1. Become a DoA Archivist!
    Volunteers Needed!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Mod team regrets to inform the community that Mirodoll is now banned from Den of Angels. Please view the following thread:
    Mirodoll Banned from DoA
    Dismiss Notice

For Large doll family owners - Do you mix clothing styles?

Jun 8, 2007

1. I am going through a hard time settling on clothing styles since my 60cm (apprx) family has enlarged. I like modern futuristic clothing but also I love a romantic soft look not quite lolita but in that direction. However as they are all in the same room I am starting to wonder if they will look too different and not as enjoyable as a group if they have different clothing styles.

Right now my two younger hypermaniacs are dressed in the young cute soft lolita. But I have three others who are more mature nude and wondering whats up!

I can see myself having to sell off clothing because I made the wrong selection! so in an effort to stop that happening I want to hear from others who have at least 5 SD sized dolls OR MORE who have thoughts on this.

Have you experienced this issue?
      Is your family looking disjointed?
      or maybe too in harmony and too similar and unexciting due to matching styles?
      Or feeling you haven't stretched your imagination?

2. Hi TreelLore
      I have most of my little gang in either medieval/Gothic/period type clothing. The story-lines that I have for them and where they have come from is from basically a faery land type. So lots of long faery type dresses and Elf/bard outfits. But because they are in this time period with me, I have kinda let them wear some more 18th century modern clothes. Does that make sense? My main girl, has way too many medieval like dress, but to have her in them all of the time is a pain. I've just recently gotten her this outfit, so she can still have that gothicness to her, but more comfortable. My main guy, has this outfit that he wears most of the time, but now he's in this outfit and it goes more with his character/background. But I have no problem putting him back in the dark brown suit when needed.

I try and mix the two/three styles so that it all meshes well. For me though, they will never wear jeans, tennis shoes, have a cell phone, gameboy, etc. They will stay with either faery type of stuff or 18th/19th century Gothic. My main girl has a phone in her room, but it's the old style rotary type, that you'd have to put to your ear and talk into the wall. My only ones that have anything resembling this time period is my Baha Cat, but he's a cat so it's not a big deal. :) And my new Pepe girl, because she is in this time period more, and not a fantasy type.
      I hope that makes sense.

3. Thats all very interesting Meguone!

Ohh I like both of your boys clothing. My boy is a SD size boy and it makes getting clothing that fits much harder! where did you buy your guys outfits?

4. His brown, Lestat looking outfit was from Iplehouse, and the bard outfit is from Buff and her period clothing that she makes. It's so cool looking and really fits his character. He also has a black Volks limited suit, but I haven't had time to put him in it yet.

5. Mmm....well...*hems haws*...my boys are primarily clad in stovepipe jeans, skeleton keys strung on ribbon and wings....

Makes it easy with ten Dollshe guys hanging about the place.

;)

6. I plan to have 7 or 9 dolls and I have a different clothing style for each.

decorer
      punk
      death rock
      tomboy
      casual punk/oshare kei
      oshare kei
      visual/oshare kei

I think they'd look fabulous together because of their different styles.

7. Actually that occured to me for my boys as I have no idea how to dress boys... being on the small size and not fitting most SD13 clothes. So I had the idea of a shirt one of thoes deconstructed victorian ones and wings and tight pants ;)

Where to find a soft flowing shirt of great quality?

Edible: off to look up some of thoes styles! my unoa have some of that decorer down!

8. I have 6 SD's, and they all have different assigned styles. One is punk looking: wears black and chains and boots. Two wear normal clothes: jeans and t-shirts. My girl wears trendy earthtoned outfits. Another wears something inbetween: Haven't really found his true style yet, ehehe! And my last wears kimonos and asian inspired outfits.

Sometimes I do feel that they clash and don't look good together. And then other times, I love the variety, and love to take pictures of them together showing off that variety! When I get tired of seeing them clashing, I just dress them in similar themed stuff for a while, just for fun!

Like recently I got tired of them wearing all mixmatched stuff, so I dressed them all in black and white outfits! They looked great together, even Oto, who wears the asian outfits. I put him in a white jacket with black turtleneck and black pants. But the jacket had an asian style, so it worked for him! :love I love taking a theme(like "Black and white") and having each of them show their own take on the theme using their different styles!

...Other times I'll leave all the boys shirtless for a while! :sweat Whatever strikes my fancy at the time. ;)

I love being able to take them out of character, and then put them right back into character with the change of an outfit!

9. Each of my dolls have their own personal style, and I love that! They don't look mis-matched or anything like that, just very individual. I guess that could be an eyesore to some, but to me it seems more realistic.

Sera~

10. I got some who wear stuff a normal guy you see on the street would wear, and some more asian styled...which right now is limited seriously. One wears rock star type outfits...it varies but they're all a "family."

