1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What was the first sculpt you could recognize?

Dec 29, 2013

1. I've been looking at pictures and reading threads on DoA for a couple of years now, and I've found that I'm beginning to have an easier time recognizing sculpts. It was actually pretty exciting the first time I realized that I could identify a doll just by seeing it in at a picture!

How about you? Does recognizing sculpts come easily to you? Do you think any particular sculpts are more easily recognizable than others?

Also, do you remember the first sculpt that you could recognize in pictures? Was it a doll you owned? For me, I got good at recognizing Resinsoul Mei, because she was my first doll. But I was more excited when I started recognizing dolls I didn't own - the first for me was MNF Shiwoo. When I began to spend a lot of time researching BJDs, Shiwoo was everywhere, so it's not surprising that I got to know his face pretty well. Still, I was pleased when I started being able to identify sculpts in pictures.

I thought the recognizability of sculpts might be an interesting topic. I did a search, but if there's already a topic like this, feel free to move this to it! :D

2. I always find it difficult to recognize sculpts, especially female ones. The only ones I instantly recognize are the very unique ones, like IoS Jaguar and Infernale or the Breakaway sculpts from Fairyland. I think so many sculpts look so much alike, it makes things difficult, at least for me. Also, adding a face-up can completely alter a sculpt, in my opinion. It still amazes me how certain face-ups make some sculpts unrecognizable, but I like that about this hobby. I'm never very helpful on the "What Sculpt is This" threads, sadly.

3. I can easily identify minifee Chloe's and Celine's, just because they're so popular ^-^

4. The first thing I learned was probably Bory dolls. I could spot them from a mile away even if I didn't really like the size.

5. I'm not great at recognizing sculpts... sometimes I can't even recognize sculpts that I own--if the owner has a custom faceup or other mods! But there are sculpts I do recognize.

My first bjd was a Cerberus Project/Luts Elf El that I got in 2004... Els were everywhere then, and there were not that many bjds around, so he was easy. Same with Lishe, since I got an Elf Lishe as my second bjd. And I missed out on a Shiwoo, so I knew that one, even though I didn't own one.

It was a lot easier to know sculpts way back then, because there were only a few companies and they only had a few sculpts. NOW, I find it almost impossible to know what is what. I still recognize sculpts that interest me, though. Or really unusual sculpts.

6. Oh, I was terrible at recognizing any sculpts back in the day. Honestly, the first one I could recognize was my first doll - DM Kara Klum. He was pretty much it, the rest of them all looked the same to me. Close after that, definitely B&G Sapphira and a couple Migidoll sculpts, and that's about it for a long time XD
      It really took me forever to be able to tell anything apart >.<

7. I can tell sculpts that I'm interested in, or like more common sculpts for the companies I'm not as fond of. I think I could tell most cp dolls apart even before I got my cp lishe boy (my first doll) because I was looking at so many of them then...on the other hand I cant tell the new luts delfs apart cos I've not been keeping track of them. I can recognize most migi sd sized sculpts for far though...even if they're modded sometimes o.o I'm helpless at recognising many volks sculpt other than the common ones though. Haha. I can't really remeber which was the first sculpt I recognised but it was definitely one of the older cp delf boy sculpts...:>

8. I can spot sculpts really easily. It's probably just because I look at dolls a lot during the day. I can spot a doll from all the companies I like. Even if it's just the hands/body/other body parts, I can still do it. Sometimes I'm wrong, but I actually surprise myself with how much I know. I have a harder time if the doll in question is modded and also some of the much older Volks sculpts and companies no longer around like Abio Angel. I also tend to be worse at recognizing Chinese dolls. I don't remember the first sculpt I could really recognize, but Iplehouse is, in my opinion, the easiest to recognize. They have their own completely unique look (In my opinion) and I've never not known a doll was an Iplehouse.

9. Probably a RS/BBB. Like a Mei or Ju. You can't miss Ju with those ears lol. I think it's easier for me to tell a company rather than a sculpt. Like Shawnee said Iplehouse has its own look. I think RS/BBB has its own look too...pronounced noses being one of them. I can't think of any other descriptive factors of another company off the top of my head, but I can usually guess which company it is if it's somewhat well known.

