I've typed this other places, but Pip has been dyed with brown Rit Dye. It's the new formulation, so the dye didn't take very well, but it is very even (with the exception of her poor hands, which I lost in the pot!).
- Face-up artist(s):
- Body blushing artist(s):
- Modifications artist(s):
- Dyed: Me
- Tattoo artist(s):
- Date of acquisition:
- Planetdoll Website
- Reason for choice:
- I got into BJDs through jointed action figures (Volks Neo, Hot Toys, etc.) and Pullips. As a result, I wanted me first BJD to be larger (i.e. easier to make clothing for).
However, I wanted to start with a less expensive doll, because I wanted to practice adding vitiligo-like patterns on the resin surface (see project journal for Prometheus), so when Planetdoll started their sale, including Riz, who I thought was *very* cute already, I purchased her. It turns out, it is *much* easier to do this with a light resin doll and then dye it darker in select places (so it's probably good I practiced--It turns out Rit had also changed their formulation with more direct dye, and she wouldn't have even have been dark enough without being tan already!).
After dyeing, I began to like Riz more and think of her as an independent character (I might have to get another Planetdoll in tan for a friend). Pip was the result! She's become my companion to places where I wouldn't normally bring a doll (like college, vacation, etc., because the dye has held up strongly enough I don't worry about chipping). (Her size also makes this perfect!)
- Best Points:
- * space to paint in teeth
* realism in torso
* resin takes dye evenly and well
- Worst Points:
- * lacks upper torso joint
* I'm not a fan of knee and elbow peanuts--I prefer a floating elbow/kneecap, but her elbows and knees are surprisingly flush with the peanut when flexed.
* Her feet are ok--not particularly detailed (her hands are better)
"Pip" [Paget Avaline Edwards]
- Head Sculpt:
- Tan (Overdyed Dark Tan with New Formula Rit)
- New (?) Single Torso Joint Body (she's got the new knee style)
To view comments, simply sign up and become a member!