1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing your doll's clothing....

Jul 30, 2010

1. This all started when me and a friend were looking over DoA one day.
      She is relatively new to BJDs, and somehow still hasn't gotten over the shock of how much a doll could cost :lol: <3

So, my friend and I were looking at owner pictures, and the conversation went somewhat like this:

Friend: Look at that poor doll! He is so badly dressed T_T What is its owner thinking about? o.o
      Me: Well, he's not necessarily badly dressed, see, some people just like to have their dolls dressed in normal, everyday clothes...just like you put on a sweater and jeans and go out ^^
      Friend: But God, they are like $500 a piece! How can one shove a makeshift shirt & pants on a $500 doll? :doh You spent that much on a doll, you surely can buy it decent clothes and give it a fitting outfit.
      Me: Umm..well..I guess it depends on everybody's taste in clothing...though you do have a point you know...*starts thinking*

...now on to the debate itself...
      Of course all of the following questions will get answers depending on everybody's own personal taste when it comes to clothing their doll, but:

What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      (are you influenced much by the money you would need to spend on an outfit, or are you more influenced by the look of the outfit itself - gowns, fur jackets, generally "pretentious" looks?)

Regarding the first question, do you also take into consideration the doll's value, when buying it clothes?

(example, buy more expensive clothing for more expensive dolls)

Does owning the doll itself as a possession mean more to you than the way it's dressed?
      (Of course nobody likes their doll to go around in its underwear, but does clothing lose its interest to you once you have the doll in your possession? Or on the contrary, once you get the doll you try to give it a good/very good outfit?)

Planning a doll's outfit based on its given back story/character...?
      (Yay or nay? Do you plan ahead, taking the trouble of trying to fit one piece of clothing from a site, another piece from another site, or you just go ahead and buy from a single company whatever you think looks "decent" and mix&match it then to fit the doll somehow?)

Does makeshift/sale clothes/generally dressing a doll in very cheap clothes count as doll mistreating/negligence to you? Or as owner-side-only gratification with the possession of the doll itself...
      (..which is afterwards dressed in the minimum necessary to keep it from being naked?)

For persons who also have a particular OC/character assigned to a doll, does the way it is dressed influence your perception of your doll/OC?
      (or it doesn't matter much, the doll-OC is the same no matter whether you dress it in a napkin or a ball gown?)

Answering all of these questions is not mandatory, though different opinions would certainly be interesting to hear <3
      Thank you for your time ^_^ :whitetruffle

2. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      (are you influenced much by the money you would need to spend on an outfit, or are you more influenced by the look of the
      outfit itself - gowns, fur jackets, generally "pretentious" looks?)
      I think underdressing would mean to me that they have only one outfit. I love to look at dolly clothing, and sometimes outfits are
      expensive, but I don't care much about that if it's a certain outfit or piece of clothing that's exactly what I'm looking for.
      Of course money is a factor. If I need to pay a 100$ for one outfit, but for that same price I can buy more items that are maybe
      less special, I'd probably go for the last option. I'm not saying I wouldn't ever buy my doll an expensive outfit, but I do like them
      to have more than one set of clothes.

Regarding the first question, do you also take into consideration the doll's value, when buying it clothes?
      No, I don't take that into consideration. It just depends on the outfit and not on how expensive a doll has been. If I see something
      I really love which is 10$ for my most expensive doll, but for the least expensive doll I see something I love for 50$, then that's
      how it is.

Does owning the doll itself as a possession mean more to you than the way it's dressed?
      (Of course nobody likes their doll to go around in its underwear, but does clothing lose its interest to you once you have the doll
      in your possession? Or on the contrary, once you get the doll you try to give it a good/very good outfit?)

I like to shop for dolly clothes. There's so many great outfits for them! To me, I think the doll is just as important as the way
      he's dressed, because I like to buy my dolls clothes that fit to their character. The clothes they wear make their characters
      stand out more, and that's something very good imo.

(Yay or nay? Do you plan ahead, taking the trouble of trying to fit one piece of clothing from a site, another piece from another
      site, or you just go ahead and buy from a single company whatever you think looks "decent" and mix&match it then to fit the
      doll somehow?)

