1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing your first doll - How hard was it for you?

Jul 28, 2008

1. (I searched before opening, but the results didn't show me something suitable.
      Maybe a nice mod will delete this if there's an already existing thread?:))

I've thought about this thread for a couple of days now.
      Everybody here knows this feeling when it finally goes to buying the first doll.
      You're nervous, you're unsure, you're (maybe) changing your mind like other people their underwear. In the doll universe are nearly thousands of different dolls, with different looks, prices and sizes.

How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      And when did you know that this doll should be your first?
      Did you get unhappy with your choice? Do you wish / did you wish that you've ordered another one?
      Which doll was your first and do you still own it?

extra question: Were you even able to choose it? Was it a present?

2. My first doll was a LeekeWorld LUKE head on a female FDoll body. I chose the head sculpt specifically because I thought it looked like Hachi from the NANA manga! :sweat I liked her, but I didn't really find myself as connected to her as I thought I would be from the time I first got her. A couple months later, when I ordered my second doll, he arrived and I just felt so attached to him. I automatically knew then that I needed to find a better home for my girl. So I sold the LUKE head but kept the body, and used it for another head later on.

Now, even though there are tons of dolls I wish that I could have, I am still very selective about which ones I buy. I browse through new molds every day and I think, "Wow, that would be great to have!" But it's not until one really strikes me - until I feel that instant pull that, yes, that's the one! - that I actually start saving up for another.

All in all, I don't regret getting my first doll, even though it didn't really work out for me. :) She really paved the way, and I will never forget her!

3. Hmm... for me, I never got to choose my first. Someone else recommended a certain mold for me and I bought it a bit impulsively. >_<
      I can't say I was unhappy with it because it was a very beautiful doll but it felt a bit... distant for me and I believe it was because the choice was not personal. ._.u
      And now I'm satisfied to say that the doll went happily to a home where it would be more appreciated and my second is 2 days from coming here. :) I've decided to be very hands-on with this one and try modding, new face-up and all the joys of actively changing it to be something that will mark it as MINE. xD
      And don't worry. ^^ This hobby is sometimes trial and error at worst. And I had cold feet for this one and the one before so I did have times when I obsessively looked up owner pics multiple times... haha. So I wouldn't worry about that feeling of doubting your purchase during the wait process. After all, a lot of people go through that too. And some people go years without buying their first doll because the right one has never showed up yet... And I think that kind of patience is impressive. *_* I wouldn't be able to stand all that temptation, lol.

4. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      Mike screamed at me he was an El. That's how I knew.

When Mike screamed. He was perfect.

Did you get unhappy with your choice? Do you wish / did you wish that you've ordered another one?
      Nope.

El and yes I do. He is now 3 years old.

5. I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that my first doll was a bit of an impulse buy. :sweat I had been interested in BJD's for a while, but I was so busy with everything else in my life, and I just didn't think I had the time or money for the hobby. Then at Akon I came across a booth selling Bobobies, and they had these darling lilac skin dolls. I must have walked by that booth a dozen times trying to convince myself not to buy a doll. But eventually I just couldn't pass up the chance, and I bought my Sprite on the spot. I love Arafel, I think she was a good first doll. Sometimes I think maybe I shouldn't have purchased her, mostly because she doesn't fit any particular character or story line I have in my head, but I still love her. I bought her for her looks I guess. :lol: I don't think I will ever give her up. She may not fit a character, and she may not be the best poser, but I love her anyway. I plan to get a little Nisa to keep her company at some point.

If I had really planned it out, and intended to get into the hobby I might have chosen a different doll. I might have saved and made my DZ Yuu my first doll. But it just didn't turn out that way. I think there is a good chance that I never would have gotten into the hobby at all, since after I had Arafel I kind of jumped right in. Without her I might have been too shy to even join this board, let alone go to the meet ups.

6. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I had already been searching for a possible first doll a good year or so before my parents gave in and finally decided to get me one. Still, even after all my planning to get a Ducan I stumbled upon Floy in Moggie's shop on eBay.

When I looked at the price, the size, and the easy transaction. I also knew he would make a good first because didn't look as delicate as other dolls I had my eye on. I was scared he'd break if I didn't know how to handle him right.

No, I was instantly in love when I unveiled his face from all the bubble wrap and packaging under his face-up protector and my love's still just as strong as ever for him. <3

Hansel of course, he's the only one I own right now but his friend's supposed to be here tomorrow (friend's doll that I'll be dollsitting) 8D

7. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I actually never decided which doll I was going to get first. My Mother surprised me with a doll.

Not Able to answer.

