1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

a bjd's lifespan

Mar 17, 2008

1. well actually I had a little question to add about the yellowing, I do not smoke, but my mother does (in the kitchen not in my room) but how much worse does yellowing get because of smoke??

(not that I mind much he will age and I will still keep him but I was just wondering if anyone knew:) )

2. just because they yellow doesn't meen I will love the, anly less, but.... anly cleaning suplies that you really like for your dolls ??????

3. To some degree I think it might depend on the type of BJD, so, the best advice if you want a doll for a long time, is research which ones age best. For instance, my V1 Hound is coming on for 3 years old and aside from a couple small scratches in his finger, he quite honestly looks like new, and he has been -played- with; exposed to lots of sun, packed up and hauled across continents in my suitcase, you name it. He gets handled alot and yet his resin doesn't even seem to pick up much grime. I rarely have to do any maitenance on him. Also, the sealants I use on faceups bonded to his resin amazingly, and despite repeated clumsiness on my part, his faceup is still perfect.
      On the other hand, my MNF Lishe is only a year and a half old and already showing her age; she's yellower and greener/grayer than when I bought her, despite thorough cleaning. Her resin is also rougher and has to be cleaned a lot more often. I still love her, though, and she's not exactly falling apart or anything, she just doesn't look new and getting replacement parts if need be would be unsightly, as they'd not match her current color.
      However, on whole, although harder substances [like what our BJDs are made of] face certain issues like chipping and finger breakage, they will over the long term be much more stable than softer plastic items that do not face such issues. Just look at all the old porcelain/bisque/china dolls [which I owned some of years ago]; we think of porcelain as very breakable, but if handled correctly, it will last ages, whereas the softer materials of those dolls are what disintegrates over time.
      Case in point, I used to collect action figures about 6 years ago, and whilst they were made of very hard plastic, along with them I had purchased some very soft plastic dolls that were made to resemble 'skin' [with the soft plastic shell surrounding an inner armature]. By now, the hard action figures I kept are still like new, but those soft dolls turned -very- yellow and depite complete lack of use, they pretty much did start to 'disintegrate' and go gooey.
      Ergo, despite the chip-and-scratch side of our hard resin dolls, in comparison to softer toys, they will probably last a very, very long time. Do your research, certainly, but don't worry too much ^^

4. I PMed rkold a picture of how her headcap attaches, would sending you that picture help you narrow her age down?

This is exciting. :D She may be "yellowed" I'm assuming, but to me, and especially against her boyfriend who is beauty white, she just seems tan.

5. I am a bit worried about this yellowing business. Not like "throw the doll out the window at the first sign of trouble" worried, but a little uneasy. Does the yellowing look like old copy machine yellowing? Or is it just sort of a tanning process? And I have compact flourescents in all my fixtures cause they're better for the environment - is that bad for bjds? Maybe I will have to resort to dolly shrouds :)

6. The yellowing really depends on the doll. Some gets more yellow and some gets more ivory. I think a lot of it depends on the colour the doll starts out with.

7. I guess I will hope for ivory then - much better than banana :)

8. [​IMG]

Well, I'm totally not an expert. Does the doll on your left (the girl, the one I keep talking about how I don't know how old she is) look yellow? Especially compared to the beauty white guy next to her? She is apparently from at least 2002, possibly before.

9. i have only been collecting for a year and a half so no older dolls but i wouldnt worry about resin dolls too much. i have a mohair bear from 1904 who is still in pretty good shape considering he is made of wool and stuffed with wood plus he was a childs toy. i wouldnt lay them in the sun but i think they will be fine with normal care.

