1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

A Small Collection or a Big One?

Jun 11, 2012

1. HUGE!! I am a crazy collector. When i start collecting, i go all out. My last hobby of Asian fashion dolls numbered in the hundreds. So my BJD collection is also pretty much headed that way :) And no, i have no room to properly display and play. They stay in their boxes like everything i collect. It's sad but i know one day i will have enough space to let them out.

My count right now is 138 with 13 paid & on their way and 2 waiting for confirmation so i can pay. I have another 4 that i am planning on ordering within the next few days.

2. Well I plan on having a miedum sized collection! I am hoping to get one of almost every fairyland bjd starting from a minifee down to a realpuki! Already getting a littlefee!! Very excited!! I think that will be enough for me, but I won't know till I have them all!

3. I would prefer to keep my collection small.

Ideally, I would like to say small is under 5 dolls and large is over 10. However, I expect that in the near future, I will be saying that a small collection is under 10 dolls and a large one is over 15 :)

4. Right now my collection only consist of 3 dolls and a floating head.
      I def want more dolls, but I probably wouldn't want it to get too big, unless I had the money to support the hobby. There's a few that I really want to get.
      But after that don't know how many more will come.
      Hopefully I can get all the ones I really want. C:

5. I'd like to keep a rather small collection, maybe 2-3 dolls total due to how expensive the hobby can be. What I consider to be a large collection can be anywhere from like 7 dolls into the double digits.

6. Since I agree with many that what is considered a small or large collection varies from person to person as well as over time, I'll just say what my personal experience has been:

I first thought I'd just have one low priced MSD, mainly because I never thought I'd be capable of spending so much on a hobby (I've never been interested in game consoles, games, or major electronics, or anything that cost a lot of money in general, so I didn't have a frame of reference for pricing of luxury commodities when I first started this hobby). That has since changed, as I now have 8 dolls (2-70cm, 3-58cm, 2-43cm, 1-26cm) and 3 heads (2 SD-sized and 1 MSD-sized) over 4.5-5 years of actively 'collecting'. I would consider my own collection to be on the medium to large side, and I am considering paring down my current collection, but at the same time I do have other dolls I wish to purchase.

What caused my having one doll to my current collection of eight is due to both a change in my perspective and a change in my financial situation. Having acclimated myself to the high prices of these dolls, when I became able to purchase more dolls and more expensive dolls, I simply decided to get more. My most expensive doll is $500, and while I currently have no desire to spend any more than that on a single doll, I wouldn't rule out more expensive purchases in the future. I have definitely been overwhelmed with want for lots of dolls, but most of my passions burned hot and fast, so I usually wait a few months before deciding if I wish to purchase a doll. Most of the time, the answer is 'no, thanks'.

Right now I am facing another shift in the way I think about these dolls in that I feel I might enjoy handling dolls around the MSD size better than anything larger. This is unfortunate, as I own quite a few SD-sized dolls, and I adore their face sculpts. This might lead me to stop purchasing larger dolls regardless of how much I love their faces, and focus on the smaller sizes. I am also unsure if I should keep my larger dolls; my thought process right now is to sell them and buy the mini-sized dolls on my whishlist, thereby funding my future dolls with proceeds from my current dolls and limiting the physical space my dolls inhabit right now. However, like many others here, I find it very hard to let go of my current dolls.

So basically, while I do consider my current collection to be perhaps too big for me, I have no idea if I will increase the number of dolls or keep the number around the same. :sweat

7. My current goal is 16. I don't expect to own more than 20. As a LIFETIME goal, I'd say 35 at the MOST. I want to make sure I still have time to give each doll the attention it deserves.

8. To me, five or less seems like a very small collection in this hobby, 6-10ish is medium-small, and above that up to 20 seems 'average'. No matter how much time I've spent in this hobby, 25 and above seems like a pretty big collection, and 40+ seems huge! Of course, size does end up mattering somewhat; having a big collection of pukis would take up far less room and investment in each individual doll than SDs.

I never planned on only getting one--my initial plans did call for at least three dolls, and I know I considered five ideal. I like having 'sets' and I spent -a lot- of time working out exactly what I wanted before spending a dime.

In the end, ALL the dolls I wanted in my original plans were changed eventually, and yet the plan has stayed surprisingly intact in it's own way; I still want to buy from the same company, I want five dolls from them to make a 'family', et cetera. And yet, my tastes have also changed since then, so I want to branch out with more 'sets' to fill different niches in my collection!

In terms of pure numbers I'd say 5-6 would be the ideal range for me, like I first believed,and yet I can't seem to POSSIBLY trim my wishlist down that far! Luckily, though my plans have definitely fluctuated a lot over time, they haven't spun out of control and it's more like I've gained more of a handle of what I want and what's available with time. Right now it's at thirteen. But somehow, it's strange how some of those dolls seem to 'count' a lot more than others--for example, four of those dolls are cheap 'low-priorities', mostly tinies, and they each require MUCH less commitment than the other doll's plans on my list. And two more are almost like a single entity, being matching twins.

