La Légende de Temps - part 2

Jul 8, 2015

1. You know, as you describe him, he sounds like a captain to me - key player, but not at the top of the ranks! And any cavalry officer whose hobby is ballet - the most graceful, elegant and athletic dance of all - needs a horse to match. His poor, unfortunate stable boy. :XD:

2. Oh no, now I also want to make a dressage outfit for him.

Of course the horse knows how to dance too.

3. That's precisely what I was going to ask. Clearly it's required now. :lol:
      Definitely looking forward to seeing this project journal!

4. Oh wow, you must! And then the horse will need the dressage "do" for its mane! That poor stable boy's life just gets worse and worse. :XD:

5. My shorter dolls are a bit more stylized than both Pygmalion Robin and LLT Neil's faces, but I might dress one of them as the poor put upon stable boy.

I found a rocking horse & carousel horse restoration website that sold 2-inch wide stirrup irons last night. Kind of expensive at $25+$7 shipping, but having a solid piece will look nicer than me sitting around bending flat craft metal. I'm happy there are enough people who want toddler-size rocking horses with real stirrup irons to warrant making these. Kiddy stirrup irons for kids who can safely ride a live horse/pony are a bit bigger since you should not let a toddler ride a live horse...

I was looking at this page (Attractive, Distinctive, One Size: The Military Uniform in the Late 18th Century) and I think gonna use this Captain of 5th Hussar regiment as my reference for the military outfit.... though I also like the brigade general light cavalry outfit. The cape. But brigade general is kinda high ranked. .....Parzival is a German name but I keep ending up looking at French stuff.... I'm just gonna say I'm running Hodge-Podge Fantasy World...

I'm gonna need so much cord... so much buttons... Also I have never made a nice hat before. I gotta make a nice hat...

Granted, I have also never made a 1/2 scale horse with all the tack either. This doll is turning into a big project doll. All my other dolls the most complicated thing I do is mens formalwear which isn't hard-hard so much as it needs to be sewn in a really exacting manner. My dad says a very well tailored suit needs to fit a guy so exactly that he will need to buy a new suit if he gains weight.

6. Bleh, been sick, but I have to say I have enjoyed reading all of the ideas for the ballerino dolls so much! :chocoheart

@zekarmisama
      My wife is in love with your Parzival. She was very happy to hear that the horse can also dance. :celebrate
      I ADORE those military uniforms you linked and yes, the cape! :nosebleed

As for myself...I don't have an idea that I purchased my Neil for. I just fell hopelessly in love with the body sculpt as soon as teasers started appearing, and I'd been eyeing Neil from a distance since his release. I just have a hard time with very muscular, heavy bodies (and even then I was tempted because it was quite gorgeous!), so I was SO excited to see this graceful body offered with Neil. :chocoheart

That said...while I was lying in bed staring at the ceiling these last days I had a few ideas. Not sure if they will stick as I tend to have TOO MANY ideas for every doll, hehe...but here they are so far:

I have a Nabarro Kalan head and the idea occurred to me that I should pair him with my Neil. I was planning to make him into a sort of candy/confections/sweets themed prince (like a sugarplum prince a la the Nutcracker), buuut he seems determined to be some kind of wizard? So I think I give up and he will be a sort of mischievous wizard and my Neil would be an etherial sort of magical counterpart to him. Something like Prospero and Ariel. I am half tempted to make Neil swan themed (all in white and pale pearl colors) and have my Kalan be Baron von Rothbart, as in Swan Lake (getting that ballet theme in there). My idea is that they would look lovely in contrasting colors, Neil all in pale colors and Kalan in dark. Of course...I have no idea if they will actually look good together, and my Kalan is still awaiting his body, but I suppose in my head that is the idea I am currently taken with. :lol:

In a bird/swan theme, I was also thinking of the fairytale The 12 Brothers, who were turned into birds and their sister must silently make shirts to return them to their human form. But she runs out of time and the last brother is left with one wing arm. Something between the swan princess and this last brother with his telltale feathered limb is what I'm daydreaming about right now. :)

7. Ooooh a swan/bird theme would be cool!

I was counting buttons on the hussar captain and I apparently need 85 buttons for the dolman.... and then there's a fur lined pelisse on top of that dolman jacket so I need.... 187 buttons.... :horror: How did people keep the military clothed back then. I found a person who made a hussar uniform and documented much of the process on facebook and it's both enlightening and.... daunting...

