1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Doll Clothes and Accessories made from Fur and Leather

Nov 18, 2010

1. I went ten pages in on a search and didn't find what I was looking for. If I overlooked or missed a thread like this, I apologize and urge the mods to move or delete this as they see fit.

Because of my upbringing using fur and leather doesn't bother me at all. I may not like raising and killing an animal simply for it's fur, but in the end it doesn't really bother me. I'm curious to know how others would react if they saw a doll in the Galleries dressed in real leather or fur.

For the purposes of this discussion, the fur or byproduct in question is not from endangered animals and can be legally obtained in your country of origin.

Would you be insulted or shocked to see a doll wearing clothes made from animal byproduct (furs and leathers and such)?
      Does it make a difference if the byproducts came from animals we eat (cows, rabbits, pigs, sheep, etc.)?
      Would it make a difference if you bought the leather/fur from a crafts store (like Hobby Lobby or Michael's)?
      Would it make a difference if you bought the byproduct straight from the distributor, whom you knew to use all parts of the animal?
      Or is it all the same to you?

2. I have no problem with leather and fur. However I will not go out of my way to buy it for myself or my dolls.

3. Would you be insulted or shocked to see a doll wearing clothes made from animal byproduct (furs and leathers and such)? No, I would not be insulted or shocked. I myself wear leather and I'd wear fur if there wasn't such a social stigma against it.

Does it make a difference if the byproducts came from animals we eat (cows, rabbits, pigs, sheep, etc.)? No, though I think for a lot of people that makes it more acceptable

Would it make a difference if you bought the leather/fur from a crafts store (like Hobby Lobby or Michael's)? No.

Would it make a difference if you bought the byproduct straight from the distributor, whom you knew to use all parts of the animal? Or is it all the same to you? I think it'd be really cool and I'd heartily approve.

I'm a unabashed meat-eater and I don't have any moral qualms with using products from animals. I do think that the way animals are treated during their lives is unacceptable, but I don't think boycotting the entire animal industry is the way to change things. I do my best to use animal-products that come from well-treated animals.

4. Animal bi-products don't bother me at all, under the assumption that they are not from endangered species, and are legal to obtain. I buy fur, and leather, when I decide something I'm making needs it. Also have 2 hair on the skin wigs that I adore, and intend to buy more as I can afford to do so.

5. I like fur and leather, and think they look great :) I want to have a doll outfit with a fur trim around the neck (faux fur just doesn't quite live up)

6. Would you be insulted or shocked to see a doll wearing clothes made from animal byproduct (furs and leathers and such)?
      I wouldn't be insulted or shocked per say but I would make the D: face. I try to avoid using those products myself but I don't expect that everyone else is going to feel the same way. I'd like to go full vegetarian oneday but I certainly don't expect anyone else to.

Does it make a difference if the byproducts came from animals we eat (cows, rabbits, pigs, sheep, etc.)?
      I never see PROOF that the animal was used as food (we can assume but how often is there PROOF) and well... the meat industry is horrible if you know some of what goes on in the background and how some animals get treated... so for me that wouldn't help at all.

Would it make a difference if you bought the leather/fur from a crafts store (like Hobby Lobby or Michael's)?
      Um... no, not for me.

Would it make a difference if you bought the byproduct straight from the distributor, whom you knew to use all parts of the animal?
      I still wouldn't do it myself but I would feel more content knowing if other people are using them that was the situation. I'm still pro-faux. :)
      I won't lie - I've owned leather shoes and suede. Although to be honest I didn't know what they were when I bought them. /dumb. I try to avoid those products and I simply wont buy fur. If I see a photoshoot and all I can focus on is that the dolls wearing the skin of some poor creature then I will quietly back out and find something else to look at. My wish in life is for animals used in these industries to be treated more humanely but I honestly don't demand or expect others to stop eating meat or using those products just because I feel that way. I certainly feel stronger about the use of products like that for fashion when we have great faux products but again - I'm not going to freak out on a person over it.

I also would like to point out that where I'm from we're known for exporting beef and my city has a huge rodeo party every year. My dad was a farm kid and thus isn't bothered by that stuff at all. My moms not against it but she's a big animal lover. I'm kind of the weirdy of my family this way.

