1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Practice faceups on resin or plastic heads?

Feb 21, 2021

?
  1. Resin all the way though

60.0%
  2. Plastic (not risking it!)

10.0%
  3. Bit of both

30.0%
    1. To all face up artist out there! I have been really wanting to practice my face up skills with a blank doll I ordered. It obviously didn't turn out too good, so I redid it short after. I have heard resin gets more difficult to paint after a few face ups, so I am really scared to continue practising on this specific doll, as I would really like to keep her. Some people advised plastic heads for practice, but I really don't enjoy working on those. Please tell me it is not just me being picky :XD: Poll just out of curiosity!

2. If you clean it thoroughly, there's no reason that you can't repaint a head multiple times. However, if you don't feel like using your 'keeper' doll, you can buy resin practice heads for $20 and under on eBay, at some dealers (like Alice's, for example) and even here on the MP.

3. Along with Alice's Collections, Clover Singing also sells cheap practise heads too (look in the 'other BJD brands' section). I think its best to practise with the same texture material as your fine work so you get the feel for it :)

#3 Epicari, Feb 21, 2021
      Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    4. Yup, I picked up an old head from someone on a Facebook group for $15. It's obviously had several faceups before I started on it, but taking them off with isopropyl alcohol is pretty easy. I'm just practicing on that.

5. Polyurethane is plastic. ;)

6. I did not know about this, thank you!!!

Agree. I did not like the texture on the practice heads at all. There's something quite nice about painting on resin somehow! Thank you :3nodding:

I will definitely have a look on Facebook groups, thank you for the suggestion!

:XD: :lol:Thanks for clarifying!

7. If you use proper materials, you won’t hurt the head. My first doll has probably had more than 20 faceups and he’s still perfectly fine! Even though you use the same materials on vinyl or plastic heads, the texture is different. I think it’s best to learn on what you’ll be planning to collect.

8. I'm not a face up artist by any stretch of the imagination, but I got into these dolls to customize them myself. I enjoy painting, I've painted most of my life now and I love customizing most of my toys whether they are resin or any other type of plastic. I find it a lot easier to paint on larger heads, regardless of the type of plastic. I do find it a little bit of a pain in the gut to paint on tinier heads, but that's not dependent on the material just the size, because I have terrible shaky hands. Having said that, painting on soft vinyl is a lot different than painting on hard plastics (including resin); I find it easier to blend pastel on hard plastics than on soft vinyl (sometimes), but painting with actual paint is pretty similar on both. If you want to practice painting resin heads, there are legitimate companies that sell practice heads under $30, on Alice Collections or other legitimate dealers. (:

9. Since I am on the same boat as yours I'd rather practice on resin in that way you will get familiar with the canvas and stick with the water based materials.

10. So I dont consider myself a faceup artist, just a hobbyist c: and I've painted my fair share of monster high dolls for fun c: I guess those are what I had to practice on before I did my first resin faceup. I painted my Soom Petit Gem Leepy and it was definitely different from the vinyl heads I'm used to c: I wish I had known about the practice head idea but transitioning from vinyl to resin wasnt crazy. The texture is very different but similar methods apply c: I cant wait to see the faceups you make though! I love when people share what they are working on <3

11. I started doll repaint with cheap Monster High dolls :) I think it was a good way to learn to use the material correctly! Then I did a Pullip custom and only after that I started repainting resin bjds! :thumbup
      I was too scared to start directly with the really expensive dolls :shudder

12. So I’ve gotten into collecting dolls, now I’m tempted to make wigs and maybe eyes for them. I would LOVE to make some really good ones. I want a hobby I will love. And bjd seems to be it

13. Thank you all so much for all the suggestions!! I will definitely be looking them up!

14. I would use plastic dolls as a starter. I really fear messing up an expensive head. They're much cheaper and perfect to start doll re-painting.

15. I feel like a practice head or old doll head would be a great thing to experiment on!
      Alice's collections always seems to have a few in stock at a cheap price.

I have only tried face ups on a resin head and a Monster High doll I got from a thrift store. Maybe its a scale thing (MH is tiny!) but I found it much more difficult to work with the MH doll. You have to draw/paint the eyes yourself and the surface texture is pretty different (vinyl vs resin). I probably will not do a MH doll again :sweat

16. I practice on old beaten up soft vinyl heads, some that I wouldn't display. But I started on plastic regular ol' kids doll heads!

Don't forget the matte sealer! Makes seeing details much easier in my opinion. :celebrate