1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

First Doll Accident

May 9, 2021

1. It's happened. While removing my doll's faceplate (she's a Dollmore and the front of her face comes off not the back of her head) I somehow dropped her nose first in the table and she has a tiny scratched spot on one of her eyebrows. I know I can fix it with watercolor pencil. It would literally take 2 or 3 tiny strokes, but I'm devastated! I knew that eventually some accident was bound to happen but I had no idea I would be so upset by it. And to make it worse, I feel silly for reacting this way.

And I don't own any watercolor pencils so it's not like I can immediately fix it and forget it. I have to order them on line.

2. Its understandable, when i first joined the hobby i was so paranoid. Now after almost 6 years and bc i can fix stuff myself im less woried. If its a face-up by somebody else i still get upset since its not my work

3. Honestly it's good to get that first accident out of the way early. It makes you a bit more comfortable handling your doll's. Resin isn't as fragile as say porcelain. The longer you're in this hobby, the more likely something is to break or get damaged. And hey this can be your excuse to get into doing your own faceups! If you have to buy some of the supplies anyways~

4. I think we all remember our first dolly accident. My first big one was my doll falling head first out of a tree I was photographing him in. Wind had blown my hair into my eyes so I missed it happening.

More recently, I had finally finished one of my dolls and was admiring how perfect he looked, when he pitched forward bumping into my fingernail and a big fleck of his eyebrow paint flew off. I haven't fixed it though. I don't want to mess him up and I just. got. him. together. so I don't want to get him repainted, even though his artist is local to me. I just photoshop it out of pics and nobody else is the wiser. It's enough for me for now.

I agree, accidents will happen, it is good to get your first one out of the way.

5. Is it the face up that got scratched maybe?
      I hope you can fix it

6. Yeah, I had one too, with my first doll (now gone). Same thing with photographing him, as above. I had him standing on a playground platform and he tipped over, smacked face first into the metal, and fell into the mulch. He had a scratch on the tip of his nose and I felt horrible about it. But they really are quite hardy.

7. I totally feel you :( recently, I had a head done by my favorite artist and she was so beautiful. That is until I got her in the mail and my post office messed her up. I tried fixing her and completely destroyed the whole face up and ended up removing the whole thing. I felt so embarrassed I didn’t tell the artist and had to resend her to another artist I liked. But it just wasn’t the same because that first face up won my heart.

I guess my advice is to not freak out and maybe put the doll away for a while so you don’t get tempted to “fix” it under distress. I did that with a couple of dolls and ended up forgetting where the chips and accidents happened by the time I was ready to see them again :3nodding:

8. I had one of my dolls fall off a shelf onto my tripod, it smashed his eye socket in on the lower lid and the head was unsalvageable. I had to buy him a new head, and I never felt the same about him after that. I hope you manage to fix your doll. I know it's hard when stuff like this happens.

9. Yes, it's just a tiny scratch on an eyebrow, but she is ia limited full set and I hate making even that tiny repair.

Oh no! Such a horrible thing to happen. I totally understand not wanting to tell the faceup artist.

#9 Rubytinker, May 9, 2021
      Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2021
    10. Oh no! It's totally understandable to be upset over an accident like that. I mean, yes, it's true that these things are bound to happen, but it still sucks!

11. It's not silly to be upset, the first damage is always the worst because we handle the dolls so carefully, and we can really be hard on ourselves out of guilt or feeling we did something wrong. In reality, stuff happens, and often it's beyond your control.

My first incident was my second doll got "injured" because I left him standing on a tile floor while I went to grab my first doll and told my husband to watch the second one. He fell face first onto my husband's shoe before he could catch him, and he chipped his nose. I held him and cried so hard, apologizing over and over and just feeling like I ruined something so special. Then within a week or two, my first doll fell on carpet from a standing position, and gouged his eyebrow. It bothered me, and I still can't figure out how that scratched him, but since I'd already dealt with the emotions of damaging a doll, I just kind of shrugged it off and let him have a scar.

12. Don't feel silly for feeling that way - How you react is how you react, and life's too short for beaing yourself up for a natural emotional reaction. Allow yourself the reaction.

Teddy

13. I remember being devastated about my first (and so far only!) doll accident with my 4th doll, too, it's totally normal because these things cost a lot. I had a doll that I believe hated me from the bottom of her resin heart. I could not bond with her and I tried to sell her for months, but nobody was interested even though I dropped my asking price a lot from the company price and she was practically new. Once I took her out for some pics to update the sales post, and she took a nose dive right to my phone. It wasn't just the faceup that got harmed, her nose got a visible nick to the resin, too.

I was devastated and sold her for less than 1/3 of the original price stating about the nick on the nose. She sold right away, which was good because I couldn't bear having her around any longer. Since the incident happened at my home, the story had a happy ending: my home insurance company compensated me for the full value of the doll after I showed them pictures of the damages and receipts. I used that money on some other doll I was probably happier with.

I never cared much about the faceups/body blushing, since I do them myself and they're fixable. I have damaged a few noses while doing kiss photoshoots. I don't really mind as long as the resin is not harmed. But if I managed to damage the resin again on some doll, I bet I would feel just as bad as last time. I do my everything to keep my dolls in pristine condition, and then they thank me like that!

14. My first accident involved one of my dolls and one of my friend's. I had a 75cm boy sitting next to her 26cm girl. When I picked up my boy, his foot kicked out and smacked the little girl in the head. She fell over and got a chip on her nose. I was absolutely mortified, but thankfully my friend knew it was an accident and wasn't angry. The ironic thing is the character I shelled in my boy is a psychopath so it was entirely in character for him to be a complete jerk.

15. I have a tiny frosted opaque Aki by Akhmel. She is strung with the most delicate of elastic. One day I was posing her and for some reason her elastic broke! She fell into a pile of disjointed little pieces. I almost passed out. The holes in her long thin limbs were like needle holes. There was no way my 65 year old sausage fingers could restring her. I finally contacted her creator, Nadia Zhubreva in Russia (I am in the US) who graciously offered to restring her FREE! I paid shipping there and back and now my Aki is whole again. What a wonderful thing for the artist to do!

16. I had my first doll accident today and I'm mildly upset about it. I changed one of the hands on my Myou Michelle, and while the hand pose is super cute, the hook from the hand I removed took out a chunk of her resin. Luckily, it's on the inside of her arm so it isn't visible but it still makes me sad knowing it's damaged.