1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

'Complete' Collections of Dolls?

Jun 10, 2010

1. I was reading some responses on a thread a while back and I came across this idea of a 'complete' collection of dollies.. as in they had completed their dolly collection and had no intention or desire to buy or trade any more dollies or doll parts.

Here are the questions!

In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?

Do you think there will ever come a time when you don't want to buy dolls anymore? (Will you ever be satisfied or will your crave for dollies be insatiable)

How many dolls do you think you will want to own in the end? Do you think you will ever sell your dolls or trade them?

If you could create one realistic goal for your dolls, what would it be?

(Extra question) Are your dolls characters you made before you bought them or do their personalities come in time?

2. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?

A complete collection to me would probably be just my set of characters, finished completely to a very detailed and accurate level. It's a very real possibility to me.

Do you think there will ever come a time when you don't want to buy dolls anymore? (Will you ever be satisfied or will your crave for dollies be insatiable)

Yeaaah, I mean I'm pretty young right now in the scheme of life. There are other things I know will become more important than buying the next cool doll or whatever. I'll be satisfied when my characters are complete. I really won't need any more. In all actuality...a large[20 or more] doll collection is an aversive idea to me. I really don't mean to offend anyone, but I'd believe that a huge collection like that would make me read it as kind of a tip off to what kind of person the owner is... which is likely someone I wouldn't agree with. I know that's just my assumptions, but its human nature. Nobody is free of prejudice. We're biologically honed to do it. So I don't want other people to think what I'd think. Because the things I think are likely not kind;;;;;

How many dolls do you think you will want to own in the end? Do you think you will ever sell your dolls or trade them?

10 is perfect. 12 is pushing it. 13 is too many. xD I would never trade them, as I'm always 100% sure of what I want to own before I buy them. They're really personal. I couldn't trade them or sell them. Even if I grew out of the hobby, they're attached to a great sentimental value and creative output for me. I'd probably just abandon the forums.

I already have realistic goals ;;;;; It's not something impossible to exist for me.

(Extra question) Are your dolls characters you made before you bought them or do their personalities come in time?

My characters have been fabricated and worked on for years and years before I ever knew of dolls.

3. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?

Once I get all my characters realized in resin form, I believe my collection will be complete. The only doll "outside" of my own characters is my Soom Cuprit, which I got as a focal point for my collection because I strive to have my own characters match her in beauty, fantasy, and originality.

Right after I bought Cuprit, my desire for ANY other doll plummeted. I was looking at a lot of "just because" dolls. Now I know I won't have any "just because" doll that will satisfy as much as Cuprit, so instead I focus on my characters. Once those characters are complete I will continue to make costumes and get those perfect props for them, but as far as actual dolls go, I'll be done.

Five. My two Warcraft characters, my two book characters, and Cuprit :) So far the only doll I actually want to see (I have her on the marketplace at this very moment) was one I originally bought for my WoW character that didn't wind up working out (Dolkot Lucifer female--so gorgeous, but just too soft and innocent to be the hardened paladin my character is.)

Five. Maybe six if I have an additional book coming out :)

I actually got into dolls because these characters leap out of the page at me and demand to be made into something I can touch. I originally was making cosplays of them, but gave that up when I retired modeling. Now it's for pure goddess resin dollies to cosplay :)

4. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      it's when you don't feel you need any more dolls.
      never gonna happen to me xDD

i seriously doubt so. there is always a new doll i want and i can't stop creating caracters either...

i don't want to have more than 20. really if i have this much i will feel its too much. thats why i keep selling ^^;

huh... dunno

what happen most of the time is: i see i doll i want, and go create a caracter for it. often i never buy the doll :sweat but i keep the caracter :3

5. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      It would be a complete family/gang of my characters. :( Problem with that is that I'd want each of the single ones to have a partner and possibly children. XD But realistically, I can't manage the money or physical space needed for these dolls... (see below)

Probably when I get a MAN doll, because my horde is female-dominated. I think once I have this, I won't want any more SDs because I will have at least one male and one female SD to dress up. ^-^

I can probably only manage the space and money for 6 or 7 at most.

