1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you consider Dollfie Dream to be a BJD?

Jul 8, 2009

1. I have heard a few people refer to Dollfie Dream as not being true BJD because they have an skeleton (shown below) as opposed to elastics, they have a very anime apperrence, and their bodies are always the most realistic.

Some people say they are more like giant figmas than BJD. I disagree with this, being a Dollfie dream owner myself. I think they are as much a doll as any other BJD and I love mine just as much as anyone would theirs.

What do you think?

[​IMG]
      (Dollfie Dream Skeleton, picture from dannychoo.com)

2. Hmm.. Well they have "ball joints", right? If that's right, then technically, skeleton or not, they're ball joint dolls.

3. Dollfie Dreams used to be strung with elastic and made up of various "ball-like" joints and so the newer ones were kind of grandfathered in to the forums. I do not think anyone thinks of them as any less of dolls (well at least I don't) I just think some question them being on topic for the forums.

4. They do technically have ball joints yes.

5. It was always my understanding that the DD2 and DDdy bodies aren't BJDs while the DD1 body was at least semi-BJD. I don't consider them any less doll-like than BJDs, though.

Also, look at the hands on that skeleton. They're reversed.

6. I don't really consider them to be the same as BJDs, but I dont think anyone is saying they aren't dolls or are somehow less loveable.. I'm sure if they weren't grandfathered into the forum, they would be off topic simply because their facial features are not realistic in the same way as a BJD.

7. wow ive never seen the skeleton before thats kinda amazing. ive considerd DD's as bjd's and i think i want one even more now.. no restringing?! seriousley?! no tight or loose?! thats pretty wicked haha..
      plus there little faces are just so sweet with the eyes and such. <3

8. They're as much a doll as BJDs, of course. But in terms of their actual construction and materials they are a scaled-up Dollfie rather than a "true" BJD. They're still good dolls, they're just a different type of doll. :)

9. They're just as "realistic" as many older Volks sculpts, which were the original resin ABJD's. So, no, the reason they'd be off-topic is because they don't meet the criteria of being a strung doll with socket and ball joints that operate solely on elastic tension.

That being said, I don't think they're a ball-jointed doll, precisely for the reason stated above. That doesn't mean I think they're any LESS of a doll - in fact I've considered buying one myself, along with a whole bunch of the 1/6 dollfies. Like many others said, they're just a different kind.

10. For the reason of no strings/being vinyl, they are not technically bjds. Though I, personally, still call them BJDs because it seems silly to make the distinction every time I see one.

And if Figmas are the popular anime statues, I couldn't dissagree more with the person who called them that. They are DEFINENTLY dolls and far more comparable to BJDs than those statues.

11. Yes I do. I consider any and all dolls that have balls (or spherical
      shaped) joints to be ball-jointed-dolls. XD However, that doesn&#8217;t
      mean that I will expect them to be allowed everywhere, and any where
      &#8220;BJD&#8221; are discussed. There are rules and guides to follow, but personally
      I don&#8217;t make such distinctions IRL (about material, strung vs. not strung, etc).

This reminds me of a conversation I was having a while back with non-&#8220;bjd&#8221;
      friends of mine, about how most &#8220;modern&#8221; resin &#8220;ball-jointed-dolls&#8221; allowed
      in certain forums today, are mostly comprised of (technically) non-spherically-shaped
      joints. I don&#8217;t know why, but it brought a smile to my face. ^______^

I own a DDI btw, and Figmas (I consider the latter figures, not dolls, nor statues though).

- Enzyme ^.^

12. I owned a Dollfie Dream for a while, and I found myself very rarely including her in my count of my BJDs. It wasn't because she was less important or loved, but because her materials and construction were so different that I tended to think of her as a different type of doll from my others. I still loved her dearly and often posed her with my resin dolls. I hope to own another Dollfie Dream someday when my resin crew is more complete. Even then, however, I will probably see her as a different type of doll; just as awesome as my resins, but still different.

I do think that they are definately on topic for the forum, however, and would hate to lose their endering presence among our ranks. The observation I made was completely personal and referred more to an occasional quirky feeling than to a deep resolve. :lol:

13. I don't know anything about DD, but I consider them to be BJDs.

And I sure hope you can switch out their hands because the skeleton one in the photo's are on backwards!

14. I think of the vinyl 14" Helen Kish dolls as BJD's so I see no reason to not think of Dollfie Dream as BJD's too.

And the skeletons look like they have ball joints at the shoulders and elbows at the very least (I've never encountered one in person, so I'm just going by the picture)

15. Well, if you break down "BJD" it means "Ball Jointed Doll". Dollfie Dreams sure are much more ball-jointed than some of the dolls that are considered On Topic for DoA so I'd definitely consider them BJDs :lol:

But then, I consider the Spanish antique dolls with ball joints that I saw in Palma BJDs, as they are Ball Jointed Dolls so... :lol: My opinion probably doesn't count :XD:

16. Figma are highly posable figures, same with some revoltech (there are human and mecha revoltech). They have a lot of parts that move like the skeleton of a DD does, and you can switch out their heads/faceplates. I can see how people would associate a DD with them, as a Dollfie Dream is kind of like an odd mix between a Figma/Revoltech and a BJD if you look at it in that light.

I do still consider Dollfie Dream to be a BJD of sorts. They're just not along the same lines as resin dolls are currently.

17. The term "ball-jointed doll" refers to not only the dolls on this forum, but many other types as well.

Pretty much all dolls with ball-joints are ball-jointed dolls. Just because this forum limits to certain types does not discredit other BJDs from being what they are.

So yes, Dollfie Dream, as are Hans Bellmer dolls, many fashion dolls, even Goodreau, are all BJDs without question.

18. I consider all types of dolls that are ball-jointed to be bjd, and so that includes goodreau, off topic pet dolls, dollfie dream, actual dollfie (the 20~cm type) and obitsu (60, 55, 47, 28, 27, 25...). I have dollfies and I have the smaller obitsus (so like the dollfie dream they are vinyl with plastic skeletons and, yes, ball joints) and I certainly include them in my counts even if people here do not. So what if they are vinyl and have no strings? They have ball-joints, and so are ball-jointed dolls

19. Hear hear! :D

20. lolitaroses61 ~ Not sure if your question is qualifying itself as "Dollie Debate" - what definition are you using when you ask if DD is "BJD?" How can that doll not be a ball-jointed doll? In the same way that most antique porcelain dolls, modern porcelain baby dolls, etc., are ball-jointed dolls?