8. Goodness....that is a lot of buttons! :eek:

9. t sounds absolutely amazing and scary at the same time. I would very much like to see the process and the outcome; it should come out perfectly perfectly. :aeyepop:

10. @zekarmisama - Wow, I doubt I'd ever have the patience to tackle all that detailing. I'm sure it will look great on your guy in the end, though!
      Your project got me thinking again about how it ought to be possible to design a 3D-printed horse (hollow hard plastic, I mean) that's both posable and can bear the weight of a BJD if you used the right kind of joints (like rosette/hirth joint/locking hinges style? The kind you can press a button on the side to adjust, but I'm having trouble finding any diagrams of how that works) and now my brain won't stop trying to design parts for it. Shame I don't know anything about 3D modeling software!

11. Parzival and his horse are gonna have the longest project journal...

Speaking of, I haven't named the horse. I think the horse's official name is something really manly or a really pompous pedigree name but Parzival quietly calls it like Smooshkins or something when he thinks no one is listening.

If I was better at 3-D modelling, I'd give it a shot since I can't be the only person who wants a gigantic poseable horse and 3D printing is a lot easier to do repeatedly and consistently than sewing a plush (currently I have a feeling I will be handsewing a lot of padding on the horse for shape details), but I have a hard time wrapping my head around that sort of thing and get frustrated too fast to put in the time to improve. I haven't gotten any farther than a hilariously lumpy low poly spaceship from a class I took 10 years ago...

The scientists need to finish inventing the "make what I am picturing in my head when I push one button" computer. lol

12. You know, it just occurred to me that he may do well with a really pompous Latin name. Ceasar, Brutus, Septimus, Maximus, Octavius or some such thing. (I'm kind of partial to Brutus, lol...it's such a nice counterpoint to Smooshkins!)

13. I agree with @celga ! I couldn't help but think of Name of the Rose and Brunellus. :lol:

14. Brutus is a nice contrast to the cutesy name. Smooshkins turned into Tramplekins. Light cavalry doesn't do much trampling, but Tramplekins ended up feeling really catchy to me.

15. LOL, I love 'Tramplekins'...cute but terrifying. :XD:

Well learn, darn it. :lol: I would SO buy a scale 3D printed horse for some of my big boys and girls. I would probably add a fuzzy coat, but I am way too lazy to do the whole project from start to finish like @zekarmisama...

16. There might also be a free 3D sculpt of one online that you could scale up to work. I was asking about that for a different project, and I’m told that it’s like increasing the size on any other visual art, where increasing the size can sometimes make it look less detailed than it does at its original smaller size, but you could always sculpt some of that back on after the fact.

I would just of course make sure the designer has made their sculpt useable to the public, and is okay with slight alterations (like scaling it up!)

17. @celga - :lol: Unfortunately, being able to see how the pieces could work doesn't translate into having the patience and skills to (digitally) sculpt an entire horse. Now you've got me looking at horse anatomy drawings, though.

@Chameleon - I was wondering that myself, but if I was going to put in the effort to actually do this, I'd rather it be my own design. Besides, turning a model into a poseable kit would take more alterations than just changing the size...

The funny thing is, I don't really have need for a normal horse myself. What I originally wanted to do was figure out how to create one of the riding beasts from my story world for my dolls. They're... more like scaly half-plant-half-camels. :lol: But I dropped that idea a long time before 3D printing became a viable option. (On the other hand, my steampunk dolls would happily adopt a horse or three, so it's not like I couldn't find a use for them too. Where I would keep them all is another matter.)

18. @Sianserais I wish you hadn't given up on that idea - I would LOVE to see a scaly half-plant-half-camel! My imagination can't even conjure one, so now I'm dying of curiosity! :lol:

I was so bummed to have missed out on the demi-pointe feet that I ordered a pair of Monochrome's high heel boy feet, because they were cheap and I thought they might work - since basically they're they're the same shape. (Nowhere near as pretty or humongous as LLT's usual big ol' feet, but still made for large dolls.) Of course the color probably won't be a perfect match, but no biggie when they're covered with a leotard or...the high heeled boy boots that were sold with them. I just had to buy a pair of those, too, so I guess my guy will have his flamboyant moments. :XD: I know the demi-pointes will be sold again eventually, but these will suffice in the meantime - and yeah, high heels for a ballerino - I need them! Now I have to cross my fingers that everything fits together...

#818 celga, Oct 8, 2019
      Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    19. Sorry for the very late replies!
      Thank you very much!

Thank you!

Thanks!

Now my Roderich has his tattoos and everything, but I haven't take picture of him outside for the moment. So here is a portrait of him (with temporary eyes):

[​IMG]

20. Woot! Probably the last one here to get around to it, but I just made my third layaway payment and OE Roderich SHALL be mine! Eventually...like...in two weeks before forever... XD