I like to think carefully about what dolls I want. I spend time looking at photos of the doll in different face-ups, costumes and lighting, so I can decide "this sculpt/build doesn't suit me" before I end up losing money. Because of this, I hope to never want to sell any of my dolls. I will only ever sell freebie heads or sleeping heads I have no need for.

Seven. Seven is my absolute limit. I will not get any more dolls after seven.

1 out of 4 were dolls made for characters. One doll I have pans for is also based on an existing character. For the rest, the characters were made up after I got the doll.

6. I'm with you Taruto...I live in a tiny one-bedroom apartment with my husband AND my brother. It's so small, all my dolls live in their original shipping boxes in the middle of my bedroom floor :( Even if I wanted more, where would they go? I'd have to start leaving them on the front porch where they are delivered.

7. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?

Ohhh, who knows really. I used to think if I just got my certain set of themed dolls that I would be done, but then I ended up with another one who isn't part of the theme that I just can't do without, and there are other molds I really really want too. If I were told I could only complete my theme and couldn't get anymore then I could decide on the final one and be done with it, but I'd really like to get more. XD

I think there will. At the moment I'm always thinking I'd like to have this or that mold, but I think there will come a day when I don't feel like buying anymore. I'm sure I'll still buy clothes and all that for the ones I have, but I honestly do think I'll be done buying them at some point. There are more important things in life to spend money on than dolls, and I think those things will catch my interest when the time comes.

It's hard to say really, but I would say between 10-15. If I only got my one other doll I need to complete my little theme and no more that would put me at 10, but I'd like to have a girl and boy pair of twins, and another tiny, so I may get more. And it's always possibly I'll sell or trade a couple of my dolls I already own, although my current group is pretty damn solid.

I would say to not get more than 20. Even 20 itself seems like an awful lot.

A little of both. Some of them really fit their "characters", and others have just refused to fit anything preplanned and either got sold or became something else.

8. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      I don't know that I could ever consider something a "complete" collection. There are always more dolls being made, and more characters to make, etc etc. That said I can see how you could "complete" certain types of collections, like, say, if I wanted to make dolls of all the Inner Sailor Scouts. But even with that it branches out into other characters within that universe.

Doubtful. I find BJDs fascinating. I suppose if there were no more dolls being made that I liked, I probably wouldn't purchase more. But there's always the possibility that an older sculpt might interest me, or I may consider making my own.

I'm one of those crazy collecting people, so there's no telling what the doll count might get up to. I have over 200 My Little Ponies, so...lol. I don't expect to have a ton of dolls overnight, though. I'm up to 5 right now and probably won't buy another for at least a year. As for selling...I'm considering selling my 2 MSD size dolls. I've decided I like tiny BJDs better, especially the 1/6 scale ones, so my MSDs don't really fit any more. But I'm redoing their face-ups first, so I might decide I love them after all.

Oh man, you killed me with the "realistic" part. I want to sculpt my own dolls, but I'm a horrible procrastinator and I get frustrated easily, so I'm not sure I can count that as a realistic goal, haha.

All of the dolls I have right now I bought just because I liked the sculpt. Their personalities are in varying stages of development; two don't even have names yet :sweat. My characters are so specific I don't think I could find a doll on the market that would fit them, or at least not one that would be as close as I want. Thus the whole sculpting idea.

9. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?

For me, my collection will be complete when I've shelled the 8 characters from my writing that I wish to have dolls of.

I really enjoy the hobby and enjoying getting new dolls, but who knows? I think I might be relieved to be "done" once I have my eight characters.

Eight 1/3 scale dolls. I have no more room for that, or characters I want to shell. I keep my dolls in a cabinet, and there's only room for two large dolls per shelf, any more than that looks too crowded to me. I do have two little dolls, too, but I'm not planning on going too crazy with little dolls.

To have my eight characters and make at least two sets of clothes for each one.

I'd written the characters before I ever bought my first doll. In fact, I had no idea so many people made dolls of their story characters until some time after I got my first doll!

10. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?

I plan on having 3 dolls, a big brother and his younger fraternal twins brother and sister. That would be "complete". However I'm not ruling out the possibility of an extended family.

