1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think about Hybrids?

Nov 19, 2008

1. I don't see anything wrong with having a hybrid doll. It makes sense to make one if you wanted a certain face sculpt but a different body.

2. My girl is soon to be an hybrid and I chose it that way because I love the MNF body and for make her a perfect doll, it does not matter if it is a mix between companies.

3. I love hybrid dolls! Sometimes a head looks so much better on a different body. The only drawback is resin matching and yellowing, but it makes the search/research that more fun!

4. I like a lot hybrids, actually my only doll of the moment is a hybrid (weird choice of doll for a newbie in the hobby, I know). I think is a understandable choice for the ones who look for the perfect doll for them.

5. Unethical? hogwash!

6. I'm curious as to whether you can (or if someone has been able to) hybrid a dollfie dream/ anime type-head doll with the body of a minifee (or even feeple65)? I don't *think* there are any anime heads that are as small as would fit a minifee, but I think it'd be stunning if anyone has (why don't they release anime girls in smaller 1/4 sizes? >_< Usually the body-head proportions are larger making it difficult to create a cross between these... :( any thoughts?

7. Okay, old thread is old... But just because I was searching for a specific thread I came across this one.

I'll be noting the first message in 2008 where they said that Dollmore dislikes Dollmore heads being used in other bodies - MUHAHAHHAA!! Here I am, 2013 and my Dollmore Kid Sona head is on Leekeworld Art Body >: 3 I'm loving it and it came a hell of a lot more expensive than just settling with Dollmore kid body.

Because, y'know, both dolls were bought completes. No one will buy the remaining Dollmore Kid body from me (so it just sits in a box) and Leekeworld Ashley head- well the head has its own fans, I just am not one of them : D

So buying this doll cost me two dolls x'D Not cheap at all!!! (even 'tho they were secondhands...) + I really doesn't see why companies would dislike this either o_O I mean, they got the money in order and the hobbyist is happy?

8. I own a hybrid, and he is the greatest thing I have ever invested in. It wasn't because of the cost...it was because of the customization! I was able to pick the perfect body, the perfect hands, the perfect head for my dream doll. And I love him to pieces~ :aheartbea

9. I don't find it to be a big deal, I own a hybrid myself and never heard any complains. I think its fun to combine parts and make something different that others might not have~ unique! haha :D

10. I personally think hybrid is totally okay. I mean it's your choice of purchase and creativity. If you want your MSD to look mature, since most MSD I found look like a body of a child and carrying an SD sometimes is a hassle. (I just find them that way). I I would prefer MSD sized dolls and I'm very picky about the heads since I'm aiming for limited ones only. Looking for a matured body type would be also my thing.

11. I do a lot of work on my dolls until they're just right. Hair, eyes, clothes, faceups, and yes - bodies. I'm going to buy what I like, and tweak it how I like, because its my money I'm spending and my happiness that I'm concerned with. I'm not spending this much cash on something I'm not going to be 100% satisfied with and that's really what it comes down to for me.

12. A very old thread indeed! But I'm posting because I'd love to see more about hybrids, I don't think there's enough out there! They are the heart of the BJD hobby, to be able to fully customize a doll to your preference!

13. I hate hybrids. I mean hate. People call recasting "stealing from artists" that means the dolls are "art", right? So, would you cut the head off a Canova and glue it onto an Artemision? Slash the Mona Lisa for the smile to put on the Girl with the Pearl Earring.....It's either art or it's not...I hate looking for a limited doll only to see it parted out. There were 50, but someone took one down, passed it around, and now there is only 49 for "collector" types who were looking for that one specific doll.....

14. @necropteluate Considering dolls don't need to be literally hacked apart to switch parts around, and that the parts themselves, from heads to hands to feet and horns are available separately from many companies, your example is ridiculous. The closest match would be cutting a nose off a doll to attach it to another, and I don't think anyone has ever done that.

