1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Bobobie and Resinsoul Discussion - Part 11!!

Dec 2, 2016

1. @Thymeseer
      Don't know if you've ordered anything, but above is what their purple looks like. It's very hard to photograph accurately. Bottom photo is the closest to RL coloration that I've managed.

2. My first doll, a ResinSoul Rui, has arrived! I'm attempting my first faceup and it's coming along well so far. I love how beautiful and unique her sculpt is. I plan to use golds and greens in her palette.

3. Oooh, gold and green sounds neat.

4. Lasci is older, so she's probably mellowed and the purple may have changed since she was cast, but this is a pretty accurate shot of what the color is (natural light, white wall) It's really a beautiful color
      [​IMG]

ETA - she's actually 3 separate batches of RS purple, come to think of it. Her head is the oldest, then the body, and finally the jointed hands, each ordered 1-2 years apart

5. Girrl, she's gorgeous!! Is she meant to be old-model Sylvanas or a Night Elf? I love her!! My incoming Impldoll Aurora in grey is gonna be a Val'kyr.

6. Oooh, I really love her faceup!

7. I got a sky blue Yun/Xue hybrid in from ResinSoul a couple days ago, and I'm quite pleased with the result. They're my third attempt at shelling a long-standing character of mine, and I think I've finally gotten things right this time.:celebrate

[​IMG]

Per @XanIgnis request, this is as color-accurate an image as I could manage of ResinSoul's current sky blue. It's pretty much spot on, barring any differences in individual computer settings.

Also, loving all the purple dolly spam! @XanIgnis boy's cloak and dagger/shortsword are awesome - my Long is jealous. And Lasci is gorgeous - it's awesome that all three of her resin batches match each other so well.

As a fellow purple doll owner, here's my contribution to the "attempting to capture ResinSoul's purple on camera" effort. Mora's around three years old now, but his hands were ordered about a year after he was and are a distinctly more yellowish shade than the rest of him. The photo is pretty much accurate to his color in real life - and remains accurate to his color today in spite of being taken almost a year ago, so he's mellowing quite gracefully so far.

[​IMG]

8. Oooh, thank you very much for tagging me!
      I do like the blue skin, I'll have to keep that in mind in the future.
      I love Mora's pants and vest (?), they're very cool!

9. Thanks! I made them using a modified Gracefaerie pattern - it's the most effort I've ever put into a sewing project, but the end result was well worth it (even though the doll-scale clasps are evil to operate with my human-scale hands :sweat).

10. @XanIgnis what a gorgeous color! Thanks so much for the pics! I love how he's styled as well.

@Girrl nice nice nice!! It's good to see that the resin keeps its color over the years.

@Squishle oh I love their blue! And again, what a nice purple. Your dolls are so fun!

I won't be able to order until maybe the holidays (dang American healthcare system). I've looked up the dark grey resin and I like it a lot too. I'm thinking of doing a dark purple grey because that purple really speaks to me but I want it darker. I know resinsoul does custom colors no issue.

11. @Squishle oh cool! I was just looking at some of the Gracefaerie patterns, it's nice to see that they turn out well! I'll definitely have to get a few to try.

12. She's my spouse's Night Elf and she's been with him since about May 2006. By 2012 he was super burnt out on WoW, so I started Lasci's current resin shell so she could still be an everyday part of our lives. We're at a bit of an impasse on dressing her though because I'm super not interested in making any of the armor sets she's worn without using worbla, and he doesn't want me working with worbla in our apartment (he's worried it might be bad for our animals, which is the same reason I can't use aerosol hairspray :| the things we do for love)
      Thanks! She was painted by the super talented Vitta Vera (her work is always gorgeous, but my personal favorite fantasy faceup/blushing is the one she did for my djinn)
      Thanks! I was a little worried there'd be matching issues, but RS' resin is remarkably stable, or at least the purple is, I haven't got any of their other fantasy colors (yet).
      Mora looks great, and that outfit is incredibly well done, good job :D (shame you didn't have my luck with the resin matching though, I wonder which of our experiences is the exception?)
      Thank you! As I said, I can vouch for the purple being super stable, and based on what I've heard/seen, the green holds its color well too. The blue resins RS offers, not so stable (based on what I've seen from owner comments/photos)

13. I can chime in on the colour stability from my experience. I have RS dolls in WS, dark grey, red, dark tan and old blue. The WS and dark grey are 9 years old. The red and dark tan are 8 years old. The old blue is 11 years old. My dolls live in their boxes when I'm not doing stuff with them and when I do have them out, it's very rare that they're exposed to anything other than awful apartment lighting. Individual dolls generally don't get a lot of outside time as I have 65 of them and I'm extremely limited as to where they can safely sit unattended for extended periods of time (and where I can regularly see them to enjoy the pretty).

The WS has mellowed from stark paper white to a slightly creamy white. In all honesty, unless he's next to a paper white doll, you wouldn't even see the creamy tone of his resin in natural light. The dark grey doesn't appear to have changed at all as the resin on the inside of his head cap is the same shade/tone as the resin on the outside. The same lack of change goes for the red and dark tan as well. I'd need to put those boys next to a brand new doll in those colours to check for differences in shade/tone.

The old blue.... Huge colour difference. BUT! The colour change is completely uniform over not only the resin on the outside but on the inside of his head, too. It appears to be a through-and-through colour change but without slicing into his resin I can't say that 100%. If you didn't know he was originally old blue you'd likely assume he'd been cast in the colour he currently is. Jolen has gone from the old blue (which was barely blue in the first place to be honest) to an absolutely gorgeous pale turquoise-blue. I honestly like this colour better for his character.

14. I am really appreciating all the discussion of yellowing/color stability! Almost everything I'm still thinking about ordering is definitely going to be in colored resin.

15. Have you thought about Polly Plastics thermoplastic beads for armor? There's no off-gassing or scent because you soak/submerge them in warm water from a kettle to turn them from pellets to soft, dough-like plastic. When they aren't warm anymore they become hard. My partner is very asthmatic so Im careful about what I use and these have absolutely no scent or gassing at all. They can also be used "free-hand" or with silicone molds. I use the stuff for cosplay and for crafting projects both.

16. They're great patterns - I'd definitely recommend them. Word of advice: if you're looking at them for your Yang, you'll probably have an easier time with the standard SD patterns than the 70cm ones. Proportionately, Resinsoul's 70cm body is basically just a longer version of their 60cm body (and most of that extra height is in the legs), so it's easier to elongate the SD pattern pieces than it is to take in a pattern made for a typical 70cm body. Or at least, that's what's worked best for me so far.:)

@Girrl , I think your color-matching experience is probably more typical. My most recent sky blue doll is a re-shell of a sky blue MSD I bought around two years ago, and their resin colors are almost exactly the same. I'm pretty sure Mora's hands are just the result of a slightly wonky batch of resin.

17. I'm very convinced Jolen's colour change was the result of a wonky/unstable batch. It was also 11 years ago and companies have come quite a long way in their resin formulas.

18. @Squishle - Ah, very good to know! Luckily the one 70cm pattern I was definitely eyeing was the cloak, which should be just fine! I'll keep that in mind as I look.

19. Hello. Long time doll admirer, new to the bjd hobby as of this year. This discussion thread has me very excited. A few days ago I ordered the RS Dawn centaur in purple. She’ll be my third bjd. I saw a video on YouTube of the Twilight centaur in purple and that just inspired me to get Dawn in purple. :kitty1

20. Oh that sounds gorgeous! Do you have a link to that video by chance? Id love to see>.<

Tags: