1. Become a DoA Archivist!
    Volunteers Needed!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Mod team regrets to inform the community that Mirodoll is now banned from Den of Angels. Please view the following thread:
    Mirodoll Banned from DoA
    Dismiss Notice

A For Life Hobby or a For Now Interest?

Sep 9, 2010

1. I actually read the titles on all seven pages of this forum and didn't see anything that looked like it may be this question! I'm really and truly interested to see what you all have to say on this!

*Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?
      *Do you feel as though someday you'll loose interest and get out of the hobby?
      *Can you see yourself passing your BJD collection on as a sort of heirloom (or do you believe with the nature of resin, it simply would not be a pretty situation in twenty years?)?

Is it love? Is it forever?

2. I don't have any dolls yet, but when I get my dolls, (which I only intend on getting a very, very few amount. Like, as in no more than four. And two to be MSD size.) I sincerely doubt I'm just gonna get tired of them or fall out of the idea of having them or dressing them up, or the hobby.
      For one thing, the main thing that keeps me interested in the idea of the dolls is that I want to learn how to do faceups REALLY badly. AND make wigs. AND make clothes.
      I feel like it would be really fun and interesting to learn how to do all three of these things on a professional level!
      It is love, and I think it's forever- but for me, mainly for the artistic portion of it. Not just because I love the dolls.
      I hope this is a good answer. :3
      Edit: Ah, the passing on thing. Forgot to answer that. Yeah, I've thought about that too a little, but not in a serious way. I'd probably just wish that specific dolls go to specific people. Like my most loved one go to my lover, my Xal-muse doll go to my friend Dra, because our characters Xal and Dra go together, my pretty little MSD girl to my friend Rina-ran, something like that.
      :D Just a fun thought.

3. I think it's really hard to say whether I'll be into BJDs forever- there are other hobbies/fandoms/interests I would have sworn I'd be into forever but have since left or grown tired of. I do think I'll probably keep my BJDs for a long time, but I doubt I'll be particularly active in the hobby for as long as I own them. In fact, I have some doubts that the BJD craze and the hobby as it is now will still be around in 10 or 20 or more years from now, and nobody really knows how well our dolls will age once they get up there in years- the oldest resin ABJDs are only roughly 10 years old, and few people actually own one that old.

I suppose I'll just see how I go, really. If I start to lose interest, I'll lose interest... if I love them forever that's fine too. I don't think that who I am now is exactly who I'll be on the day I die, I'm sure I'll change in a lot of ways between now and then. Whether or not liking dolls is one of those things that will change... who can say. I've already had my first BJD for over 3 years and I'm still quite into the hobby, so I don't think it's a flash in the pan super-brief phase. But who can say how I'll feel in another X years?

4. Well - dunno, yet. I got my first doll in 2008 and I still got some - at least two - I'd like to get: a Volks FCS and another body for my one floating head. And there's also Shiwoo ... Oh, and that one, what's it called? Lester? Victor? *lol*

As far as I know, my interest in BJDs might just be temporary - a phase I'm moving through, like my Star Trek phase or Lord of the Rings phase, etc. I'm also not as much into BJDs as many people here seem to be. I'm actually quite content having them "hanging out" here and not doing much with them. No photo-shoots, no modding, no sanding, no sewing ... Well, there will be SOME sewing cos I gotta get their clothes right. But except for that - let's say if I ever lost interest in my dolls, that wouldn't really change their current "situation" all that much. ;)

5. I don't have a bjd yet, but when I do get one I don't think I'll ever get out of the hobby. They are very beautiful dolls and there are endless possibilities on how you can customize them :)

6. *Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?

I know that I will keep them for as long as the dolls keep, ha ha! Though who knows how long their shelf life is, even though I do take great care of them. Staying active is a maybe. My BJDs got me into a lot of new hobbies, such as doing their face-ups and jewelry-making! They have enriched my life with lots of new things. For now, I hope I'll keep active in the hobby for years.

I've loved dolls since a young age, and having a BJD is like a dream come true. I get to dress them however I want, draw them, use them in photography... people lose interest in many things, and this may be one of them. However, if it happens I hope I will be able to pass my love for the hobby onto someone else.

*Can you see yourself passing your BJD collection on as a sort of heirloom (or do you believe with the nature of resin, it simply would not be a pretty situation in twenty years)?
      It hurts me to think such beautiful dolls will be in not so great condition after a few years. I do take plenty of pictures, however, in efforts to show off their beauty while they are still in wonderful condition. If they do keep, I would love to pass them on!

7. Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?