Anyway, my own view on hybrids is that if a body and a head are available separately, have at it. DIM head on a DC body? Great. IOS head on a Dollshe body? Alrighty. Ringdoll head on a DZ body? Knock yourself out. The only thing I wouldn't do is break up a 100% limited doll (the only example I can think of would be a Soom LE fantasy doll or something). Though in that case, I wouldn't buy it unless I wanted the entire set - and I'm not personally on the market for fantasy dolls anyway (but never say never). Limited head though? Fine, stick it on anything, it's just a head. Why else would companies sell their bodies and heads separately? Customization is the heart of this hobby, and it's laughable to tell someone what to do with their things anyway.

15. No more ridiculous to think that an art piece has to be limited to such a narrow definition. There are plenty of multi-part installation pieces that could be mix and matched, but then you would be destroying multiple pieces not just one. The mechanics of bjds are as much a part of the art as the sculpting.....

If dolls were meant to be mixed and matched, you wouldnt have to cut and alter bodies to make them fit.....you wouldn't have to worry about resin color or size differences. They would all be an industrial standsrd like barbies or monster high dolls at Walmart.

16. No more ridiculous to think that an art piece has to be limited to such a narrow definition. There are plenty of multi-part installation pieces that could be mix and matched, but then you would be destroying multiple pieces not just one. The mechanics of bjds are as much a part of the art as the sculpting.....

If dolls were meant to be mixed and matched, you wouldnt have to cut and alter bodies to make them fit.....you wouldn't have to worry about resin color or size differences. They would all be an industrial standsrd like barbies or monster high dolls at Walmart.

17. I have no problem with hybrids. Other peoples combinations have inspired my own creations and spending. I think that can only be a good thing.

18. Where is all this "cutting apart dolls" taking place? I don't know about anyone else, but when I remove s-hooks they come apart just fine on their own, no cutting involved. Have I been doing it wrong all this time? *gets out hack-saw*

Hybrids are exciting for me, they keep the hobby engaging and fresh. Finding parts that match is like a game, and gives reasons to chat with people here on the D of A. Plus, there are a lot of different ways to sculpt a doll and I don't care for all of them. Joints are not all created equal. Neither are styles. I'm not paying multiple hundreds of dollars for something that doesn't work the way I want it too, or doesn't have the exact look I want....unless I can get it with a little blushing, which is a small price (like no price) to pay for a doll to be the way I'd like it to be.

Companies generally do not re-sculpt a body for every head they make, and they don't always match up. I am more picky about proportion than I am ANYTHING else in this hobby, and a lot of times, full dolls don't have it. At least, not the it I want.

#538 VampireAngel13, Aug 15, 2016
      Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    19. I am fine with people making hybrids, if the parts fit go for it, if not mod it and go for it. (I am also fine with modding dolls, but that's another topic.) I myself have all of two hybrids and both were cases of this doll has two heads, if I got an extra body from somewhere that's twice the dolls.
      My Soom Ingram's human head and body is one doll and her cat head is on a miro doll body in matching black resin. So I get a nice human woman and a 100% prefect Bast doll out of that.
      My Iplehouse YID Chris the addiction doll, I got to be a vampire, he came with a wonderful human head. I paid a ton for that doll and got both heads with face ups, only for his human head to set in a box in a draw never used as it had no body, and IH doesn't normally sell bodies alone. So when miro made their new 66 boy, I got human Chris, one and now have two lovely handsome boys. (And technically Kyle (the vampire) was also hybrided before, as I got him jointed hands from doll legend so he could have vampire claws/long nails and be able to hold stuff.)

There was no hacking apart, no killing art on a whim, there was only I am so very sad these poor human heads set unused and in boxes. Now that I have bodies for them, I take photos of them, I play with them, and my dollies get the love they deserve.

20. I can be very face and body particular which is one reason I found myself drawn to the bjds as for versatility. I know i have come close to buying the red ghost girl head even though she is a 1/3 bjd and with a child's face at that. there is something beautifully haunting about her expression and face. I can just see me with a head in a case forever trying to find a body for her but then it would be my choice.