If I had chosen for myself, I would have gone with all boys. I don't care much for the girl sculpts although I do adore the only girl I have. I also do love the size that she is, I'm glad my Mother didn't order an MSD or Tiny size. Although, I am getting larger boys (70cm) I know I wouldn't like any size under 60cm. (No offense to people who do like them smaller)

My Only doll for the moment (my boys are still being paid off) is also my first doll. She is an Elfdoll Lydia. I do still own her, and I plan to keep her because even if she was the ugliest doll in existence I still feel an emotional attachment to her. Plus, she has a broken foot and probably needs to be restrung. XD

8. *reads your replies* Great people like this thread. I think I should answer my own questions, too :)

How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I searched a long time before I bought him. When I first read about BJDs the only company I knew was Dollzone, and that's why I always wanted a tanned Yuu :sweat
      Then I found Doll in Mind and felt straight in love with their Achernar.
      I love his mold, I love that he's a priest on the first two pictures (I always wanted my first doll to be one) and he's not too extreme (like D.I.M.'s Lloyd, as example)

After I saw him. He was just perfect for my needs.

It's just normal to think "Maybe you should have choosed another one?", but I'm not unhappy. I'm getting happy everytime I see him and his little smile :aheartbea

As I wrote, a D.I.M. Achernar, SD size <3
      And I'm not even owning him...he will be here in a few days :o

9. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I changed my mind many many many many times before I settled on one doll. I had so many 'First doll' ideas [I think I had about 6 possible first dolls over the course of a year and a half??]...and luckily I decided not to commit to buying until that nagging voice inside my head saying 'You shouldn't get a doll...you shouldn't get a doll' finally shut the hell up. XDDD I knew that if I really wanted a doll, that I needed to stop flip flopping back and forth between getting a BJD or not getting one. After I saw the SDF Dion, I knew he was the one I really wanted, and wouldn't feel guilty about buying.

When I saw the very first owner photo of him....I fell in instant love. I bought him the next day...>____>;;; It was actually kind of impulsive because I didn't have a name picked out for him or a character, but after a year and a half of thinking about it I knew I'd regret missing him later.

Nope never. Even with all the crappy faceups he's had, all of the physical changes I've made to his appearance....even my inabilty to decide on his character has never changed my affections for him. He was the perfect doll for me. : ) No doubt.

My SDF Dion Adonis, and yes I still own him..he will be a year old this coming September. ^^ yay!

10. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?I found out about volks and knowing im obsessed with anime a dollfie dream was perfect.
      And when did you know that this doll should be your first?She was customized and the only one like her. She looked identical to an anime char i really cherish.
      Did you get unhappy with your choice? Do you wish / did you wish that you've ordered another one? No way i was insanely happy buying her. I love her and theres no other one i woulda picked at that time.
      Which doll was your first and do you still own it?Shes a dollfie dream customized old skin, yes i own her still i wouldnt dream of parting with her.

Yup I picked her practically begged and cried my eyes out to get my first doll. Cause of the price it was hard to make my parents understand. Um my mom paid the money upfront but i paid her back with my own money ^^

11. My first doll was a Kid Delf Litchi. She wasn't really a doll I planned on buying, but I did. I spent a few weeks searching companies and molds and decided that I wanted my first to be a Kid Delf. I wanted Ani or Ttori, but then there was Litchi. She looked different than the other KDFs. And she was brandy-new. I would be one of the first to order her. So I changed my mind and ordered Litchi instead of another. But I was still so excited to be getting my first doll, and she seemed to be a sweet, pretty little thing. Then she came to me on Christmas day. (too bad I wasn't home to greet EMS!) I opened the box, and I was in love. I gave her a face-up and she changed from the little sweetheart promised on the website to a firey little brat. And I wouldn't have her any other way. ;)

Seven months later.... I still love my little spitfire. I have not regretted for a single second changing my mind at the last minute. Rachel is my spoiled little first child and I love her to death. She is the only MSD doll, all the ones after her have been SD. But I would not trade her for anything. Miiiiight get her a more mature body someday, but she's never leaving. :)

12. well i found a cherishdoll alley and lOVED her, i had first wanted a Yo-SD kuuta and figured he would be way to hard to get so i settled for her, i want ready to throw myself into a full SD size yet! well right as i was set to order my cherishdoll i found a kuuta for sale and the decision was made for me. i guess i never realy decided it was quite easy in my way

13. My first doll was a dollmore banji, i started out with a tiny to make sure i *really* wanted to be involved in this hobby, and the choice was easy coz id wanted her ever since i saw her years ago :) And i do still have her and i love her to bits, even tho i know now i like bigger dolls and probably wont buy another tiny.
      Choosing dolls now is harder. Im just torn between so many molds :sweat changed my mind a million times about who to save up for next, and im still struggling!

14. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?

Looking through, none of the bodies stood out to me, and with what was available at the time the half-price Domuya body would let me build a hybrid cheaper than I could buy a full doll, and the flexi aspect sounded somewhat interesting. So I ordered a body. Spent another week (was supposed to be two so the parts would be on separate paychecks, but I got anxious) looking through heads. Shimmeringcat asked (over on S2C) if I was thinking of making an anime character based doll as she'd seen me mention most of my Sims showed an influence from the style of Ai no Kusabi. Looking for AnK styled heads I narrowed it down to two DiM Achernar (Iason) and DiM Angelo (Riki). Asked here if anybody had pictures of the heads w/out a faceup and learned that almost nobody had either one... Achernar because he'd been released just barely before they'd stopped making bodies for the redesign. Well, over the course of about three days I realized I was spending a lot more time staring at the Achernar pictures than Angelo, so I broke down and ordered him. This was exactly 2 weeks after I learned of BJDs.

