1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Favorite Quirks and Details

Feb 3, 2023

1. I'm not sure if this topic already exists (after a rudimentary search) but I thought it might be fun to have a place to discuss the little things you love about particular dolls. Those charming hands, funny little feet, especially cute belly button. What doll sculpts do you own or maybe are just admiring (head and or body) that have a special detail that really charms your heart? Maybe you almost forget it, but you handle them after a while and you fall in love all over again!
      Everyone is looking for something different and it can be nice to take great joy in unexpected places. :aheartbea

#1 AlisonVonderland, Feb 3, 2023
      Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
    2. Kinoko Juice Kiki and Jill have one big toe lifted up and the other big toe pushed down. I think it's unbelievably adorable to add that detail, even if it offers no tactical advantage.

3. I have noticed that on a kiki before and I agree! It's so charming :D

Last night as I was undressing a doll to make a different hybrid for myself I found myself once again admiring the belly button on my Angell Studio 71.5 body. I never thought about all the stylistic ways a navel could be sculpted before this hobby but I've encountered several that I just adore because they seem very creatively and tenderly rendered. My dolls don't dress with midriff exposed so I forget these and rediscover them frequently. :XD:
      Other great navels I remember are:
      First version Dollzone 1/3 girl and Bambicrony Bellezza girl

4. I adore the hands and just overall body size of Argodoll boys. I own an SD, and the details in the hands are nice. I love the Argodoll Zet's cheekbones, too? There are a lot of gaunt-looking high-cheekboned dolls, but the stylization of the Zet is very beautiful and I really love the slope of his cheeks.

I also really like my DIM Gayane's body. The engineering is nice, but then the little details like the realistic knees and the elegant hands really pull it all together. Her breasts are also a lot bigger than most doll chests in comparison to her body, and it's nice seeing a body type like that on an MSD. And then of course the hooded eyes on her sculpt are just perfect. I love hooded eyes and they give her such a striking look.

I could go on about my other dolls, but I'd just be talking about their hands, lol. I really love doll hands. Even if they're really stylistic and chubby like many anime doll hands, they're very good.

5. I'll take any opportunity to talk about one of my favorite sculpts in the hobby, Dollzone Benjamin! His pointy ears, ski-jump nose, and frowny expression are all kinda obvious, but a feature in his sculpt I didn't know I'd love so much are his eyes, particularly his undereye area. He kinda has sculpted undereye bags, which can tilt his "grumpy" expression into a sad/melancholic/sleepy one, and it's become my favorite feature of his (well, behind his nose and ears, the first two things about him I fell in love with). Because of just how stylized he is, I did have a second thought that he wouldn't fit many different aesthetics or expressions, but he's MUCH more versatile than I gave the little guy credit for!

6. Big Baby hands! And wrists! And ankles! I love big dollies that have that adorable chub. Gimme those wrists bigger than my thumb please. And thick resin to boot! Luts Baby Delf hands are my absolute favorite sausage fingers, and Rosenlied Holiday's Child are such solid posers.

I wanna give some more love for Luts, especially their elf sculpts. They have such diversity in ear type! Including droopy elf ears. I wish their bigger elf sculpts weren't always limited but my wallet thanks them for this. :XD:

Also any company that makes bodies with those sort of locking mechanisms in the wrists and ankles so they can be swapped or dressed easily has my love and support. <3

7. I just love the over-the-top grins on Pipos Cheshire Cat dolls! I have two of them and their smiles always make me laugh! So many of my dolls have neutral expressions which make them very versatile but I've notIced that the dolls with adorable smiles have been grabbing my attention lately! I want to get one of a BB Flocking's Shoohoo dolls with their irresistible smiles someday. She just had a pre-order but I missed it!

8. Zaoll has big toes that point upwards. It makes fitting shoes annoying sometimes, but it's really cute barefoot.

I haven't owned a Soom Idealian in ages, but I loved that the head connector is a resin brain rather than s-hook, and that they have sculpted fingerprints!

Another I haven't had in awhile, but BlueBlood Doll hips are to die for.

I love my OfButterfliesNThings Paulette's plus size body, how she has the belly curve and not-so-perky breasts, quite realistic for bigger girls.

And of course, the Volks One Touch hands and feet! It's SO convenient to just set that s-hook on that little "shelf" slot in the wrist/ankle balls and change clothes! I wish every doll had that.

