1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Minimalism in the BJD hobby?

Mar 24, 2015

1. Not sure how to phrase this but I have a feeling that this hobby is a bottomless pit of gathering more and more dolls and accessories and losing more and more funds. That is not a bad thing as it makes me and many others quite happy but I like to stop and think about it sometimes. Want to help me get all philosophical and the likes over this? Feel free to answer the following questions.

1° Do you bother to look for the doll you want on the secondhand market or do you go straight to the company? Why?

2° Do you immediatly order sleeping faces and extra hands for your doll through the company? If so, do you do this for every doll you purchase?

3° If you have dolls with sleeping faces and extra hands: do you actually use them enough to justify the purchase? If not, do you regret getting them? If you don't have the above, do you regret not getting them?

4° Have you ever found yourself looking for extra items to throw in your shopping cart just so you could reach the necessary minimum amount to qualify for an event or free shipping? Do you realize this is a merchandising trick? If so, do you mind being seduced by this?

5° Did the cost of a doll ever stop you from actually purchasing it when you had the necessary amount of money? Have you ever thought, "This doll is too expensive, I'll pass".

6° If for some reason you had to sell your whole collection except for one doll, would you be able to do it? Would you know who to pick? Why choose that one?

7° Do you think you could be happy with just one doll? Why?

8° Do you dislike purchasing popular sculpts? Do you prefer limited and rare dolls above others? If so, why? If not, are you bothered by people with this attitude?

9° If you had unlimited resources which doll would you purchase? How much does he/she/it cost?

10° Do you keep track of how much you spent on the hobby so far? Why (not)? Does anyone else ever comment on the financial side of your hobby?

2. 1- I check before the marketplace, because sometimes it's less expensive and no waiting time.

2- From all the doll I got, the only which has extra-face was a Puki² Pukisha, the sleeping one, which I never used. So, not really, no.

3- Since I know me I won't used them, no.

4- If it's just a little, yes. I perfectly know the trick, I work in commerce, but if I can indeed save some money, I don't mind it.

5- Yes, dolls are in the bottom of my priorities, so I don't spend that much on it. Except my dream doll, the Souldoll Chiron centaur which I run on it when I got the money.

6- Yes, it's quite actually what I did (well, two dolls), and my Chiron, because dream doll

7- I think I can, even if two fits me better.

8- I've been in extremely rare (like L4 in the world or unique cast) and mythical/animalish dolls. The most common doll I get was the Pukisha I think, and it wasn't a really cute custo to said. I liked my dolls to have some personality in the sculpt and I went most of times for nearly unknown artist dolls. Ironically, the two only dolls I still have are not of this kind (a Soom Amber & Souldoll Chiron, both centaur). But I won't be into Fairyland or Volks dolls for sure, even if I understand why so many people like them.

9- A Domuya Nightmare maybe. Without armor, because not interested in, it was around 800/900$ I believe ?

10- I did, but one day, I don't know what I've done and I lost the file with all the tracks of the dolls I bought. I was keeping price, date, from who, skin, some technical details and stuffs, because I like being organized. But since I lost everything and with two dolls only, it's quite useless now. Outside BJD owners, I don't talk about BJD prices, I consider it doesn't concern people.

3. 1. Since I don't have unlimited time to constantly browse doll company sites, often I am not aware that a doll exists until I see it on the 2nd hand market.
      2. I do buy extra heads that will fit bodies I own occasionally. More characters, less space! Again, this is more of an opportunistic thing.
      3. See #2. I have a couple of sleepy-eyed heads and really like their romantic or sensual look.
      4. Yup! If I decide I don't want an item, I can always find someone else who does, and we both feel good about the transaction because I don't need to try to resell the doll or item at full price.
      5. Yes. There's so much imitation and competition between bjd companies now that I always check to see if there's something from a less expensive company that would "trip my trigger."
      6. & 7 Aaaack! I don't foresee any major money worries, so I guess this is the "what doll would you grab if the house was on fire?" question. My 2 most expensive SDs.
      8. I don't care what other people think about my choices. I learned long ago, being around antique collectors most of my life, that if you try to "invest" in any type of collectible you will probably lose money at some point. Still, your chances of someday turning a profit 'might' be better if you buy limited editions. Unless, of course, we have another economic meltdown.
      9. Eosdoll Tol. I have yet to see him on the market, and I can only assume the seller would ask for my first-born child or something. I read that another man doll will be released by Limhwa in 2015, so I'm hoping it's him.
      10. I have a good idea, and could easily retrieve that info from PayPal, since that's how I pay for about everything. I don't share that info except with other doll fanciers I know in person.

4. 1° Do you bother to look for the doll you want on the secondhand market or do you go straight to the company? Why?
      Unless the doll is discontinued/limited/otherwise unavailable, or I'm having issues getting it from the company for whatever reason (poor responsiveness, wait times, etc), I'll typically go to the company first. I know very specifically what I want, and generally the time it would take to find that specific item in the marketplace offsets the wait time to get it direct from the company (whether it be resin color/matching, a new or unpopular sculpt, or something else entirely).

