1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think about Hybrids?

Nov 19, 2008

1. I wouldn't know why Hybrids would be deemed unacceptable and unethical? They're dolls, and if you wished to switch the bodies and heads around, it's your choice. Especially if you're the owner. Personally, I just want Hybrids' skin tones to match each other and their sizes to be proportional, but that's just my preference. Some other people pay attention to that. Some don't.

2. I'm totally up for hybriding :) I don't have one myself, but as I like a particular style aesthetically, and I crave posability, I feel that if one company can't provide both, then why not support 2 artists?

3. I've done it myself, so yeah I think hybriding can be a good thing! It made the MSD I wanted since before I started this hobby possible (and kinda got me into the hobby in the first place), by buying the head sculpt I wanted and putting it on a cheaper body that the resin matches. And sure enough, that was a good call because now the head sculpt is being discontinued, so if I had waited too much longer I would have really been out of luck!

4. I would really take the time to do research. I'm not sure you know how the hybrid doll concept works. If it isn't something you are intoxicated anyway, why post such negativity here?

5. I personally have hybrid dolls. At first I bought an Angel of Dream body for my CP SS EL head but since the resin didn't match I had to go on a shopping spree to find the fitting body secondhand. I thought it was smart to save costs but in the end it was more expensive as I was too naive.

I have a CP Yder heady on a Fantasy Doll body. Originally I purchased him as a full doll but some years ago I thought I had lost interest in the hobby and sold the body. Since then I found that I regretted selling the body but it was pretty much impossible to find a new body for the old CP Yder head. That made me have no other choice than to go for a hybrid solution. I am quite happy with this hybrid, although I still sometimes knock myself on the head about selling the body back then.

I have a Ninodoll IZ head which is on a SDF body. The resin match is pretty good and I had no other option than to buy any body which had the same skintone.

I also have two event heads, both of which have been given SDF bodies. I don't know if this is called hybrid since they are from the same company but neither of them could be purchased as full dolls.

I personally don't mind hybrid dolls, I think they can be as fine as dolls that have been purchased as full dolls, but personally I still prefer to purchase full dolls rather than hybrids. not because i look down on hybrids or think that there is something wrong with it, however it usually becomes very stressful to find the perfect resin match and I don't have the skill to blush a face to the same colour

6. I just can't understand why some people hate hybrid dolls and attack people who collect/have them. I really don't mind about this.

I always prefer to buy a complete doll, but I've already planned to have some hybrid dolls before because I don't like bodies of some companies (like dollmore, I hate their bodies). It happens a lot that I like some head of a company but hate their body and want this especific head in another body that I like more (like luts). So why not make a hybrid doll? l don't want to have a doll with some part that I don't like.

7. Wow this seems kind of crazy to me. What right does anyone have to tell you how to spend your money. As long as the parts are legal nobody has a say in whatever you put together.

8. I have a mess of hybrids. Some were unintentional, like my Dollmore head on a DZ body--perfect fit, by the way, both color and size to the point you'd think they came together, so I don't know where this perception of cutting and hacking is coming from--some were very intentional--older Leeke SD heads are absurdly oversized on the Leeke bodies to the point of being ridiculous, nor am I a fan of the Leeke body aesthetic or posing. Then there are the hybrids from "sister" companies--the resin is the same, the sculptor is the same, the only difference is "this line is called this, and this line is called that." I have older heads where the original bodies are impossible to get. I plan on hybridizing those too.

Plenty of companies sell *JUST* the heads. Some sell *ONLY* heads. What are we to do, have boxes of bodiless heads because there is no company body available??

Hybrids have ALWAYS been a part of this hobby, for the 11+ years I've been in. Getting upset or "offended" by hybridization is not defending the original artist, but deriding the ingenuity and creativity of fellow doll enthusiasts.

TL;DR: It's your doll, if hybridizing it is the way that you enjoy it best, then please, by all means do so.