I don't plan the clothes I want a doll to have, because I don't plan their background stories or characters ahead either. Their
      story and character develop when I actually own a doll, or when I have bought one and it's on the way. So as soon as I think up
      his/her character, I can search for things that I like and that fit with the character as well. I wouldn't mind buying things from
      different companies, though I would try to buy more from one company at a time or joint a group order, as shipping is usually
      expensive.

Does makeshift/sale clothes/generally dressing a doll in very cheap clothes count as doll mistreating/negligence
      to you? Or as owner-side-only gratification with the possession of the doll itself...
      (..which is afterwards dressed in the minimum necessary to keep it from being naked?)
      I don't like it when a doll is dressed in the minimum, just to keep him from being naked. I like buying my dolls clothes. They don't
      per se have to be expensive though, I'd be just as happy with a nice piece of clothing that's on sale or secondhand or something.

For persons who also have a particular OC/character assigned to a doll, does the way it is dressed influence
      your perception of your doll/OC?
      (or it doesn't matter much, the doll-OC is the same no matter whether you dress it in a napkin or a ball gown?)
      That would depend on the character. So far, the characters I've thought up for my dolls allow me to buy all sorts of things for
      them that would fit them. I guess that an outfit that's perfect for a doll does have some influence.

Okay, so it was sometimes difficult for me to answer everything as well as I wanted to, but I hope it's not too much rambling and
      makes a bit of sense, at least ^^; And I hope my opinion on this is useful.

3. Funny, I have felt like youre friend sometimes, but not so much for the type of clothing but more for the lack of quality and autenticty of some clothes. My pet peeves are patterns that are overtly large, materials that are way to bulky and uneven stitching. Somehow my mind is also boggled by people who state their doll is for example a samurai warrior and then put it in blue jeans.

If youre one who gives his doll characters and one of youre dolls happens to be lets say... homeless, i think its perfectly ok to dress the doll as a homeless person would dress. Actually that would make a very interesting project, compiling a suitable non-matching, not well fitting handed down outfit and distressing it, like knitting a oversized sweater and putting holes in it and fringing the sleeves etc.

I would not buy a more expensive outfit for an expensive doll because its more expensive. I would buy an outfit that is most matching to the doll and its characther. The other way around, the "cheaper" dolls can look absolutely awesome with the right face-up and well made clothes. If you put a Bermann in crappy clothes, its still a Bermann. If you give a resinsoul a crayola face-up and crappy clothes, youre left with nothing.

Well... it starts with owning it, doesnt it? Some dolls get outfits right way, some wait longer, sometimes because i want something particular i cant find, sometimes because im focused on other dollie things.

(Yay or nay? Do you plan ahead, taking the trouble of trying to fit one piece of clothing from a site, another piece from another site, or you just go ahead and buy from a single company whatever you think looks "decent" and mix&match it then to fit the doll somehow?)
      I do both of these.

Does makeshift/sale clothes/generally dressing a doll in very cheap clothes count as doll mistreating/negligence to you? Or as owner-side-only gratification with the possession of the doll itself...
      Doll mistreatment and negligence are large words. It's more that i sometimes think NOOOOOO!

For persons who also have a particular OC/character assigned to a doll, does the way it is dressed influence your perception of your doll/OC?
      Some of my dolls have OC, some dont. Once one got a character after putting on a outfit i got as a gift.

4. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      For me, it's definitely the look of the outfit... and it depends on the character. If I had a doll whose character typically dressed very casually - for instance, my incoming MNF, Michiru - putting her in a ballgown or something would make her look ridiculously overdressed. It's all down to the character. If I had a Victorian girl in my group, putting her in flouncy dresses wouldn't be overdressing, but on any of my others, it totally would. ;P

Not remotely! None of my dolls' clothes are especially expensive, and actually, my most expensive doll (the aforementioned Minifee) so far has the least expensive clothes! I buy clothes to fit the characters, and I don't feel the least bit bad if my $450 doll is wearing a $9 shirt! As long as it looks nice, fits the character, and I like it, that's what matters, isn't it? :3

Yes, of course. Owning the doll itself is much more important, but I do make an effort to buy nice clothes for my dolls. I love for them to have multiple outfits, and it's a joy for me to pick out new clothes for them. :) On the other hand, even if the doll only has one or two outfits... it's the doll itself that I love the most. I guess, to answer more clearly, I don't stop caring about clothes once I have the doll, but it's not the most important thing, either -- though I'll admit the clothing is much more important to me while I'm waiting for a doll, because looking for their clothes helps me pass the time!

