1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When The Doll You Want Is Sold Out

Aug 18, 2010

1. I've looked this sort of topic up, and I couldn't find anything, so if there is one, or if this fits somewhere else on DoA, Mods, you know what to do:sweat.

Recently, I went to purchase my first BJD (from Dollmore). After having some issues with the site, they said the one I wanted to buy was sold out:o! I said I was equally pleased with getting the boy version (as all dollmore kids come in female and male versions), but my parents told me to hold on and wait till they put her back in stock.

Also, this wasn't any 'special', or 'limited' version. Just a regular one.

This sort of piqued my interest after the initial shock that I had to wait some more. And I began to think up some questions:

1) Has a doll you've been saving for sold out at the last minute? How did you feel?

2) If you could, did you wait until it got back in stock?

3) Or did you buy a different doll of equal/lesser value, or continue saving for a more expensive doll?

(EDIT): PayPal got the invoice from the company, and I'm getting the doll (which came in stock again for some reason).

2. 1) Has a doll you've been saving for sold out at the last minute? How did you feel?

No, but some of my favorite dolls are LE's, and I really want to get some... of the ones already sold out. ;3;

If it wasn't an LE... yeah, sure! IDK why it would be out of stock if it wasn't an LE tho... since most of them are made to order.

3) Or did you buy a different doll of equal/lesser value, or continue saving for a more expensive doll?

Nah, unless one showed up that I really really liked.

3. 1) Has a doll you've been saving for sold out at the last minute? How did you feel?
      She actually sold out when I went on the site to go put her on my wishlist and show others which one I wanted! Fortunately, I noticed that Angell Studio posted up "another version" of her and thus fell in love with the wig she wore in the promo pics, giving me more ideas of what I wanted to do. It was still frustrating to see that it sold out! Even though their distributor on ebay STILL has the doll listed!

I was lucky enough to see they posted up another version of her just with different promo pics on the website. I didn't want to get her "halloween" version either since I didn't quite favor the pink skin look on her.

I'm hoping the "other version" they have is the exact same thing as the original they have posted up. Otherwise I'm just going to have to deal with it. Because it's worth the same amount of money as the one that sold out, so it's not like I'm ripping off BOTH my arms to pay for it. It still makes me VERY, VERY hesitant.

4. Sometimes, 'out of stock' just means the company needs to enter a new quantity on the web page. I think the template or setup that most of them use won't let them just take endless orders -- I think the shopping cart system treats everything as LE whether it is or not. ;) So usually, it's not a reason to panic. I'll wait for a few days to see if they restock it this way first. If they don't seem to restock it, I'll just ask on Q&A.

Sometimes I can just browse here to see if someone else has asked, what they were told, etc. I have a fondness for Soom and Iplehouse, and usually the questions I have about an item are ones a bunch of people have, so someone has already asked and rec'd an answer by the time I even think of the question. I try to do this first -- or at least see if anyone else has already asked the same question on Q&A, to try to avoid having the same question asked a hundred times of the person at the company that has to answer it.

There's one doll I really wanted that was a basic edition, but sold out with no warning, and was immediately discontinued. So I know it really can suck. Hopefully you'll be able to get your girl with minimal fuss. ;) (Dollmore is pretty helpful about those things.)

5. 1) Has a doll you've been saving for sold out at the last minute? How did you feel?

Yes, very annoying, but I have managed to find the ones I wanted eventually on the secondary market.

Definitely. I want the ones I want and substitutes are not entirely satisfactory.

I am very patient when pursuing specific dolls and am content to wait.

6. Sold out doesn't mean "can never get" in the dollyworld. Most of the time they just have to restock, but even with limiteds, you can find them in the marketplace.
      It sucks obviously when the last one gets snagged away right in front of you, but it doesn't mean it's the end of the road.

7. Good news: paypal sent me an invoice, and I'm getting the doll (phew)

8. 1) Has a doll you've been saving for sold out at the last minute? How did you feel?
      For LE, yeah and that annoys me a lot...............

For regular, never happened yet

For LE, you will never get it unless you search in the market outside but it would be more expensive
      For regular, I will wait (as long as I didn't change my mind ^^)

For LE, I'll try hard not to think about it and thinking a lot of the price in the marketplace (that's really help, in my case)
      For regular, if I really love the mold then yes

9. 1) Has a doll you've been saving for sold out at the last minute? How did you feel?
      YES!!! I was saving for a soom Dia head and when me and my split partner were about to order they were sold out, when we inquired about this soom just replied "oh sorry we just decided to discontinue Dia in white without telling anyone. But that you for your deep love for our dolls!" I was so upset with them... still am,...

I would have waited, gladly, but they said they would never make her again

I did end up spending my savings on another doll, but I am always searching the mp for a ws head for sale. As soon as I have the money I will put up a wtb

10. i'll either buy a 'replacement' OR if i wanted it REALLY badly then i'll go look for it on the MP :)
      but i'm really not patient so usually i just get another one instead xD

11. Standard edition run out? Wait. Why compromise because of impatience?

Limited run out? That's normal. Secondhand or nothing. Nothing actually means "wait for the next limited."

12. 1) Has a doll you've been saving for sold out at the last minute? How did you feel?
      Nope. I would imagine feeling a bit disappointed.

