Do you draw your dolls?

Sep 3, 2016

1. For those artists out here: do you draw your dolls (or their characters, as it were)? All of them? Only some? Do you try to make the drawing look juuuust like the doll, or does it vary? Post a picture if you've got one on-hand!

Bonus round, did they start as drawn characters and were shelled into dolls? I've forbidden myself from doing so but I'd love to hear others' stories c:

I don't have my boy quite yet, but I've already drawn him - he's a LUTS Avalanche. I've been trying to make him look like the real sculpt but it's proven a lot harder than I thought it would, heh.

[​IMG]

(i'm talented at posting in the wrong forums so sorry in advance if this is wrong, mods ;w; i *did* search for duplicates and didnt find any)

2. i did draw my doll once or twice ;-; its horrible i tried to make it look like the sculpt so it just came out in a weird style haha although i kinda like it it came out looking like a silent android or something?? ah idk im just rambling now.. he was never a drawn character though... i plan on making one of my oc's a doll tho so im excited ^-^

3. I have also forbidden myself from shelling pre-existing characters (too many...). I imagine that I will. Mine lean towards realism, so I think that I would be more comfortable stylizing them.

4. Your draw is awesome, I loved! Sometimes I draw my dolls, it looks like they are alive when I do it because I can see them with different expressions and poses

5. I have drawn some of my dolls, but not often. I'm thinking of doing it more just because there are some things that can't be done with the dolls, like drastically changing their expression or certain kinds of clothes or poses! I try to catch a resemblance to the doll, but I don't slave over accuracy.
      [​IMG]

I have also forbidden myself from making dolls of drawn characters, that's too dangerous! ;D So the dolls I've drawn all originated as dolls.

6. I couldn't draw a stick figure unless the stick figure I was trying draw was a scribble. Even then it would be a bad scribble.

7. I don't draw very well, but I still draw my dolls. Usually they're weird chibis when I do. ^^; Christian is my favorite to draw, though.

All my sketchpads are still in boxes, alas. So, I can't share any of my drawings. ;o;

8. I suck at drawing, and rarely share them, but I love drawing all of my dolls. XunXun is my favorite to draw, cause I imagine he'd make a lot of facial expressions XD

9. I have drawn all of my doll characters before with varying degrees of success. Most were characters created for their universe but I may shell some more long standing characters when my budget allows for more dolls.

This is my monster-ish boy, a Dollzone Virgil named Raico. He usually has pants but I wanted to do a male torso the day I drew this.

[​IMG]

10. I've got one drawing I did of Dahlia... I thought her up specifically to be my doll!
      [​IMG]
      Why is everyone so good at drawing??? Wow

11. Aaaaa, omg, look at her! That's super cuteee aaaa

Admittedly I did something similar! Though I guess by accident; now I'm stuck lamenting that I'll probably have to find a seamstress to custom-make his jacket....

12. Sometimes I draw my boys XD

Henki Hantu:

[​IMG]

And I have drawing commission from my friend with my Mr. Jones <3

[​IMG]

13. I have drawn pictures of other people's dolls, just for fun. I wanted practice for drawing and I think getting a doll would really help me.

14. @iVanniez
      Aa, that's cool! :D I agree, I think having a doll would definitely help you practice more.

I must admit, I definitely plan to use my doll for pose reference. He may not be properly proportioned to a real human, nor will he be as flexible as one, but he fits my style decently - and he fits on a table much better than my roommate lolol.

15. Yes! I agree. I'm not really into the whole 'real life human proportions.' anyway. Dolls are cuter.

16. I always draw my dolls. Usually it's for character design and concepts, and I usually start right after I've bought a doll.
      Here's the most recent set of sketches I've got:
      [​IMG]

17. I should proooobably learn better proportions but it's just more interesting to exaggerate. Realistically, I should learn more about realism stuff and then stretch it more (just a better practice) but that's effort. P:

! oh my gosh, her hair is amazing! That's a smart idea too, drawing the doll to get a feel for them. I was going to try that, in theory, but I ended up getting stuck and fixated on what I had designed, oops. We'll see how it goes!

18. I always try to doodle my dolls when I give them a new style, but I can't see to find my notebook right now (pretty worried! I hope I find it and can post some of them). They're all female until now and I have trouble drawing male characters, so I hope getting my new SD next week and trying to draw him will help in more than one way~
      Plus it's very entertaining to be able to do things with them that you can't in real life! (and I'm not very good with photos)
      I do love seeing all your drawings next to your dolls, so many art styles but they are all recognizable and I love seeing the small differences between real life and what we see in our heads concerning their personality, face expressions and style in general

19. I'm not as good as some of you but all my Dolls who arrived or will arrive are based on Own Characters i draw before.
      Its kinda hard to find a Doll who look acactly like the Character of yours. So jeah its Kinda hard and i think you have to deal with some differences. but i loved my OC's so much and i loved my Characters so much that i managed to find the Dolls who are perfect for them.

I'm not ready jet with the Dolls, but if so, i would like to share them with you :)