1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Extras: do you have any when selling your doll?

Oct 6, 2011

1. I was reluctantly selling two of my dolls lately. And when I browse the marketplace , I found most dolls are sold naked. But to me, I tend to let things go with my dolls when I let them go. Maybe It's just me getting too sentimental, I always think that those clothes and wigs and eyes I bought for my doll have some kind of ownerships. I really can't see them on my other dolls. If they fit so perfectly on the doll, then they should go with the doll. ( another very.reason is that I'm way too lazy to sell them individually at the market)

So here's my question:

Do you include extras when you sell you dolls ? Or do you think It's just a waste of money ?
      When you buy dolls with extras, what do you do with those extras ?
      Did you ever ask a seller not include the extras when you don't like/need them ?

Lil' update:

Seeing so many people have some sort of characters or set ups for the dolls they are buying, maybe most of the extras included are not really useful for the buyers.

And honestly, I really don't bother to make those extras an option with prices. Well, I'm selling the doll for hundreds, and to me it won't hurt to include something worth tens or twenties (it's just me ^^)

So, I guess it'll be really good for the buyers just to say "split it" when they don't really need those extras.

2. Do you include extras when you sell you dolls ? Or do you think It's just a waste of money?
      I have never actually sold a doll, but I would include extras if I reserved an outfit to be only for that doll. I'd also send extras over if I didn't intend to buy a doll of that size/gender again. If I had a Puki, and decided that Puki's weren't for me, I'd probably send all of my Puki's things with them when I send the doll. I have no need for them, and it would probably make the new owner's life a lot easier to have something to keep them in - even if temporarily.

I really liked how Dollmore sends their dolls in underwear. Even though it's not a full outfit of some kind, it is some type of covering.

When you buy dolls with extras, what do you do with those extras?
      Again, I've never bought from the MP, but I have received free stuff from companies for my dolls. Dollmore sent me a short, brown wig that I didn't like at first. I'm still not enthralled with it, because it changes my doll's look too much - but I have use for it. Her regular wig tends to drag sometimes, and can get in the way; with the short wig, I don't have to worry that her wig is going to come off.

I'm not answering the last question because it's a little too irrelevant to speculate very much; however, if I knew what kind of extras it was coming with - like maybe something terribly out of character for what the doll was going to look like (like a lot of intense goth outfits for a doll that wasn't going to be anywhere close to a goth), then I might ask them to not include extras that were too goth-like before they shipped the doll out.

3. Do you include extras when you sell you dolls ? Or do you think It's just a waste of money ?
      If I have clothing that will only fit the doll I'm selling and I have no plans to get another doll in that size range, I will usually include those with the doll...but not often. It's not because it's a waste of money, but I find that it does have an impact on attracting buyers to your sale. Most people want a doll they can customise and for a price as low as they can find - We're not made of money after all! ;)
      I think that having a large wardrobe for sale with a doll or specific wigs and eyes can put buyers off because a) it bumps up the price and b) they could end up with clothing that isn't right for the character the doll is being bought for and then they have to spend time selling clothing off instead.

My first doll came with a top, skirt, waistcoat and socks and a selection of different wigs which was very helpful - otherwise she'd have been naked and bald while I found what I wanted. I still have those items, but I have a doll in the same size range as my first, so keeping them wasn't a problem. I didn't know my first doll was being sold with extras.

Did you ever say to a buyer don't include the extras when you don't like/need them ?
      I've not had to do this, but I wouldn't feel awkward about asking the seller to split the doll from the extras if I felt that the extras were being used to bump up the price or were clearly things that I didn't want - I wouldn't want to be stuck selling off things that I don't want or need.

4. I have included extras with the two dolls I've sold. I prefer to send them with a pair of eyes and a wig. In the one case that doll was the only one who could wear a few items so they went with him. I didn't particularly up the price to reflect this, so it didn't seem to affect the sale. I don't usually buy dolls off the mp so haven't run into the problem of unwanted extras there, although I was never that happy about Dollmore including gift acrylic eyes. In my last Dollmore order they included a wig that I can actually use a bit, whereas I never use acrylics and can't be bothered to sell something worth that little either.