7. Would you be insulted or shocked to see a doll wearing clothes made from animal byproduct (furs and leathers and such)?
      No I would not be shocked. Lots of clothes are made from wool and such. I might raise an eyebrow and wonder why you'd have your doll in expensive furs and not yourself. ;D I used to wear leather ALL the time when I rode horses.

I think so. Again it's because these animals are common and the price of their byproducts are usually less expensive than mink.

I really don't think that they sell very good fur and leather at these places. I'd rather go elsewhere for animal based material.

YES. It's all about quality. Working with cheap material is good for practice. I also prefer to support fair trade and farmers directly rather than through a distributor. I'm a city girl but many of my friends are country living folk. :)
      I'm not TERRIBLY picky if they use the whole animal for other things or not. The carcass goes back to the earth. I would like to know if the animal was raised humanely though. Healthy coats come from good care.
      I don't see myself in the market for fur for my doll, maybe leather for my centaur, but usually good fur is out of my price range.

8. Would you be insulted or shocked to see a doll wearing clothes made from animal byproduct (furs and leathers and such)? Naaw. It's fie to me, just that i think we should use all of an animal rather then just like... an ear, or something. (I know, that sounds weird...)
      Does it make a difference if the byproducts came from animals we eat (cows, rabbits, pigs, sheep, etc.)? Well, I don't know. I think that if we did use leather and fur from these animals, it would conserve a lot of life... (I'm not a hippy.)
      Would it make a difference if you bought the leather/fur from a crafts store (like Hobby Lobby or Michael's)? No, not really.
      Would it make a difference if you bought the byproduct straight from the distributor, whom you knew to use all parts of the animal? I don't see why I would.
      Or is it all the same to you? Well, yeah, it is. The thing is, I wouldn't buy leather and/or fur to make something with, as I would be afraid of messing up.

9. Leather, no problem. Fur, problem. Yes I have specific reasons.

10. Would you be insulted or shocked to see a doll wearing clothes made from animal byproduct (furs and leathers and such)?

I wouldn't be insulted or shocked. I'm in the "as long as the fur/leather is being appreciated and used I'm OK" camp. I own a coat with a fur-lined hood. I used that thing almost constantly last winter. It's hard for me to hold a grudge when the fur is keeping me warm while I'm shoveling 5 feet of snow.

Nope!

Yes, I'd feel better knowing the entire animal was used. But do we have any proof that craft stores don't do that?

11. Would you be insulted or shocked to see a doll wearing clothes made from animal byproduct (furs and leathers and such)?
      not particularly. especially if it was craft fur or made from pieces of a whole pelt. if the entire thing was sacrified simply to make clothing for a doll i would find that a bit distateful. i have a whole bag of mink fur remnants i plan to make little accessories with, and i have a small collection of fur pelts myself so it doesnt bother me, as long as they are treated with respect.
      not a bit. in fact i would even find that preferable. the animal and its pelt are both being put ot use.
      i only buy my fur from sources that are origin assured or in cases where i can determine its exact origin. i would never buy fur from a big corporate "box store" though i dont think they sell real fur to begin with. (i could be wrong)

of course it would make a difference. when given the option i will buy from someone i know to use all parts of the animal before anyone else, regardless of price. honestly as a person who collects and trades pelts i am extremely picky as to where they come from and even if someone is offering a rediculously low price i wont buy unless i can determine it was taken legaly and humanely. i also have a tendancy to pick up fur and scraps that are on their last leg and about to be disposed of because i simply cant abide it being just throw away, and its purfect for crafts.

12. Would you be insulted or shocked to see a doll wearing clothes made from animal byproduct (furs and leathers and such)?
      Not at all. I eat meat, so I don't see a problem with using other parts of the animal.

I wouldn't buy rabbit, but that's just personal opinion since I like them.

No?

It's pretty much all the same. I think lots of animals raised for fur probably aren't good for eating anyway. Foxes, minks, etc.

13. Would you be insulted or shocked to see a doll wearing clothes made from animal byproduct (furs and leathers and such)?
      No. I am for-fur and think fake fur is hyporitic. I don't think anyone would be insulted or shocked, thats just childish and ignorant.

Hm... though one. I think that it's okay to breed animals just to humans to use it for fur, but I do not want the animals to suffer. I want the minks that will be my fur to be treated respectfully and have a good life. So no, it would not make a diffrence.

I would be happier to buy a fleece of lamb direct from a farmer than from a store because then I now that the animal was treated well. (in Sweden there was a pillowmaking company who picked the birds feather while them still alive.)

