1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

2011 Doll Trends?

Dec 28, 2010

1. The Western New Year is coming up really soon and with it new trends will come about. I'd like to know some predictions of everyone!

1. What trends do you see sprouting in the community?
      2. Which style in doll sculpts do you think will become more popular in 2011?
      3. What schemes do you think will be popular? Fantasy, realistic, chic, etcetera?
      4. Which company do you expect to put out the best designs for the new year?
      5. What clothing styles do you think will become the "it" thing in 2011? Steampunk, Lolita, Historical-inspired, etc.
      6. What are some marketplace trends you see coming?
      7. What re-releases do you see being released?

2. I didn't want to answer the questions in the first post, so, I'll just reply here now that some time has passed.

1. What trends do you see sprouting in the community? I haven't a clue, honestly. I don't keep up with the community en mass. ><
      2. Which style in doll sculpts do you think will become more popular in 2011? Fantasy but grim.
      3. What schemes do you think will be popular? Fantasy, realistic, chic, etcetera? Futuristic fantasy. I don't know why I see that, but I do.
      4. Which company do you expect to put out the best designs for the new year? I'm too biased to answer this.
      5. What clothing styles do you think will become the "it" thing in 2011? I see Pirate-themes going up in popularity, and Steampunk.
      6. What are some marketplace trends you see coming? Hopefully more order and sells of long-sold-out items.
      7. What re-releases do you see being released? I hope to see some classic boy beauties, since we saw some girls released last year.

3. One of the small frustrations I have in the hobby is the repeated aesthetics and types of clothing... although, who can blame them for producing what sells? I've seen companies going with a fantasy theme lately; designs that are like soom's MDs have been popular. To a lesser degree, there have been Victorian vampires with frilly shirts, and way too many Alice in wonderland themed dolls, in my opinion.

The thing is, because of the specific storyline and tastes people set up for their dolls, all of the styles you mentioned are likely to continue in the same proportion, without one overturning the other. I do find it interesting that despite there being a fairly large interest in steampunk, I haven't seen a lot of companies make clothes that blatantly portray the style rather than just hint at it. So, I'm guessing that will be something to see in the future, as well as more "magical forest" brand of fantasy.

I personally would like to see "realistic" styles that don't fall into the clean-cut categories of casual, lolita, punk, goth, etc., more avante garde.

In terms of sculpts, I'd like to see character being more a priority than flawlessness.

4. This is a tough one to answer, because I'm not really up on stuff that doesn't interest me (there would be too much to keep track of otherwise), so there may be trends brewing that I've been completely oblivious to. One thing I have noticed is a few more companies here and there putting out smaller SDs that are down towards the 50cm end. So perhaps there will be more odd sized dolls come out.

I think the clothing styles that are already popular will continue, but I could see steampunk and fantasy type clothes making more of an appearance (or at least it would make sense if they did) considering what people seem to be interested in.

5. I can't really say what is to come for 2011 but I have noticed a steady decline in the initial bout of girl dolls in froofy dresses in favor of more casual styles. I don't really think there is that much of a insurgence of fantasy styled dolls. It seems to me that fantasy styled dolls have always been present but companies have only in recent years started catering to that need. More affordable doll companies have sprung recently as well.

It could be the recent economic climate but it seems to me that everything is being scaled back. Designers are using less fabric in their outfits (less lolita dress and more hipster/indie styles) and more people are trying their own hand at faceups. I've also noticed more and more Chinese companies coming to the forefront. We also seem to be heralding a younger generation than before. More inexpensive options are available now, more then they ever have.

I agree, we've had way too many Alice in Wonderland dolls in recent memory.

6. I second this. Perfect is getting boring.

7. I honestly don't expect any real 'trends' to form for 2011. At least not any that would qualify as particularly new.
      Fantasy's always gonna sell, so's pretty boys. But I'm absolutely fine with whatever the companies come up with, as long as it's not Alice in Wonderland themed anymore. There's been way too much Alice this year.

