1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

2018 Half-year Resolutions?

Jul 19, 2018

1. this is my 500th post here on and this November I will have been on the forum 10 years. :goldstar:goldstar:goldstar

I’m making 5 half-year dolly ‘resin-loutions’ that I can hopefully track progress on and complete by the end of the year.

Do you have any 2018 resolutions, (new or that you are re-committing to) that you’d like to track? Please post them!

- activate the new website for Comparison Heaven and complete the photography project set-up for it, that’s my #1 project, despite delays and setbacks on my end, I’m determined!
      - post and interact more here on the forum
      - participate in the 14th anniversary celebrations in August, hopefully the triathlon itself but at least a contest or ‘just for fun’ activity.
      - finish my ‘very basic bare-bones beginner with nothing but a phone camera’ photography guide.
      - organize my collection and start working on doll projects in order again.
      This last one is a hard one for me, and even hard to post about but I need to just spit it out finally. I’ve been ill, de-motivated, many tedious things stealing my energy and my focus, and while I’m not terribly happy about it, (:daisy to illness, iykwim) I’m determined to step past it and make a fresh beginning in this hobby that has been so meaningful to me and that I still dearly love.

#1 mimimontoya, Jul 19, 2018
      Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    2. @mimimontoya Five hundred posts and ten years? You are a highly-accomplished member!

Comparison Heaven is one of the best resources out there for rough comparison and easy navigation. Offline come first, and we appreciate your dedication.

I hear you on the daisy when it comes to health. Life gets us down and sucks our energy away. I spent the first four months of the year in and out of the hospital, and the medicines aren't helping like they should. It's okay to take breaks from everything, and hey, maybe your restart in the hobby will be a slow one. That's all right. As long as you're enjoying it.

...Might as well repost from ye olde Doll Plans 2018 thread...

Older Man Resolutions:
      • Kill the bills and b̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶P̶o̶u̶l̶p̶y̶ ̶h̶o̶m̶e̶
      • A body for Lor'themar or the P̶u̶k̶i̶f̶e̶e̶
      • A̶ ̶b̶o̶d̶y̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶e̶l̶s̶e̶
      • Figure out Magwin and t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶l̶o̶a̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶D̶o̶m̶u̶y̶a̶ ̶h̶e̶a̶d̶
      • A t̶a̶n̶ or grey body
      • Horns for B̶e̶l̶i̶a̶e̶r̶, Kinga, Orcus, and T̶h̶a̶l̶a̶n̶x̶
      • Wardrobe updates. E̶m̶p̶h̶a̶s̶i̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶M̶S̶D̶- Tiny, and characters with few outfits. A̶ ̶h̶a̶r̶n̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶H̶a̶l̶d̶r̶i̶c̶.̶
      • BJD Tattoos?
      • Figure out how to fix Super Gem fantasy leg posing. Or send the Captain to someone who knows what they're doing.
      • Wigs and e̶y̶e̶s̶
      • Reach out to more hobbyists
      • Build more sets
      • Prop p̶u̶r̶g̶e̶
      • E̶l̶f̶ ̶C̶u̶l̶l̶
      • Finish the WIP I started
      • Post more to YouTube and Tumblr
      • Coloured character references that aren't busts
      • More comics? You seem to like photostories.
      • B̶u̶y̶ ̶a̶ ̶r̶e̶g̶u̶l̶a̶r̶ ̶d̶o̶l̶l̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶l̶i̶s̶t̶.̶
      I'm almost done with those bills. Hoping to wrap them up in the next month or two. Unfortunately, most of my plans are going on hold. It's looking like I'll have to quit my job. Until then, I focus on payments and see what I can knock out.

A lot of my body resolutions were crushed by grails. Grails and hard-to-find sculpts, released into the wild. :lol: I'm terrible. But at least I try.

I did end up posting more. On Instagram. Social media is not my forte. But it allowed me to finally get the interaction with fellow hobbyists I wasn't finding on Tumblr. Yay for unexpected bonuses.

The Pukifee is a funny story. I bought a Halloween faceplate with no plans. By the time I'd settled on repainting him as a Guild Wars 2 character on a tan base, my parents surprised me with a normal skin Zoe for my birthday. So I bought a body in tan, but I bought it on a technicality. If I can swing it, I'd like to get a bigger tan or grey body before I kick the financial bucket.