9. Honestly I love magnetic hands or feet because it makes changing them in and out so easy.
      And I am a sucker for elf ears. So if I like the ear, chances are I will get the sculpt.
      Also, I just really love the sculpt of my Soom Corun - he is just very unique.

10. YAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

11. I love hands, well-sculpted doll hands have always been something I obsess over. So much so, that my fourth BJD, I purchase specifically because I fell in love with the hand's sculpt (I love the artist's aesthetics as a whole, but wanted my first BJD to have those hands, so I purchased the whole doll just for that reason. It didn't work out in the end, but the doll became my favorite BJD of all time!). I love realistic human anatomy from an artistic perspective, without any sexual desire to speak off --- I love well sculpted, realistic features on toys, which is why I feel I've gone back to focusing mainly one 1:6 action figures. I still love looking at realistic-ish BJD bodies, but those are still not there (at least for me, proportionately more than anything), but there's still times when I feel like I should be hoarding hands separately, just because I love a lot of them so much. I'm always tempted by Fairyland's hands sculpts, they are lovely, and sell those separately so it's kind of hard to resists sometimes. I also enjoy shading/blushing hands quite a bit, so I try to avoid actually hoarding hands, because I know I already hoard too many other things, I don't need one more thing to hoard.

The hands I fell in love so hard, that I had to purchase the whole doll, just to steal the body for my first male BJD, are the Limhwa Limho Mano's hands. They were the first male, masculine looking hands that didn't seem sausagey-fingered, nor exaggerated. Just felt right, beautifully done and realistic.

I only have terrible shots of his hands, it seems. Although, I am terrible at taking photos, so maybe that's the reason... His body blushing/shading is at least ten years old, so it's really old and faded or has started to chip in some areas. Particularly the knuckles.
      [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Head sculpts...

I completely adore Dollstown Mui - his full lower lip, the curve of his cheek, and mournful eyes. I don't think there's any boy head sculpt out there that looks remotely like him. (Though if you find a candidate, I'm willing to be challenged on this. ;))

Crobidoll Lance's mouth was sculpted so that the expression of the lips changes depending on what angle you look at it. My Lance girl can look slightly solemn/frowny, slightly smiling, or serene faced, depending on whether I view her from slightly above or slightly below. She's very expressive that way.

Dollstown Rhea has asymmetric eyewells: very subtle, but it makes one eye juuuust that little bit more narrowed/squinty than the other. I discovered this when I painted my Rhea's faceup, and now I can't unsee it. In some ways it's a flaw in the sculpting (Torre of Dollstown sculpts his dolls by hand); on the other hand, it gives Rhea a quirky, somewhat mercurial expression. Sometimes she looks endearing, sometimes a bit cheeky or skeptical, and occasionally, like she's on the cusp of throwing a tantrum.

Bodies...

I can't sing enough praises of Dollstown's 15year boy (the old pre-2013 version, not the current one available from DT, which is quite different) and 15year girl, both of which have been out of production for years. Both bodies are aesthetically perfect in my eyes. Shapely long legs. Torsos and proportions that are fit and idealized, but are willowy and have a bit of softness to the sculpting that still suggest youthfulness. Large-ish hands, small-ish feet. (I should also say that I had my 15year girl modded to reduce her breasts to almost nothing, because I didn't like the larger breasts on the original sculpt.)

I especially love the 15yr boy's hands: not mirror imaged, in quite different poses, sculpted with detail but not overdone. And such versatile hands too: I can get my boy to hold all kinds of things and he looks realistic while doing it.

And sorry if I sound like a creep saying this :sweat but I appreciate that their private parts are well sculpted too. An Jonghak of Dollstown really took care with every detail.

Aesthetically perfect, and also great at posing - they may be single-jointed but they hold all their poses very naturally. I've played a LOT with these dolls and put them into all kinds of poses, and never once thought they looked stiff or unnatural.

Also, Dollstown resin feels top quality and deliciously heavy in my hands. I just love, love, love playing with these dolls because they're so pleasurable to hold and pose. I think I've been quite ruined by Dollstown's dense resin, because now I take note of how dolls weigh and feel in my hands, and anything made from less dense/lighter resin just... feels less nice.

#12 aihre, Feb 4, 2023
      Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
    13. Teeth!