2° Do you immediatly order sleeping faces and extra hands for your doll through the company? If so, do you do this for every doll you purchase?
      When sleeping faces are available, yes, I do order them. Hands, I don't order immediately, though I like when a doll comes with extras, and for the ones with optional hands, I do occasionally get new ones when putting in an order from the same company. The extra hands can be had at later times, however, while the sleeping faces normally have to be purchased at the same time, and if I put off getting them, I won't be able to get them easily at all.

3° If you have dolls with sleeping faces and extra hands: do you actually use them enough to justify the purchase? If not, do you regret getting them? If you don't have the above, do you regret not getting them?
      I don't use them particularly often, but I still feel like their purchase is justified, yes. I like having the option, and have no regrets toward getting them (same with extra hands). In fact, in the case of one doll I ordered without the optional sleeping head, I regretted it so much right away that I contacted the company and asked them to add it in a couple of days later. It's not faceupped at all yet, but I'm still glad I could get it!

4° Have you ever found yourself looking for extra items to throw in your shopping cart just so you could reach the necessary minimum amount to qualify for an event or free shipping? Do you realize this is a merchandising trick? If so, do you mind being seduced by this?
      Only if I'm very close to the event or free shipping level. And yes, it's an obvious marketing ploy, same as any other company (Amazon, etc) and their free shipping. I also use it to my advantage, for running large group orders from companies with higher-value free shipping or events, thereby letting several people benefit from that marketing ploy.

5° Did the cost of a doll ever stop you from actually purchasing it when you had the necessary amount of money? Have you ever thought, "This doll is too expensive, I'll pass".
      No. If I legitimately want a doll, I've planned for its purchase price, and have determined that it's worth that price to me to acquire it. If I feel a doll is too expensive, it's not on my wishlist at all.

6° If for some reason you had to sell your whole collection except for one doll, would you be able to do it? Would you know who to pick? Why choose that one?
      Nope!

Once upon a time when I first started, sure, I thought that! (Didn't we all at one time? :D) However, I prefer the ability to pose dolls in groups, have them interact, and just in general have a range of sizes and shapes to work with.

8° Do you dislike purchasing popular sculpts? Do you prefer limited and rare dolls above others? If so, why? If not, are you bothered by people with this attitude?
      Nope, and nope. I like what I like, that's all. If it's popular, that's great, and if it's not, that's great too. I have sculpts that are currently popular, were formerly popular and not seen as much anymore, and that are rarely seen at all. I have them because I like them, not because they're "popular" or "rare" or "limited." It does bother me that people can behave rather rudely toward the idea of a "popular sculpt" or to someone who likes "limited" or "rare" or "popular" dolls; it's an elitism masking itself behind "calling out elitism," and it's really quite rude for someone to try to force their own view of how the hobby should be enjoyed on others.

9° If you had unlimited resources which doll would you purchase? How much does he/she/it cost?
      Pretending the sculpts were actually available, it'd be a FairyLand F60 pair (which I wish to order as a pair, at the same time, so it will be an expensive investment--not to mention that the F60 line is "temporarily unavailable," and that one of the two sculpts I want hasn't been reintroduced from their Luts days). Other than that, it's more a matter of "completing sets" for me right now than "desiring one specific doll."

10° Do you keep track of how much you spent on the hobby so far? Why (not)? Does anyone else ever comment on the financial side of your hobby?
      Nope! With 28 full dolls home (plus a few extra parts, and three more full dolls on order), I know darn well it's too much. And no, no one else comments on it.

5. 1° Do you bother to look for the doll you want on the secondhand market or do you go straight to the company? Why?

I look at both the second hand market and dealers before going to the company. I guess its for price and that some dealers have the dolls in stock or do different layaway plans. I do check the company site though because I have noticed that some dealers don't list the holiday promotions that the company has up.

Nope.

Don't regret not getting them

Not exactly. I will juggle the things I want to buy to reach an order total. Like hold of on getting shoes till the next order so I can get as close as the required amount to get the shipping. If I don't have anything that I want I will just pay the shipping. I do tack things on but they were only things I was planning to get anyway.

Oh yes. In that case I hover in the second hand market.

I don't know that I could sell my collection. If it was a really really important thing like paying for housing and food and my family then yes ok. Otherwise I would do everything not to sell them. If I did ever get into that situation it would be my first doll I would keep. My husband bought him for me when we got engaged. He is going no where.

I would feel the doll was lonely. I know its odd but yeah...

I purchase the doll that looks the most like the character I am trying to portray. If they are popular hurrah if they are not hurrah again. I am not bothered by people who buy only limited or popular. It is their money and they should spend it however they feel comfortable. If they try to tell me how to spend my money though it gets annoying.

