1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Did you purchase a "test" doll before fully committing to an aspect of the hobby?

Mar 2, 2015

1. I was talking about a different hobby, sewing, with a friend who mentioned that they had purchased a simpler sewing machine before paying the big bucks for a machine specially geared toward quilting, the end purpose for buying a machine.

By contrast, her mother had saved up money right off the bat for an embroidery machine, without really knowing much about them. She now runs a monogramming business out of her basement, and to my knowledge, she was confident she would have no problems with her purchase from the start, and this belief has proven true.

I realized that I did the same thing as my friend with bjds, purchasing a smaller, less expensive doll, before committing to pricier ones because I wanted to make sure that I liked resin texture and felt comfortable with customization. I also purchased a doll specifically for testing my modification skills, in case I was terrible at it.

I was curious as to which category others fell into? Are these categories binary? Do some of you fall somewhere in between?

2. Well my first doll was not as expensive as some of my later purchases. It wasn't so much to have it as a test doll as it was just the one I fell in love with happened to be a bit cheaper. I will say though that I have pushed the more expensive dolls on my list towards the bottom and gotten the cheaper dolls in their place. That was more for budget reasons.

I did buy a cheaper sewing machine as a starter though. I think I see that more of a learning skill then a doll designed to be one of my characters. If I was going to try my hand at modding though I would want to learn on a cheaper doll.

3. I had to test which size I like best. I started with YOSD size, than Puki Puki from fairyland- and than later I found out that the very tiny ones like Real Pukis are just my favorite size- I love all on them,they are perfect for me-but to realise this it took about 1 year! :)

4. I only bought dolls that I fell in love with. I'm still waiting for them to arrive. I've been interested in bjds for a few years but waited until I was sure before purchasing. I didn't want to spend any money if I wasn't certain. I guess if I wanted to learn how to make modifications I'd buy a cheaper doll though.

5. I started with tinies to "dip my toes into the water", as it were. I wanted to make sure I would enjoy the dolls as much as I hoped I would. Even though I would not say my tinies are my favorite, we have a good relationship and they proved an effective gateway drug for me.

I've been in the hobby since October 2012, but I am only just this year looking into the artistic side of BJDs. I didn't enter the hobby with the intention of learning any of the arts of it, but I have begun to learn sewing, and I will be working on faceups later this year.

6. Yes. I started with a MSD doll to dip my toes into the water, or so to speak. Unfortunately for me, instead of picking a MSD-sized doll I loved, I went with the first one I found, and also did not do any research on the company (Magic Time) or the doll's size (Slim mini). She arrived badly strung and with the worst headcap magnet system I've ever seen. I wound up hating her, and recently sold her. Man, I never thought I'd be so happy to be rid of a doll. I did use the money to buy a doll I truly love, though, and am impatiently waiting for her arrival.

7. That's really interesting, sammyflo. I hadn't thought about buying a test doll for different sizes, but it makes sense. I keep wanting to get into 1/12 scale because then I could really make a nice house for my bjds, but I'm scared of doing the face on something that tiny!

I wonder too if this differs by artistic ability. Having no traditional art class experiences, I knew that modding a doll had the potential to go horribly wrong. Conversely, my friend's mother, who bought the embroidery machine, was already pretty comfortable with sewing machines and the like. She's the only person I know to own a coverstitch machine!

8. My first doll was my most expensive one until the last one I bought. I was in love and there was no wondering about if I'd like him or not. I was of course totally engulfed with BJD love when he arrived. My latest and most expensive doll is on layaway. I didn't know about layaway when I got my first one but I'm in love again so what can I do?

9. I never did anything like this, but I personally don't buy into the idea of starter dolls - for some people it's a great option if they're unsure, but back when I joined the hobby it wasn't a "thing" and I never really felt the need haha. I have always just bought what I loved without worrying about scale. I don't have other collections that I need to worry about them matching, and I don't need my group as a whole to be cohesive, so I have a fair amount of wiggle room :). I have favorite sizes (love SDs!) but I will buy a doll I fall in love with regardless of the size or company. I also adjust easily, so it was never shocking for me to go from a 60cm to a 70cm to a 45cm, etc etc, but I know many people aren't comfortable with these size leaps.

