1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Different Brand or Single Brand BJD Collector?

Mar 31, 2021

1. I collect different brands of BJD but I am curious about everyone else. Do you collect different BJD brands or only one BJD Brand?

For me I tried initially single brand collecting because I really liked the designs & aesthetic look and I was worried how collecting other brands would clash in my BJD collection. This all changed when I did my 1st custom now I collect different brands since I am not worried about the looks since I customize my own dolls.

2. I've had two different dolls now but not at the same time. I probably will not be sticking to only Dollzone now that I have my Dollzone boy. I've got my eye on Granado models and some others, plus I like vinyl offtopic dolls too.

3. I collect from multiple brands. There's just too many great sculpts and bodies out there. I'm always tempted!

4. I actually a have a small rule for myself that I'm only allowed one doll from a brand! I plan on breaking it the future (I want to order a Fairyland Jiyu in the near future and then Miwa came out and then I had to buy her...) but it's fun to keep variety in my collection and make sure that none of my dolls are too similar visually. Although since I give all my dolls faceups it's easier for them to look cohesive, so if you have separate brands and separate face-up artists I understand how it'd be difficult for a collection to "fit in" together.

5. Shortly after I started out, I thought that I would collect only Iplehouse. Hah! I've broadened my horizons significantly since then. Still love those Iple dolls and own quite a few, but there are so many sizes, shapes and aesthetics out there, it's become hard to choose between them. By now I own everything from less than 10cm to over 75cm, hyper real to complete fantasy - with a few pets smattered in between. You can't generally find all of that within one company. I don't really care if they clash - I have so many by this point that it's not as if I'll ever take them all out at once for a photoshoot, so I figure it doesn't really matter if they 'fit'. :sweat

6. My dolls are a mix. There are a few from a couple different makers, and the rest are all from different brands. My mental story for my doll's characters is that they are students in a multi-dimensional college, so it makes sense that they have a variety of everything.

7. I’m looking at all kinds of brands, though Fairyland and Ringdoll have become my favorites.
      I care more about the look than the brand, though.

8. I am definitely a lover of doll diversity and it has caused me to have mostly dolls from all different companies. The exception for me is that with my anime style dolls I have a lot of volks dollfie dream heads and obitsu bodies. But the majority of my collection remains from different companies.

9. I collect different brands but the same general style. Most of my dolls are Luts msds but I also have others that fit the same aesthetic since I still want them to look cohesive as a group.

10. Personally I always wondered about people who were loyal to only one single brand/company. Not that there's anything wrong with it, just that it really did seemed odd to me when I first got into dolls, because for myself, I saw beautiful dolls from all over.

So it goes without saying that I see a doll face I fall in love with, and go with it.

11. I have 9 dolls from the same company, so I am quite loyal to one company, but besides that I do own some different dolls, a Fairyland Littlefee, an artist doll, two Volks vinyls, and an Aileendoll dragon. I kinda switched to one vinyl company, but simply couldn't get myself to sell the resins that I still had.

12. I collect mostly to shell characters, and it would be basically impossible to get all of them from a single company. It takes some working to make them look consistent with their styles, but I also really enjoy stuff like having more varying body types and NS shades. I find it adds to the realism!

13. I only have one doll currently, but I fully plan to have many by many different companies because my tastes are varied.

14. My first two dolls were from Dream of Doll and Iplehouse, then a couple of months later I bought Homme Ducan from Dream of Doll. I was particularly partial to DoD dolls and over the years I've come to own several, but sadly they have closed. I do own several different brands and I'm usually swayed by the doll's looks.

15. My two are from different companies, plus I'm getting a body from a third company, so I'm already kinda shot on brand loyalty! :lol:Ah well. I just look at whether I like a given doll's style and sculpting, and while some companies may fit what I like better than others, there's always the particular highs and lows.

16. I have dolls from a hodgepodge of companies. Judging by the number of dolls I have from certain brands *cough* Volks *cough* I have a strong preference for certain aesthetics, but it's not a be all end all.

17. I've only just started collecting and while I certainly have favourites, I haven't limited myself to one specific artist or company! I have a preference for fantasy dolls from dream valley and miracle doll, but some more realistic sculpts (such as nakana and simply divine's heads) are part of my collection too. I also have a Resinsoul!

Tbh I think I see a pretty doll that matches my taste and if it makes me swoon enough I go for it, haha. My collection is never going to be coherent or stuck to one brand over others for that reason. :')

18. Most of my dolls are from one company, and since they have changed directions with their aesthetic I will most likely move on to the second company I have been eyeballing. This doesn't mean that I don't look at and purchase from other companies though, as I do have other dolls from different companies. I have two Dollzone YoSDs, a Loongsoul YoSD, and LUTS MSD (who spends most of her time in a box as I contemplate selling her) and a bunch of Souldoll in most of their sizes.

19. Since I first got interested on bjds I knew I wouldn't collect only one company dolls. Now, after more than 11 years collecting and more than 60 dolls owner, the most dolls of only one company I bought are 8 and 6,there's just so many dolls and so many brands I can't have only from one, for me that's impossible but I find it interesting when someone only collects from one specific brand..

20. I deliberately created my collection to embrace diversity by setting it up in a fairytale world from the very beginning, where all sorts of fascinating beings reside (think of wandering through a Tim Burton’s “Alice” scenario.) So of course the companies were always going to vary by initial design. But it’s surprising to me, all these years and nearly 50 dolls later, that a handful of companies truly stand out in my collection: Luts (what can I say, they just have tremendous diversity and quality) Volks (big fan of their aesthetic) Doll Chateau (love the quirkiness and fairy-like elongated limbs) and Fairyland (cute fantasy-like faces and excellent body construction on their tiny dolls.) So I run the gambit from 15 Luts dolls to having 14 different companies represented in my collection.