5. Do you include extras when you sell you dolls ? Or do you think It's just a waste of money ?
      I include extras when I have stuff I don't need anymore that is still in good condition, but I don't feel like going through the hassle of selling separately. I include those things for free to make the sale more interesting, because forcing people to pay for things they may not want may make your doll less interesting to buyers. Sometimes I include extras as a surprise and a few times the buyer was happy to receive them and a few times the buyer never mentioned the extras. You just have to accept that another person may have a different taste and may not have any use of the extras you offer.
      I'm happy to be rid of something that would otherwise have cluttered my home until I manage to sell it (or manage to force myself to get into action and make a sale thread).

If it is something I like, I have plenty of dolls it would fit on. If it's something I don't like or can't use I will throw it away if it's of bad quality or give it away (with a sale for example) if it's of good quality. It may sound rude, but I have so much stuff, I can't hang on to everything I get.

Did you ever say to a buyer don't include the extras when you don't like/need them ?
      I don't buy that many full dolls second hand, but mostly bodies or heads to make hybrids and those often do not come with extras. It has never happened that I entered a sale that mentioned extras I didn't want or need (I've received those as a surprise, though), but if I see a doll comes with things I would have no use for, I would ask the seller if they would mind keeping the extras. I just don't need more stuff I'll never use cluttering my house and I'm terrible at throwing away things that are still good.

6. Thanks for all the comments everyone , I'm really glad to know that you guys will.tell the.buyer if u don't want the extras. I never charge for the extras, I include them just because I found them fit the doll very well, if the buyer don't like it, then I really wouldn't bother sending it.

7. Do you include extras when you sell you dolls ? Or do you think It's just a waste of money ?
      Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. I've included clothing, sometimes whole outfits, shoes, wigs...I hate to say, it depends on my mood at the time sometimes, or on my relationship with the person buying my doll. If I felt like it was a really good sale (the person was super-friendly) I am more likely to throw in something more than just the token free gift. I used to send dolls out with random eyes until I ran out XD

Generally they get incorporated into the communal wardrobe unless they're perfect for a certain doll's character, or I can't use them. Then they get shoved into a corner somewhere never to be seen again...

If someone is charging for those "extras", I have. Unless it's something I really want or need, I only want to pay for the doll, not all the stuff with it.

8. I have included extras, but it's usually just something simple, like acrylic eyes or handmade clothing or maybe an outfit I had had listed on the MP for awhile that hadn't sold. Most of my dolls have sold for less than what I paid, so the outfit is not included to bump up the price, but more to appeal to more people or to possibly help a new owner have a doll with something to wear when they first get them.

If I buy a doll that has extras, it depends on what they are. Usually if they don't work for that specific character, one of my others can use it, since my crew has such diversity in style. If it doesn't work for anybody, I usually sell it or give it to a friend.

I've never told anyone not to include extras, never turn down free stuff! but if i costs extra because of the clothing and it's something I won't use, then I would ask to split it. Also, depends on what the doll and extras are worth. I have seen a Bobobie listed at $300 when it sells brand new for around $150, just because they threw in a wig, pair of shoes and an outfit. Sorry, but that will not make me pay that much extra.

9. Do you include extras when you sell you dolls ? Or do you think It's just a waste of money?
      I do. What I like to do is make them optional, just like the companies do. The base price is in the title, but if you wanted the extras you can have them for the price listed, or if it's free, for free. I think it's good to give the buyer a choice, especially as many (like I do) skip over the sales thread if there's a load of extras we may not want.

When you buy dolls with extras, what do you do with those extras?
      Bear in mind I rarely do, because I'm really finicky about what sort of stuff is included, and even then what I do with them depends on what they are. If its wigs, clothes, eyes, if I like them I will use them, or if I don't have anything else in that size I'll use them. Other than that, I'd probably keep them in the box until I find a use for them, or until I sell the doll and can include them again. For the stuff that just doesn't have any commercial value (eg barbie clothes that don't fit), I tend to throw away. It's just not worth trying to sell them on again.

Did you ever say to a buyer don't include the extras when you don't like/need them?

