1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Tan skin worries..... color changing?

Nov 28, 2016

1. Interesting to know about your Resinsoul (?) BLUE boy going a bit yellow. If he's a very light blue, I can see it, though. The white resin can yellow a bit and the blue can be more fugitive than some other colors, so the combination just adds up to a shift to green. That happened in a really bad way with the Bambicrony Light blue Kumi, made in 2007--it was a known issue, since they used French Resin. They went pea green very quickly (within a year!). BUT---I have had several other blue resin dolls since that one and they have stayed blue! And I haven't heard of other issues as bad as that.

I really do think most companies have got some pretty good resin recipes these days. --There are always some new colors and mixes being tested out, though, so sometimes there is a risk that color changes (worse than typical resin aging) could happen... but they aren't common. (thank goodness!)

=====
      Resin does age and naturally yellow. I'm still a bit hesitant to buy transparent resins (after the bambicrony French Resin problem!). And I worry slightly about reds and some blues fading a bit... So for tan dolls, I usually prefer the tans that are slightly more red than yellow, just in case! But I already have some tans that are more greeny/yellow out of the box... Sometimes, I'll just take the risk and see! So far, so good, though! The Iplehouse Tedros I have in the photo above is now 6 years old and is doing OK, and the Special (revised, after the problems Iplehouse had with the original color) Real Skin color is on the green/yellow side of tan colors. And I'm currently in layaway for a Granado in Tan, which is a similar tan to IH Real Skin... But I haven't heard of any problems so far, so it should be OK.

#21 april, Dec 3, 2016
      Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    2. I wish I could take a decent shot of Jolen's colour change and compare it to older pics of him but my camera hates to photograph the "weird" colours and always tries to autocorrect the colours.

I think the reason my AoD boys are more or less stable is that the old tan they used to do was sort of a butterscotch kind of colour, so was already into the more yellow end of the spectrum than the red/orange end. I love the colour of it.

3. @LillyLullaby

As promised, here are some pictures of my Iplehouse Storm.

https://flic.kr/p/PiHrZA
      https://flic.kr/p/PiHqCY
      https://flic.kr/p/PPb4rN

Admittedly, the greening is not as noticeable in pictures due to difference in lighting, the limitations of my cellphone camera, and such, but in person the green hue is a bit more noticeable. You can also type the keyword Iplehouse greening and you will be able to see their colors for greening/yellowing.

Still, Iplehouse's tan resin is certainly and increadibly beautiful and the greening of their tan resin tends not to be too noticeable in pictures which is always welcome a welcome sight.

4. @Lady Alexiel Thank you for the new pics!! I can definitely see where you're mentioning now, but honestly I don't think I would have really noticed it until now when I was looking for it. Its actually kind of interesting looking since it lends him an olive-y hue. I actually quite like it. I am wondering if Fairyland produces similar results when they age. They tend to be a pretty red based tan, so Im thinking their greening wouldn't turn quite as olive colored.

5. Storm was made in their old light brown resin from 2012 which is a richer and more natural looking color than their newer resin from 2014. You are absolutely right about the color turning a lovely olive green color. Sadly, I don't own a tan Fairyland doll to compare their possible greening.

But like many members have mentioned on this thread, most companies have UV protection resin now, and a resin's natural oxidation process is also pretty slow, so you won't have to worry about it for years. ;)

6. @Lady Alexiel very true! I will definitely be looking into getting myself a tan doll here in the future! Thank you all again for your help and your input on this! Everyone was super helpful :)

7. My light brown Iplehouse (Noctarcana Circus) Theo from 2010 doesn't have any noticeable greening... but it's sometimes hard to tell. I'll need to try and take a photo of him totally undress in strong light, I think! I think it can vary by the batch. I should go check out the greening thread myself...

Here's a recent photo--
      [​IMG]

8. Don't worry about greening, April. If you can't see it, your doll may not have any greening, and that's the best type of news any owner can get. ;)

9. ... but... they might be greening and I just haven't checked them out thoroughly??!!! Eh, well... not much I can do about it, if they are, I guess. I should try and check the next time I change them, though! (But I'm usually in a huge hurry and don't really take the time to get them in the light and look them over!). :sweat

I guess, as long I haven't noticed anything greening, I shouldn't worry too much! --But weird about how batches can differ like that. *_*

10. Your dolls are lovely. I heard that the darker the tan the less likely for it to fade? Does any one have issues with the tanned dolls getting uneven with age?

