1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How long do you keep clothes on your BJDs?

May 2, 2011

1. Hello!

I'm curious. My boy, Roka has been wearing nothing but boxers for some time now due to my fear of his clothes staining him. It doesn't seem fair to keep him in only his underwear, though, particularly since he's a businessman and it kind of takes away from his dignity. XD

So my question to you guys is: How long do you keep clothes on your BJDs; particularly dark clothes?

~ When you store them or just have them sit around for long periods of time, do you keep them in just their underwear, or a full outfit?
      ~ Do you make sure their outfits are light?
      ~ To what degree do you worry about clothes staining your dolls?
      ~ Do all dark clothes stain, no matter the material?
      ~ How long would one estimate a dark piece of clothing have to be on a doll before staining of the resin is apperant?

Roka is begging me to give him his usual white dress shirt and black dress pants, socks, and shoes, but I'm deathly afraid of keeping them on him for any length of time. Any advice...?

2. Heh. Shaial's been wearing the same black pants for... close to a year, I think. They don't stain. Surprise has only changed clothes once since I got him. Kel's still wearing those dark blue jeans from months ago.

I've only had one article of clothing cause stains, and that took only a matter of days to do so. But the rest of my dolly wardrobe has never caused an issue, regardless of how long someone wears it.

3. I always wash clothes when I first get them - this generally gets rid of any possibility of dye bleeding. I change my boys' clothes occasionally, but they are always fully dressed when they are sitting around. If there is any staining, I just wash it with some liquid soap and water and it usually comes off no problem. :)

4. ~ When you store them or just have them sit around for long periods of time, do you keep them in just their underwear, or a full outfit?

Right now, Vince is stored fully-dressed.

Yeah-- when he's going to be wearing something long-term, it is always lighter-coloured pieces.

I wouldn't say I don't worry about it at all, since obviously I am very conscious of how light or dark all his clothes are. If I have him in something dark for an event or photoshoot, I just change him back into his lighter stuff before putting him away, though, so I guess I don't worry about it too much.

I don't know which materials are more or less likely to stain, just that pre-washing fabrics or pieces makes them less likely to stain. (I use dye magnets!)

~ How long would one estimate a dark piece of clothing have to be on a doll before staining of the resin is apparent?

Don't know, sorry! I've never left dark clothes on him long enough to find out.

=^__^
      Anneko

5. I've seen full body stockings on sale that can be put onto the dolls before they wear clothes. This should prevent staining. In your case, Tymiko, maybe you can try making/getting a pair of white tights for Roka before putting on his black pants. Then you can probably leave him in his dignified clothes. ;)

Personally, I'm not too concerned about staining, partly because my dolls tend to wear lighter colours, and partly because I believe most stains can be removed with a suitable solvent and some elbow grease. :)

6. I think I'm going to win here: I bought my first bjd in March 2006, and his default outfit came with a pair of black shorts (school uniform kind of thing). He was wearing them until three days ago, and he's stain-free! The shorts were plain black cotton, I didn't wash them (didn't know I should), and the doll doesn't even have any black fuzz or lint in his... er, cracks.

To be honest, I didn't even know clothes (or wigs, for that matter) could stain, until a year ago... now, I keep my dolls naked in storage, but don't worry if they wear their darker clothes and sit around for a few days. All their clothes are plain cotton, so that might have something to do with lack of staining.

Oh, edit: I've started making them "sleep in the nude" to prolong the clothes-- it's easier to keep the cat fur off the clothes when the clothes are zipped in baggies, and I'm pretty lazy when it comes to ironing the "sit creases" at the thighs/knees.

7. How long do you keep clothes on your BJDs; particularly dark clothes?
      It depends on the doll. My SDs lately have never kept an outfit on for more than a few days or a week at most; my minis I change less often.

~ When you store them or just have them sit around for long periods of time, do you keep them in just their underwear, or a full outfit?
      Usually a full outfit, though sometimes they "sleep" in their underwear to prevent staining.

Not usually. I try to make sure if I have to leave them for a long period of time (going out of town, etc.) their outfits are light, but otherwise I don't worry since I change them so often.

I worry about it a lot, actually, though I act all nonchalant here, lol. I hand-wash every article of dyed clothing for my dolls in scalding hot water, multiple times, until no more dye leaks out, then rinse thoroughly and hang dry, just to be sure it doesn't stain. To my credit, this has great results, and as a result I can leave jean skirts on my SD13 girl, or dark colored shirts on my 65cm boy, without worrying if they'll stain them at all. ..however, it's really rough on my hands. xD;

Ehh, not all of them, no. I wash all of them just to be on the safe side, but I'm quite sure that, say, if I hadn't bothered to wash out the slacks I got my boy from Tata's Paradise, they wouldn't have stained him anyway. I've learned through experience that some clothing leaks very little dye, while some leaks a great deal and would almost definitely stain. The difference usually lies in the fabrics-- the stretch cotton/nylons that Dollmore uses in their tights and leggings, as well as any kind of denim, for instance, will always run a risk of staining, while lighter fabrics like the Tata's slacks are seriously unlikely to.

~ How long would one estimate a dark piece of clothing have to be on a doll before staining of the resin is apparent?
      I've seen it happen after as little as a couple of hours before, but that was a piece of clothing with a ton of excess dye (it took eleven scalding-hot washes to get it to stop leaking dye! D: ). Most things I've seen take about a day, but there's no hard-and-fast rule, and usually staining isn't noticed right away, so it'd really be impossible to tell. I'd say if it hasn't stained after a day or two, it probably won't unless something happens (it gets wet, etc.).

