1. Please review the following thread.
    Please review DoA's Rules
    Dismiss Notice

Warning: Misleading eBay Auction

Jun 2, 2007

1. (Apologies if this is in the wrong spot and/or has been pointed out already. Please move or remove if it's not appropriate.)

There is an auction on eBay for a SD Girl Nono. It looks to be a perfectly fine doll and currently at a good price.

However, the seller claims she is Pureskin and she is, in fact, a much older doll and quite definitely not Pureskin.

The auction is here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260124549227

Take a look at the knees. They are the old style knees. If the seller hadn't cleverly hidden her ankle and hip joints it would be even more obvious.

For reference, the knees of SD dolls changed with the advent of Pureskin. Pureskin knees would look like either of the following links...

(early release) http://www.crysania.com/cassiel/pureskinknees01.jpg

(later release) http://www.crysania.com/cassiel/pureskinknees02.jpg

Note that someone specifically asked the seller if the doll is Pureskin and he restated that she is. Either he is clueless or (and especially considering he hid the tell-tale hip and ankle joints) he's intentionally misleading buyers.

Again, this would be a great doll but I'm hoping no one will pay current Pureskin prices for her thinking they will receive a Pureskin doll.
    2. Hi,
      I am the wife of the seller of Nono on Ebay that you are accusing of lying and " cleverly" hiding her features. The truth is much more simple- he's clueless and so am I. When I bought the doll at the end of 2004 or beginning of 2005, I ordered a new make up pure skin. So I thought that that's what I received. Now we are posting new pictures that I hope will clarify the point - although I am still clueless. I went through my files and saw my order as " pureskin" . If she's not, then I apologize.
      I have more dolls to sell as I am getting rid of my entire collection. I will make sure that the pictures leave no doubt of their origin.
      Best regards,
    3. Hi,

First of all, please don't put the blame on bunny13, as it was I who alerted her to your husband's auction, so the blame lies with me.

Also, please try to understand where we are coming from. This in fact a very common scam in our community -- we have had many scammers in the past who have said they are selling pureskin dolls but are in fact selling old resin dolls (which are worth a fair bit less) and have done what your husband has unwittingly but unfortunately done in his auction for your doll -- covered up the most revealing and obvious ball joints. So when your husband blithely stated that she was pureskin while hiding the tell-tale signs of old resin, we all immediately became suspicious.

However, as I posted to your husband in the auction, with the new pictures that you have posted, there is absolutely no doubt that your doll is made of old resin.

The pureskin dolls were not ever made with the type of joints that your doll has. This is not conjecture -- this is absolute fact.

Pureskin bodies look like this:
      As you can see, there are obvious differences: the ball joint at the top of the thigh is now a single piece with the leg, unlike on your doll; the knees are a very different shape; the ball-joint at the ankle is now enclosed within the calf piece, instead of being more 'beneath' it like on your doll. In addition (though it it hard to see) the ball-joints at the elbows and wrists have also been smoothed down, and also the 'arch' of the torso's back is much less pronounced.

All pureskin dolls look like this.

In the thread that you linked to, when they talk about the "first" pureskin version of dolls, the only difference was the knees. The knees of first pureskin dolls look like this:
      Which, as you can see, is also nothing like your doll. And everything else about the first pureskin dolls is exactly the same as in the pictures I linked above, included the single-piece thigh and the enclosed ankles.

I'm really very sorry, but there is absolutely no doubt that your doll is old resin, and if you emailed the pictures of her legs to Volks and asked them, they would tell you the same thing.

So please, if you would update your auction to reflect this fact, I'm sure a lot of people would be appreciative and would stop labelling you as a "scammer".

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask -- I have been in the fandom for about 6+ years and have been a Volks obsessive for all of this time, so I know a lot about their dolls.
    4. Hi Cassiel,
      Thanks for the help. My husband is doing his best to change the details on Ebay. It seems you know quite a lot about this so I thank you for the time you took to show me the differences. In the future if it is okay with you I will ask you to check the pictures of the other dolls I have for sale in order to make sure that they are what we think they are. I must say that I am a bit mifted as when I ordered Nono, she was supposed to be pureskin. I am now contacting Volks to ask to check the control registration number of the doll and ask why I was sent something she doesn't appear to be.
      I didn't appreciate having my husband being labelled a possible cheat as he genuinely did his best to do this. I of course understand that scams are quite common on Ebay.
      I apologize again for the confusion.
      Best regards,
    5. Hiya!

I am more than happy to have helped and honestly, I am very sorry to have to tell you that your doll is not what you thought she was. I understand how frustrating that can be. I would definitely contact Volks to discuss the issue with them as I am quite surprised that they would send an old resin doll to a person who had ordered a pureskin doll! I am sure it was a mistake at their end and I only wish that you had known at the time, I'm sure they would've been happy to rectify the situation immediately! I'm not sure what their reaction will be now that such a long time has passed but I am sure they will do their best to help you sort things out! Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

I am something of a Volks aficionado and have amassed a huge amount of knowledge and pictures over the years, so if there are any questions that you have about the dolls you are selling, please do not hesitate to ask me! I would be more than happy to help out. My email address is cassiel@crysania.com or you can PM me through Den of Angels.

Again, I am sorry that your husband was labelled a cheat, and I realise that the fault was absolutely not his. We don't blame people for not knowing enough about their dolls -- there are too many dolls for most owners to keep up with, it can be so hard to remember all the details, even just about the ones you own!

Just, please try to understand that because this is an expensive hobby with a lot of big ticket items, it has unfortunately attracted a large number of scammers and we are constantly hearing unfortunate stories from people who have bought dolls that end up not being what they paid for. We are also a very close-knit community and so we do our best to take care of each other and warn each other when we DO spot what looks like potential scams, because every time we hear about another person being scammed we remember that that could have been our hard-earned $500, or our close friend's' hard-earned $500. For such expensive items, sadly, it is better to be safe than sorry.

So while I am sorry that we accused your husband, please do try to understand that it appeared a reasonable line of thinking from our perspective. :sweat

Good luck with your sales!
    6. Thanks again for your help and expertise. I will definitely contact you before I put up any other doll for sale to make sure that this doesn't happen again. I understand the issues people can have when buying the dolls and it was actually one of the reason we had put a reasonable start price on Ebay _ I remembered what it was like to buy your first doll. Although I have lost my interest for them now due to other commitments I know that they inspire quite a passion.
      Have a good weekend,