Resolved Negative Feedback - Nigel Chia nigel88 - RESOLVED

Apr 25, 2011

1. I was advised by moderators to post this thread here.

I'm currently going through a paypal dispute with nigel88 a.k.a Nigel Chia of the forum.
      I saw his work here and was quite impressed by what appeared to be quality, professional tailoring. As it turns out, from my experience, Nigel is skilled with a camera, not a needle and thread. I do NOT feel I was treated like a quality customer. I will NOT buy from him again. And I post here as an FYI to others.

In February 2011 I arranged to purchase a dress nigel88 had listed in his sales thread. He said he would hold it for me until I had payment in a few weeks. When I contacted him to pay for the dress he then asked that I send payment via Personal Payment so he would not lose any money.
      The dress was $195 + $18 shipping. Since he held the dress for me I felt obligated to pay the paypal fees since I needed to know I was protected in this purchase - bringing my total to $219.67.

The photos posted show exactly the condition the dress was received in.

The dress was placed into a clear plastic wrapper and boxed in a very light gift box. The gift box was wrapped in brown paper and shipped from Malaysia to the USA:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inside lining at back - ripped and obviously continuing to fall apart at seams:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inside lining where other seams are already pulling apart, causing stress on the material:

[​IMG]

Inside where you can see an aweful amount of fraying, loose thread, burn marks from a form of ineffective sealing, and the liner is so big it creates bunching and uneven flow:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Outter dress showing uneven seamlines, visible seam threads, and bunching:

[​IMG]

Back of dress showing displaced snap which creates unnecessary folds in the material, loose strings, seams falling apart, and unmatched thread color:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And, last but not least, surface dirt:

[​IMG]

To me, these conditions are unacceptable for the price I paid. I contacted Nigel and was initially offered a refund MINUS shipping and the paypal fees I paid. Then I was counteroffered by Nigel saying he'd fix the dress. I took the dress to a professional and asked for a professional opinion and was advised of what it would cost to fix the item. I asked that he make a new dress and he said he would not.

Mind you, Nigel initially tried to get me to pay via UNPROTECTED payment. Then I was offered a refund minus fees and shipping of $24.67 and also minus what it would cost me to send it back $38.75.
      Then I was offered a fix-up job, which would have cost me another $38.75 to send it to him and then more shipping to get it back. I should not have to pay endless shipping fees back and forth to Malaysia in addition to what I already paid for a high priced gown that should have been properly constructed in the first place!!!

Since I can not afford to pay the high shipping costs I asked Nigel for either a full refund OR a refund of half of what I paid and I'd have someone local fix the issues.
      He, instead, contacted moderators here who said he owed me nothing because he had professionally crafted photos in his sales thread. The item was skillfully photographed! It was NOT skillfully crafted!! Nigel denied me any refund at all and became somewhat insulting. He said he was sorry that his work was not up to my high expectation. For $219.67 YES, I have an expectation!!!!

It became apparent to me that SEVERAL times throughout our transaction he tried to screw me. First by requesting personal pay so I'd not be protected.
      Then by sending me a piece of crap!
      Then by offering to fix the dress which would have cost me all that extra money in shipping.
      Then by offering me nothing in exchange for shoddy workmanship.

Nigel's got excellent feedback. But this is unacceptable! Perhaps I got one of his pieces that he didn't feel like putting the work into but it should have been listed as an unfinished piece and discounted in price.

I feel totally screwed by this guy and had to go through paypal to get a refund, which has not yet been issued. I was not treated fairly! I even told Nigel I was looking to start a business relationship with someone who could do Iplehouse EID commissions. He obviously didn't care.

Let the buyer beware.

2. Is there a resolution you would like to have in this transaction or are you waiting for a refund from PayPal? Also, please don't forget to link this thread in this member's individual feedback thread.

3. I'm waiting for a resolution from Paypal. But wanted to post an FYI for others.

4. I had a Terrible and awful transaction experience with Dancecat. She broke my dress and claims that my workmanship is poor and asks for a full refund from me!