I definitely do take the trouble to find clothing that fits the doll's character. However, I prefer to order from just a couple of companies, so I have "settled" some in the past due to cost and convenience.

Eh. I can look at a doll's clothes and think, "I would never dress my doll like that D: " or "Oh, that looks awful," but it's definitely not mistreating the doll, or negligence. It's a personal taste thing - some people like different things, and some people place more importance on their dolls' clothing than others. For instance, I'm always being told by my best friend that I think about the clothes more than she does, and I buy more clothes for my dolls. xD; It just means we're different like that.

The way the doll is dressed doesn't change how I see them -- the character they embody is the character they embody, whether they're dressed in casual clothes, lolita, pajamas, steampunk, whatever! Sometimes I'll put them in other dolls' clothes just as a joke, even, because it's so OOC. xD So, say, when I put my Van in a tight black dress, I'll make jokes about how much he must "hate" me for making him wear it, because it's so far from anything he'd actually put on willingly. xD

5. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?

Until I have an outfit I like for my doll, I keep it in the box, out of the light. I like for my dolls to be dressed perfectly for the character I have made up for them or not at all. I am content to wait until I can afford the clothes I want or until I finally make them myself.

No, I like all my dolls to be well-dressed, no matter what I paid for them.

Yes, slightly, but I don't like naked dolls sitting around so I find clothes for them as soon as possible.

Yes, I think it's more fun that way.

People can dress their dolls however they wish; I don't care. I consider doll clothes a matter of personal taste just as human clothes are. I would rather keep my doll in its box until I have nice clothes for it.

For me, the doll comes first, then I invent a character for it and make or buy an appropriate costume or costumes, if I want them to have more variety in their wardrobe. Once I finally decide on a character for a doll, it stays that way.

6. Sarah wears a Hinaichigo dress (unplanned that her last name is also Hinaichigo)
      personally I get clothes I think are cute and then the doll wears them, simple lol
      Clover wears the stranger clothes (Goku's outfit, Ninja Pirate David Bowie, montreal canadiens player lol)
      all sorts

7. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      (are you influenced much by the money you would need to spend on an outfit, or are you more influenced by the look of the outfit itself - gowns, fur jackets, generally "pretentious" looks?)

A little of both -- the look of the outfit is important. If I don't like it or it doesn't fit my needs, then there's no point spending the money on it even if it's cheaper. However, I do have budgetary limits to work within.

No, I don't care how much or little I spend on my dolls -- I want them to look nice, and I like them equally.

(Of course nobody likes their doll to go around in its underwear, but does clothing lose its interest to you once you have the doll in your possession? Or on the contrary, once you get the doll you try to give it a good/very good outfit?)

I like to have them look nice, and their clothing is part of putting together their characters in doll form.

They all dress in character -- many of them actually dress like pretty average people, honestly. I mix and match outfits all the time -- the important thing is that the clothes work. It's not that different from shopping for myself -- I may buy jeans at one store, some tops at another, go somewhere else for shoes, etc. Of course if I can purchase what they need from the same place I can save money on shipping. That's not always possible though.

No, it's entirely up to the owner. Some people have different orders of doing things too. I got a fair amount of the dolls from my main storyline first, and then started really trying to upgrade their wardrobe. Everybody's different, and spending less on clothes doesn't mean they care less about their dolls.

My dolls dress as their characters would, otherwise it would just be weird. I mean, they'd still be the same character, but the point for me is to have them as close to their characters' as possible so putting Cait in a frilly Loli outfit or Liam in a Tux is completely out for me.

8. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      The main limit for me is price. I much prefer value-for-money clothes, generally stuff in the middle price range from brand name retailers, if I'm not making them myself. I do not splurge on their clothing (eg. no $150 shirts by ALG), but I do think it's a bit of a waste to dress them in cheap clothes that look cheap. This is the same philosphy I adopt for dressing myself as well.

Most of my dolls have about the same value, but even if they didn't, I wouldn't take their purchase price into account. If they are cheap, well, more money to buy nice clothes. If they are more expensive, well, they deserve nicer clothes (lol).

I love looking at and playing with the jointing systems of the dolls, so, generally, their clothes don't really matter so much. My boys tend to go around in the nude ever so often, but then I found they get dirty faster, so now, they mostly wear clothes. :D Who needs underwear anyway? :D

I don't plan for outfits. I just buy stuff I think look good and pass them around until someone claims them. Some pieces are very popular. XD

Personally, I'd rather my dolls go around nude than dressing them in cheap-looking clothes. That said, some cheap clothes actually look fairly decent (and some expensive ones don't seem worth the money), so you shouldn't judge clothes by their prices. I don't consider it 'mistreatment', because, well, the doll belongs to the owner, and if the owner is happy, it's fine.

People change clothes all the time. ^_^ Whether they're running around naked or dressed in awful drag, they're still themselves.

9. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      Really, in my opinion as long as the doll is dressed it is fine. I actually plan to make some simple shirts and shorts when I get my doll. I like those type of clothes, so what is wrong with that? Just because the doll cost $400+ doesn't mean it needs to wear a ballgown all the time. :P

I don't think I would. As long as the clothes look nice and I like them, why should it matter?

I want my doll so that I can try making clothing and accessories for her. But, really the doll itself is most important. ;)

Nope. I want to have different outfits for my doll, based solely on what I like.

I don't think you can mistreat or neglect an inatimate object. But, I know what you are saying. Still, I don't see it as neglect. Maybe wasteful in a way, because I don't see the point in having a doll and then not clothing it properly. But this is only my opinion.

10. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      Well, I don't really see how you could overdress a doll... I suppose maybe that would be spending money on something you could get of equal quality for cheaper. Underdressing though? As long as the doll's not nude and looks nice enough, where's the problem?

No, not really. I intend to go with what I like. DARK COLORS AND STRIPE PATTERNS AHOY!

Yeah. The doll is more important than the clothes.
      I can make clothes and wigs.
      I can't make Ball-Jointed Dolls.

No, not really. She'll be a template person really. A bit of personality, no history, and dozens of costumes.

Does makeshift/sale clothes/generally dressing a doll in very cheap clothes count as doll mistreating/negligence to you? Or as owner-side-only gratification with the possession of the doll itself..
      Hell no, why would it be? Makeshift clothing is probably all I could afford to make for a doll until I get better at sewing.
      And if you can find a sale on something nice, why not take it? Good deals are hard to come by in this hobby, it seems

11. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      I admit, I'm influenced by the cost of an outfit. If I find it UH-MAZING but a bit pricey, I'll put it on my wishlist and save up for it unless I have the money then. But if I just kind of think that it's cool but it's pricey, I wouldn't buy it. And I wouldn't buy outfits just because they're cheap. I'd like to make my own clothes for my dolls because I have the feeling that I won't see anyone in the exact same outfit.
      Just makes me feel good.

Not really, I usually just pick clothes that I think would look good on them.

I love the doll more than the clothes.
      If I only had underwear at the time, fine, he'd be in his underwear until I found him something to wear.
      I'm bonding with the doll, not it's clothes.

Nope. As long as the outfit matches, than it's fine. I don't have much back story for the dolls I'm planning to get. But I almost always give everything I own a personality. When I was little, each of my stuffed animals had their own unique personality, but no story. But I wouldn't dress a character with a modest personality in halter tops.

Not really, I prefer cheaper clothes if I can find them. But if they're crap quality that I don't like the feel of, then I wouldn't buy them.

12. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      For me, it really depends on the doll... I have a few who are better suited to what your friend would see as "under-dressing" (Teacup, my Elf Shiwoo, for example, is typically in jeans, sneakers and one of his ever-growing collection of "buttoned shirts with interesting prints".) while others only look right to me in exceptionally fancy outfits (Amber, my CP Moon, for instance, would look odd to me in anything but full-on Court Dandy-wear). So, I have a variety and stick to what I think looks best on the particular doll in question.

No. It's much more about the general "look" I want for the doll and the sort of personality I see in its sculpt. My most expensive doll is currently wearing a plain, pale blue cotton kimono and hakama set that I made for him... The shirting fabric was on sale and cost less than $20. My rather battered second-hand Bliss, the least expensive full-sized doll in my collection, has on a Volks limited set that was just shy of $200.

Yes. It's not always easy putting together just the right things for a doll, so I've had a few that were in borrowed or not-quite-right outfits for a time, while I made, commissioned or hunted down the things that I wanted for them. Just having the doll itself has always been fun to me, even if getting all of their proper bits and pieces together took some time.

I do try to get as much of that together as I can before the doll arrives... Sometimes I even start long before I order the doll itself. I had Sjhan's eyes and Kareyeru's hair several *years* before I had them... But that kind of preparation isn't always possible.

That happens most often with the resin avatars for my tabletop RPG and MMO characters, but I do base a lot of my choices on the kind of "person" I intend the doll to be. Sjhan *had* to have his simple, tattered traveler's robes and staff. He wouldn't have been my ascetic Ariane Seeker without them. Kareyeru *had* to have her military uniforms, blue-on-blue eyes and long indigo hair, or she wouldn't have looked like the Terrestrial soldier I know and love playing. Chibi Ash had to have his little headband and glasses. Amber has to dress like a courtier. Elise has to look like an Edwardian schoolgirl. Having the right look for the right character is pretty important to me...

That said, I do have fun taking them "out of chracter" sometimes, too. It can be a whole new game to dress a doll that's usually in kimono in a business suit, or one that's typically all about his jeans and tee-shirts in a load of pseudo-Victorian EA lace.

Not really. Even though I tend to be one of those "in for a penny, in for a pound" types myself (If I just spent multiple-hundred dollars on a doll, I figure what's the point of scrimping on its' eyes, wigs or clothes?), I know not everyone has the means or opportunity to do that. It can take time to get the things you want, and if a doll has to wear a home-made sock-dress and a $5 fur wig while its owner is saving up for something better, I don't see any problem with it.

Heck, even if they end up in that same sock and wig indefinitely, that's fine. I wouldn't do it myself, but how other people dress their dolls isn't up to me. If they're okay with it, who am I to tell them no?

A little... Like I said above, some of them just wouldnt seem like "themselves" if they didn't have the right look or certain signature details. I can't imagine Yeru as a blond, for instance, or Hideo in rock-star boots. It just wouldn't be THEM. :lol:

13. good topic ^^
      hm. let's see...

I don't like spending a lot of money. I don't buy fullsets or anything crazy. D: I'm a real bargain hunter when I shop for myself, so the same goes for shopping for my dolls. ^^ I like buying strange, kind of nerdy stuff that others wouldn't necessarily want and then creating an outfit around it. Mixing and matching is a lot of fun. I also sew quite a few of my own clothes, and after two years of practicing and screwing up, I think I'm actually getting to the point where they look decent. XD
      At this point, several years into the hobby, I would say that my dolls are dressed pretty well.

Haha, no... I don't think about that at all. >>

Yes, of course... though I am starting to change a little bit in this respect, in that I do place more value in clothes than I used to. When I first got Derek, he had a pair of boxers from the company, a pair of boots my sister bought me from Ebay, and a japanese-inspired outfit my friend made me that didn't fit him quite right. Everything else he owned were sock shirts and crappy clothes that I had made for him. But eh, you live and learn, right? >>;

I don't plan, since my dolls are really just dolls, not characters (at this point at least). Their clothing styles change according to my whims.