I think my craving for dolls will probably be curtailed more by finance than just not wanting them anymore. there's so many and they're all so unique, how could you not want more?

like I said before, I'm only planning on having 3 but I won't rule out more. I think I would be willing to sell or trade my dolls, particularly if I bought one I ended up not liking as much as i thought i would or if I liked another one better than the one i had.

To have a good quality handmade wardrobe for each.

I only know their names right now. :D

11. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection ?

For me a complete collection would be one doll in each of the main size ranges, or maybe a male and female doll in each size range. I'm very new to the doll scene though, (still waiting for my first to arrive!), so that opinion may eventually change. Right now I am more interested in making clothing for them and posing them artistically for display and photographs. I think I would like each doll to represent more than one personality type by the change of wigs, eyes, and clothing. I'm not building characters for a story or anything, just enjoying the artistic, creative side of the hobby.

Do you think there will ever come a time when you don't want to buy dolls anymore?

Yes a time will come when I don't really want any more dolls. I can't stand clutter and I have many hobbies all competing for the same time, money, and space. Eventually I will not have the time, money or space for more dolls.

How many dolls do you think you will want to own in the end?

I can't see me having more than 6 or so. I won't tuck dolls away in boxes, so if I run out of display space that will be that.

Do you think you will ever sell your dolls or trade them? That's certainly not the plan but if a doll really disappointed me for some reason then I might.

My goal would be that each and every doll in my home would enhance my other creative pursuits in some way. I like to knit, crochet, spin, weave and sew and the dolls are an outlet for that creativity. A doll that I could not create for would be very unsatisfying and would hold less interest for me than a *yawn* collection of knick knacks.

Are your dolls characters you made before you bought them or do their personalities come in time?

I'm actively trying to avoid giving my dolls one set character or personality. Like actors and actresses will try to avoid getting "typecast", I'd like my dolls to stay versatile so that no matter what vision I want to create the dolls can transform into that persona by wig and accessory changes.

12. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?

I don't have any characters, so I guess for me it would be having a variety of dolls in each size, because buying dolls that are very similar to each other gets boring after a while. I like to think I'm done buying new minis and tinies . . . but I know better than to say never! My dolls don't really form any sort of cohesive group either . . . maybe I'm searching for the perfect one?

I'll admit that right now I search for new dolls I like out of boredom (or maybe that's the definition of a hobby?!) I'm sure when (if?) I have something more significant in life to spend money on, I'll cringe at spending hundreds on dolls. That, or, you know, for some reason I want to appear respectable to the outside world. And there's always the possibility of trading this hobby for another (doubtless more expensive) one. Or the doll companies could just exhaust the possibilities. I don't have a long wishlist or anything. Oh yeah, and there's the shelf space thing . . .

Sometimes I think it would be cool to have an entire room with floor-to-ceiling built-in shelves covered in hundreds of dolls . . . I know it's a terrible idea, but it would look cool in a creepy kind of a way! Seriously, I think my collection is already larger than ideal, but I don't want to part with any of them! You hear that, doll companies? Enough! Enough! Okay, I'm going to jinx myself and say after my latest arrives, I only want two more. It was going to be one, but then I found Volks Kanata, and he's completely different from what I had in mind for the last one! See, here we go already . . .

I think they're fulfilling their goal already: they're keeping me entertained. ;)

They're 100% made up after the fact, in the event they have any at all.

13. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      Right now I think of my collection as "complete" because I own as many dolls as I'm comfortable owning, and everyone has faceups and a wardrobe and decent wigs and eyes. It's possible that in the future my tastes will change (...again) and I'll do some shuffling around of my dolls, but I'm not buying any new ones unless I sell one of the ones I have now.

I don't think I'll ever feel like no one will ever make a doll that makes me go OMG I NEED THAT again. But I definitely don't feel an urgent need to buy any dolls right now.

Five seems to be my upper limit. I had gotten up to eight and it was just way too many dolls for me, and it happened because my tastes had changed but I was still hanging onto all the old dolls, so I ended up selling all but two of them and buying three different ones with the proceeds. I expect someday my tastes will change again and I'll either sell off my current dolls to buy other dolls, or sell them to fund some other interest.

