1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

a bjd's lifespan

Mar 17, 2008

1. From all the pictures that I've seen of older Fairyland dolls, the resin that they use actually appeals to me more as it ages. Their natural skin tone mellows from pink to a creamier pink that just makes it look more like real skin to me.

2. I think all it matters is how you take care of them.

I really don't want to think of how long my doll will last...so I'll just have to make it worth it while he's here

3. Yellowing or not, i don't think that matters if you love them. ^^
      And of course, if you love something very much you WILL take good care of it.

I'm really new to this hobby and personally i don't know if i'm gonna keep them for my entire life, like everything in life changes may occur. But if you really like your dolls, i think you're gonna learn to deal with yellowing and aging too. ^^

4. Most of my dolls are from 2004. The difference between those displayed in sunlight and those mostly hidden away in their boxes is vast.

With both, sanding and coating is a cure all. So, I wouldn't worry too much about the aging of polyurethane or French resin. These dolls are much more easily repaired than dolls made of porcelain or composite. :)

5. Everything (or almost) last forever, you just need to take care of it.
      I have plushies that I was given when I was born, I can keep a dolls as long as that and more if I take care of it.

6. As people have said- really about the resin- color and company.

I had a doll that has been around for almost four years and when I sold him off he was as good as new- and he was a tan doll which is notorious for discoloration. Likewise I have a friends' DOD from the same age and he's yellowed, directionally yellowed, and has horribly chipped ankle joints. He looks old. Part is the resin/company and part was care.

7. I find that really strange, I did my doll's face-up and never sealed it and it hasn't changed, nor has his skin color changed even though I have had him for nearly 5 years and have left him in the sun.

8. I have my two bjds for nearly a year, and I will keep them forever xD

9. So far, aging and yellowing has been nothing but a boon for me. My first boy Lane (angelregion Ren Mid 2006) Is a bit yellowed and his face has smoothed a bit from being re-faceupped repeatedly. The advantages? He was a little on the sickly pale side when I got him, and the yellowing has evened him out to a more natural skintone. As far as his features smoothing a bit, Since there were fewer sculpts on the market at the time, I ended up getting a pointier boy than I would have liked. Now, he looks more the way I originally intended.
      I live in Arizona, land of heat and sun. It would be unreasonable for me to expect my boys not to age a little/lot, since just taking them in the car to the park here is as bad as two days in direct sun in a place like California.
      So! Aside from my rant, an example on Dolly Aging. Oh! And even the wig is the same. (Yay frizzy Scientist hair!)
      Lane Opening week:
      [​IMG]
      Lane Nowish:
      [​IMG]
      Please ignore crappy faceups in both shots :...( One was my first, and the other is half done.

As a final note, A lot of people talk about clothes staining around here. I think that that more than any other aging problems is HIGHLY dependent on your environment. Other than one very crappy pair of fishnet gloves I used as a shirt, and a velvet I didn't think to wash, I've never had clothes leave a mark on any of my boys. (Note, in both cases, the cloth that marked them left stains on me too after just a couple hours of wear) I think the higher the humidity where you live, the more likely you are to have the clothes staining problem. Lower humidity, Far less to worry about. Then again, where I live MSC takes all of about 10 seconds to dry rather than the recommended 15 minutes... so It could just be an 'extremes of humidity' thing too..

10. We all age really... I wouldn't love my dolls less once they start yellowing, truth be told I don't even know how old my dolls are (adopted) at first I thought fiebe must be old because she's yellower then Rufus, but now I think he's a normal skin and she's just a yellow skin XD I don't know it suits her... All my dolls are different resin, it just suits there personality... not sure how Nicky my snow imp will look one he starts yellowing... but I'll just blame global warming ;)

11. My Loren is only a year and three months old, but she has already yellowed a bit. I've never put her in sunlight though the ceiling lights in my home are rather bright. Our climate might have something to do with it, but I don't really know.

Despite that, I only noticed the yellowing when I cleaned her head cap and sanded it very lightly -- it turned a shade lighter and some yellow dust came off. I compared the head cap to her face, and yes, it's not just a wig stain because the face is slightly yellow compared to the head cap now. I didn't notice before because the yellowing was evenly distributed so it just looks like the doll is more 'ivory' now.