I never thought of that! :lol: Ok, I lied, I thought of that once, when the doll came with three or four wigs, a bazillion clothes, teddy bears AND a barbie tea set. I admit, it was cute, but neither props were in scale for the doll being sold, and I don't like having to keep or sell something I didn't want in the first place. I kinda assume that if the seller doesn't give the option of splitting in the first place, they won't allow it simply because it does mean more hassle for them to sell off said extras.

10. Do you include extras when you sell you dolls ?
      If those extras are things I could part with and can't be used for another one of my dolls, then yes. Sometimes I like to send candies and little extras to show my appreciation to buyers who have been wonderful during the entire transaction. Why? Because unexpected gifts are pleasant and I love receiving them in return. <3

Use 'em? If they don't suit my new doll or anyone else, I'd probably trade them for things that I do like. If that doesn't work, then my seven year old daughter isn't the type to turn down free things. lol

Did you ever say to a buyer ( seller? ) don't include the extras when you don't like/need them ?
      Usually, the extras I tend to be offered are decreased shipping fees, free eyes, wigs and the occasional free hand made clothing. It's not impolite to turn down things/items you don't want and sometimes the seller can sell the items individually on their own.

11. Do you include extras when you sell you dolls ? Or do you think It's just a waste of money ?
      if I had extras it's because I know the doll has lost a lot of value. with the extra I can higher the price a bit and it makes me feel like I sold the doll at a good price. but I didn't actually. it's all illusion but shhhhh xD

I rarely ever use them.
      I actually rarely ever get extras when I buy dolls, but when I browse the marketplace and see a doll with bunch of extras, most of it never interest me....

I try at least, because I am very cheap and don't want to waste my money on something I don't need.
      even if they are free extra, I just HATE having useless things laying arround. takes place and I don't have a lot of that <.<

12. I've sold dolls completely nude and with extras before. When I sold them with extras it wasn't because I thought that the wigs/eyes/clothes/whatever belonged to the doll, but it was most likely because either those items were in a size that just fitted said doll and none of my other resinites or because let's say a face-up was made to match exactly with a really weird fantasy colored wig, so selling them together would make most sense.

It also happened to me a couple of times that buyers actually requested whether I would sell them the wigs/eyes/clothes I've shown the doll in the pictures of the sales thread with.

Yes, I've also often received dolls with free extras, but I do admit that most of the time I have experienced that these items didn't really fit with the character I had been envisioning for the doll. :sweat There were a few occasions where I would have loved to put those things up on the marketplace immediately, but I have never done that and I am hesitant to do it, because it would seem rude to me. So basically I end up giving those things away for free. We often organize little swaps during our doll meets here and that way these things often end up making other people happy ;).

13. Do you include extras when you sell you dolls ? Or do you think It's just a waste of money ?

I've only ever sold 1 doll. He was a fullset & I wanted to keep his fullset gear for myself, so I kept everything he came with. But I did give him a pair of acrylic eyes, just because I knew that the friend I was selling him to didn't have any eyes in that size.

In this case, it wouldn't have been a waste of money if I'd included them; I would've been able to charge a much higher price if I'd included them. But they weren't truly extras, they were the original doll's fullset gear.

Usually they get used. It depends on the fullset. Sometimes I use all or parts of an outfit on other dolls... other times, I just archive the fullset gear along with the doll's box, because it helps preserve the resale value of a LE.

Did you ever say to a buyer ( seller? ) don't include the extras when you don't like/need them ?

Nowadays, many companies allow you to choose which fullset items you do/don't want included in your purchase-- for example, hair & eyes yes, armor no, shoes yes, accessories no, spare head no. Most of the time I go for the full package in a fullset, because I like the concept, and/or because I can use the item(s) later. It's rare that I click No.

I've never bought a secondhand doll with which the seller includes all kinds of "extras". But I see that happening a lot lately-- people trying to foist off all their un-sellable fur wigs & plastic eyes & ill-fitting clothes on you, because they know they won't be able to sell those items on their own. If I were buying a secondhand doll that came with undesired extras, I would politely decline them (and ask that the price be adjusted accordingly).

But if I liked the extras that were being included, I'd happily welcome them into my home.

14. I always tend to add something extra to the things i sell. And usually something good. I never realised anyone could see it as hoisting off unwanted junk. I'm going to think twice before ever doing this again.

