1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Collection of Floating Heads: Planning or Collection?

Aug 20, 2012

1. So what do you think? Do you collect floating heads with a future in mind for them? Or is your collection heads in and of itself a Collection?

I personally have several floating heads, mostly minimees, that I have great plans for. I even purchased bodies for two of them. But, with the lack of time to implement my plans and that fact I am still searching for and adding interestings heads, I am starting to wonder if I like the collecting heads as much as whole dolls. Is it just me or do others have growing head collections too?

What kind of heads do you have or look for?

Do you have mulitples of the same head?

What were your original plans for the heads?

Will you continue to search for and purchase interesting heads whether or not they become part of a doll?

What is the main reason you have not made your heads into anything yet?

(Mine is I work long nights, sleep all day, and volunteer at several cat rescues on my day off. Well, retirement is only three years away. LOL)

Thank for your input.
      LostKitten

2. This is an interesting question; I don't have any floating heads, but I think I'd get kind of antsy if I had too many.

3. I have one floating head, a sleeping head that came with one of my Bambicrony Emilys. I was glad to have her as an option, since it took me nearly nine months to find a pair of eyes I liked for the open eyed Emily. But since I found the eyes, I haven't taken her out of the box once. I feel kind of bad about it. I don't think I'd purposely purchase a floating head to keep without a body again.

4. What kind of heads do you have or look for?

Basically anything that I like. It does kind of feel like I've got something of a head collection going on. 8 floating heads vs 4 full dolls.

Do you have multiples of the same head?

Yes, I currently have two sets of twins. Two LLT Roderich heads and two DZ Celine heads.

Every single head is/was meant to be a character in my current doll story except for one head I got for free during an event. Not sure what I'm going to do with him yet. Another head originally purchased to be a specific character is likely going to be re-shelled as I found another full doll that I think will work better for my needs that I'll buy in the future.

Will you continue to search for and purchase interesting heads whether or not they become part of a doll?

Probably. Pretty much every head I purchased I did so with the intent of making them a full doll eventually. If or when that happens is another thing entirely. So it's possible that I may buy more heads in the future that won't see full dolldom for quite some time if ever. I tend to get sidetracked with new projects all the time, whether I'm physically working on them or just in my head. Sometimes just knowing what I want something to look like is a enough for me. And once I have the heads, well there not going anywhere so to speak, unless I sell them, so I can take as long as I want putting them together.

Money. Heads are generally a lot cheaper to get then bodies. Many of the heads I have were either limited or being discontinued, so it was a now or pay a whole bunch more for it later. Not to mention four of the heads I have came from companies that only sell heads.

5. Thanks for the responses all. I was looking over my doll family list to add in the new LillyCat and suddenly became aware of my growing floating head collection. I have also added my name to three GO's that may or may not become a reality...David Bowie, Keanu Reeves,a nd Ron Perleman. The funny thing is most of the heads I have are minimees of real actors. I actually only have a couple of actual doll head...A Soom Kivi and a recenty purchased replacement head for my Doll Chateau Alberta. The original has a small chip so I wanted a new perfect one. So I wondered if I was the only one with a collection of heads intentionally collected.

I really do have plans for all of them eventually.

6. I currently have one floating head, and the only reason he is a floating head is because his body hasn't arrived yet. I've ordered it and it is on the way!

7. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      Discontinued or hard to find heads. I just got a Lumedoll Bellatrix head--she's been discontinued for years, and I was so excited to find one! I also bought an Elfdoll sleeping Vivian when those were going out of production. And I buy heads when I don't want the default bodies. I love Elfdoll heads (I also have a Eun-A on the way) but the bodies don't thrill me, so my Elfdoll girls will be hybrids.

My Impldoll Akasha came with a free duplicate head, which I'm planning to give a very stylized faceup. I probably wouldn't buy multiples, though.

To keep them in a box and feel slightly guilty until I bought bodies for them :) My Bellatrix is on a temporary Resinsoul body so I can play with her.

I tend to buy heads more as a spur-of-the-moment thing, but if it was a rare doll I'd been looking for, I would buy another head.

Money and space. My doll cabinet is crowded! And bodies are expensive. I also haven't fully decided on which body I want for them. I do want to turn them into whole dolls eventually.

8. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      Discontinued/Limited heads that are hard to find otherwise. My collection includes two Luts Winteries ('09, '11) and an IoS Sezz. My '09 is due to get a body soon though.

Nope, in the same manner I don't have any duplicate dolls.