Nah. I mean, I would like to see the dolls in nicer clothes, but then again, I do know that when I was younger and my parents didn't like buying off of the internet, I owned one of those badly-dressed dolls. XD Everyone deserves a bit of grace, and the rest of us on the forum need to remember that people change.

Of course it does. Humans are very appearance-oriented and there's no use pretending that appearances don't matter. But, like I said before, I know enough to extend some grace. ^^
      I just... don't ooh and ahh over their pictures XD

14. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      Unides is underdressed. Just undies. Overdressed, there is none. I really don't care if an owner wants to put their doll in a sock dress or a ball of fluff, as long as they like it.

No, that's complete nonsense. This doesn't even make sense to me. There's alot of people here that spend large amounts of money on their doll and they save up for years maybe, and you can't expect them to buy expensive clothes just to make other people happy.

I dress them the way I like to dress them. Be that in undies if that fits their character, or be that an elaborate outfit because I feel like buying it for my doll.

I do think ahead yes, but nothing is ever fully planned. Everyone in this hobby knows dolls always want their own way.

I'm sorry, but that's bull. Once someone buys a doll, they can do whatever they want with it. I dont believe in mistreating. It's not a dog for pete's sake :/
      Oh no, my plastic object doesn't have clothes, it will be very sad now. Really?

A character is a character, and it can depend on clothing, when it comes to things like photostories, thenyes, clothing is important. But if it's just for the feeling of owning the character in an object, then it can wear whatever he/she wants.

I feel sad when I see people on here that feel like they have the right to judge other people's dolls. This has come back in many debates, about modding, about playing, about all sorts of things. And no one seems to understand that the doll does not belong to them. It belongs to the owner and the owner has every right to do whatever they want with their purchase.

15. Unfortunately this is not limited to the BJD hobby, I've seen it many other places, including online virtual pet games. Yeah... I understand that some people may wish they had a certain doll or other item and would treat it differently IF it belonged to them. But, when it is not your property, you have no say in what is done with it. Even though I personally think it would be a waste, if someone wanted to buy a doll just to smash it to bits, that is there business and their choice. :P

16. I've seen some pictures out there of dolls dressed in the worst stuff, but I never really felt that way about it. Some people are just getting started on making clothes for their dolls and when I look back at the first clothes I made and the pictures I took I go, 'How could I put them in that? It's so poorly made!'

I don't feel so bad about it when it's you making the clothes. Now... if you were to go buy some poorly made clothes and put your doll in them, I think it would be different. But to each their own!

In terms of dressing dolls... I usually go through different stages. I'll grab a color of fabric and hold it up against my doll and say, "Would you wear this?" And sometimes, even if the answer is no, I'll make something from it anyway... You can surprise yourself, sometimes.

When it comes to original characters, I think it has to do with the person. My boyfriend's doll is always dressed in black or checkers because it has to do with his character. If he were mine, I'd put him in other colors, but since he's not, I don't have a say.

As for my dolls, most of them don't stray from their theme. My SD wears lots of black, my YoSD dresses like a princess... but I do have a boy's outfit for my YoSD just in case the need arises.

17. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?
      I take over and under dressing literally. Too much would be more layers than looks attractive while not enough is simply nekkid or half nekkid. If my girls look good, then all is well.

No, that never occurred to me. though some of my girls have more purchased clothing than others, I just love sewing/knitting/crocheting for them. Clothing gets purchased if I think its attractive, economical, or beyond my confidence as a crafts person. Also, since I sew a lot, I'm gorram picky with what I buy. Crappy and/or unfinished seams is fine if its cheap, but unforgivable if the item is costly or supposedly well-made. Furthermore, if I think I can make something similar, I won't get it.

The clothes compliment my dolls. I'm fond of them, but a well put together outfit enhances the appeal.

I tend to premeditate on my dolls well in advance before I buy them, so their clothes are based on their personality and tastes. Those that haven't were initially blank slates style wise, but eventually fell into certain fashions (fashionista, casual, school clothes, etc.)

Everyone has their own tastes, and it would be rude for me to insult someone for a detail that does not suit my aesthetics.