15. Do you include extras when you sell you dolls ? Or do you think It's just a waste of money ?

I usually throw in something. I've stopped selling dolls with advertised extras after reciving some rather insulting offers (they basically asked if I would take out the free extras, half the price on an already very discounted doll, and throw in free shipping, I said my price was firm as well :x).
      If I don't have any other dolls that will fit the clothing I'll include that, but I always do it as a surprise now. I never send anything I wouldn't want to get myself. I love it when I get surprises with my dolls, I assume other people do to :)

I keep them. Even if none of my current dolls will use them, chances are someone down the line will. The last doll I bought came with a very cute keychain stuffed elephant, I cut off the keychain and have worked the toy elephant into her story, I like that she has some memento of her last home.

Did you ever ask a seller not include the extras when you don't like/need them ?

I haven't had that situation yet. I did buy a head that was supposed to come with a free faceup, but since I didn't know what I wanted for the doll yet, and I like doing them myself, I said not to worry about it.

I'll admit it, surprise extras have become one of my favorite things about this hobby.

16. Do you include extras when you sell you dolls ? Or do you think It's just a waste of money ?

The only extras I have ever included were random pairs of cheaper eyes I had that I'll sometimes throw in a doll so it has eyes for pictures and for when it arrives. I do not add these into the price of my sales because honestly, they're cheap eyes. They are not worth it.

I have very specific ideas about how my dolls look. I am also really picky. I usually sell any extras I receive or give them away, depending on what they are and how nice they are.

If it seems like they are affecting the price or are things I really don't want, yes, I will ask that they not include them and if necessary adjust the price.

17. Do you include extras when you sell you dolls ? Or do you think It's just a waste of money ?
      I usually include a pair of eyes, a wig, and a set of clothes. Sometimes a pair of shoes, but usually not. I like to do this just so that the doll will have at least something when they arrive. I understand these dolls are expensive, and sometimes finding clothes/wigs/eyes that fit, especially when buying a new size, can really add up cost-wise for a new owner. I also try to make sure that the extras are still nice & not junk..

Sometimes I keep them, sometimes I sell them.

No, I haven't. :) Most of the dolls I've purchased do not come with extras, so that hasn't been an issue.

18. no of course, the clothes are staying together with the doll, so if i would sell one anytime, i would give her clothes away,also... I'm always thinking about what does the other owner will do with NO clothes? :D

19. I don't like sending former members of my crew out with nothing... so I do tend to include their eyes at the very least, and sometimes other things as well. Their wig, maybe, or one of the near-infinite number of yukata I've made when I have the urge to sew but no serious inspiration.

I've even sent them with pets a few times... Once upon a time I had a horde of "spare" white fluffbeasts my brother sent when he was stationed in Japan. Those were eventually all given away to friends, in swap and newbie packages, or to people who had bought dolls I had for sale.

I should note that any "extras" I send with the doll in no way affect the price. That would be the same rather I included the doll's eyes and such or not. I consider them freebies.

20. Do you include extras when you sell you dolls ? Or do you think It's just a waste of money

I've sold vinyl dolls before, but never a BJD. I am more of a buyer. With the vinyls, they are usually MIB so they come with the clothing they came with. If I were to sell a BJD, though, it would be basic, as in no wig, eyes, etc., unless it was a special LE. If it was a special LE, everything that was included with the LE would be sold together. I wouldn't even do any splits. Adding anything else would be a nice gesture and I might think about doing it if it were someone new to the hobby, but otherwise I would be wasting my own money that I can't really afford to loose. I always have another one around here that can use the extra eyes, wigs, outfits, etc.

Again, unless it is a special LE, I won't buy the extras. If they are included in the price, I will either use them or put them in my ever increasing pile of things I really sell, but never have.

I have never asked a seller to not include the extras. If I see an ad for something I would like, but the price is too high because of all the extras, I will just move on. I feel that the seller included the extras for a reason and since I am only interested in the doll itself, I will just wait for the doll to come up for sale with someone else for a price I can do.

If the seller states that they will include the extras for more money, I will then request the doll without the extras....unless I really do want the extras and then I would pay the additional cost.