Nothing bad to report, but I would like to get in touch with her soon. Basically, I am going to the Feb. SD Owner's Appreciation Event, and I am helping several people obtain the YOs from the event. Broken messaged me on the 23rd of November asking for my assistance with obtaining two of the dolls, and I gladly accepted. I updated her mid-December double-checking to see if she still wanted the dolls before I placed the order, and she confirmed that she did. I received the invoice and paid for the dolls on the 10th of January, and waited until the credit card charge cleared before messaging everyone with amounts. In short, I have messaged broken regarding the dolls on the 14th, the 17th, and the 20th, and have received no response. She was normally excellent about getting back quickly, so I am a bit worried. No money has been exchanged yet, but the transaction was agreed upon and reconfirmed. I have however already paid for them myself. I just want a message saying that she's still around, if she wants to back out of the transaction, that's fine, but I would like advance notice so I can arrange other alternatives. I hope you are doing well, broken!