Doll A is still doll A, no matter the clothing. That said, OCC clothing out just look peculiar on them.

18. What is the limit between overdressing and underdressing a doll, for you?

I prefer making the clothes myself since I can sew myself. But I really try my best, and use good materials...sometimes it's not cheap, but I can't say it's expensive either...

Certainly no. The guy who's here gives me trouble getting expensive shoes and stuff...and he's a bobobie. XD
      For me it depends if the characther wears chep stuff or not.

For me the way it's dressed is very important. Clothes say a lot about the person who's wearing, it's the same about the dolls.

Yay! it's part of the fun about creating a characther, right? I do my own, But if I couldn't, would look on different shops or even gettin service from a taylor/seamstress.^^

No, if the owner is happy about it, so it's ok. What they do with their dolls it's not something I can judge.

A LOT. I think every part of it's visual it's something related to the characther. Well I KNOW some people don't think their way...but that's the way I see my own. ^^"

19. What is the limit between overdressing and under dressing a doll, for you?
      It's a little of both, for me. I'd consider a doll overdressed if they were wearing an extremely, extremely elaborate outfit. Most of the time, I think people use these outfits for only photo purposes because of their elaborateness, but I don't think I'd make or buy an outfit just for a bunch of pictures. It doesn't make sense to me.

I do believe there is such a thing as an under dressed doll. I believe that every doll needs at least one decent outfit - top, bottoms, shoes. And it's not like you have to go dress your doll in a tux or something. Just a t-shirt and slacks are decent enough, as well as reasonably priced most places. I do see some dolls dressed in kinda not-that-great outfits, though, but that's my opinion.

Sort of - as I'm still trying to afford my first BJD, and my parents are trying to 'convince' me to not buy it, or keep her in my room and never tamper with her... she's coming from Dollmore, and they have a lot of really nice clothes. And I would like a dress, because they have really nice, cute dresses. I'm just worried that getting a dress for my doll is going to provoke the subject of keeping the doll secluded and away from everything.

I wouldn't want my doll going around in just underwear. I see a lot of people's dolls like that, and I don't understand it - despite the character of the doll. I'd want my doll dressed in something suitable, so that I don't look like a psycho who carries a female doll who looks 12, in panties and a training bra...:)

Plus, clothes create a barrier between the resin and outside elements. I bet it's easier to launder a tiny t-shirt than it is to go nuts over resin stains.

I mean, you can plan all you want - or make it yourself if need be. I think however you decide to find something is your own choosing.

It depends on both the character, and the owner's income. Look - I can't sew, knit, or crochet. I mean, I'd like to know how to sew since it seems pretty simple, overall, but how a doll dresses also depends on owner income. I am not willing to buy a very expensive dress for my doll. If I find I want to keep my dolls looking casual, and that works for me, so be it. I don't have to make my doll cross-dress, or wear crazy outfits to make myself look like a good owner. I don't believe a good owner is defined by the outfits a doll has; that just seems silly.

20. My unfinished dolls are usually naked. Completely. They're unfinished, it rather goes without saying they aren't going to be kitted out to the nines. It doesn't worry me any. If it worries someone else, I suppose that's for them to fret over, since it doesn't trouble me unless someone decides to crawl up my nose about it, and even then, I wonder why it seems to be bothering them more than it does me.

A number of the unifinished dolls are awaiting proper attire for what they're supposed to be. Only so many hours in the day, and the foot-pedal to my sewing machine has apparently gone off on holiday with my DSLR, so even if there was time to make things, means are more limited than I'd like. :|

Mostly, it's the time thing. The money thing isn't as much of a factor, though it is one in part since I have a weakness for not just quality fabrics, but opulent fabrics. (And then at times I get terrified to cut into them and they sit there being pretty and folded up in a box.) Money, I can, technically, make a little more of for the purposes of clothing, usually. Time? Time is finite, and in far shorter supply for the past few years.

I tend not to buy things I could make, unless in looking at the item, I decide I'd rather spend the money than the time and fuss. (Three piece suits? Jeans? I am looking at you with a hard, beady-eyed squint.) Of course, then it never gets done... :lol: