1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Souldoll Product Review

Nov 3, 2012

1. Please copy and paste this template, then give your responses. :)

* What did you order?
      * When did you order?
      * Was the quality appropriate for the price, in your opinion?
      * Did the item look like the sales pictures?
      * Were you satisfied with the product?
      * Tell us some of the positives and negatives about this product (optional)
      * Would you buy more from this company?

Feel free to include one or two photos of your purchase.

2. I just want to say I'm sorry this is so negative, and I'm not out to offend anyone. I just wanted to be completely honest.

* What did you order? Hunoi and Arina, soulkids in sandy brown skin on NL bodies.

* When did you order? August 7th, 2012.

* Was the quality appropriate for the price, in your opinion? To be honest? Not quite. The NL body for both boys and girls is very wobbly when standing in bare feet. There is limited pose-ability at hip joints, wrists and ankles. Compared to my other dolls, the eyeballs don't fit that snugly against the opening of the eye inside the head.

* Did the item look like the sales pictures? The sandy brown skin is much lighter than it looked in the pictures, I felt disappointed. Also, Arina looks quite different from her photographs, her sculpt is not as pretty (to me, just my opinion!) In real life.

I actually feel disappointed. So no. I will try hard to bond with these dolls though.

* Tell us some of the positives and negatives about this product (optional) Positive: They ARE very willowy, leggy and beautiful. Hunoi's face is hauntingly beautiful. Negative: The lack of pose-ability is a big negative for me.

No. I won't be buying more Soul dolls.

3. Copied some parts from my existing reply in "Souldoll Feedback (2010)"

* What did you order?
      SoulKids (Kid Girl) Arina (1/4, 43 cm)
      With Sandy Brown skin.
      With NL girl body.
      With custom face-up request.
      Got 1 pair of random eyes and 1 random wig.
      NO CLOTHING.

* When did you order?
      I paid in layaway term. So I first ordered on 3 July 2012.
      After final payment was confirmed 2 months later in September, the doll was shipped immediately the next day.

Absolutely! :aheartbea

Yes. But since I got custom face-up, I would say my doll looks far prettier :lol:

Totally satisfied. I am so in love with my girl.

Positives: Good size, light-weight, easy to carry around for photo trips.
      Very good pose-ability, as the NL body has wonderful joints.
      The custom face-up is gorgeous. They did the job nicely and pretty much precise to my request picture.
      The body shape and skin is just completely fabulous. Resin is so smooth. Colour is perfectly even. No blemish or blotch.

I would say this doll Arina is perrrrrrrrfect for me.
      The negatives below are just precautions and minor outfit problems, which can easily be solved on customer's end.

Negatives:
      She arrived with slightly loose string (only around the shoulders, strange enough!)
      It is quite hard to pose her with any of the arms up
      (for example, pointing a hand directly forward, or spreading arms out, open arms, like going to give a big hug).
      Might be able to solve the problem by restringing. I haven't tried yet.

Also, she is in sandy brown resin, it is easy to see scrape marks on the resin where the joints scrub against each other.
      So I will need to take extra care when changing her pose, trying not to make the joints scrape each other.

It might be a bit tough to find ready-made outfit, as the NL body I got has quite big breast and big hips.
      So some standard-sized MSD clothing might not fit, i.e. I have problem putting a pair of jeans overall on her because the thighs stuck.
      Can solve this problem by choosing other type of clothing, or order a specifically tailored outfit.

Additionally, the head size can be difficult to find a good wig.
      Usually, other MSD wigs turn out to be too big.
      Even the silicon head cap (to put on the head under the wig) of size 1/4 cannot fit (too big!)
      I am now using silicon cap sized 1/6 on her.

Yes, of course. And I highly recommend Soul Doll!

Picture:
      The one on the right is my Arina.
      The one on the left is my friend's Hunoi.
      We ordered together so they arrived together.

[​IMG]

4. What did you order?
      I ordered a Souldoll Soul-kid Janne in Sandy brown skin with a face up

* When did you order?
      I ordered my girl June 18

Absolutely. The face up is gorgeous, and the skin color is VERY natural.

Yes, but I think she looks better.

Yes, most definitely!

Positives:
      Despite the long wait she came beautifully. Her resin color is gorgeous and her face up couldn't be better.
      Negatives:
      Like my other souldoll she came very tightly strung. This isn't necessarily a negative to me, but it could present problems to others who prefer loosely strung dolls.
      Of course! I hope to have a couple more Souldolls!