8. 1. What trends do you see sprouting in the community?
      I don't really expect any o_O...All I do is for my own likings......
      No idea???
      3. What schemes do you think will be popular? Fantasy, realistic, chic, etcetera?
      XD...Recently getting very volksed ......So I guess it's fantasy ?*reisner>0<!!!!(fangirl screams)*
      This will be a very biased answer.......
      5. What clothing styles do you think will become the "it" thing in 2011? Steampunk, Lolita, Historical-inspired, etc.
      It doesn't matter to me as long as it fits the doll well=''=...

Defnitely,more reselling of dolls >_>...
      Genji...... D: . . . . . *eeps*

9. 1. What trends do you see sprouting in the community?
      Hopefully, more swaps! XD I'm such a swap whore. XD

I certainly see more dark sculpts, which is nice. There is a little bit of a surge for less pale and pretty and more dark and disturbing, which makes it nice. I've always been a lover of scars and freckles. XD I like problems and things that are broken. It's what we've been through that makes us different and makes us grow. So to see little issues like that, it makes them prettier. Besides, a little darkness in a faery tale is nice. XD

Well, we've seen some more 'fashion doll esque' types come out last year. Lots of things out there to consider. But there was a bit too many hooves and Alice in Wonderland. It seemed like it was everywhere and it has to stop. The fantasy is nice, but can't we get original with our fantasy, please?

Hard to say, new ones are springing up all the time but I do hope a couple companies start going the way of the recycle bin for all their shotty customer service...

Right now, steampunk is sorta popular. Not OMG popular, but a little popular. With people, they seem to be doing their own thing. Dolls usually reflect people. It'll be a hard year to reflect. I see sparkly things. Lots of jangle and updos. XD Fine stuff for the men. XD I dunno. Maybe that's just me.

Cheaper pricing as people continue to pair down and it continues to be soft aside from the rare and valueable.

I'm not in the rare and valueable market, I can't say. But sometimes doll companies can suprise you~

:3

10. 1. What trends do you see sprouting in the community?
      The proliferation of new releases is really starting to get a little out of hand. I don't see this trend changing any time soon, but it seemed to pick up around the middle of 2010, and I have no reason to doubt that it will continue.

As much as I love fantasy sculpts, and expect we'll see even more of them coming out in 2011, I expect to see a return to realism or something more dramatically anime-inspired soon, at least from a few companies. The realistic sculpt market has so many options at this point, it's going to start showing decreasing returns on a per-sculpt basis sooner or later, and the designers will have to contend with that issue.

I don't think the chic/fashion-based styles are likely to pick up too much, mostly because -- in spite of the fact that everyone does have some sort of fashion and interest in it related to their dolls -- the word 'fashion' has such a negative connotation in this community due to the perceptions about what fashion dolls are (or aren't) that it is a risky proposition from the outset, and the companies have doubtless figured this out by now. (Note that I don't really think that's a good thing, but it it what it is.) I expect to see a lot more fantasy, in part because it sells, and there's plenty of untapped potential still there. I liked seeing more of the 'horror' and edgy sculpts that came out in 2010, and am very hopeful we'll see more like this in 2011 as well.

I like a lot of different companies, so I couldn't really say I see one outstripping the others entirely. A lot of them have very diverse offerings now, so that alone can make it hard to say 'I think this company will outshine the others'. I have my long-term love of Soom, and think they'll continue to do well, but their face sculpts are getting more hit and miss with me than they were in the past. Similarly, I think Souldoll will continue to put out wild and wonderful concepts that are pretty unique. Fairyland has surprised everybody this year more than once, so I wouldn't put it past them to start expanding on the fantasy options for their Chic and F65 lines this year in ways that make our eyes pop out of our heads and start with the drooling. ;)

To be fair, I don't really pay as much attention to this -- I wouldn't really know. I'm happy doing my own thing in that regard.

I think the slowing will continue for a bit. I see this linked to the economy more than anything else. Like things didn't slow completely here when the economy hit bottom, though, I don't expect that things will pick up entirely once it recovers.

I expect to see more of the Soom ones, and am looking forward to a few of them. :)

11. 1. What trends do you see sprouting in the community?
      Bishi-boys ^^. And a lot of strange fantasy-parts (A doll with a koi head would be very funny xD)

Limiteds and some realistic? I dont know... maybe some Luts,DZ or Dod-dolls?

