I am trying to reach the user Haine. Back in late January, early February, we had a transaction going with my volks school B head. She paid for it through paypal, but we had to get some shipping things worked out. Eventually, she asked if I would wait to send it until she sent me some eyes that she ordered because I am in America and she is not- she wanted the eyes sent to me so that I could send the eyes and the head together. Here's where things went downhill- I took MUCH too long to send her the head, and our contact back and forth got sparse on both sides. I take full responsibility for taking too long, but I made sure not to spend any of the money before the head was in her hands. After several weeks, I had to go out of town, so I had my stepdad send the head. Very soon (maybe a day) after he sent it, we got a paypal message from Haine asking for a refund and that we should not send the head if we hadn't already. I was fine with this as I realized I had tried her patience and was irresponsible. However, we had already sent the head to her. I told her to simply wait until she got the head, then we could work out the means of shipping it back to me and I would give her a refund when I got the tracking number. She told me that she would feel better getting a refund before sending the head back. I complied, and granted her a refund through paypal. I have not heard from her since and have tried multiple ways of contacting her with no success. I realize that I was irresponsible with how long I took to send the head, but now I have neither the head, nor the money. I don't know what to do about it. She will not reply to me, so if anyone has heard from her, I want this to be worked out so that I don't have to take a big loss, but I'm not hopeful. I would be happy with either the money or the head returned to me. Her last contact to me was on March 19th.