1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Boys owning girls...

May 28, 2010

1. To the few (like 5?) guys here that own girl dolls what has been your experience?

Do you take your doll out in public? Do people look at you strange? How have other doll owners reacted?

Do your friends / family make fun of you in any way?

Do you go out of your way to dress your girl decently or do you have them wear sexy outfits (or nothing >.<)?

Do you also own male dolls or just girls?

Do you give your girl(s) a story or are they just for taking photos / looking cool on the shelf?

Do you keep your girl / dolls a secret / hidden?

(If this is not a proper thread, please remove with my apologies)

On any other forum that title would just be so wrong... >.>

2. :atremblin No replies. Guess I am an oddball here (or the questions were not interesting).

Well, I suppose I can try to answer my own questions even though my girl isn't here yet. :sweat

Do you take your doll out in public? Do people look at you strange? How have other doll owners reacted?

Since I don't go out much this is probably a no. I know there are some meets nearby, but I don't know if I can build up the courage to go to one. Besides, the money I put into this so far is not easy for me to get. So it's better to keep her safe at home.

I haven't told my friends yet. I have gotten some jeering remarks from my father. Such as: "Is your girlfriend here yet?" and some remarks about dressing her. :| But otherwise he's listened to me drone on about it.

Do you go out of your way to dress your girl decently or do you have them wear sexy outfits (or nothing >.<)?
      I'm about to order my first outfit for her and it will be sorta punk goth (if that's a style). I want her to look cool. She'll more than likely always be clothed. I would feel bad for her if she was not dressed properly. But sexy outfits are not out of the question.

I have no interest in getting male dolls. I haven't even looked at them really. Right now I don't even have plans to get more than the one I have coming. I'll start there and see where it goes. If I did get more it would be girls more than likely.

Do you give your girl(s) a story or are they just for taking photos / looking cool on the shelf?
      Right now she doesn't have a story. I do plan to take photos. I'm working towards getting a new camera. I have a feeling that she might reveal herself more when I can see her in person. I'm still trying to settle on a name as is.

Like I said above, my father knows. I haven't told my friends. I have only a handful of close friends that come to my house now and again. I don't plan to hide it (I like showing off my stuff), but I could chicken out at the last minute and put her away. I'm sure it would be more my own insecurities than anything. My friends would more than likely think she was cool.

Eh, not as interesting compared to someone that has been in the hobby for a while I'm sure. Maybe I'll update this later on.

NOW come on, I can't be the only one. Someone else has to be around here... :sorry

3. I know there are guys out there with bjds both boys and girls, so don't despair. Someone will come along.

4. I'm a woman, but I know of several men who only have female dolls. Most of them are interested in a specific craft, such as garment construction or photography, so a doll makes a perfect model for them. Others just collect, and treat dolls as a serious investment. Some of those are gay, others are straight and married, and very insistent of disliking male dolls. Doll enthusiasts come in all shapes and sizes. It's a wonderfully versatile hobby, which allows you to explore your creativity in many ways.

5. I actually know quite a few guys who have the dolls, not really for photography or as clothes models, but just frankly because they think they are are pretty, the guys appreciate the artistry behind them, and so on. Some of these guys sort of evolved into the dolls from action figures. Some of the straight guys I know like them because they are sexy and beautiful- kind of like 3D pin-up girls. Off hand, without giving it a whole lot of thought, I can think of at least ten guys I have met either online on DoA or Junkyspot or Dollieh Sanctuary, and one who had never seen the dolls until he saw my book, went out and bought my book, then called me to see if i would meet him and show him my dolls. I did- and he ended up getting his first doll. That was a few months ago, and he already has his second doll :) . Yes, enabler, lol! So if you are a guy and feeling alone- don't. Remember, for the most part on DoA you can't tell what gender the posters are. I bet there are a lot more guys on DoA than you realize.

6. Here is your first reply from a guy who owns a girl doll.

I think there are probably more than five of us guys who own girl dolls. My wife learned about bjd's from a friend of ours, also a guy with girl dolls who is a member here. After she had a few I decided that I wanted one of my own.

I don't usually take my girl out in public except for doll meets. One exception to that was a few weeks ago when I was at Costume-Con and carried her around with me all day on Saturday. There were a few other doll owners carrying their dolls with them and it was cool meeting them. The people I spoke with were quite interested in knowing more about her and a number of people took pictures of her. If anybody thought it was weird they didn't say anything to me.