10. After seeing so many dolls it's almost a second nature to recognize them instantly in photos, I think. I've been involving myself discreetly in the hobby since 2004 so that sort of a long time does it to you. I think the "very first" dolls I was able to recognize were the unoa Lusis and Sist. Lusis was the first doll I ever saw, or can remember consciously seeing and researching about, so it was only natural. After that it should be pretty much anything made by Dream of Doll.

Although I've become quite accustomed to so many different dolls and companies by now, I think I only started being able to recognize Volks sculpts in pictures very recently. Before, most of their sculpts looked almost the same to me; never mind the Dollfie Dreams! It has been easier than I expected though, to be honest. I think if one researches different kinds of dolls often they'll eventually become able to recognize them a lot easier. It's the same reason why so many people can recognize the really popular sculpts like Delf El and Minifee Chloe easily. They see a lot of them very often.

11. When I started this hobby, almost three years ago, I recognized easily only some Obitsu sculpt, because it was the first company that interested me and I browsed a lot of owner's pictures. Now I find easy to recognize almost all of the Resinsoul, Withdoll and Doll Chateau sculpts, but I think it depends 50% for the "particularity" and 50% for my interest in the company.

12. I can recognize sculpts quite easily, but there are companies whose sculpts i've never seen before, though they're not unpopular or something. I'm just not interested in them, i didn't see them much, i couldn't tell them apart to save my life, so these ones apparently i don't recognize. Maybe i could tell the company though, idk. At least i think i know more sculpts than i don't know.

As for that particular doll i recognized the first... This was five years ago. I couldn't remember it not for love or money.

13. I am exactly the same! I remember when I first looked at dolls and had no clue what they were. Now recognising sculpts for me is pretty easy. My first sculpt I recognised was the MNF Chloe well she is is pretty easy to distinguish...
      It very ironic that your first doll was a Resin Soul Mei because I'm saving up for her as my first girlie!

14. Littlefee Ante. Kaye Wiggs dolls all look alike to me, yet as a collective they are easy to regonize.

15. First sculpt I could easily recognise was definately the old Volks f-28/Chris/Lucas/etc. It was the only one I liked back in the day. I'm also quite familiar with all the old CP Delfs (El, Shiwoo, Chiwoo, Yder, Soony, Miyu and so on), I guess because they dominated the hobby back when I was most active =)

16. Oh what a funny question! I've never thought about it before. I think the first sculpt I was able to recognize was Dollshe Saint, because of the two people I started following, first thing I did, getting interested in the hobby xD I do tend to recognize (luckily) the sculpts I'm interested in or have on my wishlist, mostly through the feeling of "Gosh what a beautiful sculpt! I want it, what is it? Oh, well no wonder I liked it so much" x)
      Dolls I really can't see the difference between are almost every MNF, LTF and pukifee Fairyland sculpts. Though I can see they're from Fairyland, I can't distinguish what mold they are. Except for Ante and Mirwen, since those are the ones I like. I can also tell the differences between different EID men from Iplehouse, probably because they're so handsome :'3

17. Zeodyte, I totally agree that the same sculpt with different faceups can look completely different! That really is one of the coolest things about this hobby :)

senbonzakura1000, I think you'll like RS Mei :) She's so pretty and versatile! We have two of her at my house (one belongs to my wife) and they hardly resemble each other at all because of the way we've styled them and their faceups.

I agree that it's easier to identify sculpts by company than by specific sculpt. I also get really excited when I can look at a picture and say "That looks like a Kid Delf!" even if I can't tell which one it is :) Volks is one of the hardest for me to recognize in terms of
      companies I see all the time.

18. I'm personally pretty terrible at recognizing sculpts! :sweat I can get the really unusual/distinctive ones, where they have odd ears/open mouths/other particularly unique features, but I'm awful with other ones. I'm bad enough that I pulled the faceplates from my three newest dolls and promptly mixed them up... and spent five minutes trying to work out who was who before finally realizing they had their names etched on the inside of the plates! (Luckily, I'd actually gotten it right... after five minutes of comparing them and looking at the pictures on the company site.)

Every once in a while I get one, and I'm pleased with myself, but I'll probably never be a bit of help in the "what doll is this" threads.

19. For me it has to be IslandDoll Amy and ResinSoul Mei. Both of which I own though, so not really the best person to ask "what's this sculpt?".

20. Without a doubt, DOD E-An and Dollzone Stramonium.

...on top of pretty much all of Fairyland's collection.