1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How many floating heads do you have? (2019/2020)

Jan 18, 2019

?

How many floating heads do you have?

Poll closed Dec 29, 2020.
  1. 0

16.2%
  2. 1-5

64.4%
  3. 6-10

12.4%
  4. 11-15

2.5%
  5. 16-20

1.3%
  6. Over 20

3.2%
    1. I’ve always admired those who collect multiple heads. It strikes me as a great way to save space, and living in a small home I can really see the benefit of that. HOWEVER...I just can’t do it! Oh, I’ve tried...early on in my collecting I experimented with that approach and it was an unmitigated disaster! I found that it caused me immense stress continuously worrying about bodies. So I sold them, and have done my best to collect only full dolls from then on. But of course, sometimes I’ve come across a limited or rare head I truly need, and when that happens I will buy it...but then order a body for it immediately! That’s where I am now, with one floating head (a limited from 2013) and a body already on order.

2. 8-10 heads floating just bought 3 more so almost got 11-15 heads now .The bodies I want for them cost so much >< and I get there heads first to make sure I will still be able to have that scuplt. >. <;;

3. Welp, its official. I have seven floaters, not including the "Shared Body Boys." Those two heads will more than likely share a body forever.:kitty2

Ryu

4. Half of my dolls do not have their own body. :doh
      It's always more exciting to buy new sculpts(head) than just body since they can always share.

5. I currently have only 1 floating head- and I'm having such a hard time finding a body that will match this head...nothing seems to work colour-wise >< For now I have hidden away this poor head. Floating heads really can be so frustrating sometimes :sigh

6. I have 10 :doh and I have 5 more on their way... Some of them were gifts, others at a good price during an event. The DC discontinuation forced me to buy two more I've always loved and did't want to get vexed with myself at missing the opportunity.

7. Well, only a couple of weeks have gone by since my last response, and things have tipped on their head! First off, the MSD body I ordered for my Kid Delf floating head is now on hold because the dealer doesn’t want to risk actually ordering it until the pandemic settles down and they hear back from Luts (totally understandable.)

*And* wouldn’t you know it, I stumbled across a head in the marketplace that I’d never even seen before...and instantly recognized a character I’d been trying to shell for a decade! I’m not the type to seek out heads, I strongly prefer full dolls. But I guess “never say never”. He’s a rare PicotPrince Makoto and I just had to snatch him up on the spot! So now I have a second floating head on my hands with another body to find.:doh This is driving me crazy.

#167 PoeticSoul, Apr 10, 2020
      Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    8. And now this happens...I kid you not! I just finished paying off my big Luts order from their winter event, and when the package arrived, there were two Senior Delf gift heads in there, complete with CoAs!:? At first I thought, oh geez, even more floating heads! (Because I stress out so much about their not having bodies.) So of course my initial thought was that I’d immediately put them both up for sale in the marketplace.) But then I had an epiphany and thought, hey, they’d make great hat stands for my larger girl’s special hat collection (yes, even my dolls collect...):sweat So my husband and I put our heads together and designed special stands for them to go on, which worked out great. And then of course I thought they’d look even better with a wig, so I started working on wigs for both of them. And then I thought they both needed face-ups! And of course they each needed a name...did I mention floating heads really drive me crazy?:doh They have even developed characters now as millinery assistants! So I guess I’ll be keeping them both as floating heads forever...so the joke’s on me!

#168 PoeticSoul, May 4, 2020
      Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    9. I currently have 15, which is hilarious, because when I started collecting I always said I’d never have any. I was up to 30 or so at one point, but sold around half of them during a financial bind back in February. I do have a bunch bodies in order, though, and it’s my goal to get it back down to 0 eventually. One good thing, though, is that they’re all Minifee heads, so they can just share bodies for now.

10. I currently have one floating head ( that I cant find lol) but I might get more. Ive been eyeing the studio naiko heads for a while. I hope I can find one second hand or the release a new one soon

11. you can change your vote or just vote till 29 Dec 2020.
      :)

12. I must have around 60 or 70 floating heads by now. I should count them.

Before that sounds crazy, as aforementioned, four of my dolls are custom orders and 10 was the minimum order. For some, there’s more than 10 due to colour options. I never wanted to sell any - they’re personal projects. So a good 50 of those floating heads are duplicates of those four.

I also often buy a ‘spare’ when I get a sculpt of a beloved character because if one was damaged I’d be gutted if it was discontinued & this way I know I have a spare. So many of my dolls have two heads. Some were heads that came with bodies, when I hybridded.

In terms of floating heads that I want bodies for, there’s probably only two right now. My character, Jasira - Impldoll Alma, and Thor to go with Loki (whispering grass). I have also sold a few other floating heads now, so that’s clearing it a bit, but the customs will likely never be sold.

13. Currently two. A DF-A practice head (dunno what I'll do with it), as well as a Minifee Tika head. I already know what body Tika will be used for, I'm just waiting for it to get here haha. I hate having floating heads, so I typically always have a body planned out... buuut I forgot I ordered the practice head and now I don't know what to do with it. It looks like an SD sized but I could be wrong.

14. Currently at 19, and while a few are duplicates, they're all meant to be their own characters, so no body sharing. Buying heads is often cheaper then buying full dolls, and some companies at the time didn't even offer bodies for sale, so I'd often just get heads, and would tell myself I'd buy a body later. But, I'm really picky with bodies, and unfortunately as the years go on body sculpts have moved from one extreme to the other. When I first got into the hobby male body sculpts were often thin or soft looking with little to no body detailing like muscles. And, then doll artist improved, and we started getting male bodies with detailed muscles, and such, which was great. But, now we've kind of moved to the opposite spectrum where almost all 65cm+ male BJD's look like they do nothing but intense sports and bodybuilding. I love muscular bodies, but I don't want all of my dolls to look like they play American football, or rugby.

15. After all these years, I still only have one proper floating head, the event head that I got with my very first doll. But, Party Martian's got extra heads. They're all HIM so I don't really think of them as floating heads in the same way, but whether I count them or not I'm still under 5.

16. Right now I don't have any floating heads, but I'll have some soon. :(

17. I have four, technically, but one is a second head to another doll (so they share a body since they're the same "character"), one is likely just passing through, and the other two are getting bodies as soon as I've finished saving up. Of course, I have plans to buy another head soon, and I haven't decided which body I want for it, sooooo that won't last LOL

18. I finally got my floating heads bodies, only to now actively be planning to purchase 2 more head hahaha

19. Just one that I won in a contest before I had even bought my first doll, and honestly I don't have the slightest clue what to do with it. I don't think at the time I even knew size it was! One day he'll get a body....

20. Only 1 floating head! A Luts Juri05 which I hope to have a body for by the end of 2020!