Growing up with BJD's (kids and BJD's)

Jul 17, 2016

1. I've had BJD's since before I had kids, and downsized my collection to just one (Volks SD13 F01) after my firstborn. I'm now slowly getting back to the hobby, and have a new doll on the way. My now 8-year-old daughter has always been fascinated by my doll and is an extremely careful and reliable girl, so I've recently let her handle the doll by herself under my watchful eye. She says she's saving her own money to buy a BJD, even though I've said it's going to be at least another 4-5 years, even longer, before she gets a (small) one.

I would love to hear if/how you've included your kids in the hobby, or have you perhaps grown up surrounded by BJD's yourself?

My daughter doing a photoshoot today
      [​IMG]

2. I didn't grow up with bjds but my mom and aunts all love dolls so so I grew up with dolls from all different countries that's probably why I love bjds so much
      I don't have any kids of my own but I do plan on at least buying some for them if I ever do have kids maybe something on the cheap side. I would love for them to be part of the Bjd world
      I think it's great that you let your daughter get involved.Hehe maybe you can surprise her and gift her own Bjd for her birthday or Christmas or something

3. I didn't grow up with bjds either, but my mom did make porcelaine dolls (casting, painting, sewing clothes +++) so dolls in general were definitely part of my childhood. I now have a nine year old daughter and she loves my bjds. She is very careful, so I let her handle them, and I gifted her a pukifee for her birthday. I think that doll must be one of the most beloved pukifees out there, and I also believe my daughter is proud to be trusted to take care of something of such high quality. It's nice to be able to share the hobby with her, even though she is young, and I hope bjds will be something we have in common for a long time.

4. I totally love the idea of my future kids to be surrounded by beautiful things, art and music when they grow up. I'd want to enable them to be creative and free. So having dolls around, dioramas, fabric and all the pretty things is definitely something my kids (if I were to have any) would grow up with.
      @Maria Super cool to see that your daughter is already engaging in the BJD hobby like a pro :thumbup

5. I've only been in the hobby for a short time, and while I don't have children, I have my nephew who is over at least every other weekend and in the summer lives with me every other week. At first I hid my doll and wouldn't have her out at all. He's five going on six and while he treats his toys well, I don't trust him near my doll. However, one week I forgot to put my doll away and he ended up seeing her. He asked me questions and when I explained about her he seemed to understand this is a thing he does not touch. Since that day I haven't put her away and he for the most part acts like she doesn't exist. (I watch him around her carefully though, but he leaves her shelf alone.)

I have tried to include him in my playtime with my doll though. Like this outfit, that he chose each part for her to wear. IJTET822 : Photo

6. I've been in the hobby 7 years and my son is two years old. I'm definitely at the point where I'm going to downsize.. There is a lot less time for solo activities compared to pre-baby. I let him poke at some of the tinies sometimes under supervision. I expect to be a lot less active in the hobby for a while.

7. I'm child-free, personally, but I do have a much-younger cousin (and there are people I went to high school with who have similarly-sized kiddos to him). He's generally pretty respectful of other people's things-- if it's something he thinks is interesting, he'll ask and he might get a hand on it before asking, in a gentle 'can I pick this up?' way, something that happened when he was over to "help" unpack at our new house.

When it came to my sister's doll collection, he was very interested in having her open the cool-looking doll boxes, and very interested in her doll stands, of all things, but then pretty immediately ready to move onto things that were more fun, once the dolls themselves were out. So I think my dolls will probably be safe from tiny hands. At least until any even smaller future nieces or nephews, I guess.

(His mom collects miniatures, unrelated to dolls, so he is used to tiny things, some of which are delicate and not to be really played with)

8. We have a 4 year old daughter in the house, and she's actually been trusted to pick up and bring the dolls to us on occasion. She is surprisingly gentle, even with the smaller sizes. I even let her cuddle my Frankie one evening while I told bedtime stories to her, and Frankie came out of it perfectly fine. The only things I personally stress is for her to wash her hands before handling them and to refrain from touching their faces.

I think there is such a thing as being too careful with our kids. If our kids are so nervous around the dolls and afraid we'll snap at them if they so much as touch the dolls' clothing, then they might grow up developing an unhealthy attitude toward them. I've noticed the more I chastise her for touching Zenith, the more prone she is to grabbing him and cuddling him when my back is turned. If I let her do so under my supervision, she normally doesn't act out as much or grab him without permission. Quite obviously our daughter is still too young to own a BJD herself, and I wouldn't entrust anything over $40 to her because I know it will break eventually, but we hope that as she gets used to our ever-growing family of dolls that she will find herself used to them enough to want one of her own down the road.