11. My guys are all pretty modern casual when it comes to their styles. Gabriel may have a few more bright colors thrown in the mix with a few cute accessories speckled through. Earnest takes the casual punk route and usually wears just jeans, t-shirts, and hoodies. As for Gren, he's definitely the one who I find hard to dress for the mere fact that his style is so simplistic -- pants and neutral colored shirts

Overall, their styles mesh together very nicely considering they all have that modern casual base. ;)

12. I try to keep my dolls dressed to match their given personas. Most of it is everyday wear from a cross-section of modern urban people. (Grey wears more period costumey looking clothing but it's more an odd affectation on his part.) The only unifying element is that they all own a lot of black clothing (just like me) but they all wear it in different ways. Really basic pieces of clothing get shared amongst dolls, but I always make sure to give several pieces of clothing to just one doll so that they stay unique.

13. I have five SDs, I used to have a couple more with distinct styles, but I couldn't afford to keep them all clothed so I sold them in order to spoil the five I liked best. They all have a bit of leeway, but my current dolls' main styles:

White F-15 SD13 boy: Foofy prince clothing in pastel and neutral colors and other formal, yet youthful, clothing

Old BW F-27 SD13 boy: Semi-punky, over-the-top, trashy club wear (sometimes cross-dresses)

Kohya: Slightly effeminate Chinese fusion and futuristic styled outfits

Cyndy SD10 boy: Mainly black with some white elegant gothic lolita and elegant gothic aristocrat (only cross-dresses)

Old BW F-04 SD10 girl: Tomboyish clothing mainly in whites, beiges, and other neutral and nature colors

With them as they are, almost all wear and look good in white, so separates or pieces of outfits are shared here sometimes. Shoes can be shared with the three biggest boys, though I usually try to get new shoes for each outfit now.

14. I must admit, I do get a little stressed if my girls don't all coordinate nicely...but lately I have relaxed a little. :) I have 6 SD sized girls, and yes, I do like them to look somewhat cohesive-- color scheme at least, if not design/period. But it gets a little exhausting. Since I sew, I can make them nearly anything I wish, but of course time (and fabric!) are limiting factors.

Since the 'backstory' of my girls is a sort of fantasy (girls from different eras/places who have been kidnapped by changeling faeries-- they are lost in a faerie realm and have limited contact with the 'real' world) it gives me free rein to dress them pretty much however I like. :) Sometimes they're all in medieval velvet flowy gowns; right now they're all in cute little flirty skirts and knit tops or corsets (except my Ciel, who refuses to take off her lovely chiffon Empire waist gown...)

15. Ohhh, I'd love to see all of them in the black/white mix. That' would be great. :)

Like recently I got tired of them wearing all mixmatched stuff, so I dressed them all in black and white outfits! They looked great together, even Oto, who wears the asian outfits. I put him in a white jacket with black turtleneck and black pants. But the jacket had an asian style, so it worked for him! :love I love taking a theme(like "Black and white") and having each of them show their own take on the theme using their different styles!

...Other times I'll leave all the boys shirtless for a while! :sweat Whatever strikes my fancy at the time. ;)

I love being able to take them out of character, and then put them right back into character with the change of an outfit![/quote]

16. I have a strange and wonderful mix. Nothing *really* matches except that we do seem to get a lot of red and black going on... It's ok though. They let me know if it's not right. :)

17. Mine vary. Often the members of the little "sets" within the two main casts will be dressed to match each other... All of the Godbeasts, for example, or Sannru & Company... though *how* they're dressed could be anything from black leather to period costumes to traditonal Asian to modern casual.

I also have a few outside the main casts who have very consistant and distinct styles of their own. D wears his Asian outfits exclusively, Amber is always in 18th century dandy mode, Will stays in a suit, Alex is in Victorian steam-punk. They don't vary much style-wise, though other member of the crew have been known to "borrow" thier outfits from time to time. ^_^

I like the variation. It's fun once in awhile to put everyone into the same style (or color-) outfits en masse, but I think it's visually more interesting to have several matching groups tht are distinct from each other rather than a single, across-the-board "look".

18. My dolls are all in pairings or groupings of some sort. No real rhyme or reason, just what looks good to me. I try to have each group match in clothing style or "feel", be it Lolita, fluffy/frilly, fantasy or gothic. I don't have any that wear current/contemporary clothing at the moment. There seems to be a whole lot of black, white and pink going on though. I wish I could find more girl clothes that I like that are not in either black or pink.

19. I think the way I dress myself are reflected onto how I dress my dolls as well. I get bored of looking the same all the time so it's always changing. To achive that, I mix and match A LOT when it comes to their style. It makes it all the more fun too I think. Of course sometimes some style work better than others so the wrong styles are later dismissed. ^^

I prefer for them to sort of compliment each other when together though....and yet I don't want them to look too much like each other either.

20. My gang mixes up styles most of the time. While the guys are usually in black or black & white, the girls wear everything from modern street clothes to fantasy garb. I do tend to keep groups of clothing styles together & sometimes do a theme for the entire gang. Right now all the girls are in white dresses & gowns for spring but that's about to change as they get dressed for summer. I just like doll clothes & can't decide on a single style. I'd probably get bored if I did anyway.