Other doll owners have never been a problem. Before I had her I went to the local doll meets with my wife. I was one of the few guys who didn't just drop off his wife/gf and leave, so I got to know the regulars. When people at the meets heard I was getting one of my own they thought it was great.

Neither my wife or I have mentioned our dolls to our families. We know their first reaction would be "they cost how much?!?!?..." and we don't need the hassle :)

My girl is always well dressed, and sometimes she does looks sexy. The two are not mutually exclusive. :)

I only have the one doll. I have no plans to get any more.

My girl, Angelique de Bergerac, has both a name and a full back story. She has taken on a life of her own in an RPG way. She has her own MySpace, Facebook and DeviantART pages and has many doll friends.

I don't go out of my way to tell all my friends that I have a doll but it is not some deep dark secret. If people are interested and ask I am happy to tell them all about her.

7. i have to add i have yet have my bjd arrive and have not yet saved what i need to get her.

Do you take your doll out in public? i think i will Do people look at you strange? most likely but thats nothing different then my normal How have other doll owners reacted? would not know have yet to go to a bjd meet and as i said not own her yet

kinda have told my mom but she just gives me a odd look when i tryed to kinda tell her.

she will just wear what she wants to or in the mood too.

do not right now plan to own any other dolls. have not thought about getting male dolls but there are a few i have seen that i do like.

she already has kinda like a story/sense of self. i know i also will want to take lots of photos of her.
      Do you keep your girl / dolls a secret / hidden it would depend on my mood.

cant wait to get her :D

8. Just thought this was an interesting question and hope you get more guys posting soon... I have E-an, neither of you will regret your girl when she gets to you. I love mine ;)

9. Do you take your doll out in public? Do people look at you strange? How have other doll owners reacted?
      I have at a doll meet (only guy there-whoo lol) and outside my house for photo's. I think I was slightly downplayed cause of all the other dolls there.
      The other doll owners were really nice to me, one lent Sarah shoes, it was a fun time.

No, though my brother and friend are quite scared of Sarah (Clover is too small to really be a threat)

I treat them like they have humility! lol And they sort of do, both have appropriate outfits. (Clover's a child-doll! no exceptions) Sarah, just doesn't look the riske par lol)

So far just girls

Whole story, Clover's character comes from a story-one I wrote, Sarah's is all new

Secret no, I don't talk much of them-though I don't wanna talk about dolls to guys lol

10. Right on! Some good replies. It's great to hear from other guys in the hobby.

11. Yay! I enjoy reading this thread - keep it coming!

12. My partner and I both have girl dolls, though I am a bit more involved in mine....there are actually A LOT of guys owning girls.

At our local doll meets there are three guys and we all have girls, we are all rather relaxed about it, I mean who really cares if we own girls or boys? It is sort of like saying it is weird for a girl to own a boy. The thing is I have the El issue, for a guy I am a damn pretty girl so people look stranger when they hear my name than when they see me carrying a girl doll. The strangest reactions I get are because I have an obsession with blushing, my dolls all have blushed privates and nipples, I actually feel creeped out by unpainted nipples, much to everyones amusement. People tend to blink blink when they know that about me, and on my girls it tends to be more important that the nips be done, so I look a little bit of a perve, but no one really cares.

Only for the nipples thing

All of the above actually!

Mostly males, a few females

All of my dolls have a story, gender makes no difference

Nope, I see absolutely no reason to. most of the guys I know have girl dolls and are very proud of them, and are more likely to make them "pretty" than the "tough" girls

13. I too am interested in this

14. I'm interested in this. Especially how they handle family and friends maybe making fun and whatnot.

15. I only have 1 Doll, Yukino, a girl that I bought a few months back, so I'm still a bit of a n00b. :sweat

I don't really go out in public anyway, so not really. I bought Yukino at my first meet up, but I haven't gone to second meet up yet. The other doll owners at the meet up were very supportive and excited for me when I bought her, even though I had just met all of them :D

My friends and family all know about Yukino, and they generally don't make fun of me...
      Aside from my mom calling her my "Barbie", :| or "Sukiyaki" (cause Yukino is "hard to remember") :sigh

Of course. She even has props :thumbup and I'm waiting for her new outfit to come in the mail too.