Recently I sold an EID evening gown to Dancecat and afterward I received a complaint from her claim that my workmanship is poor and she want a refund of the dress. I feel very confused because I think that the workmanship of the dress is good when I sent to her, so I agree on the refund at that moment. But after I see the photos of my dress that was taken by her, I was completely shock! My dress is well sewn when I sent to her and now it become broken here and there with dirt some more. It is definitely not as original when I sent to her. I sold more than 20 dresses in the DoA forum and every single feedback is good on my workmanship. It is impossible for me to send out such a terrible dress to my customer.
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      There are just a few feedbacks from the previous dress I sold out last time.
      [​IMG]
      She asked for a full refund or half refund on the price but she will keep the dress. It is so unfair to me that I have to pay her back for the things that is not done by me and received my dress back in such a worse condition.
      After I saw something bad was done on my dress, I refused to refund on my dress that is being handle roughly until all the seam is breaking apart. She became angry and even threatens me that she will post the photos of the dress to the doll forums which will cause lot of people lost their confidence on my work. I was really upset.
      [​IMG]

Then she claim a full refund from my paypal and I am being force to pay her back after receiving the broken dress which was not as in the original condition that I sent over to her. I am just very upset and regret to sell the dress to her.
      Now, she post a negative feedback on me claiming that my dress is poor in workmanship and also claim that the dress in the photo that is what she received from me which is totally not true! Moreover, she cause me to have limited market access due to unresolved transaction for this untruthful accuse.
      I just have to defense myself and my work for being accuse on something that is not the truth! She ruined my reputation that I build up with all the hard work and passion.
      I didn't take photos of the inside of the dress that I sold to her but I have given an example of my work to defense myself on her accused. Every dress is sewn as such in the example dress.
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      The dress was at her side and she might done anything to it so that the dress look bad maybe because she want a full refund and I refus to do so. She make herself look like a victim and indeed I am the victim in this case. I have to pay her back the full price include the shipping fee and receive back a broken dress that is being handle roughly. Now I have to wait and see how worse the dress had become and try to reconstruct it. It is totally a bad experience for me and I really lost a lot in this case.

let the other seller beware!

5. Why would I man-handle the dress and rip it apart??? I TOLD YOU I was looking for a permanent commission artist that would be able to work for my incoming medium bust EID girl and SID large bust girl. I was even willing to start a business relationship with someone who overcharged thinking those prices reflected the quality of workmanship. I was wrong. As soon as the dress arrived I PM'd you with a LIST of what was wrong with it! As shown here:

p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }h2 { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }a:link { }
      You are approximately 13 hours ahead of my time so the next day I received two PMs from you: one ~ offering a refund minus the shipping and paypal fees I paid ($27.67) PLUS I would have had to pay $38.75 to send it back = $66.42 for NOTHING.
      The second PM I received at the same time offered to fix the dress, again, I paid $219.67 for the dress in the first place. Then it would have been $38.75 to send it back for "fixing" then another $God-Knows-What to get it back from you again. How much was I supposed to have paid for this item by the time it would have been properly finished????

Instead I held onto the dress to ask my good friend, who happens to have a professional eye for such things. This way I could be sure that my complaints held water. This is what Arianne told me:

This was your reply re: my concern:

Continued in next post...

6. And my reply back SINCE YOU NEGLECTED TO POST THIS ENTIRE COPY/PASTE OF MY PM ABOVE!!! :

Many people know what they are seeing when they look at these photos. Many people here know what a job like this SHOULD look like. And quite a few people have told me that your photos look very photoshopped.
      Many people will notice by your angled shots that your pictures prove NOTHING about the quality of your workmanship. They prove only that you are a good photographer.

Perhaps the way you have sewn your other gown is the way you should have sewn my gown. Is this the reason you offered to hold the dress for me until I had the money for it??? You knew it was done wrong. I believed that from the beginning upon receiving the dress. And I told you that in my PM (as shown).

Additionally, you have thrown around my real full name, which is against policy as far as I know. It is also uncouth. I have been nothing but professional with you and I'm yet to receive the same courtesy. You are acting rather childish with regard to the whole issue. I asked that you either cooperate professionally or I would share my experience - you told me, basically, to shove it. So here it is - this is me shoving it.

You obviously have no apologies for me but I am sorry that you would rather screw me over than to have had a loyal customer who would have succumbed to your inflated prices.

7. DanceCat ~ Have you received your PP refund yet?

8. Yes, I have. I assume the case is closed here as well. Thank you. :)