I would try to find a Soom Shoshon full set on the market somewhere. I don't know how much he would go for but according to the company site he was about $1,200 for all the stuff I wanted with him.

Not really. I budget of course but I don't keep a running tally of how much I have spent over the last five years. I suppose as I have all my totals somewhere I could calculate it if I wanted too but I just don't care enough to know right now. My friends all think I'm nuts spending that money on dolls but my husband is supportive.

6. 1° Do you bother to look for the doll you want on the secondhand market or do you go straight to the company? Why?
      I prefer the company, although I will look secondhand. I find a company more trustworthy, which isn't always the case either.
      No. I don't usually order extra's. Recently with my peakswoods order I got extra hand parts... That is it though.

I've never done this. I always miss events >.<

Absolutely. Many, many dolls. Actually I am extremely happy I did end up passing since my tastes have changed quite drastically.

Yes, I would keep my Doll Chateau Barbara. I have put the most effort into her (faceup, wig, commissioned clothing).

I could not be happy with only one. I need some versatility, Even if I ended up selling my collection I would evenutally re purchase dolls. I like doing faceups and wigs without having to change a current faceup over and over again.

I don't dislike popular dolls at all. They just aren't my style anymore. I honestly don't judge how others enjoy the hobby.

Doll Chateau Snow Nymph. Around $600

Not completely. I have a vague idea but I haven't factored in the little things like watercolour pencils, wig caps, eyelashes, MSC, clothing items, eyes. I know how much total my dolls have cost me though. Everyone has commented on the financial aspect but not in a completely negative way. Tag shock was common at first but it's like anything else, things add up. Although my family and boyfriend have commented, they understand it's a hobby and something I love and they know it's my money to spend. I think 99% of people will be shocked when you say that a DOLL costs $600+ until they are educated about the work and effort that goes into BJD's. Hence why I like to refer to them as "customizable art sculptures"...helps people comprehend much more easily than using the word doll.

7. 1° Do you bother to look for the doll you want on the secondhand market or do you go straight to the company? Why?

Yes, I look at the MP first, though I'm not looking for anything in particular right now, except maybe horns for my demon. When I was looking for a body for my DS Saint. I looked first in the MP, I don't like long waits and if someone needs the $ for the doll I want I'm willing to take it off their hands.

No and No, though I would like a SA Saint in pale right now, can't afford it even on the MP.

N/A N/A and No basically.

Yes, I have looked but no I wasn't tempted to do it.

I have a doll on layaway right now that I would have had to pass on because it is expensive, but because of the layaway I got him and I so very happy that I could get him.

No, I couldn't. I'd sell other things if I needed the $. I have already tried to pick one to sell so I could get the one on layaway and couldn't do it. I have one that doesn't get as much love as the others but he is still a necessary member of the group.

No, I (they) need the group dynamic.

I have a twin Ringdoll Sols, they are a very popular and one of the older sculpts still being made. I love them and it hasn't made me think twice about getting them. I am getting a LE10 but not because he is limited but because I fell in love with him and had a place for him in the group dynamic. I'm too old to worry about other people's concerns. I do this because it makes me happy.

I'd pay off my Kenzo he is 799 but I've made two payments. I don't have any dolls on my wish list so that would be it. I would like to spoil my group and get great eyes and wigs, and like I said earlier some horns for my demon.

No, I didn't keep track but I finally did put myself on a yearly doll budget which comes to about 200 a month. Why? because I didn't want to over spend. It just made sense to keep it reasonably under control. My husband has his 200 to use however he wants so we are happy with our arrangement.

8. I think it shows to me how long its been since I've bought a doll, because so many of these options haven't been available a couple of years ago!

1° Do you bother to look for the doll you want on the secondhand market or do you go straight to the company? Why?

I tend to only buy secondhand from a friend, or if the doll is no longer available from the company. I'd prefer to support the company and buy something new.

The only time I've got extra hands and heads is when they've come with the doll as part of a set.

I tend to choose dreaming and sleeping heads over open eyed ones! XD Extra hands I use if they're easy to change, extra heads often become another doll.

Never been an option for dolls. If I've bought from dollmore I usually run a group order of small things to reach free shipping.

No, I usually save up for a doll, or put it on layaway. I never have the amount of money available at the time when a new doll comes along, it's a planned purchase.

6° If for some reason you had to sell your whole collection except for one doll, would you be able to do it? Would you know who to pick? Why choose that one? No, I couldn't choose.

No, I enjoy the different aesthetics each of my dolls have. Sewing is a big part of the hobby for me (and my career), so each of their different looks is inspiration to me. I don't want one doll with 20 different looks, that doesn't work for me.

I just buy what I like. I don't care how other people feel about their purchasing habits, or their opinions of mine.

I'd currently like a Popovy Dolls Little Owl. I think they're around $800-900? I can't remember, it's been awhile since I looked.

I do of the dolls themselves for insurance purposes, not of other things like accessories and wigs and clothes. I generally don't talk much to people outside of the hobby about the cost of items, so no.