Thank you

11. I have a tan Peakswoods Brianna from 2010. I purchased her second-hand and the seller was completely honest in the ad about her tan being faded and greening. But she was so gorgeous and such a good price I adopted her anyway, figuring I could adjust any coloring issues with some judicious blushing. When the doll arrived, I fell in love with her just as she is and never changed a thing! That fading and greening was negligible to me and if anything, only added to her unique beauty.:) Throughout the late 20-teens I added more tan dolls to my collection, and none of them have faded or changed color.

[​IMG]

#31 PoeticSoul, Oct 24, 2021
      Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    12. She is beautiful, yeah I dont see any issues either. If you dont mention I would think she is good as new :)

13. I have an Iplehouse Kamau from probably about 2010, in their darkest tan shade, Ebony, and I’ve noticed no discolouration on him at all! Even better, I’ve been sanding him for mods and I haven’t seen colour chance between newly exposed resin from the modding, and his colour on the surface. (please note: a lot of companies do not recommend this. It’s something you do kind of at your own risk, as some companies used to make tan by having a layer of tan over a paler resin colour—it’s not common anymore, but this could be the case with my older Iplehouse man)

14. I have eight tan dolls from different companies dating from 2013 forward, and I've seen very few problems. The only one with an air bubble has it between his toes, and its a millimeter wide and not noticeable unless I look for it. One of them has some faint marbling, but its subtle enough that I don't remember which doll it is. I have a Fairyland doll in tan from early 2014 and my NS DIM doll from less than 6 months has yellowed more noticeably than she has. She doesn't seem to have changed color at all. The only one I've had noticeably fade to green is my Soom tan doll from 2013. Her face, hands, lower arms and feet have all faded to a greenish hue from being poorly protected from the sun for several months. She was my first, and I didn't realize how evil direct sunlight is when it comes to tan resin.

My other tan Soom doll ("bronze" and nearly 6 now) doesn't appear to have change color at all. Nor have the tan dolls from Granado or Dikadoll. My others might be too new to tell, but I now keep all my BJDs out of direct sunlight except for the occasional photo.

15. Talking about Tan resin problems, I got my DFH tan and they came in super shiny unlike the other doll bodies I've previously had. I've read that you can use MSC to make it matte but it can leave a discoloration. How do I prevent that?

16. I've never heard of msc causing discoloration as such. A thick layer or one that's been sprayed in less than optimal weather conditions might be visible but that's not a bigger problem than removing the msc and trying again. I coated my tan Myou Gina completely and her color looks fine. Msc UV cut also has the bonus of slowing the yellowing/greening process which is a huge plus for me :)

17. Ooo thank you for the tip. I'll try it on his body once rainy season is over :eusa_pray

18. I don't have many photos that I would be able to share, but I have quite a few tan people here. the one thing I can say about my 3 Iplehouse guys is that they went green. I honestly don't mind as I happen to be a woman of color and we come in so many shades. The green is actually more like olive tone, so it isn't that different to me. But that being said, my tan Limwha half elf is still terracotta tan and my tan Lishe from 15 years ago is still the same beautiful girl as then. :) No I don't keep them in a dark room, I have them out in a huge grouping in my bedroom on a long table.

19. There's already a lot of responses to this, but I noticed another question:

My oldest tan doll is from 2013 and I got him in a dark resin from Luts called "real skin brown". I check him often, and he doesn't seem to have faded, gone uneven, greened, or yellowed, at least not his brown parts. (He's a centaur, so the human half is "normal", and it's definitely yellowed with age.) Meanwhile, a random Mirodoll torso I happen to own (bought it to practice mods) has absolutely greened, and it's a somewhat lighter color. It's about as old as my centaur is, give or take a year.

So there might be something to the idea that darker resins age better. I wish I had more comparisons to make, but my other tans are new or dyed.