While I was still waiting for him I discovered Dollshes and started to worry that maybe I'd picked the wrong first doll. Then his head arrived and I was enthralled, then I got his body and the resin match was horrible and the body was way too loosely strung and I wondered briefly if I'd made a horrid mistake altogether. But I threw together a poncho to minimize the visibility of the resin issue, and sat him on the couch next to me... and he tipped over and snuggled against my side, and there were no more doubts, he's perfect.

Obviously, Tanal, my DiM Achernar/D1-60 N hybrid lad, and I think think I'd part with my computer, and my entire anime collection before I'd part with him.

15. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      After I became somewhat obsessed with BJDs I started looking into different companies as well as looking at threads here. I was reading a photostory when I saw a doll I LOVED. He instantly grabbed me the second I saw him, and I knew he had to be my first doll.

The moment I saw him.

I love my choice. He is an awesome doll, and I'm glad I ordered him first.

Latidoll Redline M, and yes, I still have him (he is my only resin yet) >w<

Yes, I was able to choose him, and no, he wasn't a present.

As an aside, another way to tell if a doll is right for you is to imagine that you would never be able to get them and think how you feel about that. I didn't know much about restocking, so when Lati said that they were closing the ordering period, I PANICKED. I was almost in tears thinking what would happen if they discontinued him. The same thing happened with my Christmas present (Luts SDF Limited Camilla). I was verrry upset when I thought she was going to sell out before I could order her.

16. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I decided after looking at a bunch of molds. I weighed two very heavly for a while that I absouletly loved before picking the one I ulitmately wanted.

I knew after I fell completely head over heels with him.

Did you get unhappy with your choice? Do you wish / did you wish that you've ordered another one? No I wasn't unhappy. In fact I was thrilled! I couldn't have been happier.

Which doll was your first and do you still own it? My first doll was a Dream of Doll, Dream of Child Hoo [f]. I still own it and I've had him for over a year now. *points to avvie* That's my lovely little boy.

17. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I had three years to do the research and to come up with a wishlist. When I saw the Pipos Baha, I instantly felt that he would help complete my dolly dreams. He's also the cheapest of the three and won't require clothes and wigs.
      I think when Pipos released Baha.
      He hasn't arrived yet but I'm sure I'll love him. I didn't spend months trying to come up with the perfect name for my Baha just to regret him.
      Soon to be Pipos Baha... hopefully soon! *prays*
      Were you even able to choose it? Was it a present?
      I was able to choose him.

18. It took me a while to decide on my first doll. I wanted a BJD for a while before I actually got one, and sometimes I would see a doll that I wanted to buy, but I never did. Last October I found a doll that was being sold on eBay, and I decided that I wanted that one. I almost bought the doll, but then I searched for posts about the company on DoA and found out that the doll was probably copied from a different company. I didn't want to buy a copied doll, but I had thought I was getting that doll, so I was really disappointed. Then I found Abio Angels, and decided that I wanted one instead. I didn't actually buy a doll for several months after that, but when I did I bought an Abio Angel. For a while I thought I wanted Qi, but I decided to get Shi. She was my first doll and I still have her. I wasn't unhappy about my choice.

19. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      Well,when I got into the BJD hobby my friend and I only really knew of LUTS and hadn't explored other companies and the firsts I saw were the El and the Chiwoo. The chiwoo instantly grabbed my attention due to it's innocent expression....especially the MSD one :3

My friends and I roleplay and Caesar was the first one that I created and really wanted a doll form of. So...yeah xD

No,I'm really happy! (granted,my doll has yet to come home....another few days ^^; ). I'm really really choosey on what I want concerning BJDs. I try not to grab a doll just because. I usually have a story for them and already an image of what they have to look like. So,right now I am pretty content :aheartbea

It will be A MSD Chiwoo :D and I will be getting it really soon xD

Well technically speaking he's a gift from my mom because she's paying with her paypal since I don't have one yet but I'm actually giving her the money so....I don't think that's much of a gift if you're paying xD :lol:

20. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      My boyfriend at the time told me that I couldn't get a boy, So I looked all over for a girl I liked. I fell in love with Tender shall but since my boyfriend was buying her for me and didnt like her, I kept searching until I came across my first in a box opening. Her happy little face screamed "Take me home"

And when did you know that this doll should be your first? a day after I found her, When my boyfriend told me that she was cute.

Eventually I did because she wasn't that tender shall I wanted, I really wish he had boughten my tender shall to begin with[it was a graduation gift]. I was also very unhappy with the quality of the doll[the company has improved drastically since].

It was a buddydoll April that I named dannie. I sold her back in september of last year. Her first birthday would have been july 14th.

She was a graduation gift, I was allowed to choose her, but I had major restrictions.