I don't think it affects her look, and I'm not too worried because my little experiment demonstrated that yellowing can be lessened. Some years down the road, when she gets more yellow, I might have to remove her faceup to clean her face and then redo her faceup...but I'm willing to do it.

If you plan to keep your dolls and pass them to your children, 'yellowing' might actually add value to the doll because it would show how old they are. These dolls are collectable items and 20 or 30 years down the road, they may be out of production (the specific molds you have I mean), and become more and more valuable as time goes by.

12. Personally I'm not worried about yellowing at all. I've seen plenty of plastics that yellow over time, and even if my boy ended up the color of my old 1980s computer monitor and case, I'd still love him.
      If the yellowing or greening ever got TOO bad, I'd probably just consider either giving him full-body airbrushing, or a darker complexion with a RIT dye bath. No big deal.

What I wonder about the most is, how does yellowing affect their resale value? Would you be very put off by the idea of buying a doll that was 5-6 or even 10 years old, that had yellowed decently or even severely? Is it an acceptable thing, considering the ages, or does it destroy the value in your mind?

13. I'm not too worried about yellowing - my DoC Zen is approaching 5 years or so now and his 'yellowing' [if you can call it that] is barely noticeable. He looks better now, actually.

14. it depends on how you handle them, if you handle them with care they should last a while. But they will yellow a little. and the face-up might chip a little or some other things might chip if you drop them.
      with one of my guys i'm like, the third or fourth owner, and he's a white skin, although a little greenish by now, but i love and like him non the less. I have him for 1 and a half years now but I guess was at least 2 years old when I got him.

15. some of my dolls have heavily yellowed or greened in the case of the CP elves, but I love them just the same. Some of my oldest dolls have recently undergone a full sanding to reduce the colour change, not because I found it unattractive, in fact I rather like the yellowing on some of them, makes them special and it is a natural process, in Japan there are some who consider this makes then more beautiful, but on some of my dolls the characters are sickly pale, so I had to sand them down.

I do not think the ageing process is a real issue for most of us, only if you do silly things like leave them in the sun, but you can protect them by keeping them in the dark and taking them in light when you go to meets or photoshoots, and by coating them with a UV protectant.My dolls have yellowed but all have done so evenly as I take good care of them. The worst of my dolls is my Yder Elf Vamipre,a nd that is because he is from the "beauty green" period, he came to me looking green! he has also been with me for going on 5 years, so I don't think it is a really big issue, and I know I could fix up his colour if I wanted, hell his OE elf head is a soft creamy white thanks to blushing and sanding, and now sits happily on a whiteskin DoI body, and I love it to death

16. Just as everything ages... everything can also last, and last for a long time. I mean, we just realized our Christmas decorations are already 30 years old; not looking like new but here, I'm hoping to pass them on my grandchildren (to be accused of being stingy by them, no doubt).
      Anyway, the oldest ABJDs should be 10-11 years old by now, and I'm sure I've never heard anyone complaining about their dolls melting into goo or disintegrating into dust yet :) One sign of "age" in dolls would be yellowing, but I'd say that's more of a natural process that any indicator of a doll's lifespan coming to an end. As long as a doll is taken care of well, we should be able to pass them onto our grandchildren... or requesting them to be buried with us I suppose, in case you don't trust anyone else to be as loving of them as you were in this life.

17. Honestly, yellowing is one of the things I really don't worry about too much. I've seen pictures of dolls who yellowed into beautiful peachy colors. For me, I think it's interesting to see what's going to happen to those dolls once I get them and own them for a couple of years.

With that said, I do plan on having my coming dolls for many many years.

18. your doll is probably not gonna start falling appart after a few years. YES he or she will yellow, but there are many trics to unyellow a doll (or u can simply deal with it. it just end up looking like an asian XD )
      i had a doll that was almost 5 year old... his yellowing wasnt THAT bad.
      also u may have to redo his/her faceups every few years. other than that, i think ur doll will last as long as you :)

19. i have seen some yellow dolls and i kinda like it.. so i am not worried about my dollies aging. thats why i didnt get any white skinned dolls though...so the yellow might be less noticeable