Unsure since so far I like dolls from Volks, that goes through lottery. Occasionally, they have left overs after the lottery. You can see on their website.

I'm patient and new dolls come out so often. Depends on whether I really love that doll or not.

13. 1) Has a doll you've been saving for sold out at the last minute? How did you feel?
      It made me very unhappy.

It was limited so I will be watching the secondary market.
      I'm still looking for her.​

14. 1) Has a doll you've been saving for sold out at the last minute? How did you feel?
      I havent encountered this yet becuase all the dolls I want are either still in stock or long sold out.

I would but if it was a limited edition I would try to find an auction of it depending on what company sold it.

This would have been the likely solution haha I am too impatient to wait too long. I always tell myself I will manage to save up again for it and well buy another one I wanted.

15. 1) Has a doll you've been saving for sold out at the last minute? How did you feel?
      No, but I had dolls that
      1. I came across them while browsing websites and I fell in love with the sculpt, but they were already sold out before I came in.
      2. I saw a newly release LE doll (Soom Monzo for e.g.) that I love but sadly had not saved enough to buy him before he sold out.

Yup, if the store will ever re-stock them. but I guess some stores don't restock? and for limited editions, it'd be hard, unless you browse the marketplace for second hand or so.

It depends if I come across a sculpt I like and if I have the money. Doesn't necessarily have to be cheaper or more expensive.

16. 1) Has a doll you've been saving for sold out at the last minute? How did you feel?
      Yes. I was absolutely horrified because, while he wasn't meant to be limited, the first run was LE5 and there was no indication of when he would be produced again.

Nah. My friend suggested I try the marketplace... and I got a seller immediately. O_O~<3

I got him in the end, from a local seller too. ^_^

17. 1) Has a doll you've been saving for sold out at the last minute? How did you feel?

Not with anything I've been saving for. Usually when I see something that I want that badly, I'll just put it on a credit card or figure something out so I don't miss out. I've found some dolls that were LE and sold out before I got into the hobby. Still it was very frustrating at first. I've since found that the majority of time the LE doll tends to come back. It might be a slight change as in a slightly different face-up, different clothing, etc. There are only a few that are so limited that they don't return. In that case, I still don't stress because eventually you can find someone selling it.

For the one I am thinking of, I emailed the company and after he had been sold out for well over a year, the company told me they would be re-releasing him within 6 months.

I've been tempted to cave in and settle, but I realize that just buying something to make up for something else never works. You regret spending the money and since it isn't something you really want, you tend to not enjoy it as much. I am patient so I can just wait until what I want is available or I see something else I want as much.

18. 1) Has a doll you've been saving for sold out at the last minute? How did you feel?
      Yes,he's out but.. :(I want a Black Code 02. but I got to know him very last minute-_-; the day after the last day of sale-.-..............

It's limited=_=|| I'll be happy if DOD restocks...?

Nope....I'll go by feel :) If I like the doll but I'll still make sure I save a sum for the one I always wanted,in case I see him somewhere like Yahoo Auction and I can get him :D <3

19. 1) Has a doll you've been saving for sold out at the last minute? How did you feel?
      Yeah, I was saving for a Limhwa Mano about a year back and then they announced that he was going to be discontinued within a month or something like that. Obviously, I didn't get to save up enough for him in time so I was pretty devastated about it as he had been on the top of my wish list.

I couldn't as Mano was discontinued but if it was just a case of waiting for the company to restock him, I wouldn't have a problem with waiting.

I ended up purchasing a Soom Chrom from the MP and I am pretty happy with the purchase. I didn't stop looking for Mano on the MP though. About two months ago, I remembered seeing a tanned Mano being offered for sale on the MP. Of course, as luck would have it, I didn't have the money to purchase him. About a week later, I think, I went back to look for him on the MP, just out of curiosity and I noticed that he was no longer offered for sale but there were other dolls being sold by the same seller. I was curious and decided to ask if Mano was sold and to my pleasant surprise, she said no and that he was still available, and she allowed me to purchase him via layaway. So I have him via layaway now and I cannot wait for him to arrive home. He is worth the wait. I would never have thought I'd be able to get hold of a tanned Mano. I'm really psyched about it.

So, if ever a doll I want gets sold out; if there's a chance the company will restock, I will most definitely wait - even if it takes a whole year. I would definitely wait.

20. 1) Has a doll you've been saving for sold out at the last minute? How did you feel?

Not yet. But I do fell in love with one sculpt which had been sold out for quit a long time and his next release version is not the same as I want. There are many difference in between.(well, you can find out which doll is this in my signature) :atremblin.....That's bit frustrated me at first, and then I realised that I can get him somewhere else such as the marketplace on DoA.... The only thing I do is just put him on wishing list and save up enough money. Sounds great, isn't it~~~:thumbup

I'll place him in my wishing list and post threads on BBS to find if anybody wants to sale him first. Of course if somebody is selling him in a good price, why I'm going to wait for another release?;)

No, I won't do that because it's definately not the one I want. This is not for money but for a sense. I'll looking for any possible place where this doll might appear and get him with whatever price I can afford.
      You should know there's no alternative for your true love.:clover

~~