10. My current and first doll is an MSD one and I wasn't fully aware of the MSD, or SD, or YOSD sizes and stuff. I did a lot of research on BJD's but never on sizes. Now, I am longing for an SD doll...or a 70+cm doll. I do have another MSD on the way, but I am currently saving up for my first SD boy. You can say I dipped my toe in the water too....though I mostly wanted an MSD because that character I shelled with her is a tiny girl as well as the other msd on the way, the rest of my OC's are tall people so I want them as SD's XD; but yeah....right now, MSD's are already so big for me O_O;

11. Oh man, I fall completely on the side of test dolls xD For the longest time I tried to sort of convince myself that I didn't want a BJD lmao I tried everything: obitsu, Hujoos, Pullips. But it was no use, I definitely wanted an MSD or larger. Even when I caved, I went for a cheap doll for my first (I love him to bits, but the price was definitely my main impetus for choosing him). Since then my purchases have progressively gotten more expensive. Ironically, it probably would've been cheaper in the long run to just go for the dolls I really wanted! So I don't recommend my route. But I don't regret it. I got rid of the dolls I don't want anymore, kept some unexpected treasures, and I'm at a good spot, so I'm happy xD

12. I jumped right in. No tons of research - though I had signed up with DoA way before I bought my first doll, I only became active here after buying and receiving my first doll - I basically only knew that BJDs existed, that there was a forum called "Den of Angels" dedicated to those dolls and that there were several different companies. I bought the doll I liked most, which was a Unidoll Ark for 550 USD (500 for the doll, 50 for the company face-up) that came with wig and eyes. I had no problems whatsoever getting "into" the doll hobby and never regretted buying him.

13. Kinda. My first doll was a ResinSoul Gang, who has a lower end price point. It only took a few weeks for me to know that I would really enjoy this hobby and then preordered my Loongsoul and Asleep Eidolon girls.

14. I didn't want to spend extra money, so I went all in for THE doll--as if I could get only one. (and really, at those prices, I thought one was going to be it! Little did I know!!!!)

I researched a lot, looked at everything out there, thought about what I wanted in a doll if I could have only one... and committed!

I still have my first after over 10 years of being in the bjd hobby!

15. No, I didn't have to buy a "test" BJD, as my friend had several at the time so I was able to play with hers and see what size I liked best. So when I went to buy a doll, I went for the one who called out to me first.

For sewing machines, I went basic first since all I really need it to do is go backwards, forwards and do zigzags. It doesn't need to sing, dance or make chili. It just needs to work. :) With BJDs, I just need to love them, price is no hindrance.

16. I didn't, however I also don't have particularly expensive taste in BJDs. The first doll I wanted didn't cost very much, otherwise I might have.

17. I have to admit to buying a cheap doll as my first doll partially because I just wanted to have one. But I actually really do love that doll which is a Resinsoul Dian. He has a character that I really love and I'm really glad I got him (but I still have to re-string him, get him a face up, and anything to wear XD *is such a bad dolly owner*). Having him just made me more sure that I wanted other dolls. I think it was a great way for me to dip my toe into the hobby.

18. I did get a test doll in MSD size cause I like the bigger size but SD seemed to big and more expensive to start with. But now I have about the same amount of SD that I do MSDs. I still have my first girl and I would never think about reselling her even if her current faceup is not my favorite anymore.

19. Sort of, I suppose. I didn't actually intend to get into the hobby at all when I got started; I was intending to get an inexpensive doll that I could use as a model for sewing clothes to sell at anime conventions. I did, of course, also get a doll I liked, since even "inexpensive" was a good chunk of change for me at the time, and I wasn't going to sink over $100 on something I didn't even like the look of!

Instead, I ended up... not liking the doll when he arrived. :sweat Until I chopped up his wig, wiped his faceup and repainted him, and found him some clothes that halfway fit. After that, I fell in love with my little, inexpensive doll and started planning more! But honestly, if it had only been the really expensive ones I liked, I probably would have continued to stay out of the hobby; the less expensive "test" doll is what did it for me.

20. I definitely bought meself a test doll, yes. Though I do not regret buying a test doll, I only owned her for two months. Couldn't really bond with her and deepest down she was nothing but an ''easy way'' into the hobby. She was a preowned hybrid and was sold rather cheap(however legit!) and I just craved having a doll so much that I took the first and best I could find. However, like I said, I do not regret buying her as my first doll. It really gave me the confidence I needed and boosted my interest. :)