9. 1° Do you bother to look for the doll you want on the secondhand market or do you go straight to the company? Why?
      I go straight to the company. As I said somewhere on the interwebs all the dolls i want are available from their company. Whats 2-3 months for a fresh "new" doll.

2° Do you immediatly order sleeping faces and extra hands for your doll through the company? If so, do you do this for every doll you purchase? Only extra hands heeled feet/legs. My first doll came with jointed hands, and i ordered heeled legs and feet plus extra hands.

3° If you have dolls with sleeping faces and extra hands: do you actually use them enough to justify the purchase? If not, do you regret getting them?
      If you don't have the above, do you regret not getting them? I use them and can justify the purchase. Some shoes fit one type of foot than the other :dance I regret nothing and will do it again.

I always miss events or order too early.

5° Did the cost of a doll ever stop you from actually purchasing it when you had the necessary amount of money? Have you ever thought, "This doll is too expensive, I'll pass". It did and i bought a different one that was abit cheaper i do regret that choice since i don't touch that doll now.

6° If for some reason you had to sell your whole collection except for one doll, would you be able to do it? Would you know who to pick? Why choose that one? I'd never see a reason to have to sell them. But I guess my SDF girls head and my msd DF-h zhi yan. Why? I dont see Harmonys much specially in real skin brown. She's cute i do want to change her body. As for Zhi-Yan she is now unavailable and she is and will always be my first doll.

7° Do you think you could be happy with just one doll? Why? I should it would be easier, but I cant.

8° Do you dislike purchasing popular sculpts? Do you prefer limited and rare dolls above others? If so, why? If not, are you bothered by people with this attitude? I don't like overly popular sculpts I don't 'want' them. They are amazing and yes I'd want them but i wouldn't get them there is a reason companies have more than 1 sculpt.

9° If you had unlimited resources which doll would you purchase? How much does he/she/it cost? Iplehouse YID Emilia $750

10° Do you keep track of how much you spent on the hobby so far? Why (not)? Does anyone else ever comment on the financial side of your hobby? Only the doll itself and expensive clothing. Co-workers question the cost of most things in the hobby but don't question it.

10. 1° Do you bother to look for the doll you want on the secondhand market or do you go straight to the company? Why?
      I do look on the second-hand market. If the doll I'd like is for sale somewhere in Europe, it saves a lot of hassle with the customs office.

No - the company I own most sculpts from doesn't offer sleeping faces. I wish they did, I would have ordered them for most of my dolls. I'm planning photostories and sleeping faces offer possibilities I'd like to have. I sometimes order option hands, but since many of my dolls are similar in size (and from the same company, and I'm not that picky about resin mismatch) I can use them for various dolls.

I wish they would have been available for one of my dolls at least - like this I'll need to get my hands on another head and mod her eyes closed for a couple of scenes in the story. I would much rather have bought a sleeping faceplate instead of a whole other head.

Never done it. Free shipping usually only means the whole shebang meandering into "customs fees on top of import tax" territory anyway.

No. Once I have decided on a doll I want, the decision stands. What does occasionally (read: Right this moment) stop me are exchange rates being bad.

I'd rather not, but I could sell all except for Chris. She was my first and grail and is the shell of a very old, very dear OC of mine. Whatever happens, she stays. (I'd mourn for Katie though. And Cali. But Chris is the one I could never, ever let go.)

No. My dolls are resin avatars of my OCs. I suck at writing so I'll try my hand at photostories once I have all necessary OCs shelled - having only one would defy that purpose. I did n knew from the start I wouldn't be happy with just a pretty resin face.

I don't care how popular / rare my dolls are. My first happened to be a very popular sculpt. Her significant other, whom I'd be sculpt-hunting for for ages, isn't popular at all (for a while mine was the only one on deviantArt, or so I've been told).
      What bothers me about the "need" for rareness is that limited editions make it difficult for many buyers; In Germany we pay 20% import tax on anything that enters the country, so buying and re-selling on a whim is kind of a waste of money. I for one won't buy dolls until I've seen owner pics, due to the fact that sales pics often don't quite do the sculpt justice and I want to be very very sure I really like the doll, because re-selling would always mean quite a bit of loss. That rules out most LEs. It does kind of bother me because it is unnecessarily limiting to those already being limited by their country's tax policy, and it has caused me to altogether stop looking at companies who do mostly LEs that don't get re-released.

Oof - Iplehouse Edan, I guess. He was limited as a fullset and is now available in Doll Choice (adding $50 to his total cost) and I'd like him in a tan colour due to the character he embodies, plus I prefer mobility joints. Those things considered, he clocks in at $800. With exchange rates what they are and import tax plus customs fees getting slapped on top, I'd spend more than $1000 on a blank and nude doll, which is why I'm waiting for the Euro to get its sh*t together before I buy any more dolls.

