1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Smaller sized dolls for older characters. How do you get the age across?

Jun 3, 2012

1. I have a 32 cm Bluefairy Minoru who is acting as a body for my gnomish DnD character Finch. She had to be shorter then my two MSD boys since gnomes are inherently shorter then humans, however I keep finding myself asking "How can I make her look more her age?" especially since I eventually intend to get her husband and children in doll form. She is actually meant to be about the same age as my MSD characters, that being early 20s.

Has anyone else ever had this problem? What did you do to remedy it? Do you think that size always has to indicate age?

Edit: For reference I've put a picture of her below. She does have a bust, her tunic is just very baggy.

(sorry if this is in the wrong place. I don't post often and was not sure if it belonged here, or in the size specific category)

[​IMG]

2. You can try painting the face in a more mature style, and you might want to try adding a more pronounced bust to her. If you can't get a resin piece, there's a tutorial for fake breasts made out of fabric and stuffing thay you can attach. That might help.

3. Smaller eyes. Babies eyes overwhelm their face giving a cutesy look; adults have smaller eye to face proportion. Dressing in an older way can also help; children and adults don't wear the same things. Shorter hair looks 'older.'

4. Thanks. I actually currently have the biggest bust they offer for Junior Fairy size Bluefairy dolls on her right now, but I might make an extra bust piece for her at some point using the fabric method. I never thought of that. ^_^

5. Thanks for the educational post and making me think about my doll family in a different light! Indeed, why should MSD's be younger than SD's..

6. It's all about scale. Some small dolls have smaller heads compared to others and that makes them look more mature. Babies heads are 1/4 the length of their bodies, while adults heads are 1/8 the length of theirs. Other ages are also in proportion:

[​IMG] (copied from a tutorial about sketching)

There are lots of small dolls with more mature faces, or they could be with a little modding of round cheeks and other childish features. These dolls are always a challenge.

7. None of my Yo-SDs are children. It's all in the styling. Smaller eyes and non-childlike clothes helps a lot. I hadn't realized I had done so well until I went to a doll shop and took two of them with me. I showed them to the girl working, and she asked me what kind of stuff I was looking for. I said "well, my dolls are like Chibi Adults" and she immediatly said "ya, I could tell they were not children" ^_^

Oh course for my Dwarf, I just cheated and gave him a beard >.>

Good luck with your DnD character development ^_^ Minoru World Juniors are always very tempting to me

8. Like many of the people said, it's about the clothes and the face-up. Most of my dolls MSD's and none of them are really childlike I'd say. The one who looks the youngest is the one with the most "natural" face up in my case. My Yo-SD doen't look that childish too, although he still looks like a kid because he's supposed to be one :). I used pretty hard colors on him (IE: he has red eyes and a face-up with black in it)

9. I agree with the smaller eye size - I think that makes the biggest difference in how old a doll looks.

Obviously, clothes and styling can/will make a difference as well, but if the iris almost completely fills the eyes, the doll will always look younger regardless of what he/she is wearing.

10. Face-ups, diction, and body-types. If I'm posting these dolls, and there's a scenario in which speaking was required, I'd select succinct diction to convey their age and maturity level. I'd also probably aqcuire smaller-sized eyes for them, and a "mature" face-up style and wardrobe. However, the MSD I have is fourteen, and she's pretty immature looking (big eyes, ambiguous clothes, childish face-up), while the yo-SD I'm dollysitting is well over one-thousand, and she's quite mature looking (her face sculpt is somewhat stoic, as is her face-up XD).

11. Wow I'm glad I could do that ^_^. I made the choice early on before I even got my first boy. I had been lucky enough to have a friend let me carry her biggest around and he was a bit unruly then her MSD I feel in love with the size and set it as my adult size. I've thought about upgrading, but I love how portable the boys are XD

12. <br><br>Wow I'm glad I could do that ^_^. I made the choice early on before I even got my first boy. I had been lucky enough to have a friend let me carry her biggest around and he was a bit unruly then her MSD I feel in love with the size and set it as my adult size. I've thought about upgrading, but I love how portable the boys are XD

13. Aging dollies is generally done via faceup and clothes mostly, as far as I'm concerned. Even if one retains a youthful body by excersising and living a very healthy lifestyle age will still most likely show in their face. It's the same for larger dollies though, when you want to age them I mean. Most SDs appear to be around their twenties... thirties at most... well one of mine is supposed to 46... in any case... for your girl I'll second the idea of eyes with a smaller iris/pupil to make her look more mature. (also slap me... but her childish appearance makes me think of a halfling rather than a gnome right now... :doh *hides*)

14. Lol that's fine. At least the way I picture gnomes they're slim and fae-like. But I can see what you mean. The character could be a gnome or halfling pretty easily.

She currently has in 14mm eyes, does anyone know if 12mm would work in her eyes?