9. I've got one hybrid, and I made him a hybrid to -- EGADS -- save some money. As it turned out, the body was a perfect resin match and a much better proportion -- to my eye -- than the one he would have originally come with. (Bizarrely enough, it's precisely the same hybrid as @Nico Robin has up there -- a Yder head on a Fantasy Doll body. Hot damn.) There's not a damn thing wrong with hybrids. Slap your doll together however you want. It's your doll; it's your money. It's your call as to what to do with it, and I think the whole concept that dolls were never meant to be split apart is bullpucky. You make your doll into your vision. If that involves a hybrid, then go for it!

10. Honestly this thread is the only time I have EVER seen any animosity toward making hybrid dolls. I've been in the hobby since 2009 in two states and been often to several big cons and lots of meetups.
      So no, it's not a Thing, it's one person's feelings, out an entire hobby based around customization.

11. THIS.
      Honestly, every time this thread resurfaces, I'm amazed that it still exists to keep stoking unnecessary angst and hard feelings.

12. I love hybrids and I think most BJD companies don't care as long as you're buying from them instead of buying recasts. Some companies don't offer heads and bodies separately (looking at you Iplehouse) but I think that's more down to production than it is a dislike for hybrids.

This hobby is about customization and nothing celebrates that more than a really well done hybrid! Most people love to make their dolls their own, or have a very specific image of the character they're shelling, or want a body that doesn't pose like absolute garbage (looking at you soom!), and hybriding is the way to do it!

I, myself, have two hybrids:
      a migidoll vampire miho head on a spiritdoll elegance body - because migidoll bodies are unattractive but that head was everything and spiritdoll elegance body is perfect in every respect except for its wobbly ankles and terrible elbows (but I didn't know about those when I bought it or I would've gone for a luts delf body).
      And a Soom Wolf head on a DC old 70 cm body, which I got second hand and was ten thousand kinds of excite to find because it combines a head that I adore with a body that I always wanted to own since I joined the hobby, and the resin match is absolutely perfect.

Do what you want as long as you're not hurting anyone, I say.

13. Hybriding is a good way to find your perfect doll. I have heads that never looked quite right on their own bodies. When I put them on another company's body, they settled in with a happy sigh and looked better than the original.

Agreed with @Rosslyn and @Cynthia in FlintHills , this thread is the only place I've seen anti-hybrid animosity. I'm not sure where the perception comes from that it's widespread in the hobby. If I had to guess, I'd say that half of BJD owners have hybrids instead of full dolls.

14. It does come up occasionally in other threads... the most recent one I can think of is the now-locked "What if someone bought a recast?" thread.

Thankfully "hybrid haters" aren't a *common* issue, but it really isn't just confined to this one ancient thread alone.

15. @Alewife and @Brightfires, the anti-hybrid position really did stem from just one person in that other thread, though, didn't it? And iirc, that person misrepresented *this* thread as being evidence of widespread rabid anti-hybrid sentiment, in the course of that discussion.

Here, the OP started the thread from the idea that maybe something is "wrong" about hybrids -- based on an even older thread about "elitism" in the BJD hobby. While clearly the overwhelming consensus is in the opposite direction, the original post and the periodic resurrection of this thread still foster that misconception.

I'll cling to my stuffy old-lady view that this thread doesn't do anyone any service by now, if it ever did. Which is why it's a damn good thing I'm not a Mod, because I would argue for locking and deleting it with extreme prejudice.

16. It never seems to be more than one person per thread... But it's always different people.

Like I said, it's not a wide-spread thing, but it is out there. Like a lot of the other issues that people fret and wring their hands over in this hobby, it's really not common enough to be worth worrying about, but getting rid of one thread's not going to make it go away as a concern, either.

17. I don't have any hybrids, but I've seen a lot of nice ones. And even if I didn't like them, they're not my doll, not my problem; I'd just move right along.

18. I have something to say! and even a question! Does one think a angel fantasy lina head would look good with a resin soul rong body? i just dislike the breasts on the angel fantasy dolls :c i think hybriding would be a good choice for my first dollie :D

Head: AF Lina Head

Body: RESINSOUL--Rong body

19. I see you've already found the Photo Reference forum, and posted your question -- you'll be much more likely to get an answer there, or else in the Discussion threads for Angel Fantasy and Resinsoul. :thumbup