Get them their bodies as soon as I can afford them. The plans still stand as they are.

Yes, if I can find heads of dolls in my wishlist. All my doll heads are planned to be actual dolls, however, so there are no plans for any random heads to join the family.

Finances; also a limited doll that stole my heart and I just had to have not long ago which depleted my doll fund as sad as that is. >_<

9. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      Cuirrently, my floating collection consists of BBD Waltz, DZ Mo-B, DZ Mo-2, 5star Edmund, AoD Tao Hua Dao, Only-Doll Lu Er, DoD Dream Head 9 and Leekeworld Koji. and Dikadoll Vampire Ruber on the way.

Only DZ Mo, and that's because the little Mo was my first doll, loved the head, hated the body, so when i upgraded him, I couldn't bear to part with the head. It's more of a memorial than anything. The floating SD Mo head will be Loki's son when he grows up.

Same as current plans. with the exception of the little Mo, I plan to get bodies for them all.

I don't intend to. I have one I'm not happy with and want to swap out for a different one, but other than that, i plan to start getting bodies.

Money. Several of the heads I wanted were event heads, limited or discontinued. They were perfect for my characters, but I didn't have the funds to get a full doll. So I grabbed the heads while I could to hold onto until I could get the bodies. My Tao Hua Dao, Lu Er and Ruber have bodies on the way/layaway. The rest, I hope to finish in the next year, except for the mo heads. the little one is just a keepsake, the big one, I'm waiting several years for the character to "grow into" it.

10. What kind of heads do you have or look for?

I don't ever buy just heads from the company - but when I see a head of a sculpt I like on Ebay or in the Marketplace, I can't resist! I suppose I am looking for heads that I can easily buy a body for. Oh, and I got a couple of heads in events, too.

Nope! I don't must like to own twins.

Usually, the plan is to find a nice body as soon as possible.

I'm trying to stop buying heads at the moment, because it really, really bothers me to have more than one rolling head. It makes me nervous and sort of unhappy.

Money, mostly. If it is a choice between buying a whole new doll or buying a body for a rolling head, the doll often wins out. I am currently working on two rolling heads, actually... It bothered me so much to have these two rolling heads that I "beheaded" two of my complete dolls and gave the bodies to the rolling heads. Of course, that just means that now I again have two heads left over.

11. Interesting questions, I've often thought that "head collecting" can become a seperate hobby in itself, similar to a figurine collection or whatever...

What kind of heads do you have or look for? - I currently have two Souldoll floating heads; I bought one because she was a time-sensitive limited and I couldn't afford the full doll (Penelope) at the time. Luckily they offered the head for sale seperately! My other head was a free gift as part of their last Christmas event. You could choose the sculpt, and I knew I wanted a Maribell eventually, so it was logical really. Aside from those situations, I would consider buying a floating head if the doll was on my wishlist already, but only if they would otherwise be difficult to find/I couldn't afford the full doll/it was an exceptionally good deal.

Do you have mutiples of the same head? - Nope. I do have two identical full dolls in different skin tones tho

What were your original plans for the heads? - I plan to buy bodies for both one of these days.

Will you continue to search for and purchase interesting heads whether or not they become part of a doll? - No, I wouldn't personally buy heads for the sake of it; if I bought every head sculpt I had ever found interesting, there'd be so many I'd have to build a special room full of cabinets in my palace for them all, a la Princess Mombi 8D I can see how that could be a valid approach to BJD collecting though, if you had a particular interest in that aspect. I find it's a good way to differentiate between sculpts I just "like" and those that really ~call to me~ - i.e. do I want this head just because it's interesting?

What is the main reason you have not made your heads into anything yet? - every time I've had enough money lately to buy the two bodies, I seem to have suffered the terrible misfortune of running into some especially excellent deals on limited dolls I've loved long time ;) so there's that, but also I'd like to hold out until Christmas because Souldoll always have really good events.

12. What kind of heads do you have or look for?

1) Projectheads: heads that I intend to hybrid and/or customize.
      2) The original heads that went with the bodies that I have hybrided. The collector in me likes the idea of keeping the 'original' head as an extra just for the sake of completion.
      3) Extra faceplates for characters.

With my ever growing headcollection I am reconsidering both 1 and 2 though, especially 2. It feels kind of ridiculous to keep heads just for the sake of completion knowing they are never going to be used.

Yes, both projectheads and the extra faceplates for characters.

I had plans for modification and hybriding, but as I like my collection to not grow bigger for a while I'm not sure if that's ever going to happen.