Fantasy, Steam-punk... everything like these. Some company released this year mages so I hope,that there will be some more guys with staff and menskirt =D
      Maybe some Angel/demon stuff... it could depend on what kind of movie is released. (Like the Alice-Boom)

Soom (bought 2 of them at the end of the year...). Some Souldolls have been really stunning too- but they aren`t avialable in tan >.>
      I was disappointed by Spiritdoll

Visual and Lolita-style will be as popular as this year. I hope to see some fantasy-clothings, that isn`t limited and not so generous (my boys are shy).
      I would love to see clothing for different sizes too. Buying clothing is sometimes like gambling if it fits.

Maybe a lot of Unoas? (they have been very popular this year)

Soom.

12. 1. What trends do you see sprouting in the community?
      I don't forsee much of a change from last year.

Same as always.

Same as always.

Souldoll and SOOM has done a great job with fantasy sculpts in 2010. Iplehouse as always releases beautiful dolls that look like real people.

I hope historical styles.

Ditto cheaper pricing.

SOOM Limiteds

13. 1. What trends do you see sprouting in the community? This is a bit of a tough one. I think there may continue to be people being more restrained with purchases, but I do suspect there will be some improvement in people's optimism. A cautious upturn, I suppose is my prediction.

2. Which style in doll sculpts do you think will become more popular in 2011? Well, in 2010 I saw hints of a bit of a return to older styles of sculpts and outfits, although the realistic sculpts/fantasy parts seemed to pick up steam again. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a continued, if subdued, reaction against the trend towards realism. I think fantasy stuff is going to stay pretty strong for a while yet.

Fantasy will remain strong, I think. Possibly more chic as well, as there were the chicline and Souldoll's vito and various other smaller-headed, smaller sculpts, although I wouldn't expect that trend to dominate.

Fairyland's FeePle65 makes me suspect they will be big contenders for that. Volks and Crobidoll I also have high expectations for, especially Volks's upcoming SDGr girl.

I don't think there ever really is an "it" style in the community these days. It's just too big and diverse.

Prices falling on second-hand dolls, but a general improvement in marketplace sales. This may be rampant optimism!

Cecile, Tsukasa or Shirou. Perhaps LUTS will do a Senior Delf LE for their Untold Story series.

14. I would love it if more historical outfits would come available - I know there are lots but I just love fashion from centuries ago...its so magical to me, because the era is so long gone you can only dream about what it might have been like.

15. What a tough bunch of questions! The only thing I predict is a rise in Steampunk-themes costuming, by bigger companies as well as individual artists. It's strange, but as a long-time lover of steampunk and a jewelry designer, I've suddenly seen my local bead stores plugging "altered art" and "timeless beauty" that is, let's face it, stuff made with watch parts. Then they turn to me and try and talk about it as though its some new idea! Right... but I do see it's sudden marketablity as a rise in popularity of this truely awesome genre and as it's already well-adapted to BJDs could easily become mainstream.

I predict that Soom will have completely saturated the market with fantasy-based dolls and the people will cry out for something new, and Steampunk will be their answer!

16. 1. What trends do you see sprouting in the community?
      I think the continued spread of "Soom" style fantasy parts. Peapod seems to be doing well with that, among others.

There seems to be a pretty even level of popularity across the board currently and that seems like it will continue. Naturally, there's always a demand for Volks LEs and Soom's MDs.

Fantasy parts always seem to be pretty popular. At least they have been for the last few years.

For overall head sculpts I think Volks will continue to excel. Soom is doing well with interesting parts, but I feel their heads have been in a similar style a lot lately.

I'm kind of wondering if there will be an influx of that sort of boho-"hippy" look. When we were in Japan just last November I noticed a lot of girls in long, baggy, flowy styles of clothing. I'm hoping that crosses into the doll world a little. Steampunk would certainly be a 2nd spot prediction. It's EVERYWHERE!!

I'm not sure that I expect any real trend in our marketplace here on DoA. There's always a fairly diverse selection. Even hard to find, older Volks sculpts are popping up.

Any number of Soom MDs. They seem to be doing well with the non-fantasy rereleased of MD head sculpts. That'll continue. I know I'm HOPING for a Volks Lieselotte to go with my Charlotte, but that won't happen any time in the near future.