5. * What did you order?
      SoulKid Arina in Sandy Brown with NL Body (through Alice's Collections)

* When did you order?
      August 3rd, 2012

Yes, yes yes. Superb quality in terms of resin, doll construction and face up. I actually received the face up for free since I purchased her during the Summer Event period, but for $35 the face up is a STEAL and I would have gladly paid for it.

Even better! Though it is personal preference, the one minor issue I had with Arina's default face up was that her lip cover did not fully cover her bottom lip. To my surprise and delight, I saw that my girl has her entire bottom lip painted. I want to mention that I did find the Sandy Brown skin tone lighter than expected, but soon realized that all of the promotional photos show a blushed body which naturally makes it look darker in that it uses her base color as a highlight.

Absolutely! I couldn't be happier.

Positive:
      - heavy, smooth matte resin
      - perfect face up
      - beautiful and revolutionary body

Negative:
      - The NL body does have some minor issues. Her legs are strung separately which is odd, so there is nothing to hold them up while posing. Luckily there are ledges which support their weight but only when both hip joints are bent all the way. This stringing also prevents her from spreading her legs. Another issue is her arm sockets. Since SoulDoll was trying to minimize the hole showing, they opted to put a large hole in the center for mobility; the problem with this is that there is little friction between the two parts so it feels loose.
      - Her headcap is only held on by two magnets so it isn't as secure as it could be. It hasn't been an issue though.

If I wasn't so adamant about only buying one doll per company I would start a SoulDoll collection!

[​IMG]
      Arina Box Opening 9 by ✧Venetica, on Flickr

I have a review on the NL Body if anyone is interested! You can find it here:)

6. * What did you order?
      Soulkid, Shaun with faceup
      * When did you order?
      Around the end of August.
      It was a little too high but I was totally okay with it.
      Not that much. The faceup does but of course the promo pictures always had nice color tones. Doesn't mean the real thing look bad though. I really liked it.
      Yes. But could be better. I just need to bodybrush it.
      The sheemlines are too visible. I'll just have to sand that out so no problem. Also that the pose isn't stable around his arms. They kept flipping back to original pose when ever I tried to put him in a different pose.
      Yes. I already ordered Arina. I just can't help it. It's probably one of the best company that does nice faceup and unique sculpts. I liked the fact that the heads are 6-7". It makes the doll look more right cause in my opinion I think 7-8" heads are too big.

7. * What did you order?
      I ordered a Souldoll Double body, male. It was the new body, and I have the Yurr head as well.

* When did you order?I placed the order in Sept, through DDE.

I believe so. I do not see seams, and he feels so smooth to the touch.

Yes, better in person, since it's hands on.

Very much so.

POS: The body is sturdy, stands superbly. The seems are not visable at a glance, and he feels so smooth. (I must have been lucky, as there are a few reviews of the seems showing and a not so smooth texture?)
      CONS: I waited about 21 weeks for this doll body. Souldoll was incredibly behind, and didn't appear to communicate all that well at all with DDE. When I ordered in Sept, Souldoll was still saying 6-8 weeks. In reality, they where behind 12 weeks or more.

I will have to think about it. I waited for about 21 weeks, with very little communication about what was going on with Souldoll. I'm thankful Denver Doll kept in touch though. Waiting that long, without knowing, was sort of a put off. The doll I have is very nice though, and perhaps my case is just unique.

8. *What did you order?
      I ordered a Soulkid Flett from Denver Doll Emporium with factory faceup and natural skin.
      *When did you order?
      I ordered Feb 4, 2013 and it arrived today Feb. 11, 2013 because it was "in stock".
      *Did the item look like the sales picture?
      Yes, but the factory faceup was a bit more subtle and lighter, which I don't mind, as it was lovely.
      *Positives or negatives...
      I was very impressed, this is my first bjd, as I am waiting for others I ordered weeks ago from Iplehouse. The quality was amazing, there was not one visible line, all was smooth. She seemed to be well strung and stands well alone. I am not only pleased with Souldoll, but also with Denver Doll Emporium.
      *Would you buy more from this company?
      Definitely. The quality is impressive. I would order through Denver Doll Emporium though.

9. * What did you order?
      YGD-S (soul sweet outfit), 2 pairs of eyes, 3 pairs of eyelashes
      * When did you order?
      March 22, 2013 -> arrived today (so 2 weeks)
      yep!
      the rim on one of the pairs of eyes is darker than the pictures (though I don't mind), and everything else is perfect.
      yep again
      -the underskirt is actually attached. While I was planning on not using it, it doesn't really bother me.
      -more of an observation, but the eyes are obviously smaller in comparison to the eyes I have from other companies in the same size (12mm)
      yes (:

10. * What did you order? Zenith Ian with special faceup
      * When did you order? May 8 and arrived on July 20
      * Was the quality appropriate for the price, in your opinion? Absolutely
      * Did the item look like the sales pictures? Yes
      * Were you satisfied with the product? Very satisfied; I've never experienced such fast and friendly service.
      * Tell us some of the positives and negatives about this product (optional) Positives: beautiful resin, beautiful aesthetics. Negatives: not much really, he's perfect!
      * Would you buy more from this company? Absolutely. I want to get Gwen next but probably won't get her till later.