Not sure. When I buy a body for a hybrid it seems just the wisest choice to also buy the head, in case the hybrid doesn't work out and I need to sell the body. A full doll is an easier sale then just a body (it depends on the brand though, MNF for example sells very well as just the body).

I'm happy with what I have now. I don't want more dolls, and giving a head a body means an extra full doll.

13. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      I have this thing with Fairyland's Chloe, and I always think I need more varieties/heads of her, and heaven help me if I get ahold of more sleeping Chloe's to mod.... I like to get cheap sleeping heads to mod eyes open. I also look for heads of my grail dolls to see if I can afford them and horde them until I can get bodies.

Yes. I like to have Chloe heads. It's become my thing, and I've given up understanding it.

With Zoey, she was my second mod and I ended up liking her and her face up she stole Munin's body and now all the Chloe's are on bodies. I don't know what I'll do with my other floaters. They were supposed to get bodies but I doubt I will have money for that for a long time. :P

Yes, I most likely will.

Money, mainly. There isn't enough of it for the bodies I need or will likely end up needing. >.<

14. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      I dont think the mods will like the "look for" part of this sentence, since it might be seen as a wtb.

Most of my floating heads are event heads/ (sleeping) faceplates/ gifts, mainly from Fairyland, but also a Wintery head, a Junga skull and some others. Most recent head is a surprise head, I asked the seller if I could split and get just the body, but she send me the MNF head too!

I think the Junga skull is the only one I've bought.

I had three Ante multiheads, but sold one.

For some I intend to get a body, some I intend to do an eye opening on, others ive sold or given away.

If I like the head enough, I would.

Time, money and most recently pregnancy. For the skull I got a body once, only the original head insisted on keeping it.

15. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      Sculpts that appeal to me, especially if they have a nice/unique/interesting faceup.

Not the exact same head, but I have a Migi Miho and a Migi Vamp Miho.

Just obtaining heads that I eventually wanted to get bodies for.

I will always want to buy interesting heads, but that also comes with the intention of buying them bodies.

Because I'm saving for more important things in life.

16. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      Heads I like whose bodies don't appeal to me or wonderful heads I love that don't come with bodies.

No. I prefer not to have duplicates of dolls, although I might have both an open eyed and a sleeping head for the same doll.

Buy bodies for them.

I don't buy heads unless I plan for them to be complete dolls.

I buy bodies for them as I find appropriate ones and as finances allow. Some projects take longer than others because the size/proportion must be acceptable for me and sometimes I have to wait a long time to find a good resin match.

17. I've decided on a compromise: some of my dolls share bodies. At this point I have pretty much each body type I might need, so no more bodies or full dolls for me. However, I can still indulge in heads!

18. I had a pretty vast collection of floaters not so long ago but have been cutting down. I kind of realised that I feel guilty about them and prefer a full doll... errrr, there lies the problem: I fall in love with lots of different sculpts but only have limited space for dolls and as I only collect SDs, that's an issue. At the moment all of my 4 bodies have 2 heads, so that's not so bad :)

19. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      Mostly more 'realistic' type heads, though there are exceptions.

NO. NEVER.

I want the hybridize them, which is why they aren't just full dolls.

Mmmmmmno, if a doll (or doll head) isn't on my wishlist, I do not buy it.

I'm a minor and I don't have a job, so y'know.... MONEY....

20. What kind of heads do you have or look for?
      I tend to look for heads sculpts I love that also suit the specific characters I have in mind, with the aim of either getting a body later or hybridizing them. However, I do have heads (like event heads) with no intention of getting a body for them. These heads will become part of my individual floating head collection, which will not have their own body (though they could occasionally share body).

No.

Some heads will eventually get a body for themselves (msDoll Drayton, Souldoll H.C. Yurr, etc) whereas others will just become part of my floating head collection because I have limits in place for the dolls and heads. One (Leeke Patrick) was supposed to have a body but that plan has since changed because I have a SD limit of 7 and I'm running out of "dolly slots" lol.

I have a separate head limit of 7 too so I guess yes, but only if I really love that sculpt and have characters in mind for it. My Luts event head still doesn't have a name and character but that'll change soon. XD

For those I already plan to get a body for them, I'm just waiting for a good time to buy one, though I just paid off a layaway for a body for my Yurr head, couldn't wait anymore lol. For the rest of them, it's due to my dolly limits and because the characters are currently not major enough to justify paying for a full doll yet (basically, I'm broke rofl).