8. My lot are always dressed, and most of them wear dark pants. I've found jeans quite likely to at least leave blue fuzz, if not stains. I don't think I've had any of their black pants stain as of yet. Not all dark clothes do stain. But any staining that's happening has easily come off with a magic eraser sponge, so I really don't worry about it much. I change their clothes somewhat frequently just because I get bored easily.

9. You are doing the right thing. There's nothing wrong with being careful..If you really want your doll to have some clothes on, just make sure that it's light colored and made of cotton

10. When you store them or just have them sit around for long periods of time, do you keep them in just their underwear, or a full outfit?
      I keep her in everything. She'll sit around with the same thing on for weeks before I get in the mood to change things around.

This was actually the case when I bought my doll's first outfit. I didn't want to worry about staining, so I went for a light dress, and light shoes. Now, I have some deeper colors that don't stain, except a pair of jeans that do it very lightly.

On a scale of 1 to 10... 3, maybe? I mean, there is some concern that, if in them for enough time, certain things that I didn't think would stain her will. I do worry a little about her jeans, because they stain her knees and ankles a little.

Her jeans stain probably for the same reason our jeans stain. But she has a pair of multicolored tights that, in theory, should do something, but I haven't noticed it.

It depends on a number of factors, so no item is the same. But I'd say within 24hrs the earliest (or even shorter), and a week being the latest. I think after a week, if it hasn't done anything at all, then you're probably fine.

11. I keep my girl dressed up all the time. However, her body is sealed and all her clothes are light-colored. The nice thing about the body being sealed is even if the sealant does get stained, I can just wipe it off and spray down that resin piece again.:D Though I can't say I've noticed any staining yet, and she's been dressed up for at least four months.

12. All my dolls have at least one white outfit to wear if I leave them out of their box for long term display. I don't take chances with colored clothes for any prolonged period of time that goes for wigs too. My first one is four years old and is still in pristine condition. Better safe than sorry. You can have staining in a few hours depending on the fabric and the dyes. Just because it doesn't bleed when you wash it does not mean that it won't stain your doll. The dye from the fabric can seep out into the resin even if it's colorfast fabric, it's a kind of chemical reaction.l

13. My dolls are always dressed (unless I'm in the process of changing them, and that can take me a couple days because I rarely have time in one day to sit and change them all) and my boy nearly always wears dark pants and a dark top but they don't stain him so I don't worry. :)

14. ~ When you store them or just have them sit around for long periods of time, do you keep them in just their underwear, or a full outfit?
      Our dolls are almost always dressed. Except for Robyn, but he's a bit of a nudist. >_>;

Nope. Light clothes are pretty rare in our house, actually- several of our dolls have mostly-black wardrobes.

Not at all. I've never had a clothing stain that wouldn't come off with a Mr. Clean sponge. Wig stains are a little trickier, but that doesn't keep me from leaving black wigs on 24/7. Haven't figured out how to totally get wig stains off yet, but they're hidden under the wigs anyway.

No. Some are much more likely than others. We don't wash our doll clothes at all; I've only had one or two outfits stain.

~ How long would one estimate a dark piece of clothing have to be on a doll before staining of the resin is apperant?
      Looool. We have one skirt that will stain within an hour of being worn. Sometimes it takes a bit longer, couple days maybe...and even that often requires handling. Rubbing of joints against dark denim (for example) is likely to cause staining.

15. My dolls are nearly always dressed, in both light and dark clothes. For something like twenty outfits on ten dolls for two or three years, I have only ever had a single stain. That was a pair of boots, and the stain came off with light sanding. Since then, I've made sure that the dolls all wear socks, but otherwise haven't taken any real precaution against staining.

I think you're worrying too much! :)

16. I dont really change doll clothes much at all, if anything, maybe once every maybe 6 months when i think of how bad i would feel wearing the same thing morning noon and night for 6 months straight. But thats only if i feel like it ;) hehehe

I dont worry too much about staining, maybe its denial or whatever but hey, i cant see the stain under the clothes so its fine for now, worry about consequences later XD

17. My dolls are dressed in their clothes all the time and I change their clothes pretty often. They dont go naked or in their undies or anything because I washed ALL of their clothes/pants/wig/etc before I put them on them. So I'm not really paranoid about them staining my dolls. If they do stain, I can just wipe the stains/marks off with a magic eraser.

18. I'm bad. I leave them dressed all the time! Also it iz a lot work getting their clothes on and off! I have only had staining trouble a couple times and I think if I wash the pieces it'll be fine. I worry more about dark wigs and won't even but them for my dolls anymore!

19. None of my dolls are ever really stored away. I just keep my room dark and cool for them. I change their clothes every few weeks or every few months depending. If jeans leave a little blue around their knees Magic Eraser has no problem cleaning it off. I've made Mitchy new undies since the ones he came in from Elfdoll did stain, but even then it was easy to clean. Since starting to make most of their clothing, I test fabrics before sewing and can make a lining for dark pieces even if they tested safe. Overall, I take a few precautions but don't get too paranoid about it.

20. I couldn't care less whether clothes stain my dolls, because stains are easy to remove. Three of my dolls wear the same clothes constantly, and two of them are in Dollheart clothes so ornate and taking them off is such a pain that in order to see their bodies I have to look at company photos :D
      Another of my dolls wears very skimpy clothes that are easy to change, and another wears very few clothes because that's what his character is like.