1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you prefer company-made or artist-made dolls?

Jan 14, 2019

1. What I mean is, do you prefer dolls made by companies like Iplehouse or Volks, or do you prefer dolls made by single-person artists working from their own small business and why?

2. I buy and like both. But I do tend to like artist made dolls. I like how unique most of them are and a lot of them have a different look to them than most company bjds. Also most artist made dolls have custom face ups which is really nice if you the artist work and you can have whatever u want for a faceup. I don’t like most company faceups

3. I tend towards companies mostly because they're cheaper (often without sacrificing quality) and easier to order. Having said that, I feel like it's a difficult line to draw- for example I'm sure companies like Miracle Doll don't have a huge staff, but I instinctively consider them a "company" because I can buy from them on Alice's Collections.

When I think "artist dolls" I think preorder periods and super-limited releases, which I just always miss.

4. I like both! I love the beautiful craftsmanship and love that goes into each and every sculpt no matter the size of the business. Artist dolls tend to be more unique in body and shape, but doll companies (ex: Doll Chateau) can also get some wild creations!

5. I definitely agree with all of you, but I am also the one who always misses limited releases and pre-orders There are so many independent dolls I have my eye on but I never can make the preorder for...

6. I have to say "both", too...
      What really matters to me is how fond I am of the doll's sculpt, not the size of the company that produced it.

7. I have one artist-made doll, while the rest of my crew is company-made. I am more character-driven when deciding on doll sculpts, though. Case in point, none of my dolls' heads come from the same company or artist.

8. For myself, I generally prefer the aesthetic of company-made dolls, but I really like to look at other people's artist dolls!

9. I own both. :) While sculpt and the doll itself are the main factors in choosing what I buy, if I've met the artist in person and have connected with them, the doll becomes that much more special!

10. Both! I have more company made dolls, mostly because of the price and ease of ordering, and because they tend to be more standard sizes/proportions so they look nice together. If I'm buying artist dolls, they need to fit with the others.

Even so, most companies are still just a handful of people or even a single person, so I kind of feel like the lines of artist doll or not are very blurred.

11. I have a mix, but most of my heads are from smaller artists while my bodies are from companies. I think my taste run towards artists though because they tend to try out a lot of new and unique styles and ideas and aren't as constrained when it comes to taking risk and trying new things, since most of them have other jobs. But none of these companies are all that big, so lines get blurred.

12. I like both depending on the sculpt, but I find myself leaning towards artist sculpts lately. The only part I don't like about artist sculpts is how rare some of the dolls can get! Sometimes I'll find myself falling in love with an artist doll but can't afford to shell out the hundreds of dollars it'd take to adopt one second-hand.

13. I like and own both. I don't honestly see a big difference between a brand with one sculptor and no extra staff and a brand with three sculptors and a staff to market/translate/ship. Both structures, in terms of marketing, can hold different appeal for different types of customers. Having both styles helps cover the market niches, which is good. In the end, it's still artists making the dolls, just with different sales formats.

(I think some individual artists get labeled as "companies" because they've been around for so long and have made X amount of stuff but really it's still a one person operation. Like Dollshe, he still does most of the work and sometimes enlists his mom for help, but few people think of his stuff as "artist dolls")

14. In BJDs, most "big" companies aren't that large at all so there isn't a huge difference. I think there's a perception that BJDs that are more popular are like Walmart now, when they're really like Walmart when it was founded.

So - I don't care in theory. Artist dolls/smaller productions with less people get more expensive most of the time. When I find a doll I have to sort out whether that particular sculpt is worth the investment. Unfortunately, artists sculpts often end up getting cut in the end.

15. Both, in the abstract. As others have said, it's about the sculpt. However, in terms of actual practice, my buying patterns strongly suggest a preference for artist-made products

16. I own both and I love both. Company made dolls tend to be more readily available, and also less expensive to purchase secondhand (unless it’s a limited), but artist dolls tend to be unique and charming. Kaye Wiggs girls, for example, have a look all their own. They’d never be mistaken for a sculpt from a different company. While with company dolls, sometimes they tend to look alike, even across companies.

17. I mainly get dolls depending on the character fit, so I don't think about it that much though. If both products are of similar quality and price, and equally as fitting for my plans I prefer the artist/small company version. Even if it's a bit more expensive.

The only dolls I have that aren't specific characters are artist dolls, though. I don't think I'd buy a doll with no premade plan from a company... there's something just extra special about artist dolls. Like they're a bit more unique and special.

18. Like others have said, I don't think there's a hard line between "company made" and "artist made." They're all made by artists in the end. I have a mix of both - in the end, I care more about whether I like the sculpt and/or if it fits the character I want to shell.

19. I buy both. Comes down to the sculpt.

Though when I find a head I like made by a less popular single person studio who isn't gonna do a second run so it is like noooooooooo how will I ever find this head :...(

20. Yes same! I try to find dolls that are perfect for the character I’m making them into, but i do currently have one mix-matched doll and I have my eye on a bunch of different parts for future characters...