#2 Loptr, Jul 19, 2018
      Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    3. Okay, here goes!

-Make more clothes for my boy
      -Get shoes for these barefoot children (0/2 pairs)
      -More frequent photo shoots, preferably 1 per month
      -Finally make the long trip to the BJD store
      -Build at least one piece of doll-sized furniture

4. I would like to improve my sewing skill to the point where I can make an entire outfit for my girl that both fits and I am not ashamed to show others. I also want to finish her bow, but that shouldn't take more than a few days once i get the right glue.

5. This is so needed! Ugh, a great chance to start over, ha ha. :doh

OK, my new half year resolutions are:

Finish Lysander’s outfit -coat and pants. I know what I want and where to get them, I just need to do it!
      Finish Aiden’s outfit- still searching for the right items. Fun, but frustrating too.
      Finish Nails -ordered his clothing items, just waiting for them to come. Soon, I hope!
      Pay off my last incoming doll (DZ MiYou) for this year.
      Aaand...I’m trying really hard to resist any new dolls. I went way overboard the first half of this year. :frownyblush:

6. Thanks so much for the kind words and encouragement, @Loptr, much needed, much appreciated!
      If we can do anything near as well as Kihaku did with Comparison Heaven, I will be so pleased! Its a good website that has helped me so much to visualize things so I'm really pleased my fiancé and I can step in and continue to be helpful to others as well.
      It's a challenge I'm looking forward to expanding on but right now I'll just be thankful to get the transfer finalized and the new US-based website fully set up.

7. Congrats on your anniversary!! Many :daisy:daisy:daisy To being sick! I hope you are feeling better. I hope you can make your goals and kudos to you for working on such a cool comparison project I'm sure everyone finds that helpful.
      Personally I'd like to:
      -Stop buying dolls!! Over the last year I went a bit bonkers.(yeah, totally nuts)
      -Paint basically all of my dolls.
      -Make clothes with embroidery.
      -Maybe make a wig?
      -Have fun! (Sometimes I get stressed about the dolls not looking how I want so I want to stop that.)
      :kitty2

8. Haha, I was pretty sure I was not the only one so I'm glad the post inspires you too! Happy Half-Year to us all! I hear you about resisting new buys, 3 big ones came home to us this year though 2 were long paid for, the wait times aligned so that all 3 arrived this spring and while I'm so thrilled, it brought quite a sense of overwhelm too!

@lividdarkangel Livid, your girl will really appreciate your dedication and that's a really reachable and solid goal, keep at it!

9. The only dolly resolution I have now is to get a faceup for my Switch Milhwa, Shawn, and maybe my Abadon heads. I'm not in a position to have lofty goals XD

10. Ooh furniture building and more frequent photo shoots sound like so much fun! I hope you will post about both here on the forum! Which bjd store will you visit?

@Loptr I've always suspected that those little Puki minxes (all of them) are never ever satisfied as solo characters...I've secretly wanted a little PukiPuki Pukisha for a while now but I've always resisted, practically knowing (s)he would very likely just be an evil little gateway down into the magical faery world of dollar-devouring tiny cuteness!

Those are such good goals! I think a few of us have maybe been on a buying spree and need to settle in and get to work and hide the wallet for a while! I follow Raouken on Patreon and hope to also do a doll embroidery project eventually, what type of embroidery do you like? Maybe we should join one of the sewing projects here! Thank you for the encouragement, I'm really excited for the comparison website work to proceed!

@Ethra_VII those are great and realistic goals, post the faceups when you get them!

11. @mimimontoya I'm planning to visit Fabric Friends & Dolls :) I'll be sure to share my photos on the forum too!

12. -finish the face-ups, blushings, and incomplete dolls I have
      -pay off my Doll Leaves order
      -get shoes for everyone who doesn't have the perfect pair
      -take a break as I'm broke and expecting puppies

13. - STOP buying dolls, I have so many I can't keep up with them at this point
      - Keep my doll profiles here on DOA more up-to-date, even if the photos don't live up to my high standards
      - Take more photos in general!

So far I've had an issue with buying a ton of dolls and then not really bringing any one of them to a level of finish I approve of... buying less dolls and working on refining the ones I have already is my biggest goal.

