1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you hide your hobby from certain people?

Jun 9, 2014

1. I have just started this hobby and am really excited about it. When I showed one of my friends, she looked at me like I was crazy and even said some rude things. Since then I have been very careful about who I share this hobby with. Am I the only one who does this or do some of you guys do?

2. I personally believe that all people should accept people for any 'weird' quirk they have, be it dolls or whatever.
      I am not ashamed to tell people about my doll collecting even if they think it is weird and I respect their opinion to think so.

I hope you haven't taken your friend's comments too hard and will continue to enjoy the hobby!
      Welcome to the forums.

3. Pretty much everyone knows about my hobby, even my work colleagues who think i'm crazy. But you need to be strong and proud there is nothing wrong with this hobby, just narrow minded people.

4. I don't really hide my hobby from anyone as no one really cares all that much. If your friend feels the need to be rude, then she isn't a very nice friend.

5. I told my boyfriend about the dolls I wanted on our first date. He thought it was a little strange but he liked that since he's strange too.
      I was hesitant to tell my co workers about them at first. I've just mentioned that I collect dolls, nothing real specific though like price or pictures. They didn't judge me or anything. All my family so far has been supportive especially since its an easy way for me to have an expressive outlet for all my hobbies in one. Before I got into the doll hobby I went to cosmetology school and I worked in a salon doing makeup and weaves/ extensions. I also styled hair and wigs. Then I got into sewing. When I told my mom what all I could do with the dolls she recognized right away what made me so interested in them.

6. A lot of my friends and family think I'm crazy for spending so much on dolls. I just know that I'm enjoying myself. I know that some people don't like dolls or are terrified of them. I'll tend to only talk about dolls to people that I know pretty well. You just have to do what you love and not take negative comments too seriously.

7. Everyone in my life is super supportive even if they "don't get it", mostly because of how happy it makes me. My friends are awesome about it though because even if it "creeps them out" they're still willing to see my doll and let me get excited about doll things.

My friends are great like that, we all have different passions for kind of weird stuff so we support each others love for our hobbies. It's all about who you surround yourself with!

8. Well for the most part I've hid it from most people. My family knows and only really good friends know. I've been in the hobby since 2005 and in all that time there are still people who judge you for it. Especially, if you are older.

9. Nope, everyone who knows me knows I'm 'special'. :) Those who don't know me pffft...
      I have my reasons for the dolls and I don't have to justify or explain anything - also I'm too old to pick on, 'respect your elders' (yah right), even if they are weird...:roll:

10. I don't hide it from anyone but I try not to talk about it around friends who find dolls creepy/don't like them.

11. I've only told a couple people, and my boyfriend thinks it's an old hobby, not my current one ^^; I'll get him straight eventually but I only tell people I know won't judge my hobby in a bad way. I'm not a fan of bad moods and rudeness :(

12. My boyfriend knows (we live together.) I haven't told anyone else. It's my hobby and frankly none of their business anyway!

13. At first I was really excited and told different people. I got mixed reactions. No one really liked them enough to spark their own interest, but some were supportive. Others just thought it was creepy/crazy. My boyfriend is having a very hard time accepting my new hobby, so whenever he's around I try to keep my internet browsing to other things. He's claims he's very creeped out by the dolls when they have no hair, and especially when they have no hair, make-up or eyes. Kind of understandable, except that for this past Christmas I bought him a headcrab zombie statue. Not sure how these dolls are creepy but that isn't. :lol:

I've told him he'll just have to live with it! You've gotta stand up for the things you enjoy in life. If he was gonna leave me over dolls then I'd say we have bigger problems. ;)

For now I just mostly keep it to myself with new people, since they aren't even here yet, and I'll see how things go once they're around to show off.

14. I have no reason to hide it, but on certain occassion I think it's not appropriate or very "smart" to tell about my hobby to a person who just doesn't care about it. I don't need that persons opinions... And I don't want to ruin my day because of that. I'm a very sensitive person. I think I have been lucky, because I have got more compliments of my dolls than dirty looks. :D

15. No she isn't, I have just recently found out she talks about me when I am not around. Soooo I dropped her. I have other friends who may not have the same interest in these dolls, (Some are creeped out) but they cannot wait to see mine :)

16. Most of my friends know about my hobby. Only person I tried to avoid talking about it around, was this newbie on a forum I run, I was showing one of my Co-mods a picture of Avalon's new faceup and the kid kept making comments like: "Oh my gosh that is effing CREEPY it's too humanlike!" And wouldn't stop making comments like: "Gross" or "Disgusting" when I was trying to show OTHERS who actually support me what I wanted them to see. He even said Vala my little RS Bei was EVIL. How is THIS little thing EVIL?

[​IMG]

Eventually I just stopped posting links about dolls in general to the chat thread instead of the shout box...He still found 'em and felt the need to make his comments, I finally asked him to stop because he was disrespecting me. (One of the other co-mods tried to say: "Not everyone's gonna like dolls" which I got, but he didn't need to be nasty about it and continuously making rude comments.)

17. yes I do and I know why: many people are very intolerant. For example my mother in law. She does not understand a woman drives motorcycle instead of having children. Wearing make up and high heels: and if she knew I had dolls she will scream about me how stupid it is. And childish. This is what many people told me when I told them about my hobby. So I hide it of intolerant people like her. Everybody should be allowed to do what makes him happy- without an acpeptance!

18. I don't mind being considered odd, I have been for most of my life (seems to come with the autism thing ;) ). I guess you could say I'm used to it, so I don't really care about people thinking I'm weird. I'd rather they choose to either accept me or reject me for who I am, than me having to hide aspects of my life in order to fit in. That would just feel dishonest to me. So no, personally I don't hide my hobby from anyone.

19. Can't say I've ever hidden my hobby one bit. I've been pretty lucky that even the people I know who don't like dolls A) have manners and B) seem to understand why I like them instead of just deciding I'm creepy/crazy. I have one cousin who was kind of judgemental about them based on the cost, but he was also really judgemental years ago when as a young teenager I read and collected a lot of manga, so I take it with a grain of salt really.

20. You go! A lot of people would just put up with the abuse. It's good that you have other friends that can encourage and support you.