1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

A Small Collection or a Big One?

Jun 11, 2012

1. When people ask me how many I have, I usually say "too many" :sweat I know for many people my collection is actually pretty "small" or "medium sized", but for me its definitely gotten bigger than I ever intended.

At the moment I have 10 full dolls and two heads waiting for bodies, which had me a little overwhelmed, especially since I just kept planning more. So I've stopped collecting and planning to give myself some time to really get the ones I already have to a place I'm very happy with. Then I may add another one or two in there.

So at the moment (and this may be subject to change later) I'm considering 15 to be 'big/large', at least in my own personal collection. That would put me currently at 'medium', which I got to because my original "plan" of 3 was just too 'small' ;)

2. Do you plan to keep your BJD collection small or big?
      I plan on keeping it small, mainly for my husband's comfort level. The only other dolly person he really knows has around 30, so he's afraid that's what I'll become. I keep things in mind like how much space I'm comfortable with them taking up, how many I want to care for and make clothes for. I'm sure I'd have more if my hubby wasn't so afraid of my friend's collection. :p

How many dolls would you determine as little or a lot?
      I think a little is under 10 and a lot is over 20. But that's just me. :p

3. I started the hobby just over 4 years ago with the intentions of Amir being my ONLY one. but he was lonely....so I got Loki. >.> But they needed friends....so I set my limit at 6. Then 13.....and now my limit is 26.....but several want children, so atm, my limit is 26 "main" dolls, and 13 "second generation". As to what I currently have home or in the works, I have 25 "main" dolls and 5 "second generation", for a total of 30.

I also have 3 characters with more than one shell, (Amir, Zack and Parker) but since they are the same character, I count them as just one doll...

Sometimes, I do feel overwhelmed and wish I had stuck to my rule of 6. And I consider selling and getting back down to that number. But when I look at my list and at the dolls, there just isn't anybody I want to part with for sure, so I'm keeping them. I've tried selling dolls off before and in several cases, I regretted it and ended up bringing them back. So....I think I'm going to just stick with my 26 + 13. :P

For small or big collections? It's really hard to stick a number on it. but for me, I'd say 5 or less is very small and over 25 is a lot. but I can't say what is "too much" or "too few", since I think that really varies from person to person. One may feel overwhelmed with just 3, somebody else might have 90 and love them all and want more.

4. I currently have 4 BJD, which is definitely a small collection. I have plans for at least two more, possibly 3 more, but I'd like to keep my number under 10. I would say anything under 10 is small, between 11-25 would be medium-sized and anything 25+ would be large.

5. I have 4 and don't plan to get any more than 5. I actually wanted to keep my collection at 3, but I couldn't resist buying a LTF Chloe when she was released and I'm too fond of the 3 I have now to sell one of them. I want to have a very small collection as I don't have much time to spend on my dolls and I imagine I'd feel a bit overwhelmed with a large group of them. I consider under 5 to be a small collection, and 15+ to be a large one.

6. I'd say, for me, neither. I am already heading out of the small collection neighborhood, but I don't want so many that half of them get neglected. From here, I will probably only add if I really love something. I probably won't actively seek out new members. But you never know :doh

7. Like so many here, I started out with the idea of just 2 dolls. There was an error when I ordered my very first doll (I should've taken it for the Sign it was *rolls eyes*) and the free head sent was the wrong skin tone. I eventually got the correct skin tone head, but by that point, the character the head was supposed to be, refused to be that sculpt.

And it was a steep, downward slippery slope from that point on.

Currently, my collection is 19 dolls (18 BJD's & 1 OT Obitsu). I have plans to add 3 more OT dolls to that number (but that's okay as they're 25-28cm tall, so small and not space consuming) as well as a rather strong desire to add 3 more MSD's and another tiny. I start to hyperventilate a little when I think of how many dolls I may end up owning.

Not all dolls I have were intentional (i.e. looking for a particular character of mine to shell) either. I have a "rule" about only bringing home character dolls, but some were characters that unexpectedly jumped me as soon as I saw their sculpt. I've also received 2 dolls as Xmas gifts from friends (they were dolls on my Maybe Some Day List) and my most recent addition was completely unexpected as I actually won him in the charity raffle at DollNorth.

When will I draw the line at the size of my collection? I really don't know. At one point I thought 10 dolls would be too many for me. Then it was 15 would be too large. Then 20 dolls would be unmanageable. I think the number of too much for me is on some type of sliding scale that keeps sliding higher the more dolls I get.

And that original wrong skin tone head? I still have it as a floating head. I know who it is but I'm resisting getting him a body as once I do that, I will need to buy his partner and that ends up putting me even further down that slippery slope of a massive doll collection.

8. I think I will keep it small. I like not having any more clutter than I already have now. + My budget isn't helping.
      I will have my handmade dolls all over the place anyway. XD

9. Well, I meant to keep it pretty small when I was just starting about a year ago. I started off with one, and didn't really think about any more for the next few months. Then my family got me a tiny as a Christmas gift. Now I've got some extra money from graduation gifts, and I'm planning on buying a doll I've had my eye on for quite some time. So my collection just keeps expanding. However I'm going to keep it under 5 for the time being; I don't want to be lugging a huge doll collection with me all throughout college. :lol:

10. Collecting anything isn't the sort of thing one really plans, but here goes.

What size do you plan to keep your doll collection and why?
      Probably seven dolls, I have three, am saving for two more, and am considering getting another two after that.