11. * What did you order?
      Souldoll Limited Ossian sandy brown with B type faceup

* When did you order?
      I placed my order through Alice's Collections May 30th 2013.
      He arrived July 20th 2013(faster than I expected!)

It's hard to say, I really love pretty much everything about this doll, though no one's perfect. I'd say in comparison to other dolls and their prices, his aesthetics alone make him worth the price. Considering all of the work gone into getting resin to look like that, I'd say it's worth it.

At first I thought he looked really different, but once he had a wig on that suited his face and body proportions I was reminded again of what lured me in about him.

Very satisfied, the wait was less than I expected and the body is proving why I was drawn to it in the first place.

Positives: The skin color is really beautiful, it is such a warm color and looks absolutely enchanting irl. The faceup is really well done and overall the doll looks very realistic. It took me a while to get used to the proportions, but he really is quite handsome. This sculpt, to me, is very expressive and can show different emotions depending on the angle and I find that very impressive. The Zenith body sculpt is just to die for, it's just the right amount of everything. The detail on the hands and feet are a really nice touch.

Negatives: Although the body is amazing, the wide shoulders make it awkward for a "arms up" pose, it always looks like he's starting the YMCA. xD It just makes it a little harder to dress him. Souldoll sent him very tightly strung so his arms and legs tend to kick into the folded position and the knee joints take a second or two longer of convincing to go back into place. Also because he's so tight, it's gonna be a bugger restringing him because in his arms especially the string wont even come out of the arm to get the s-hook off.

I would, if I had the money. xD I love the Zenith body style for one of my characters so I might be getting one of those later. However, considering the price tag for this boy, I'll be paying him off for a while before anyone else comes home. I haven't looked too much into SoulDoll's other sculpts, but I will definitely browse them.

12. * What did you order? Souldoll Hunoi w/ face-up & white skin old boy body
      * When did you order? Summer 2013
      * Was the quality appropriate for the price, in your opinion? Definitely.
      * Did the item look like the sales pictures? Yes he does.
      * Were you satisfied with the product? Yes, I am.

Highs:
      -Good posing and jointing overall.
      -Good range of movement, up and down, with his head.
      -Very high-quality feel to the resin.

Issues:
      -HUGE hands.
      -He won't sit up straight. Even without pants on. (Edit: He sits up straight better now. I guess his strings needed to loosen up a bit.)

* Would you buy more from this company? The MSDs, definitely.

Image:

[​IMG]

13. * What did you order? Soulkid Randor (Sandy Brown) with face up.

* When did you order? Ordered on November 8th, 2013, shipped on February 21st, 2014, and arrived on February 25th, 2014. Souldoll stated that the doll would be shipped within 10-12 weeks from the date that the full payment is received but they took 15 weeks to ship the doll. I contacted them and they stated that they were held back with the Sandy Skin orders, but I also imagined that since the order was placed close to their Christmas event as well, with the rush of orders and such the delay is understandable.

* Was the quality appropriate for the price, in your opinion? Resin feels very smooth to the touch and the face-up is very nicely done. I really like the glittery glow that the face up has when exposed to light. The only thing that I didn't like was that there were very pronounced seam lines (to the point that at first I thought they were surface cracks) on the left side of the doll but the company had stated that they cannot sand the seam lines because it would cause the resin to lighten in those areas, so at least they had warned the buyers before hand, it's just that I wasn't expecting them to be so pronounced. (Will post pictures later).

* Did the item look like the sales pictures? Yes and No. The face-up did look just like the one shown in the promo pictures and it is beautifully done, but the resin color is different compared to the promo pictures. In the promo pictures you would see a very nice brown tan but the actual product's resin color is much, much more lighter when I opened the box at first glance I thought they had sent me a Normal Skin color.

* Were you satisfied with the product? Aside from the pronounced seam lines and the skin tone not matching what appears in the promo pictures, I am satisfied with it. It is a very beautiful sculpt, in my opinion, and the body poses very nicely.