TBH at this point all I want is for my Kun to have one wig that is not either a pile of crap or super high maintenance. And for my Syo's eyes to show up. My desires are nothing if not realistic.

I tried to do dolls of characters I'd been kicking around for years but it wound up being frustrating and not fun, so now I just buy the dolls I like, style them the way I think they'll look best, and make up vague personalities for them as I go along. To the extent that they have personalities at all it's so I can base my decisions on what clothes and wigs to buy them on something consistent.

14. Here are the questions!

In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?

I don't think there really is such thing as a complete collection. Doll companies are geared towards inventing new and better products for us to drool over, and lets face it...it works! I think its better to use the term limit or confine, then complete. I mean we either run out of room, or money to keep adding to it. I know at least that's whats happened to me...

Right now I'm feeling quite happy with my collection. That's because a) I have absolutely no more room for dolls in my tiny room and b) because I've made a point of not looking on the marketplace because my doll buying is crippling financially :S

Not sure. Probably not hundreds, because I don't have the space. I have about 15 atm, and I'm happy with that.I usually build dolls from spare parts and paint them up though, and can't resist a bargain..so I'm not sure how long that will last!
      I don't think I'd sell any of them atm. Maybe I'll get sick of them later, who knows?

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this question. My collection is sort of a process of doll building and restoration.

15. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      Getting all the main characters for the Addams Family, plus other characters I've created to add onto it.I may add completely new characters for molds that really blow me away, but I'll mostly only be seeing new molds within the time frame I've given myself to finish this project.Completion includes having their perfect outfit, faceup, furniture, and a giant dollhouse.I do see this coming to fruition. I'm going to enjoy the ride.

Yes. I will always want to play and have a sense of whimsy, but I wont be in the acquisition stage for the rest of my life since this hobby is serving an important purpose for me now. One that probably won't always exist.

Most likely, 14. Yes, if there's a better mold for an existing character.

To finish everything in 5 years.

They're characters of a famous fictional family.I've changed some elements and added new characters. I also tweaked the existing ones, but it's not something I created on my own.

16. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?

Having the characters I want, and having it feel like I don't want to buy anymore. I don't really have a specific cut off.

Probably -- or at least my buying will become very drastically reduced. I just don't know when that will be. I have not felt as strong a need to buy dolls as I have in the past, because I have a lot of the characters I wanted to get bodies for, and I made the decision to pretty much cut out the other story lines. Right now it's just my main group and a few extras. There are still some people who need bodies, but it's not the huge number it once was.

My best estimate? Somewhere around 30-35. I don't plan on selling dolls -- the only way I could see it happening is if I find a doll that suits a character so much better than his/her current body.

Start really trying to photostory my main group (that's not directly related to doll buying, but it does influence who I get when).

Many where characters first, and I've found over time that I do much better in terms of bonding and what not if they are preexisting characters. Some of my nonprexisting characters have had their bodies end up being used for preexisting characters as I've really started to realize where my preferences lie in this department.

17. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you? Possibly not, as I do change my mind and get led astray ;). However, a complete collection would at this point be the main characters of each storyline I've got going, with their right eyes, wigs, faceups, and reasonable amount of cool outfits. Hrm, even then, though, I'll want to keep tweaking, so I wonder if it ever could feel done to me . . .

I'm already slowing down, so I certainly think I will have periods of not buying, or even just decide I'm done - it's not going to be for a LONG time though!

I'd guesstimate I'll top out at 30ish. I may do some selling or trading at some point but I doubt very much!

Everybody has a faceup I'm satisfied with as well as appropriate eyes and wigs and at least one really in-character outfit.

Mainly pre-existing, although a couple of sneaky ones have created characters for themselves. The doll I came closest to selling was bought without a character in mind, though, so I definitely think I need a character in mind ahead of time.

18. Would this be better suited to the Meme section?

Anyways:

I think this has already been summed up for me better than I could have phrased it:
      Do you think there will ever come a time when you don't want to buy dolls anymore? (Will you ever be satisfied or will your crave for dollies be insatiable) I was happy for two years, then I was finally SOOMed. I plan on at least one or two more dolls, but there is always the chance something else will come along that I will want to have. This is not to say that I am not content with my collection as it is now, but if something else comes along that I really like there will always be a place for is in my crew.