Nah. I'm a musician, I'm used to spending loads of money on well-engineered works of art (only usually they're the "instrument" type) and once I own it, I stop thinking of the price. I couldn't work with my instruments if I kept reminding myself "that's $12000 you're holding" or "if I sold this, I could buy {...}". Not happening. I also live on my own, my bills are paid with my own money and whatever is left is mine to spend whichever way I like, so nobody else gets much of a say in anything. My Dad will consider everything a waste of money, but I'd rather buy a doll that keeps a part of its value than go to fancy restaurants every week or go on expensive holiday trips.

11. 1° Do you bother to look for the doll you want on the secondhand market or do you go straight to the company? Why?
      I always check the marketplace on DOA first. I have only purchased 1 doll off of it though but I still check it now and then for sculpts I am interested in just in case I can get one cheaper and for less shipping.

No I never order extras. The only extras I would ever get is if they are included in the cost.

This is why I don't order extras; I would never use them! I received a ton of extras with my Roxen (that was a trade lol) and I use her fantasy head, hands, body and feet. I don't use the horns, wings, fantasy feet or the human head she came with. Its kind of a waste lol.

I have never tossed extras into my cart for free shipping because I know that by the time I reach the "free shipping" I would have paid more than the cost of the shipping anyway. I also don't jump on events. I just put a Fairyland Risse on layaway and was just $25 short of their event head and still I didn't add something extra just to get an event head I would never use.

Yeah I was a click away from ordering a doll awhile ago but something held me back. Glad I did because two days later I ended up with a major car repair that used up all those funds. Now I don't even want the doll I thought I originally did lol.

I could sell all my dolls in a heartbeat for the right reasons. If it came down to me eating, having a roof over my head or a vet bill for my dog I am prepared to sell them all. I would miss them but I always keep the "what if" in the back of my mind. If I was able to keep just one doll it would have to be my Meadowsweet. I am not sure why; probably because no matter how much I look at her I just can't get over how beautiful she is.

Definitely; I am a minimalist in every day life so I am very used to only living with the bare minimum. My dolls are my only splurge.

Actually I find myself attracted to the rarer sculpts even though I don't mean to lol. I don't care if a sculpt is popular or unpopular; if I like it then I like it. To each their own!

Definitely a DollShe Ausley Love. She is in the $700 range I think.

I keep track of all my expenses lol. I do this because I don't like to live outside my means and I allot a certain amount of money for my dolls each year. Last year I only spent a quarter of what I allotted so I figured I would treat myself to a MNF which I've wanted for a while. No one comments on my finances because its personal.

12. 1° Do you bother to look for the doll you want on the secondhand market or do you go straight to the company? Why?
      I do either. Sometimes what I'd like to buy isn't on DoA. A four to six month wait isn't fun but it's part of buying art objects.

When I can, I try to.

I like having them. They're very handy for photoshoots. I do a lot of posing of my dolls.

No, I don't do that. Other than sales, I've never really been into events.

All the time. Some things are not worth the money (to me) or space for me to justify it.
      Oh gosh I have no idea if I could. I'd probably end up keeping one of the more therapeutic ones like Stella.

I'd always miss my other character portraits.

I honestly don't care or mind one way or another. I haven't ended up with many superpopular dolls just because I choose them based on whether I like them.

If I had unlimited resources.... I wouldn't be using it on dolls. I'm pretty happy with my collection right now, and more would be hard to enjoy- I don't have time to play with more than I have right now.

I keep an eye on my spending. No one else has a say because I am currently not financially connected to a partner.

13. Oh! long strings of questions! love those. Let's see....
      Yes usually I do try to look second hand first. Second hand usually has a more flexible layaway plan and my bank is a jerk and likes American sellers better.

2° Do you immediately order sleeping faces and extra hands for your doll through the company? If so, do you do this for every doll you purchase?
      No, I rarely purchase these extra items for my doll.

I usually prefer sleeping heads to open eyed ones so I will buy one as a primary head. I don't buy extras.

No I rarely order during an event period. I prefer to wait for the inevitable mass sale of event items that will follow three months later.

5° Did the cost of a doll ever stop you from actually purchasing it when you had the necessary amount of money? Have you ever thought, "This doll is too expensive, I'll pass". Yes I try to keep my collection under 10 dolls so if I want a new one something has to go.

6° If for some reason you had to sell your whole collection except for one doll, would you be able to do it? Would you know who to pick? Why choose that one? I would sell all my BJD if I needed to. I think the only one I would really keep is my Planetdoll mini just because she is small and my favorite.

7° Do you think you could be happy with just one doll? Why? Yes I can. I've done it before.

8° Do you dislike purchasing popular sculpts? Do you prefer limited and rare dolls above others? If so, why? If not, are you bothered by people with this attitude? I don't see the point in worrying about stuff like that. At the end of the day none of you people are going to be in my house and the doll will. I chose my dolls based on what I like. If a lot of people also happen to like it too then fine whatever.

I really want a Dollpamm Manjyu. I'm pruning my collection to get one right now.
      10° Do you keep track of how much you spent on the hobby so far? Why (not)? Does anyone else ever comment on the financial side of your hobby? I've probably spent too much but I've also sold a lot so right now I think I break even in this weird dolly blackjack game.

14. Most of these questions have to do with thriftiness/how you spend your money rather than minimalism, I think. Minimalism in my mind might be, owning one doll, with one or two outfits, period. And just playing with that one doll without adding anymore items to your collection afterwards. The simplicity of this has some appeal to it (and it would very much appeal to my wallet!), but I could never go down this path. I love to express different ideas and styles through dolls, so I need more than one doll, and I need a variety of accessories for all those styles I love. I do try to narrow my purchases down to things that I really want and will use, and not buy anything that crosses my fancy (I couldn't afford to do that really).

I usually check the marketplace first because I might be able to get the doll quicker or cheaper. In some cases, I'll stalk the marketplace for the doll I want, if ordering from the company looks like it will take too long.

Not usually. I was quite tempted to buy extra hands for DD Miku, but held off because the prices were quite high and I didn't really need the parts. If I buy extra hands for my dolls, it's later on.

I don't use them very often .__. I try not to buy extra hands, etc, very often for this reason.

Not for free shipping, but I do add stuff to the shopping cart to make the purchase feel more "worth it". Since I'm making an order all the way from asia (usually), and shipping is expensive, I want to make sure I get enough bang for my buck, so to speak.

Yes, sometimes I think "what if a doll I love even more comes out, and I cna't buy it because I already spent my money on this one?" Or "I could buy shoes or clothes instead for my current dolls who need it" Or maybe the doll just costs more than I want to spend.

Nooooooo.... ;_; I couldn't do it. I don't like to imagine being in such a dire situation either.

Nope, I explained above.

I buy whichever sculpts I love, popular or not. What dolls other people buy, it doesn't matter to me. If they have dolls I think are beautiful, that's all that matters :)

Ohh.... I think I would buy DD Aoko Aozaki. She's limited and her current market price is around $1500. Or $800 for just her head. I love her sculpt, but I just can't manage that price. I had an idea for what I wanted to do with her, but I went with another sculpt instead. Now I don't have any plans for her, but I still love the sculpt.

Never :horror: It would horrify me. My family comments that they'd never spend so much on dolls, but they understand that I'm fine with the price. It's not a hobby they are into, so of course they wouldn't buy a bjd, even if there is one they like.

15. Awesome topic, Siara!

- I almost always shop on the Marketplace. A lot of the dolls I want are older or discontinued, plus I'm just a sucker for thrift shopping anyway!

- I very rarely will order direct from company, and even when I did, I've never ordered extras. I think I might buy some high-heeled feet for one doll but that's my exception.

- Don't have them and no regrets about not having them.

- I could see myself ordering from a company during an event, but ONLY if I had something from that company on my wishlist and was not planning on using that money for something else.

- Yes, all the time. I have a lot of dolls on my wishlist that are current/popular sculpts (hello, Iplehouse!) and I can't justify the price right now. It doesn't mean I will never get those dolls, it just means I have to be patient. As trends change, they will eventually be easier to acquire secondhand for a price I'm more able to afford.

- Probably I could do it, but it would have to be for a really good reason. However, I'd be stuck between two: one who was my grail, and one who was the first BJD I really truly felt attached to. I could be content with just them but I'd miss the rest.

- I could be happy with the two mentioned above but not sure I could choose between them if I had to!

- I really don't care? I don't know, I tend to gravitate towards older or "weirder" sculpts and that's cool. I also have some popular sculpts in my wishlist and that's cool too. No one particularly has to look at my dolls except me, so I had better make sure I like them! If others are concerned with the status of their dolls' popularity, that's no skin off my back either though. To each their own.

- Ah, I think my pipedream would be a quartet of dolls, the March sisters from "Little Women." I'd choose four sculpts from Iplehouse, probably using their free choice option, and adding the commissioned face-ups and costumes to go with them...well that's several thousand easily! If we're talking true "unlimited resources," like maybe time travel, I'd go back to when Roonodoll was still a blip on the radar and order a Yumi, because she's dang impossible to find nowadays. (Ditto for DollnDoll Shade!)

- No, I'd probably cry if I did! Also only my very best friend knows about the cost, because I accidentally got her involved in the hobby as well so she can commiserate with me. ;)

16. 1° Do you bother to look for the doll you want on the secondhand market or do you go straight to the company? Why?
      I like looking at the MP, buying from another member just makes more sense if it's an option. If a new doll is only marginally more money, I will buy from the company. I've bought two dolls from the MP and neither were/are available from the company.

2° Do you immediately order sleeping faces and extra hands for your doll through the company? If so, do you do this for every doll you purchase?
      No

No, this doesn't apply to me. I might like to have some jointed hands in the future, just not now.

No, my doll related shopping is planned purchases, this hasn't happened to me.