I'd also like to know what you'd consider a big collection and/or small collection.
      I think up to 7 dolls is small. 6 to maybe 18 is medium, and anything more than 18 is getting on for a large collection. It's all relative though, to me. I never dreamed I might one day own three BJD's, let alone seven :)

For me, I plan to keep the collection fairly small simply because I'd feel more comfortable.
      Although everyone is different - what you say is good for me too. I'll keep mine small and probably have seven dolls maximum, due to having to make up my clothing patterns from scratch, and sewing for them all, buying wigs, shoes, and all the stuff that keeps me on Ebay until the wee small hours. ;)

11. At first my plan was to only get one (small collection LOL) than I thougt : "just one more". Now I have 3 bjds, still a small collection. I really sound like somebody who drinks beer at a party and wants to go home, but says "only one more"...before I go...
      If one has more than 10 dolls, for me is big. But ask me again one year later
      love, koekie

12. Do you plan to keep your BJD collection small or big?
      I'd consider mine too large - 20 full dolls. For me, it's just too much money in the form of yellowing resin. If these dolls didn't age (or if the aging didn't bother me), I'd want a large collection, but since they do, I'd like far fewer. I just can't enjoy them individually when there are so many, though I know there are other people who aren't bothered by this. I wish I'd stuck to buying 1-3 a year, and spent more time with each doll before getting a new one. However, looking at my dolls, there are very few that I 100% regret buying.

This depends on the price of each to me. I consider over 10 to be a lot if they're all $500+ dolls. If someone had 10 $200 dolls, it wouldn't seem like a lot. I guess my threshold would be around $5000 spent on dolls only (not including clothes/hair/eyes). People with space restrictions would probably think more in terms of how much room is available.

13. Right now I guess you could say I have a smallish-medium collection. I have 10 counting everything I'm waiting for. I'm happy with the number of dolls right now, I don't feel like adding a lot more right now, but in the future I have a big wishlist. I just don't feel the need to buy them all now.

14. A moderate collection is what works for me; neither tiny nor huge. I didn't join the hobby thinking I'd only get one, but a huge amount of dolls unnerves me and it has nothing to do with the cost. It actually felt like a relief when I downsized my collection by selling a pair of dolls and minimized my wishlist on top of that. I think about 20 dolls is my limit and even then it's almost too many. Right now I have four full dolls and am awaiting on a body for one of my four floating heads and another tiny. That will soon bring the tally to six full dolls and three heads, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

15. I never set a limit on how many dolls I would have, and I never will. I love the collecting, building characters around them, etc.

I don't think it matters what size your collection is, as long as it makes you happy- and you remember to pay your other bills first!

16. There are a lot of pretty dolls out there I'd like.... but when I think about it, I'm much more comfortable with the idea of a small collection, 5 dolls or less (though I suppose I could make some exceptions for really tiny, like 16cm and under dolls.)

17. I don't really intend to ever have many dolls. I like being able to bond with them, as if they're my own children. Of course if someday I had 10 or 15 children, it would be hard to pay attention to all of them as much as I would if there were only a few! (allthough when the time comes for me to have kids I'd like to only have one)

I have my MSD boy (Kadan) right now, and my parents are buying me a YOSD girl (chiisa) for my birthday (in a lil over a week) and I think that's all it'll be, at least for now.

My limit would be 5.... but that's me.
      In general, for other collectors, I say anything past 20 is a bit much....

18. Do you plan to keep your BJD collection small or big?

Like so many people in this hobby I started out with wanting just one, and it took me a year to even decide that. After my first doll it was a year before I got my second doll, who was a gift. And then I suddenly lost the reluctance I had with aquiring and I got quite a few dolls in the two years following. I now have 15 dolls and will have at least 19 by the end of this year.

This is completely personal and different for everyone but to me, under five is a nice small collection, 5-10 is medium-sized, over ten is nearing a bigger size collection and with 20 it is starting to become really 'big' to me.
      I think I'm going to get to 20 and see how I like it. If it feels overwhelming I might try a 'one in, one out' approach (selling a doll for every doll I want to aquire) and see how it works for me. I could stop browsing the forums for dolls but that just seems a bit of a unrealistic goal to me, as I like doing that a lot and don't want to miss it. But at a certain point I feel I do want to stop aquiring, at least for a while. I'm not sure if it will really happen but for now that's something I think I would like to try.

19. well i started off just wanting one bjd. Now i have 9 bjd's and one head.

20. I always start with the plan of buying "just one". Just one Pukifee. Ok, a Pukifee and her Littlefee sister. Ok, another Pukifee. Now I am at the point that I will get every Fairyland doll I want and can afford, mainly PKF and LTF. We'll see how long it will take until I buy dolls from other brands, too^^