1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

doll jealousy

Oct 24, 2019

1. The doll isn't one of a kind...i.e., lots of other people own it, even if it's limited. Why shouldn't someone she thinks of as a friend be one of those people? I agree with @Teddy - time to quit pouting, think rationally, and put on those big girl pants.

2. On the one hand, I would suggest that your friend find a stepladder and use it to get over herself. But that's easy for me to say because she's not my friend, she's yours.

Something about these dolls can inspire great devotion and commitment and yes, even possessiveness. At the end of the day, no one has the right to tell anyone what doll to buy or not to buy with their own money.

Good luck.

(Edited to stay on topic.)

#22 Emby Quinn, Oct 25, 2019
      Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    3. Moderation Note:

This is an interesting topic, but remember answers should be your general opinion on the topic. We don't have a place for relationship advice directed at a single member. Address the topic but not the OP.

Also, if the dolls being mentioned are made by BJD Gravity - they are banned from the forum and cannot be discussed even in vague reference.

4. I can see both sides of this, but if you're both in love with the same sculpt, neither of you should be able to"claim" it so the other can't enjoy it. Unless you're having a OOAK head sculpted specifically for you, then other people are going to own the same sculpt at some point.

I do understand where she's coming from because I have had people copy me, not just doll stuff, but other stuff in life, and it does get annoying and even sometimes offensive when it feels like you can't have anything special or personal because others will just do the exact same. I also understand when a character is very important to you, you might not want others to have clones of them.

But at the same time, the same sculpt can look extremely different depending on style, faceup, wig, eyes. I've even complimented someone else's doll and asked the sculpt only to find out it was one I already owned! They can be the same sculpt and not look anything alike. As long as you aren't trying to copy everything about your friend's doll plans, I don't really see any harm in owning the same sculpt. And sometimes, even if they do look alike, it can still be fun! A long time ago, I had a friend who wanted the same sculpt I did, so we made identical twins!

Pfft, your Cho looks nothing like mine did, get over it! :XD:

5. I did! And our Volks SD13 's too.:)

6. ^This. I don't know why your friend acts the way she does and neither do you, unless you ask her.

I haven't had to deal with this issue personally, although there was a time in the Dutch community where people were very protective of their dolls. If someone owned a sculpt, no one else was allowed to, because then they'd no longer be unique. Didn't bother me in the slightest. But in your case it's a friend, not some stranger you barely know who feels uncomfortable with the idea of owning the same sculpt and I doubt you want to threaten your friendship. So, talk to her. Figure out why she feels the way she does, because if you know what's bothering her, you can make a more informed decision.

7. I agree with everyone, it is an insecurity on your friends side, but I wouldn't let they discourage you from buying it. You just need to talk to them and explain that even if you both end up with the same doll they'll be different, but either way it's your money and your hobby, you shouldn't have to give into jealously or anything like that, as a friend they should understand and encourage you, you can probably show them owner pictures of dolls and show how each one doesn't look like the next, maybe they'll ease their concern, just try not to fall out with someone over something that's meant to be a fun hobby.

8. Quoting myself from above. We cannot have a General Discussion thread that only gives one person advice about their specific situation.

The topic of having the same doll as a friend and how you feel about it and/or would deal with it is fair game.

If we can't keep it General, this thread will have to be closed.

9. Other people having the same doll as you is a part of this hobby. Personally, I love seeing how other people have styled dolls that are the same sculpt as one I have or am interested in. I don't have any friends who're into BJDs, but if I did, I'd be happy if they wanted to get the same sculpt as one of my dolls. I come up with my own characters, make most of their clothes, and am learning to do my own face-ups. I may take inspiration from other people's dolls, but I don't copy.

I'm currently waiting for a Dollshe Hound, and while there may be more Saints around, they're pretty popular too.