How many dolls do you think you will want to own in the end? Do you think you will ever sell your dolls or trade them? I do not have a set number in mind, but its would be hard for me to part with any of my dolls. If I had to for whatever reasons, I would sill keep my first doll, she is not going anywhere. :)

If you could create one realistic goal for your dolls, what would it be? To keep everyone in "pairs" be it couples or siblings. Its nice to be able to just pick a pair to run off with for a photoshoot or a meet.

(Extra question) Are your dolls characters you made before you bought them or do their personalities come in time? Most develop their personalities after I get them, but a few I had the character before hand.

19. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?

I don't make excuses anymore for being a collector in the more traditional sense when it comes to my dolls... I used to try to, because that seems to be frowned upon pretty strongly by the more art-, story- and character-driven members of the community, but in the end I think it's just more honest to call a spade a spade and be done with it.

Anyway, given my appraoch to dolls, a "complete collection" to me isn't really related strongly to the dolls being character avatars. It's more about having a complete line from certain sculptors, or all of the variations on a particular mold. I have a nearly complete "one of each" collection of Shiwoos, for instance. Once I have the PukiFee, I'll consider that particular set done. It has little to do with who those Shiwoos are beyond the resin.

Probably. Though I'm not immune to seeing new sculpts that I'd like to have, and I do still buy new dolls occassionally, like a lot of other people responding to this thread, my rate of doing so has slowed down a lot in the last couple of years. I have no trouble imagining a time when I've completely moved on from that part of the hobby. I doubt I'll ever be done buying outfits and shoes for the little monsters, though. :lol:

In an ideal world, a lot less than I have now. I'd love to halve the current collection, but I know I'm not quite ready to let that many of the minions go... Still, in the last few months the total number of dolls here *has* decreased and that's a general trend I'd like to see continue.

And yes, I do sell them on. I'm more sentimental than I ought to be and I am very attached to some members of my crew, but I don't hesitate to send off the ones that I don't have as much of an emotional investment in. If I don't enjoy having a doll here anymore, why in the world would I keep it?

Get the total population to 50 (or, ideally, less-) and keep it there, avoid new BW dolls as much as possible (I'll admit it. I hate the color most of them turn. :|) and for the love of all that's holy, find somewhere OTHER than the closet to put all those freakin' huge boxes! :x

Six of one, half-a-dozen of the other. About half of mine are resin avatars for favorite tabletop RPG or MMO characters; others are the product of having tried out that more story/character-driven approach to doll ownership for a couple of years. A few can barely be said to have "characters" at all. They're more vague personalities and ideas that may or may not ever solidify into anything else.

Since I'm not so much about the story-thing these days, I'm well past the point of feeling any particular pressure to make those vague ones into anything more substantial. They may end up as regular characters at some point, or they may not. I'm fond of them the way they are, so it doesn't really matter either way.

20. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      Well, I started out with no particular collection goal in mind. However, I've found myself thinking that I'd like to have 5 total who are essentially a family.

Because I can change my dolls with wigs/face-up/eyes to change with my mood or for cosplay, I honestly think that I'll eventually no longer wish to buy complete dolls. However, if someone later creates a sculpt that I absolutely love, I may make an exception.

My current thoughtline is at 5, 2 Yo-SDs(Boy and Girl twin set), 1 female MSD and two male MSDs (one to be a rather flamboyant sort that I can crossdress without feeling guilty, and then one that can be paired with either my flaboyant male or my female.)

My current realistic goal is 5 that fit well proportionally and can be seen as a group.

I tried to base my first doll off a character, so I bought her sculpt to match a character of mine I made long ago. However, from the moment I opened the box, she seemed to have a life of her own. True, she has certain traits similar to my original character, but the two are completely different animals. I don't really mind how it randomly happened.

Because of it, I've given up on trying to create characters or even names for my two that are coming in. I'd hate to go through as much craziness deciding on names and traits only to have my brain destroy the work the moment they arrive. I'm sure that it will all come to me once they do.