OMG, dolls with teeth are my weakness. My first doll was Dollzone Carter, and I fell in love with the sculpt because of the teeth. Little tiny fangs poking out, little buck teeth, just a hint of teeth showing in a smile. I just think little doll teeth are adorable!

14. Volks SD/SD13 high heel feet -- how perfectly the little toes curl in, just like a foot inside a pointy-toe high-heel shoe :kitty1

15. For specific doll sculpts, I love my SD Victorique's lacrimal caruncle. I feel like most sculpts don't possess the same amount of detail she has on hers. I also love the upper central tubercle on my SD-F-95's lips, it sticks out quite far and looks adorable. As for bodies, it's less of sculpting and more of the weight and... solidness? of the Volks SD10 bodies. They feel so sturdy.

16. My Charm Doll girl’s hands with their delicate palm creases, the intensely pink cheeks and shiny teeth of my Huajing Kui Ning girl, and the lips of my Ai Xi, the boopable nose of my Shinydoll, my Iset’s smile. Each one of my dolls has a feature or an expression that I am drawn to. I just got a Myou 3 body for my Mayakdolls Ichi head, and I really love the sculpting of the torso.

17. A number of years ago, I noticed that on all of my Cerberus Project dolls (both on Luts CP and Fairyland CP dolls), the second toe is longer than the big toe. I thought that was such a cool, cute little addition! And the smirk that Shiwoo dolls have, depending on the angle, they can look so mischievous, curious or simply just smiling.

I'm not a creeper but, on my newest doll, (Volks Hatsune Miku Dollfie Dream), I noticed how amazing her belly button is! She will definitely have more outfits that show it off!

I'm another one that loves elf ears, but to that I'll add CP's version of vampire teeth. They depress the lower lip just a little bit, and I find that to be really cute.

Ryu

18. Ahhh I'm really enjoying reading everyone's posts. :D there is so much to see and do much to love on these dolls.
      I have many things I love too, not just artistic navels :XD: I have so much fun playing with the moveable fingers and toes on my doll Chateau youth. My Demon Garden male body has the most gorgeous, shapely legs, especially his calves. There are a lot of hand sculpts I love for different reasons. I think my favorites are from Volks and the Aria Doll girl, and less gracefully, but that's why I love them: the old Granado 64 guy. They are a bit short and muscular for a doll's fingers and I completely love that.
      I love the incredibly stylized musculature on the same old Granado body. And I love the ridiculously long legs on my Loongsoul Grace girl. I love the hourglass figure on my Ariadoll 14 year girl body and the thick thighs and legs on my Iplehouse nYID girl.
      The SQ lab SG 53 body has silly proportions and the teeny hands and feet are a delightful icing on the cake.
      I love a doll with large ears, and Aria Doll Narvy has my favorite. An old Bimong 60cm Narin sculpt has my favorite ski slope nose.

19. I looove this thread!
      I'm still mentally compiling traits I love in my resin crew but I gotta say my Morningstar Doll Francesca has the cutest chub on her body. She's not just artistically thicc, she has a little belly pucker and her hips are full, making it very cute when she sits in soft things because she looks at ease in her big soft body.
      I love that my LR Andre has a smile that does NOT Smize based on his faceup. It's like a smile and it looks good from certain angles but then you realize his eyes aren't crinkling and then you're like "ho boy, he's definitely an arse" but on the flip side my LR Jelle's head DOES smize so he always looks happy and mischievous no matter what, his smile is making his eyes crinkle that little bit.
      I love the old MDF body, the one that is "slim" but not "slender" and not muscular. It's kinda stocky and still has some baby fat on it, making it very suitable for a teenaged character who hasn't finished growing.
      I love my Ecchium's incredibly silly pout. It 100% looks like he's sticking his lip out in a big ol' sulk and it makes me laugh, because I can't imagine why the sculptor did that (except maybe it was supposed to be a sexy pucker instead?)
      And because I'm shallow, I love my Impldoll Tony's swell cleft in his chin like Gaston. He has the manliest face of my whole crew but something about a dimpled chin just adds a bit of softness to the ruggedness.

20. On my Island Doll LE, when he arrived he had a finger broken, so I asked for a replacement hand. When it arrived, I noticed it had a little dot of darker resin on the back of the hand, so I like to consider it a little freckle, which I find very cute.