No, my dolls are planned purchases.

Yes, but I would sell many other possessions first, before any dolls. He is my favorite, I waited years, he was made especially for me.

Yes, that is what I first intended. I had opportunities to acquire other dolls I liked as well. My first, I waited years to buy and I love that one the most. Everyone else is a bonus and I enjoy them very much.

I don't pay much attention to popular vs unpopular sculpts. If I like one well enough, I will have it. I'm too old to care what's the attitude of others when considering my personal collection. They are mine, because I chose them. I respect the preferences of other owners and have no opinions about the collections of others.

Iplehouse Theo and Ringdoll Mona fullset. I think they are about $700 each??? I'm saving for a trip before buying any more dolls, so I don't have any definite plans to buy them yet.

I give myself a monthly allowance. If I work overtime, or have some kind of extra money, then I might spend it on dolls. I don't keep track of doll spending because there is no reason for me to do that. I don't know if anyone comments on it, I'm an adult with a secure job, so it really isn't the business of anyone else.

17. 1° Do you bother to look for the doll you want on the secondhand market or do you go straight to the company? Why?

Since I'm a hoarder of limiteds it would seem I will often have to go through the secondary market to obtain the dolls I'm after. If the doll is available firsthand from the company I always pick that route though. I'm supporting the artists directly that way and I'm getting a doll made just for me. It also risks less when complications are involved as companies are reliable for the most part. If a doll is available firsthand yet I choose to buy secondhand it might be because of a lowered price. Or perhaps it comes with a faceup I'd like to keep (rarely, since i have characters) or comes with extras.

No. I don't care for additional faces (although in the case of my L-Bi I'm considering buying a madoromi plate only for the reason I find his sleeping face very peaceful and happy), but I might try to get an additional pair of hands if there is an expression I really like for them.

No. As said above, I don't care for additional faces for my dolls and I don't regret sitting out on them where they weren't included for free.

Yes; in both cases of event and shipping. I'm fully aware it is a merchandising trick, but I often like event items, and usually the cost of the additional items I add in my cart are way less than what EMS shipping would have been for my country (ie a pair of $20 jeans on top of my actual purchase whereas shipping would have been $45+ alone). I don't mind being "seduced" by it, in my opinion it's e who wins anyway AND I get to help the company a bit extra while at it.

No. If I have the money and want the doll I'll go for it. If I don't have the money, or can't make the necessary amount by selling things and taking commissions I won't.

It would be very hard, but I think I could. I am very attached to all my dolls as they all represent characters but if it came to that I would have to only keep my SSDF Avalanche. He's a basic doll and rather unremarkable in most regards but to me he's the most gorgeous doll out there and he also represents a character that is most dear to me, so I would keep him even though I don't play with him as often due to his size and can't find him proper clothes to fit him all that often either.

I would be happy to have even one, yes, but I like versatility and like creating many different characters so I would miss that.

I don't mind popular sculpts if I like them. And I don't prefer limiteds and rare dolls either. I buy what I like and what I think fits my haracters. I'm only bothered by all the people following the minifee fad just because it's a fad and they're after popularity. Obviously I like CP myself but not because of some fad. I don't claim they are the start all end all of dolls, don't write epics to their (mediocre yet natural) poseability and own dolls from other companies too.

Volks Williams. He costs about $2-2.5k fullset.

I used to but not anymore. I prefer managing my month-to-month finances rather than looking at what i spent in retrospect? Besides I sell so much that it kind of evens out. My mother occasionally will ask when I'll stop buying but nothing more.

18. 1° Do you bother to look for the doll you want on the secondhand market or do you go straight to the company? Why?
      I browse the company sites and MP both. the MP has introduced to me sculpts and companies I never would have thought I'd like (Mystic Kids for example). And owner photos on the MP can be very different from company photos. I like to see both.

Only once have I ever got an extra head with any of mine, and that head never got a body. So no, I don't do it.

Never used the sleeping head for my El. I don't like sleeping faces but the only option for him at the time was the sleeping and normal head.

Yeah, but I usually ONLY shop during company events so I never have to stretch to meet the dollar amount. If anything, I take stuff out of my cart to be closer to the item I actually want (i.e. the last Luts event, I could have bought enough to get a different item than the head I wanted).

Yes. I have a limit on how much I will pay, even for my grail, and I will not budge.

Oh disco ball... I'm not sure I could sell them all but if I had to... I'd probably keep my first just because she was my first and I still love her.

Thought I could but they told me differently fairly quickly!

Nah, I joined the El Army at his height of "everyone has one!!!" so popularity doesn't matter to me. If it's pretty and fits what I want, home it comes.

SD Tan El. My grail... I saw one on the MP for about $800 a while back which is still a bit much but better than the time I turned him down.

Nope. I've been in the hobby too long, I've lost track. My hubby blinks sometimes at the dolls and their cost but I reminded him recently that he has several very expensive hobbies as well so neither of us has the right to criticize the other.