10. Oh they make a lovely couple, Ophelia. She doesn't look yellow to me at all, like you said maybe a bit on the dark side of normal, especially compared to her boyfriend there. No more yellow than some of the normal skin resins I've seen pictures off. If you set her next to, for example, a DIM from the infamous batch of pink (though I've got one, it's really not bad in person) she might look yellow, but if she looks fine next to her boy, and looks good in your eyes since it's your opinion on her that really matters, I wouldn't worry about it. ^_^

I can't really add anything else to the discussion as my oldest doll is the aforementioned DIM boy of the pink '07 resin and my only other doll is blue. I'm not too worried about yellowing personally, on Ryo the yellowing might just bring him to a more normal looking "normal" skin tone (though I must admit I like the pinky-white color he's got, and Ariel if he yellows will most likely look a bit green which I'm fine with. As long as it doesn't happen overnight, I'll worry about it when it happens and I'm not going to be so afraid of it that I keep them locked up out of the light!

11. I don't care. I'll grow old along with my dolls. :)
      I don't want to leave them... I want to age gracefully as they do.

Another thing: There might be already a cure for yellowing by that time. I would totally want my dolls be restored no matter how much it costs.

12. When I read this thread I think about attic-findings. Many things have been thought forgotten and been found there in perfect condition.
      Maybe someday in 2030 or so one finds a doll that has the year 1999 on his/her head-cap and sells it in perfect condition for some 1000$.
      Just a though I wanted to add. ^^

Laoky

13. My words probably won't add anything to the discussion, but i think that it is kind of stupid when someone buys a doll with the intent of playing with it, at least, and end up getting paranoid on like, the sun touching it with the fear of yellowing, or closing it in a box when it is too warm or too cold and such. In my opinion it is against the idea of having a doll. Of course, if you have a doll because you want to look at it and stare at the beauty, it's perfectly ok :) I just think that it's sad when something that is supposed to be played with at least a little ends up in a box and getting dust (and thus other kinds of damage..)

14. If you're lucky the yellowing just makes the skin look more real. Or doesn't effect it's looks as bad, but the doll itself should last a plenty long time. It's just that some doll's skintone will tend to yellow or age more noticeably than other skin types.

15. Geez, I have seen antique dolls that are CENTURIES old and people STILL pay the big $$$ for them. I personally like my stuff to look "lived in" and personaly I plan to pass my bjd's onto Dd and she will be thrilled to have them (if she doesn't speed up my passage to get them early that is LOL).

16. I think yellowing will depend just on the particulars of the resin. :) My oldskin Megu will be turning 7 years old in March next year and her resin hasn't yellowed extremely. She's actually lighter and less yellow than my CP El who is a year younger. I haven't seen a whole lot of changes with her. She's still as lovely as the day she arrived.

17. The "fluorescent olive" thing kind of scares me...
      I hope when mine eventually yellows, it's not a weird color. ;.;

18. I was worrying over the same thing. Thinking how little we really know about how the resin will age in the future. I imagined my BJDs eventually disentegrating, though I doubt that would happen in my lifetime.

I started a similar topic about a month ago in the debate section: http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324167&highlight=hold+worth
      I was trying to convey the same kind of question the OP did, but didn't do a very good job, I think. D: It ended up turning into something else...

19. I'm pretty sure the "flourescent Olive" thing only happened to a couple of dolls, as a result of unstable colourant in the resin. It was one or two tan dolls, and if I'm remembering right, it happened fairly quickly (under a year)
      There was also a period of Luts "beauty green" in which their white-skinned dolls had a faint green undertone, but they actually arrived like that, and having one myself, it's not all that noticable unless you sit them next to a rosy-tinged or paperwhite doll.

20. I have only seen a few cases of dolls going (badly) green, and those were mostly iple's real-skin, but I believe they've improved their formula (the new UV kind) so it shouldn't happen as quickly.

My oldest boys are 2 years old, just turned two Oct 13th actually (:D) and they've mellowed out, if anything. They're CP Delfs, and not nearly as yellow as when I first got them.
      My ws doll from dollmore has yellowed a little bit (he used to be paper-white), but it's not terrible; he'll be 2 in december.