1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Bonding Issues: Have you ever struggled to bond with a specific doll sex/gender/size?

Nov 12, 2013

1. Mods: I searched but did not see a topic like this, I apologize if I missed seeing one! Please delete if so.

I recently brought my first female dolls home and realized I am having doubts (potentially regrets) about them already but also wonder if it's their size? They are both SDs and even though I have had bonding issues with male SDs in the past it wasn't this bad? I also have high hopes for a male SD I am saving for! *_*

I'd love to hear of other people's similar experiences while I weigh my options.

2. Well, when I get a new doll bonding is always an issue. No matter how much I wanted it in the first place, sometimes it doesn't click and it has to go. For me painting my dolls fu's myself is a key part in the bonding experience, in fact I don't own dolls I haven't painted myself. I've found that when I don't do it it doesn't feel right, like it isn't "my" doll. The thoughts and effort I invest in it help me to get that "right" feeling for a doll.

I get what you mean by asking if it's their size. I had the same problem when I got my first male doll because up to that point I had only owned girls. And while I had him for a good year or so (and kept his head to make a girl out of him) I came to the conclusion that male dolls just aren't for me. I still love looking at other people's pictures and I adore many male dolls but I'm certain that I'll never own one again.

I am very happy and content with just owning girl dolls (and that they're only one size; SD). I don't see why that's a problem. After all the dolls should make you happy. So if you find that you rather own one size or gender or type of doll than the other - go for it! You can still enjoy dolls you wouldn't want to own while at meets or just looking at pictures.

3. I definitely get the size thing. I have found that I really only like those 65cm+. Because of this I am going to sell two of my smaller dolls. They are lovely dolls but I just don't do much with them and they don't fit in with my others for photoshoots. I will keep one MSD even though he is small as I adore him but I will never get any more under 65cm.

4. YES.

At first, I only liked MSD, for about the first two years. Anything bigger or smaller didn't stick around long. Then.....something changed, and I fell for SD. Anything bigger or smaller than the 56-65cm range just doesn't work for me most of the time now (I have 3 exceptions--one YoSD, one 72cm, and one 8cm pet doll).

On gender--I've always had an issue bonding with female dolls, but I've figured out why and am changing that. In the past, I bought female dolls because they were pretty, not to shell a specific character. The only one I've loved for years is not the most gorgeous doll, but I love her character. Now, I've taught myself not to buy the prettiest girls, but the ones that fit characters I've created and love. I can finally bond to girls! My next two dolls are likely to be girls now. :)

5. Definitely!
      I have as of yet not had a male doll that I could bond with. I believe that it is because I've not owned a mature male doll as of yet, all of mine have been MSD (or a head, but that doesn't count!) and they looked a little too young for my liking. I have found a couple male dolls that I would absolutely LOVE to have and hope that someday I can buy them and be able to bond a bit.
      I've also had a problem with sizes larger than MSD. I just recently received my first resin SD in a long while and right now I really like the size, so we will see!

I think sometimes it is just about finding the right doll. Even if you do not like one male/female doll you've had it doesn't mean there isn't one out there for you.

6. A lot of what you guy's have said makes so much sense! Especially CloakedSchemer's comment on characters, I think that actually may be why I haven't connected with my girls! I bought one with the idea of creating her into a character from a book I adore but since that character is not /mine/ she still doesn't feel connected with me enough. I think i'll play around with some character idea's and see what I can come up with and if we don't bond well... I'm sure she'll find a happy home with someone else!

Maybe this will be a good challenge for me too! I have quite a large amount of male OCs that I have been shelling into dolls (or wanting dolls of) so perhaps if I just try to broaden my OC's from mostly boys to a more even ratio I will have some luck. Guess we shall see! Got some inspiration now, and even though I haven't bonded with some boys before either I am now more certain that had to do with sculpt more than anything.

7. Jeez, yes. I can't bond with an MSD to save my life. I don't know what it is. All the MSDs I've had or wanted so far I've moved on from for various reasons, but I just... can't get attached to them like I can with bigger or smaller dolls, I guess? I mean, I can barely handle my tallest doll right now, but I could never part with him, and I've got a bunch of shorter but thicker dolls on my wishlist, so clearly I don't have that big of an issue with larger dolls. And I adore about half of the Soom tinies, oh my gosh, soon I'll have five Soom tiny hybrids. And I've got a realpuki too! I mean, she's a stretch, I don't want any other dolls that small or even close to that small, but I love her so that's that. But MSD... I dunno... I love the fact that you can carry them around way easier and they're easier to handle and pose (in general, because of weight) and yet... I can't seem to make it work. Love SD. Love YoSD. But the middle ground? Nuh uh.

8. I still struggle with my MSD so I totally understand, however I plan on bringing home another msd? Figures. Maybe having a second will help my first guy fit in. Still... yoSD's seem to be my best bet right now and I never thought that would be the case.