I feel like some of my BJDs are a collection I will keep despite how my interests will change but all of them.... no I'm already trying to thin the herd as the saying goes since I have another more expensive and more important interest arriving in the near future.

I know I will not stay active in this hobby forever. I've already taken breaks from it since I got my first doll in 2002. But I don't feel just because I am on break or something else has become more important to me that I am ever going to sell off all my dolls. It just becomes a time to re-evaluate which dolls I really like.

Do you feel as though someday you'll loose interest and get out of the hobby?

I consider it more going inactive then really "getting out of." I use to be a relatively large Jenny/Licca 1/6 collector. I'm no longer actively buying, but I still like to look at occasional new releases and the Takara displays when I make it to Japanese events. I do need to thin the herd some, but my favorite dolls I am also definitely keeping. I'm an accumulator by nature and I like having possessions.

Can you see yourself passing your BJD collection on as a sort of heirloom (or do you believe with the nature of resin, it simply would not be a pretty situation in twenty years?)

I don't see the dolls as an heirloom, but assuming they are safe to be played with/touched I can see myself letting my future daughter and any of her future children play with them if they had an interest and the maturity to play with them.

I am already planning, if the interest is there, to give my future daughter my sister's old American Girl doll I inherited.

8. Well I've been in the doll hobby as an adult now for 2 years and my interest goes back and forth. I'm just sticking my toe in the BJD waters now so it's tough to say. I'd really hope its not something I'd tire of quickly since it's quite expensive and you spend so much time and thought into your dolls. Since I've had my other dolls for a while and don't plan on getting rid of them anytime soon I think it's safe to say my BJD will be around for a long time even if I'm not particularly active in the hobby. My BJD collection just won't be as extensive as my other dolls. ;D

9. I have been through many, many interests over the last 37 years but dolls have always had a special hold on me. At the moment I am very enchanted by BJDs (previously I only collected Blythe dolls) and I guess time will tell how gung-ho I will remain. I suspect this will be a lifetime interest though as BJDs are much closer to the human form and there are so many fun things you can do and make for them. I just don't get sick of looking at them :D

10. I'm pretty certain I'll "grow out" of my BJDs at some point. It'll be gradual - Maybe I'll stop playing with them as much, then I'll take them from their shelf and put them back in their boxes during a big clean-up, then they might end up in a cupboard, then eventually, I'll move into a smaller house, and decide "You know, these old dolls might sell for a bit, and it'd free up some space..."

I tend not to "Leave" hobbies in a dramatic way, I just drift away from them as life gets more complicated, or busier, or it becomes too difficult to carry on (Swimming fell by the wayside when I moved into a different age category and my coach became more interested in the upcoming younglings, archery was put on hold after a serious injury and never really came back. Both of those were things I planned to do "Until the day I died").

I don't know if they'll end up as heirlooms, but it'd be nice to think that someone got some enjoyment out of them forty or fifty years down the line - By which point they'd have the same damaged, discoloured, retro appeal as old bisque dolls have now.

11. Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?
      I think there will come a time when I am no longer concerned about finding new clothes and outfits for them. I love making dioramas and I hope that I can make one for each of my dolls :) Once I've accomplished this though I'm not sure where my interest in the hobby will go from there. I think if anything I might just keep them as pretty things in their display cabinet.

Do you feel as though someday you'll loose interest and get out of the hobby?

I doubt at this point that I would ever lose complete interest in BJDs, but there will probably be a point where I'll stop researching and making BJD purchases, and just be happy with what I have and not build on it any more.

Can you see yourself passing your BJD collection on as a sort of heirloom (or do you believe with the nature of resin, it simply would not be a pretty situation in twenty years)?
      Definitely! Dolls have been a long standing tradition in my family, and my mother inherited dolls from her mother who inherited them from her mother--dolls that survived the holocaust are of course more interesting as heirlooms, but I still think some of my more gorgeous, complete molds might spark a lot of interest in the next few generations of my family. Only problem is, I'm not having kids, and neither is my brother...so I don't think there will be another generation :(

12. With the way I am will all of my hobbies, they tend to have cycles of interest. I don't think that I've ever permanently left a hobby, even if it was dormant for several years. I will always really love the collection of dolls that I have, and I'd do my best to keep them (and in good condition). Certainly I may get into a stage of not buying any new dolls (or extra dolly items) for a good bit. Who knows when that will happen, or for how long, but considering my nature with other hobbies, I don't think I could ever say that I'd give up something for good.

As for heirlooms? Well, I am not thinking that far ahead.

13. *Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?
      I'd like to think so, or at least still have the dolls even if I wasn't activly keeping up with the goings on with companies and such.

It might, but I don't really see it hapening unless something happended and I needed to sell them all off; even then it would probably turn into the same thing thats happening with my horse riding: It will be started up again when I can afford it as I just can't at the moment.
      Really, its nothing to give up a hobby dut to time/money/space constraints and then take it back up 20+ years later when they are no longer an issue; my dad did this with archery several years ago, restarting after a 21 year gap.

*Can you see yourself passing your BJD collection on as a sort of heirloom (or do you believe with the nature of resin, it simply would not be a pretty situation in twenty years?)?

Given neither myself nor my brother want children ever, I don't know.

I think given a couple of decades, they probably would turn into more 'cabinet babies' and I won't interact with them nearly as much as I do now due to the resin. I would like to think of them still being around and their appeal chainging,
      like Ratty put it earlier

14. *Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?
      I don't know, people change with time. As do priorities. I could imagine keeping atleast one of my dolls though, I like sewing for them and making them jewelery, etc. So I can see me atleast keeping my favourite and enjoying the crafting aspect of owning a BJD.

It's hard to say, I have dropped off from alot of my long time hobbies but yet I still do engage in them here and there. I don't know if I would fully drop out of the hobby per-se... but perhaps a drop in activity within it and especially the community. I do expect to stop 'collecting' eventually though and keep my favourites. I'm not into collections of anything really, I dislike clutter and owning too much.

I really have no idea... that depends on my interest in the doll, any child/grandchild interest in the doll (that's assuming I have any of either!). Even if the dolls aged poorly and they want it and I am 'done' then I'd pass it on. Better yet if it's in great shape and has aged well.

15. *Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?
      I have yet to actually purchase a BJD, but I think I'll always be interested in the hobby.

No, but I might be a bit less avid about it.

lol I can't even imagine having any children! But, yes, I can see myself leaving them in someone else's care should they still be in good condition.

16. *Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?
      I hope that, more or less, I'll be active forever. Maybe there will come a time when I won't want to take photos of them, but I'll still like to sew for them, and probably later I'll like to make photos again, write stories, etc. Since you can do a lot of things with dolls I think I'll always find something to keep active with.

I hope not. I've never left a hobby permanently before, but my hobbies have evolved. Maybe that's the reason I never left one, because they grow with me. I don't see myself saying "I don't want anything to do with dolls and their crazy world anymore".

It's hard to say how my poor dolls will be in twenty years (yellowed as hell, I guess), but I'd love to pass them to doll loving heirs. I think it would be a really beautiful way for my children to remember me, through my dolls and the stories I created for them.

17. *Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?

Well, I won't live forever, but I still love them after six years, so I expect that I will still enjoy them until I get too old or sick to play with them.

No, because I've always liked dolls. Even if I someday lose interest in the doll community, I think I will still like my dolls.

I don't have anyone in my family who is likely to want to inherit them, so if I have enough time before I go (dreary thought!), I will probably sell them myself or leave instructions for my executor to sell them.

Is it love?
      Yes. Is it forever? Sure, why not?

18. *Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?

Hard to accurately predict this. Right now I'd say yes, I've always had dolls and these are the only kind I own now. Who can say what the future really has in store for me, what could change, what uncontrolable influences will change my life - it's all a hopeful guess.

Perhaps in the social part of the hobby but not in the dolls themselves. I really like having them around.

It's a nice idea but I'm not going to have anyone to leave them to. Maybe, maybe not.

19. Those are, IMO, impossible to answer. I've been in a lot of hobbies. Some I thought would be in forever, but after a couple of months/years the glow and interest faded. (Only the supplies/money spent last forever....) Another hobby, bonsai, I was into many years ago and fell away from it, only to pick it up again after a 10-year interval. Activity in other hobbies and crafts faded on their own, but now they've become rejuvenated and active as part of my BJD interest.

So, short of having to drop the hobby because of something like illness or The Great Termination, I feel it's impossible to say. Or at least I've learned better than to try sounding certain and knowledgeable about this. I've found life makes turns and re-routes on our roads all the time without advance notice.

20. *Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever? Do you feel as though someday you'll loose interest and get out of the hobby?

Forever is a pretty long time, and I'm hesitant to swear that I won't ever lose interest. However, I've been active in this hobby since 2005 and my interest is still going as strong as it was in the beginning, so I feel safe in predicting that I'll stay interested in it for a good long while to ome.

I don't have children and likely won't ever have any, so I don't have anybody to pass them on to. I think if I do lose interest in being active in the hobby eventually (aka: take pictures, do faceups, sew and so on), I'll most likely keep my doll collection sitting pretty on a shelf.