Hmmm, so I guess I'd say I hope to have a 'sizeable but not large collection' by the end, and believe that things will take their sweet time before I manage to collect to that point. I don't mind being patient, so long as I can get what I want eventually! I like that with a smaller collection I can store them easier, keep track of them better, and give more attention to each individually; like for my five-set family, I want to give them each nice wardrobes and multiple sets of shoes! It's strange for me to think of only getting -one- wig, -one- outfit, -one- pair of shoes. I can't even stick to that for my cheap low-priorities!

<3 ali

9. it depends on what you consider small and large to be honest...
      Ive been around long enough to see lots of people with 100+ so that is considered huge to me. By my terms small is 15 or less, medium would be like 16-50, large would be 51-100 i guess?
      I fall into the medium category, I think i have around 30ish bjds and save for a few sculpts i must have im pretty content to stay in that range. My collection consists of dolls i cant bare to part with so i think it may just increase very slowly over the years

10. I plan completing my wishlist of 15-20 dolls within the next 2-5 years, depending on finances. At the moment I have 6 dolls (+1 I recently ordered) and 2 floating heads. However with new dolls being released all the time, it's impossible to predict how many I will end up with. I would consider that to be a medium to large collection.

11. What size do you plan to keep your doll collection and why?
      &#8203;I'd like to keep my BJD collection under 10 dolls. Although I find myself loving many dolls, I'm pretty good at keeping my wishlist down to a minimum. I think anything over 10 for me would be overwelming, not just because of the dolls but because of all the clothing/wigs I'd have to buy! 10 and under just seems like a good amount of dolls for me because it's enough for variety but not too much that you feel like you're drowning in dolls. But seriously all power to people who have huge collections, I just can't handle that many :)

I'd also like to know what you'd consider a big collection and/or small collection.
      Basically anything 10-15 or over I'd consider a big collection. A small collection would be 5 and under and in between is medium!

12. Right now I'll just start with one, lol! It will probably take me long enough to find out what I want exactly anyway... But I think it's really up to the individual to decide how many is too many. ^-^ Luckily, we all enjoy things in different ways!
      It makes me wonder though, reading about people who have 100+ BJD's... What is the largest collection you've heard of? :D

13. Ideally, I'd like to have 5 and keep it at that but I know as soon as I get the money I'll want another. I don't really have the room for any doll above MSD sized so my "5" will be no larger than that. (I'd certainly break that for a Yeon-Ho B type from Crobidoll, though.... *_* or a Ringdoll Chai. I'd make it work. :3nodding: Fortunately... neither of them will be joining me any time soon so I'm safe.)

I'd prefer a small collection just because I don't really have the space for too many and I'd like to keep my dolls high and away from my cat. But obviously, everyone's situation is different so it's really up to you to decide how many you really want... since there's basically unlimited character ideas one can create.

14. I started out without any plans at all. Then I made some and never kept them, so now all plans are banned when it comes to numbers :lol: At first two sounded OK to me, then another one came and another one. I'm not even counting them any more, though I know I'm at around ten. I just buy what I love now and sell what I don't and I have no idea when that will stop. Some tend to pair up, others demand boyfriends or siblings and my group of OC's is fairly large (which means at least another future 8-10 SDs). But I do understand that some people get overwhelmed when they have too many. With me it usually means that one of them doesn't fit in, or that the sculpt is wrong for the character. Or even that I can't work out the character for a sculpt (impulse buys that weren't meant to shell specific guys) or that I like a certain doll more in people's pics than irl.

Oh, and the largest collection I know of is at 150+ That's huge to me, but who knows what I might end up with. Good thing my hubby has stopped asking me when I'll quit ;)

15. 150+?! Where would you put that many dolls? Unless they are all PukiPukis. :3nodding:

16. When I started out I said I only wanted two dolls, a very specific two that have been changing randomly and now the number is growing. The more dragon dolls I see, the more I want all of them, I've fallen in love with Dollzone and Doll Leaves alike. It went from "I want these" to "I need all of them." A few Resinsoul pixiu for my one day children, with different heads of course, a couple of luts dolls, one soom if I get my way, I haven't even gotten my first doll and it's already spiraled out of control.

17. I want at least 20 eventually but I need a full time job first. I think a big collection would be more than 40 and a small one about 10. That might change though as I get more into the hobby. At the moment I only have one doll and a head.

18. My wallet would like to keep it small but I am not in agreement with it so I hope we will find some compromises there, I am too new to the hobby to know, I have 4 girls for now, awaiting for another one and a for ever growing wish list :0).

19. Mine's over 70...and still growing. And no, not all Pukis. Most are SD!

20. I'm a gamer by heart, so while the dolls do seem expensive at first, i realized I've probably spent more on gaming equipment and electronics than i could ever spend on dolls. Right now my collection is at 13, which is sometimes crazy to think about when I've only been buying for less than a year. I comfort myself with the fact that I know each and everyone's story, and that they were all bought well under market value. Eventually my collection is going to end up being one of those crazy +100 ones people talk about.:sweat The only thing limiting my collection is my other hobbies.:)