19. 1° Do you bother to look for the doll you want on the secondhand market or do you go straight to the company? Why?
      Company first, to see if it's in stock. Then I check the wait time. If it's sold out or I don't wanna wait, I check the 2nd hand market to see the price difference and decide which one I'd want to buy it from.

I haven't, and am not planning to. I like eyes open dolls. Heel feet I'd probably spend if I had the shoes to use them with.

n/a.

If I had a dime for every time I filled up a cart doing this and then stopped myself before I actually checked out because of this, I'd be a rich person. If I had a dime for every time that free shipping mark made me spend more and actually go through with it, I'd be even richer.

I saw a doll once for 1,000 dollars, x'd out the window, closed my laptop, and laughed for a good 5 minutes going "Nope!"

There's a better chance of hell being frozen by a single ice cube @ that first part. When I buy things I get too attached to sell them off. The only time I get rid of something is when it's broken or given away. That being said I only have one doll right now so the question is kinda moot. ahaha;;...

No. Because there'd always be more that I'd want to do and once I feel something is "perfect" I loathe to change anything about it. So having more than one doll keeps me from stifling myself.

I'll be honest, I don't know what is popular and what isn't. I like limited for the rarity value and being a finished product. Other than that, if I get a doll it's because I want it, not because everyone else does.
      Whatever float's other people's boats, I guess @ 2nd part. Just as long as they don't try putting holes in the bottom of mine. I can't swim and I'll take them with me >_>;
      Senior Delf Yuri with a type 4 body. I believe the base price is 491. but I'd want the heel legs and that's another 55, and the face up is 63 but I wouldn't know if I'd do it myself or go with theirs so it's hard to say for certain. I just know I wouldn't be willing to spend that much anytime soon. Gotta have my priorities- ton of new games coming out this year that I want both locally and across the pond.

10° Do you keep track of how much you spent on the hobby so far? Why (not)? Does anyone else ever comment on the financial side of your hobby? I know better than to count money spent long term because it'll just depress me. I have a lot of expensive hobbies. I'm aware of how much I spend but I'm not going to write down a numerical total and give myself a heart attack. Every month I set a limit on how much I'm allowed to indulge and won't go past it.
      As for others...they don't comment much on the cost unless I bring it up and they go "daaaaamn!" But they don't start lecturing me or anything. Every last one of them have expensive hobbies too so they can understand.

20. 1° Do you bother to look for the doll you want on the secondhand market or do you go straight to the company? Why?
      Sometimes I get them second hand. Because I usually did not know I wanted it until I saw it on DoA. The company direct ones are my Popovy Sisters OE doll, the Triffony Artworks Sphinx, the Ahkmel doll, and all of the DC dolls, and a few others.

2° Do you immediately order sleeping faces and extra hands for your doll through the company? If so, do you do this for every doll you purchase? Never unless I wanted them and the doll did not have them. I HATE sleeping faces.

3° If you have dolls with sleeping faces and extra hands: do you actually use them enough to justify the purchase? If not, do you regret getting them? If you don't have the above, do you regret not getting them? As stated, I hate sleeping faces.

4° Have you ever found yourself looking for extra items to throw in your shopping cart just so you could reach the necessary minimum amount to qualify for an event or free shipping? Do you realize this is a merchandising trick? If so, do you mind being seduced by this? I have ordered a full set doll from Doll Chateau JUST to get the event. I wanted the Russell doll so ordered a $500 doll just to get him then resold the doll for $150 less than I paid for her. Now you can get Russell by himself. I was angry at myself but would probably do ti again.

Nope. You only live once and I am old already.

6° If for some reason you had to sell your whole collection except for one doll, would you be able to do it? Would you know who to pick? Why choose that one? No way.

Never considered it.

8° Do you dislike purchasing popular sculpts? Do you prefer limited and rare dolls above others? If so, why? If not, are you bothered by people with this attitude? I like weird stuff. I don't care what others want. I have a pretty odd collection of off beat dolls and minimees. I do get a bit peeved at people who say "only THIS or THAT doll" is the right one to collect. That sort of defeats the whole idea of the hobby.

It used to be that I wanted a porcelain Enchanted Doll above all else. But over time they have come to represent something to me that I no longer find attractive in what I perceive that they represent. Rather, I would like a bunch more of Ahkmel dolls ($450-500), every Popovy Sisters and fashion they have made( $800-many thousands for the fashions), and more more more Triffony Artworks dolls ($900)...oh and the new huge Angel Egg moon glass dolls ($2000 and up).

10° Do you keep track of how much you spent on the hobby so far? Why (not)? Does anyone else ever comment on the financial side of your hobby? I have an ever growing "herd" of dolls, wigs, amazing fashions, shoes, eyes, blah, blah, blah. I know I have spent in excess of $50,000 on everything so I have it insured for more than that. My partner sometimes reminds me I have a lot of stuff but she loves me so she does not care.