Positives:
      • Very nice sculpt with a beautiful face up. It even included eyelashes!
      • Pose-ability is very nice, I've haven't had any problems so far.
      • Smooth resin.

Negatives:
      • A bit annoying to make him stand up, but it could be due to the tight stringing.
      • Skin color is not like the promotional pictures. It's not even close.
      • It came in with some small dark spots but nothing a magic eraser can't remove.

* Would you buy more from this company? Yes, definitively.

14. * What did you order?
      Soul Doll Kids Hunoi, sandy brown skin

* When did you order?
      Summer 2013

Yes

Yes and no. The sculpt and make up is perfect and beautiful like in the sales pictures but the skin is much lighter. So far it doesn't really look like sand brown skin, it looks like a slightly, very slightly, tan on a normal pink resin. I wanted the doll for a more tanned character I had it mind so this was my only disappointment.

Yes

* Tell us some of the positives and negatives about this product (optional):
      As others stated before me, the photos lie. Those make the sandy brown look far more darker than it really is. However the face sculpt is just as beautiful as show in their website and the face up is of great quality. The poseavility could be better if they worked a bit more on the hips joins but overall is a really good doll. It was also my first one and one of my favorites.

Yes.

15. * What did you order?
      Souloid Phiel Gold (Mechanic Ver.) Fullset

* When did you order?
      2016-07-30

Yes. It was my first time ordering from this company and they do charge a bit more on the higher end compared to other brands, but in my opinion, the quality more than makes up for it. Especially their clothing - their outfits are wonderfully detailed and you can tell the fabrics aren't cheap.

Yes. But be aware that a face-up can affect a doll's appearance quite a bit. Thankfully Souldoll always provides a picture of the bare head in their sales page.

Yes. The only issue I have with it is with the posing of the body, unfortunately the Souloid body isn't very steady on it's legs. Everything above the waist is fine, but the legs have a slight backwards angle to them that make balancing the doll very difficult. I usually have to use a doll stand if I want to leave him standing for any prolonged period of time.

+ Detailed and clean sculpting, with nicely symmetrical facial features. The mechanical portion of the body is just beautiful, with surprisingly little marbling visible on the gold resin.

+ Very flexible wrist and ankle joints. Head is also very posable.

+/- Not sure if this is a positive or a negative, but Souldoll resin seems to be noticeably lighter compared to my Luts and Mystic Kids dolls. It also has a very subtle grainy feel to it.

- The mobility of the body is somewhat limited. The arm sockets are smooth and do not have anything to fix the arms in place, so some type of suede might be necessary. They also cannot move past above the shoulder as they are covered over by the torso piece. Getting the doll to stand is possible, but is tricky and feels unsteady.

I'll definitely be back for more outfits and accessories from them, but I'll probably hold back on the dolls unless I see something really special.

#15 Rozel, Feb 5, 2017
      Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    16. * What did you order? Souldoll Vito Lester in normal skin and H-double body (no face-up).
      * When did you order? July 19th, 2016 - arrived on January 23rd.
      * Was the quality appropriate for the price, in your opinion? This was my first doll, so I don't really have that much experience to make any comparisons, but so far I would dare to say that the price was... a tiiiiiny bit too high compared to the quality of the final product, maybe? Don't get me wrong, he's gorgeous, he came here in perfect shape (as in, no broken parts or whatever) and I love him from the bottom of my heart, but he's also got a few issues (listed below) I wasn't too happy with.
      * Did the item look like the sales pictures? Yes. His face is even prettier in real life, actually <3
      * Were you satisfied with the product? Overall, yes.
      * Tell us some of the positives and negatives about this product
      Positives:
      • Beautifully sculpted;
      • Perfect size, not only for the character I had in mind, but also to handle and store: I don't have much available space in my room, so the fact that he's not too huge definitely helps;
      • Finding clothes for him was not quite as difficult as I thought it would be. Granted, SD clothes do look a tad too big on him, but not too huge;
      • Stands pretty well and, despite his stringing issues, can still do a decent amount of poses, even on his "weak" arm;
      Negatives:
      • His legs and left arm are a bit loosely strung. He won't sit up straight and his knees tend to bend easily. He can move his left forearm pretty well, but the upper arm can't be lifted at all and will always fall back to its default position;
      • He's got seams on his left arm and hand. On the hand, the seams are very sharp and noticeable;
      • The resin around one of his eyes appears to be a bit thin. Not overly thin, but still thin enough that if you put his head in front of a lamp when he doesn't have his eyes/head cap on, you can see the light getting through the resin (something that doesn't happen with the other eye).
      • Although Vito head circumferences appear to be listed on the Souldoll website as being "about 6.5 inches", the 6-7 inches wig I got for him from ForMyDoll didn't fit his head at all. However, this could be a FMD issue and not a Souldoll one.
      * Would you buy more from this company? Well, I do have another one of their dolls in my wishlist, so maybe in the future... =)