Just the one girl so far. I might get another girl, but I'm not interested in boys.

Yukino has a very deep and rich back story, evolved over many years before I even learned of BJDs. She also poses very nicely for pictures, but I haven't posted any yet.

Nope, but I don't go running around sticking her in my family's face either. They didn't even notice her for about a week... :nowords:

16. Well.. The whole gender thing is really blurred with me.
      I'm Transgendered, Female to Male. And I have a boy who's a Transvestite, and for the sake of my family and friends, I dont correct them when they say "She"
      So In an odd... round about way, I'm a boy who owns a girl doll ^^

Yeah I do, and I do get some funny looks. I haven't met any Doll Owners, so I cant say much on that last part.

Yeah, my Dad says I should stop being such a pansy X.x but other than that, all the other disputes come from the Price Tag Issue.

Well, his character has body issues, so he never really shows off more than his arms. But his split personality (Her name is Tamarix, she's named after the flowering tree Tamarix Galica) Is a bit more bold. And she wears a dress that fits around her chest with a corset up the back, no straps or anything. And it comes to a lil more than mid-theigh.

Two boys, with one of them being an Assumed female, and having a female split personality.

Lotsa, lotsa stories! Which is helped by the fact that I just Adore writing her personality ^o^

Not at all ^^ Except for her... Physical gender.

17. This is great to see different guys and their different views on collecting. I'm glad their are male collectors around I think they give a different fun aspect to the hobby. :D

I was surprised when I started collecting and my husband started asking a lot about the dolls. He often helps me do what he calls dolly surgery like restringing them and sueding them. He asks all sorts of questions and often looks at girl dolls online with me. I have a feeling he'll get his own eventually. I think it's nice that guys can find something they enjoy about the hobby too. We need more girls in our house! We have 7 dolls so far and only 1 girl. XD haha

18. Ok, I am a guy (although a bit on the old side for guy, I'm striving towards older gentleman), who own girl dolls. :)

Yes, I bring them frequently to doll meets and other events, if I have an excuse to bring any of them, I'll bring some along, if there are other people that likes dolls that is. And I am not the only guy around here that have girl dolls, which makes things easier. I think that most other doll owners think it is nice with some guys as well in the hobby.
      And it just might be that having older guys there as well, might help to make the hobby more legitimate.

Not really, and in case they do it behind my back, they are pretty good at hiding it.:sweat

Depends on the doll... My wife usually remarks if they wear to plain clothes ("they are made to have nice clothes" are her idea (and, no, she is not into dolls)). A Soom Beryl for instance, just must have extreme, or extremely good, clothes, and an IpleHouse cat just have to have sexy cat suits. As for the last option, it seems that several of my dolls get nude on doll meets, some way or another (and don&#8217;t blame the guys).

Yes I do, but current ratio is 10 to 1 in the girls favor.

All my dolls have characters and a story (actually they are all figuring in the same story), and several of them where selected to fit into the story and character.

No, what fun would that be?
      Although I think my oldest son sometimes wish that I kept them more secret (he is fascinated, but in an age where any unusual parental behavior is very embarrassing).

Averis: E-an is a beautyful doll, congratz on the choice!

19. 2 things-
      Me personally, I've never examined my latidoll's chest lol-having those detailed isn't at the top of the list lol
      second I made my tiny-Clover "tough" though thats cause she's tiny and its funny

20. Do you take your doll out in public? Do people look at you strange? How have other doll owners reacted?
      I do take my girl out in public sometimes. It's kind of awkward because... It is. But They don't understand! It's a piece of art and therefore, I take some amount of pride in it.

I've never been made fun of. Except by this one guy at work, but he makes fun of me anyway...

Out of my way? I look through catalogs and buy what I like/What I'd like to see on her. So, yes. She must look gorgeous.

I only have my one doll, and it's a girl. I don't plan on getting another MSD, but I wouldn't be against having a boy doll. I'm going to get a bunch of tinies, and at least one of them will be a boy... D:

I tried to give her a story. I kind of wanted to. . . But, no. She's just a model/toy :c

Nope! Everyone knows she exists. Everyone at work loves her, my mother thinks she's pretty. My father doesn't acknowledge her. :)