14. @mimimontoya I guess a Scandinavian style? I want to make a bunad (still not sure what kind to try) or just Norweigian folk dress which is a little different from a bunad. And a long list of mideval inspired fantasy dresses. I'd thought about making/joining a thread, but I don't have anything worth looking at yet. What kind of embroidery are you most intrested in?

15. Thanks! I have been feeling kinda discouraged about it lately so I needed that.

16. Happily, I've pretty much completed all but just a few of my initial 2018 dolly resolutions.:thumbup I find these threads so helpful in maintaining (and remembering) my goals. Here are the last few things I still need to accomplish before year's end:
      • First and foremost, finish paying off my last two layaways for the year (my grail limited Luts Elf Storm and my adorable impulse buy Volks MSD F-04 Mire.) (Done!)
      • Start journaling about my collection in the beautiful leather-bound ChicSparrow journal I purchased especially for this purpose. After 12 years in the hobby, I finally feel it's time to start getting their stories, photos and information down on paper in a cohesive and creative way. (Begun!)
      • Continue adding to my Doll Profiles here on DoA...and purchase an account upgrade so I can include them all! (Several more added and account upgrade purchased.)
      • Continue to join in on the Sewing Project threads, adding to my dolls' wardrobes. This is great fun, and it really helps keep me on task. (This has been successfully ongoing.)

#16 PoeticSoul, Jul 19, 2018
      Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    17. I love it. :XD:

So, since I never stick to my goals, I'm just going to set a five right now and see where this ends up.

1. Clear out my doll room. I have too much stuff.
      2. Ideally, cut the crew back to no more than 13 dolls. But I've been aiming for this for years, and I just don't know if I can part with that many. (Currently at 17 and two heads.)
      3. Finish Charlie's Quicksilver Cosplay. (He needs pants and a utility belt.)
      [​IMG]
      4. Finish setting up Meghan's room. (She needs the back wall finished and some cool posters and random junk, since she's 16 and messy. Maybe a bedspread suited more to her personality.)
      5. Get poor Stephan a body. (Oh wait, I was supposed to be clearing out...:doh)

18. So I didn't manage to stick to my resolutions for 2018 in any way, shape or form, so this is a really good opportunity to try and get back on track. My priorities have shifted a little, some goals are the same, some have changed a lot. My five (I am stealing the 5 list idea @mimimontoya :) , it seems like a good number!) :

-Finish all dolls that I own, whether that be face-ups, eyes, wigs or outfits
      -Still work on my photography, I am really not good at it and I want to improve
      -Do not sell any more of my dolls, those I have here I have for a reason
      -Do not buy any more dolls, I don't need them (except maybe another Volks Coco, I like having multiples of my favourite sculpts, but this is the ONLY exception allowed)
      -Try to keep up with the sewing rounds and project journals in the crafting section of the forum, if I have time around commissions, because I really enjoy participating and it is a great way to actually make clothes for my girls without getting sidetracked

I'll be interested to see where I am in another six months, and whether these have been achieved or put aside.

19. Good time to re-organize doll plans.

Get my Granado doll. Should be within 3 weeks!
      Get more dolls finished! To do this-
      - Get more dolls the right eyes. 4 pairs have been ordered!
      - Do more face-ups (including re-doing Leon's ASAP)
      - Get better wigs for the dolls that don't have suitable ones
      Things for them-
      - Have a basic outfit for my awaited Granado doll ready before he arrives
      - Make a tan felt love seat to go with the sectional
      - Keep participating in the Sewing Project and making everyone more clothes
      - Finish the cosplay outfit
      NOT buy anymore dolls until the one I'm waiting for is completely paid off.
      Decide whether the dragon girl is going to stay or be sold.
      Future plans-
      - Get a Dollzone body for the floating Soom head
      - Dye both black
      - Buy the head and body for a hybrid I have planned.
      - Mod head/neck to fit together

Let'see how much of this I can accomplish in the next six months!

20. without looking back on what I chose at the beginning of the year...I know I wanted to try to get everyone a manicure, I like that on dolls so much, but I haven't accomplished that once and it has simply changed into practicing painting daily. I believe I made the 'no new dolls' resolution but have failed that six times so far ... and am happy to let that idea go .

a few others have mentioned the sewing project. It is really fun and I hope to keep at that too. sewing-project-sleep-comfy-wear-round-67.778976 link to this month's round.

I am always amazed when I change a doll's eyes or hair or clothes or face or... how they can become a new being. so I would like to try to stay open to new ideas.