As I said I would be happier if I bought the product straight from the producer, then I now where the money goes to and that the animals are happy. Then I don't give a damn what the producer wants to do with the meat.

14. Actually, if you think about it, the use of natural products--not only fur and leather, but cotton and woll fabrics--is less harmful to the environment than the process of making synthetics.

Then again, the dolls themselves are made from special plastic resins, so.

15. Would you be insulted or shocked to see a doll wearing clothes made from animal byproduct (furs and leathers and such)?

No, I wouldn't. I wear leather and fur myself, my whole family does.
      Though I can also relate to people who don't, each his own I say.

No, again. Whether the animal was breed for food or shot for economic reasons doesn't matter to me. It's dead and the best way to honor it is to use everything, meat, fur, feathers, bones ect.

However, it does make a differance if the animal was just bred/shot for it's fur/leather/feathers. It doesn't bother me if these come as a byproduct but to kill an animal just for it is unnecessary in our modern society.

Yeah, because I don't know how they where acquired (as in "bred for fur"?) I'd never buy stuff like that there.

Yes, that's a big difference. If I have to buy something special like sheepskin or wild boar meat I only trust our local distributor. Seeing that my family breeds rabbits for food and fur and we try to use everything of the animals, I appreciate that he also does. So I have no qualms buying from him, especially since he'll probably even tell me who bought other parts of the animal. "Go visit ... they're having it for dinner today", he sure is the talkative kind.

a

16. Doll clothes with fur and leather do not bother me, although I don't buy fur products for myself, mainly because I live in a place where it's rarely cold enough to wear them and I think they are a silly status symbol. I don't like the idea of killing wild animals to make expensive status symbol clothing to appease the vanity of some people. That being said, I inherited a mink jacket from my mother and I occasionally wear it if I am outside for a prolonged period in very cold weather, as it is extremely warm. I also have no objection to using salvaged fur in making garments for dolls. I have several mink scraps from collars, etc. (also inherited from my mother) that I might use for dolls, as they would be wasted otherwise.

17. I have no problem with either leather or fur - although I prefer it to be from animals we already eat (as in a by-product) as opposed to killing animals JUST for their skin/fur. It's just such a waste.

Although I would never buy newly made fur clothes, I am more than happy to wear my grandmother's fur beret because it was made in the 60's! No use crying over spilt (vintage fur) milk, right?

18. I myself have quite some leather clothes and boots, just because I really like the feel and the quality of it. Warm and durable :) I don't wear fur though, just because it still looks like the animal that was killed.

For my dolls it's different, they don't need warm clothes and don't do lots of things that can make clothes wear after time. So I guess they should be happy with fakes.

If they would get the real thing, I would prefer it to come from animals of which all parts have been used. It's the same for my own clothes, but as with lots of products, it's rather hard to be sure about that.
      It's a shame that so many people let so much stuff go to waste ...

19. Would you be insulted or shocked to see a doll wearing clothes made from animal byproduct (furs and leathers and such)?

I wouldn't be shocked, and insulted doesn't feel like the right word since if anything the animals are the ones being treated as such? I don't go out to seek leather/fur clothing but I have had a scarf made from rabbit fur that my aunt gave me. The feeling of real fur is quite different from synthetic. I guess my point is that, I'm neither shocked by it but I don't encourage it.

I think it's a bit sad that some animals are hunted just for their pelt/fur. It's like if another species hunted us just for our hair or something, it's not necessary for survival. So if they're from animals that are used as produce I guess it's so they're making use of everything.

Though it's not related it also makes me a bit sad seeing how animals that become produce are raised, but that's an entirely different topic in it's own.

No I don't think it matters how well you package something, or where it's being sold. The item in question remains the same.

Would it make a difference if you bought the byproduct straight from the distributor, whom you knew to use all parts of the animal? Or is it all the same to you?
      As mentioned earlier, if the animal is already being killed to become produce, then it makes sense not to waste the rest of it. It just feels a bit more excusable when they're not just killing the animal for the fur. Though one can argue that they're hunting the animal for the fur and still making use of the rest of the parts...
      ----

In short, I certainly won't be the one to judge if I see it on someone's doll, and it's not something that would bother me immediately. However when I think more deeply about it I feel like it's something avoidable.

20. ditto..........