*Image:
      [​IMG]

#16 Astraea Nevermore, Feb 6, 2017
      Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    17. * What did you order? Souloid LAVI-silver (mechanic vers.)
      * When did you order? August 2016
      * Was the quality appropriate for the price, in your opinion? Not really sure. I spent 900 usd for a MSD. She has a lot of good points and she's very unique, but maybe the price was a little too much.
      * Did the item look like the sales pictures? Yes, except for the wig (it's soft but I can see the cap through the hair).
      * Were you satisfied with the product? Absolutely! I love her distinctiveness!

Pro:
      • Silver/grey skin
      • Lower part of the body is robotic like.
      • Outfit is freaking good looking and amazingly sewed
      • Headdress
      • Make up is custom and it is exactly as I wanted it to be
      • Visible gear on her arm
      • The pillow Souldoll gave me as part of the event
      • Rich event gifts: a pair of eyes of my choosing + a one of the heads they released this summer (I choose Swinte NS)

Cons:
      • The wig (I can see the cap through the hair).
      • The sleeve of the dress: I had to remove the hand to be able to put the corset on.
      • One of the arms can't bend really well.
      • (not really a con because soul doll warned about this in the description of the doll) Metal paint chips easily

* Would you buy more from this company? Count me in!

If you want to see the doll: https://denofangels.com/threads/soul-doll-souloid-lavi-silver-mechanic-ver.737645/

18. * What did you order?
      Souloid Phiel gold mechanic, WS upper, no face-up/blushing; free head: Titika w/default face-up, eyes for another doll

* When did you order?
      Layaway started at the end of the order period in August, paid off in October, doll arrived Dec. 1, 2017

Yes. Warrick is my 2nd Souldoll, first in this size, so I was a little familiar with the brand. The resin is smooth and nice to the touch with a good weight to it without being too heavy. No noticeable seam lines.

The mech body looked even better in my opinion with a lot of the casting details like the screws looking like they were real and could actually be turned. The Titika head face-up looked like the photos and I'm quite happy with it.

Yes, he was what I was hoping he'd be. The eyes ended up not working out for the doll I bought them for but that is the fault of the sculpt (I should've gone down a size instead of what I ordered) and not SD. The eyes are very nice and like pictured if a touch darker than shown on the site.

Positive:
      Face-up looked like the promo shots, nicely strung, neither too tight nor too loose, nice pair of default eyes included that weren't blue (I always seem to get blue default eyes). He also looks awesome next to his partner and just how I pictured them together. I find him relatively easy to stand (I have dolls that are far more difficult to stand).
      Negative:
      The default face-up has more pink blushing than I'd normally get in a face-up and when he doesn't have his wig on, I think the blushing looks overdone and I don't like it. But put his wig on and the pink blushing seems to blend away and isn't right in your face. The mech body doesn't have enough marbling for me. I was hoping for more and even let SD know that I'd like it if he had a lot. This is not a fault of theirs, however, and I knew going in that they'd be trying to minimize the marbling as most people didn't want that.

Yes. I have plans to buy a Vito Rail later this year and am looking forward to that purchase as I've wanted him for years but needed to wait until I found his partner (which I have and have ordered).

[​IMG]
      Just after unboxing. he now has tattoos on his chest and arms but I haven't taken pics of those yet.

19. * What did you order? Bought second hand Souldoll Soul-Double Soo Hyun
      * When did you order? Bought april 2017
      * Was the quality appropriate for the price, in your opinion? This is a great doll
      * Did the item look like the sales pictures? Yes
      * Were you satisfied with the product? Yes
      * Tell us some of the positives and negatives about this product (optional) He has yellowed and is stained. But he poses really good.
      * Would you buy more from this company? I think so.

Link to my body review for the Soul-Double body:

20. * What did you order?
      Mint blue Zenith Bella with Shiva 4-arms body and extra hands
      * When did you order?
      Sometime back in early 2017
      The doll is beautiful. Despite the unusual and dark resin color there are no imperfections on the resin from what I can see. The sculpt itself is gorgeous and poses relatively well given the time period it was created in.
      Yep!
      Absolutely
      I expected a six month wait based on other limited dolls from Souldoll and a six month wait was what I got! I only used their CS for adding extra hands onto my order, which went smoothly. Can't speak for their CS quality if anything goes awry, though.
      Definitely.