IMPL dolls Star, Model and Idol Discussion thread 14

Sep 24, 2019

1. Gosh, I wish Impl would at least keep a copy of their doll pictures available to look at :(. But @Azael , she's adorable! Congratulations!!!

2. Thanks everyone! I'll definitely try and get some more pictures!

It's possible it's just my measuring tape is off, I have two and they're quite different for measurements. XD

There's so few photos of Cymie floating around but it's very close! :aeyepop:

3. OMJ! Blast from the past!! I haven't seen those dolls in AGES! Cymie i don't think I ever saw an owner's pic of, very rare. Nice work, @Arekushia! She is super cute and has a face that could either be made quite realistic or more interpretive. Wow. I bet those molds are long gone now and not viable. Yeah, that page is from 2009? How they have changed!

4. @Azael She's so adorable! Another person on team older Impl haha! I look forward to seeing her dressed and wigged!

I make so many characters that I've decided I'm not allowed to shell them all. There is one story I'm allowed 3 of the main characters (none are shelled yet), and another where I'm only allowed to do the baddies. Then there is my self contained story that didn't exist before the dolls but they're my bargin bin dolls that I couldn't pass up because of the price! So they all live together and do their thing. Other than that, I'm trying to keep the rest of my characters in check, though I know I'll eventually overspend and start shelling indiscriminately. And there's a few that don't fit anything but I want them really bad. I need to stop rationalizing this behavior. :sigh

5. *LOLOLOL* boy, this sounds familiar! All of it! The struggle is real!!

6. Here are some old pictures I had:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. It really is crazy to see! Works for defunct companies too, I have too much time on my hands.

8. @Arekushia Oh my goodness! Yup that's her alright! Those ears! XD Thank you! <3

9. Happy to help :) Congrats on your girl!

10. Oh yah, that looks like her! :dance. Looking forward to pictures of her complete @Azael :)

11. Love seeing the old stuff! Wonderful!

12. You guys have no idea how great it is that this thread is so active! But then I can't keep up because y'all be chatting and I can't respond to everything!

I'm kinda glad they're not doing the fashion line right away (and they better put new heads on them...if I find I have a couple of giant Idols around when I could get them in miniature...I'll be pissed)

@AntarelNefertili Damn I love that couple. Those shots are steamy and do a good job selling the new body. Posing! Important!

@Azael Super jealous. I love the old sculpts, I think they'd be fantastic for a skilled FU artist since they're so unique.

Whoever shared the website with all those gorgeous dollies has given me doll envy by proxy! They're all so pretty and more importantly, so f-ing well styled. I HATE trying to find accessories for my bigguns. Right now only worrying abut three makes it easier.

-

I made myself a rule (which I break regularly because chaotic evil wev) and that is to only shell characters I either RPed because they meant something to me, or shell characters from stories who really really meant something emotional. No shelling whole casts, that'd be unfair to my wallet. And if I get a doll that doesn't have a character, they better get one quick or I flip them. (Had to do that to a soulkid. He's financing my new Tony). If I'm keeping myself honest, all my MSDs are the AU child versions of my planned adult characters, which makes it a bit easier to keep a handle on who belongs in what size...but not helping me decide who gets shelled next.

13. Wahahaha, I only publicly revealed those rope bondage shots several days ago because the photoshoot as a whole was too steamy for public consumption. I picked only the safest ones to show (the rest are only available by request from the local BJD community), or I may get banned on several platforms in one fell swoop. :sweat

I really envy those who have the means and capacity to makes such detailed photoshoots! Even though all of my current crew sans one have their characters used (or will be used) in tabletop RPGs, I have a better time drawing them (like this piece I posted on IG) as they ought to appear rather than style them as they ought to look (like this recent take). Finding the right props and accessories is one thing, but where do I find a local setting that could pass off as a beautiful fantasy landscape? :(

Oh boy, the "shell-only-those-that-have-characters" rule! So far I've managed to break it only once. Although technically, my most recent arrival (a LoongSoul not on-topic for this subforum) is pushing it because he and his twin sister aren't of the same sizes ...at least not yet! I'm sure I can find a good in-betweener body for hybriding her head, and so the cycle begins again. :XD:

EDIT:
      Just so I won't double-post, here's a little dose of cute. The oldest doll in the crew still in the original shell just celebrated his birthday today, and the cat sent her greetings.

[​IMG]
      Lilybomb 01
      by Yela Gatchalian-David, on Flickr

#234 AntarelNefertili, Nov 18, 2019
      Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    14. Well, if you live in Southern California like I do, there are NO fantasy locations unless you like the desert :doh

Seriously though, those are amazing drawings, and you have really captured your characters amazingly well! @AntarelNefertili !!!

Say, does anyone know if imple skin changed a few years ago? If so, in what way please? Thank you :hug:

Also, search this on YouTube:
      " creating a scene for action figure photography "

Because these people make amazing props! We'd have to make it MUCH bigger though :doh. And Fairyland has made some videos of their photography sessions with their elaborate sets

#235 IngieBee, Nov 18, 2019
      Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    15. @AntarelNefertili your drawings are gorgeous. I'm envious of your skill. Shelling only existing characters is my doll purchasing rule. I've still wound up with 63 dolls. It really only prevents me from impulse buying, which going by current numbers, would make my doll situation so much worse than it is.

16. Thank you @IngieBee and @Iron_Dog! It's just recently I managed to break a really bad case of artblock (one that lasted nearly three years). It's unhealthy to keep drawing only for clients and none for yourself. D:

I'm pretty sure there are some settings that would appreciate a good desert! I'm just a run-of-the-mill city girl; pretty much the most scenic I could push for a (relatively) nearby doll setup would be an old Spanish fort that would require me to plod through lots of traffic jams to get to.

I only have resin samples of RS (or at least matched to RS) from 2016 onwards. Is that to your interest? The Guoren/Adhara pic in my previous post shows two variants, but I could post a better comparison if needed. The lighting in the photo doesn't show the difference well enough.

And @nancy_schroeder_ca, I've always been at two minds about those backdrops because it takes a lot of fiddling to not make things look unnatural. Or I dunno, I just expect too much from my photoshoots, haha!

17. Thank you @AntarelNefertili, but I think I will save up and play it safe by getting a body I know will match. In this case, it's just easier and I don't have to scrape up funds, just get it when I 've saved up. Thanks anyways :D

18. I use binder clips to clip them to a firm backing. I have a large piece of poster board that I reinforced with wood strips n the back. Or foam core board should work. Gatorboard is very stiff if you can get it. It is available in large sizes which is nice if you can buy it locally. If you can find someone who does large format printing, I was thinking you could paint your own background!