9. My kids grew up with my BJD (and doll) collection and they are teenagers now. I've selectively let them handle all of my dolls over the years and they have been raised by a doll collector - look with your eyes, you always ask before you touch, and your hands are always clean. I've since bought them their own dolls. I recommended companies based on aesthetics they like. They chose the clothes, shoes, and wigs. Everyone is happy to have something they can claim is theirs in the doll room.

10. My son was 3 when I got my first BJD but I had porcelain and playline dolls before that. He was also fascinated and very gentle with them, so I gave him one of my OT dolls for his very own, a Hujoo. He adored it; dressed it, photographed it, brushed it's hair, and played with it in the miniature dollhouse I built. He's grown out of it since then, but I think it's a great middle ground for younger kids who want their own BJD but aren't really ready for one yet.

11. When I have children, they will probably get to play with my old (my new ones now will be very old then!) beloved original dolls, the first ones I got and couldn't let go of. If they wanted to of course. Or I'd start them off with cheap, smaller dolls. I think it's great that a child would want to save up for their own instead of just demanding one!

12. My boys are 3 and 5 and they are madly in love with dollie play time. The 3 yr old is quite the director of photos..."she needs the coffee cup, his hair is in his eyes," etc. The 5 yr old is director of aesthetics and has very definite ideas about styling. "She would never wear that dress...it's just not her...and don't braid her hair, she likes it soft." (My husband is not always amused)

It's great to play together and watch their imagination and creative growth. Being able to have their input and play time takes some of the mystique away from the dolls whereas if they were completely off limits they would be irresistible for them. They are always very careful and gentle...and I make sure that my dolls are back in their case long before the Light Saber battles begin....they are boys after all

13. My two year old is fascinated by my BJD and Blythes. They get kisses and they always must have wigs or shoes or he hunts them down to put them back on. I did downsize a lot after having him. I have two BJD left (a volks YoSD and a pukipuki). So far he's extremely careful with any of our toys. My husband collects transformers so the baby is always being reminded, look, don't touch, or touch gently.

14. I don't have kids or many dolls yet, but I like the thought of them being passed through the generations.

15. I started with BJDs when my son was 3. I watched him very carefully around them, had taken him to a couple of doll meet-ups, and by the time he was four I got him a very small, non-BJD "practice" doll. He was so careful with her that I took a chance and got him his own MSD for his fifth birthday. (I was that age when I got my first porcelain play doll from my grandma, and she's still in fine shape, so yes, there are careful small children!) Ken (a Volks MSD Ken, he liked the name too much to change it!) is still in marvelous shape after 9 years. My son now has four dolls, and is at the age of working and saving toward his next one.

It's been a delight to watch him over the years be inspired by his dolls--he's learned to sew, make props, write stories, take photos, and treat them as special sort of "forever friends" that don't move away or become rude because they think they've outgrown cartoons or Pokemon or Legos, which has happened a lot at this stage in his life. He has made some solid friendships through this hobby, and that is a pleasure to watch too.

16. I've been around BJD's since I was about 3. I got my first BJD on my 5th birthday. I've had him close to 10 years.

17. My son was eight years old when I got the doll. Now this doll is as old as once he was. In all that time he never touched her. And always worried that I didn't break it. I recently changed the rubber band and notice how the son, watching me through the slightly open door. Called him and asked him to help me assemble the doll. It was very touching.

18. My boy Sam just turned six and is very respectful of my dolls. This may be due to living in a household of collectables (thousands of comics, action figures, Breyer horses, and a few motley dolls) as well as artwork and "dangerous" tools which are off limits. He knows to ask before he touches, and so far so good! This might of course change as he ages, as I fear he has inherited his father's rebellious nature.
      Sadly, I don't have a ton of time for my dolls right now beyond admiring them, as Sam and my studio practice come first. However, Sam helps me name new doll arrivals, and we are planning to modify a Yukinojo/mirodoll hybrid into one of his favorite video game characters this year. Mommy/son project:).

19. My daughter was 2 years when I got my first BJD. I always was adamant that she has not to touch them, and kept him away in a cabinet. Today she is allowed carrying them, touching them, but not to play with my dolls.

She wants one of her own, but I think it is too early. Right now, she has some kind of substitute doll made of vinyl. If she keeps her interest, she may get one in 2-3 years.

20. My nephew loves my dollfie dreams! I always make him wash his hands and I change them to cheap clothes and wigs before I let him touch them, but he's always been enchanted. He's interested in my resin boy too, but since resin is less durable than vinyl when it comes to falls and whatnot I don't let him play with him. Besides, my resin boy is as tall as he is since he's only 3!