9. I didn't have that problem with my first, my with my second I sure have. I think the reasons I wasn't bonding at first were 1. She is an SD and a huge size leap from a YoSD, which is my only other doll, 2. She was an impulse buy, and 3. I had nothing prepared for her when she got here so I couldn't really do much with her. Now that I've become more used to her size and have begun to make her some clothes, I'm finding myself really enjoying her more.

10. No I have not struggled over gender or size. I have gotten annoyed by a -company- even though I liked the dolls very much. I just got incredibly frustrated trying to get the dolls to sit properly let alone stand. It's a pity because I love their faces but not their obnoxious bodies!

11. The MSD size for sure; I've had one in my dolly household for years now and I still treat her like the forgotten "middle child" she is even though I love her aesthetic so much. I bond with my SD and tinies much much more than her for sure and would most likely never purchase another MSD in the future no matter how lovely I find the particular sculpt.

12. I love male and female dolls. I love MSD, tinies, puki pukis and SDs(I have all those sizes).....the bonding problem for me is with the sculpt and whether I can see the vision for that doll but size and gender has never been an issue. The only size I'd not like to get or that I'm still not ready for it is the 65cm+ size...but knowing me, I'll probably fall in love with one someday^^ I like variety!

13. I've had dolls that I really liked right out of the box... and dolls that I had doubts about and eventually sold on. But I don't attribute that to "bonding issues". I'm not a bonder. I just chalk it up to the doll not being quite what I expected once I saw it "in person".

I guess I just don't feel the need to excuse not liking something as much as I'd hoped by pretending it's more than simple preference. :lol:

14. :lol: I thought I was the only one who had issues with the 1/4 scale dolls. It seems when ever I end up selling a doll it's usually one in that size. They have to be really special or unique for them to stay in the collection. I absolutely love the big dolls. If I had more room and money I'd have at least a dozen.

Girls vs. Boys? I don't seem to prefer one over the other. It's pretty evenly split between the genders here though I will admit to having some issues with dressing my girls. Mostly because I'm more comfortable dressing men than women.

15. Yes! I bought an SD sized doll about a year ago and I just was overwhelmed by the size. I ended up adopting her out as I just couldn't get used to it. I think I would have the same issue with a male doll. I just like my dolls to be girls like me.

Dani

16. My Dollzone 70 doesn't get much love because of his size and I get to tend to his twin, owned by my sister, as well. We won them as prizes so we can't get rid of them. The 40cm Orientdoll gets forgotten because he's an odd size out. I'm mostly a 1/6 scale fan but I take my 45cm Dollzone out a lot.

17. Since I don't exactly "bond" with my dolls, I never had any issues. I'll get the dolls I like enough to shell out the money for them. If I don't like them, I don't buy them. I also always tend to like the newest doll best for a while and they'll get the most attention - until the novelty wears off.

18. I understand the idea of "bonding" with your dolls, when I get a new doll I either feel that it clicks or it doesn't.

I have a much harder time with female BJDs than male BJDs. I chalk that up to being brought up on Barbie and other female fashion dolls, they aren't as "new" and "interesting" within the world of dolls. Maybe it's that girl dolls feel like they come with a lot of built in social construction? They are considered safe and acceptable doll types? Something like that. I currently have two girls and a head in need of a body out of 23 dolls total, they really have to be more special for them to click with me, like I have higher standards for them to be more than just some pretty girl. I seem to have an easier time with reverse objectification in the owing of male dolls. I also enjoy playing with male fashion, they are easier to dress and they can share clothing between them a lot more easily. XP

I have had a hard time bonding with dolls smaller than 60cm. I don't really have any reasoning behind it, large dolls got me into this hobby and that is where my interest stays. I seam to only want minis if they are either robots or cyborgs.

19. Normally I don't have any trouble bonding. I usually am already feeling that connection when I purchase the doll because I wait till I see one for sale that is upon site I feel something.

The only exception to this, even with the instant omg I must have him, is Metato. The faery from Soom. I had a plan for him, everything...and then when he got here and I took him out for the first time at home... He is the first and only doll I have ever dropped. My heart sank. I panicked and inspected him and found I chipped one of the two points on one of his ears.

I think I feel some sort of guilt. Which is why I am having that disconnect with him. I feel bad for dropping him and damaging him. I've been trying to rebond for some time but it isn't there. All because of his poor little ear.

20. I never have trouble bonding with my dolls. I think I'm just very lucky, and both a) am a good judge of how I feel about dolls from their company photos and b) found a company that I click with, whose dolls I can feel confident about liking once they get home. It is odd though, that even though I spend more time interacting with my Teenies and Rosettes, I'm more bonded with my SuperGems. I just find making characters for SD dolls much more satisfying, somehow, and that leads to what feels like a stronger connection.

Edit: I just did a quick headcount, and I do have 17 girls to 7 boys, though. So obviously I do have more trouble bonding with male dolls/characters, it's just that I realise I won't bond before I buy dolls, and so don't have the trouble of owning dolls I'm not bonded with.