1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

A Small Collection or a Big One?

Jun 11, 2012

1. Originally I wanted a small collection, possibly one boy and one girl so I could spoil with a huge wide range of wardrobe. But I'm not even 3 months into owning my first semi unofficial bjd and my collection is already growing. I've got 3 hujoo's with 1 on the way. A goodreau yosd boy and i'm waiting on my doll love Cecelia. Now i Plan to have a semi big family and i don't feel too bad about the wardrobe because i know some will be characters like my dream gem doll Mina from doll master. Luckily i know my collection won't grow too fast because i really don't have the funds too, I wouldn't even have as many hujoos as i do if my order didn't get messed up.

2. After browsing this thread I do think that a small collection is under 20 dolls. I have 15 dolls and will most likely buy a couple more, but definately not over 20. 15 is reasonable to manage and buy clothes for them, having more than 20 dolls would mean that the resin kids will have less clothes and shoes. ;)

3. Since I arrived on DoA I have noticed that quite a few people have 100+ dolls. I haven't been around here very long, but long enough to make me understand how quickly and easily dolls can add up XD... At the same time, I can't imagine owning that many myself.

Around this time a year ago I owned three dolls (one MSD and two SDs) and thought that I would stop there because I didn't think I'd be able to handle more. Though I loved my SDs immediately, I found their size slightly overwhelming - I'm not very strong and I wondered if I would be able to restring them at all.

Somehow, a few months later, all my inhibitions about owning more SDs had disappeared... I fell in love with another one and bought her. I am feeling much more comfortable with my dolls than I did a year ago. I know now that I can make clothes for them, paint their faces, restring them and enjoy them. A mental barrier has disappeared - which makes it even easier to plan more dolls.

However - I feel I should try to stop when my projected family is complete. I have so many ideas for my dolls and want to photograph them, but setting up photos and making outfits takes time. I want to try and focus on that before contemplating possible additions to the crew.

I thought ten would be a nice round number. However, with my latest arrival I got a free 16 cm doll, so that makes 11. - Did I mention this is my second year in BJD Land O_o?

4. Do you plan to keep your BJD collection small or big?

I don't really have a plan on when to stop, but I imagine that my collection will become quite big (although this is pretty far in the future, the plan I do have is to take it slow, no more than one doll a year until I've gone from studying to working, and then we'll see). I do have a plan on which characters my dolls will be, and a rough estimate on who is important to get home first, but the list consists of over 50 characters, and that's only so far...

How many dolls would you determine as a little or a lot?

This really depends... Under five is a few, possibly under ten as well, over fifty is a lot, but not necessarily in a bad way. I mean, if you can afford them without prioritizing them over potentially more important things, and if they all still mean something to you, it's not too much, simply put.

5. What size do you plan to keep your doll collection and why? I think I'll stick at 10 dolls. I'd love more, but time and money is a factor when I have another hobby that takes up both.

I'd also like to know what you'd consider a big collection and/or small collection. When I owned 1 doll, I thought 5 dolls was a big collection, and so on.

6. Since my last post, i now have 149 and awaiting 19 more. As for anyone wondering were the heck i keep them, sadly in their box and stacked in closets & bookcases in my house. I wish i can take them all out and display them but i have no space.

I plan on continuing to add to my collection as i am an obsessive crazy collector, haha. And i can't stop.

7. The biggest number of dolls I "want" to get would be the following: 3 SD, 3-4 MSD, 2-3 Yo-SD, and one tiny. More than that and it would be too much.
      With other words; around 10 dolls.

8. i want an extremely big collection, so big that i would have 2 separate rooms filled with them and only for them with little furniture and beds to suite their needs.^o^
      i'm gonna have to work hard like crazy to get to that point lol

9. I don't know how many dolls I will have one day, so far I bought 10 this year and I know there are lots more I want and there will be lots more in the future that I also need. And while I don't see me selling any of my dolls I also don't think I will end up owning 50+ dolls... On the other hand I already own over 20 Pullips and never expected that and also own over 700 ponies so who knows... I will definitely have a bigger collection rather than a small one.

10. I don't make plans because I just get what I like and who knows what I might like in the future! but thank God, I am not the kind of person who wants every doll out there :P

11. I wouldn't want more than 10 currently, because I wouldn't be able to display them all. I like to show them, but not when my house looks more like a doll museum than a place where I live.

Right now I own 5 plus 2 floating heads... I think I'll need a long time before I reach my limit :).

12. I'm pretty happy with my current collection of 4 MSD size and one SD. But I'm really tempted by wanting a YOSD girl too...

13. At first I thought, like a lot of people, of having just one that I could really spoil rotten. Then I thought, well maybe up to 5 would be nice...and then 7. But these limitations were purely based on financial concern really. I collect dolls like a child does, so I never wanted more than I could mentally, creatively and emotionally "play" with. They must be concretely defined characters to me, with unique personalities...so I'd feel ultimate guilt if I ever forgot one of their names!:sweat Eventually I figured I'd be happiest with around 12. (Considering I've been active in this hobby for 6 years, that's only a couple of new dolls a year, so financially that has been completely do-able.) I currently have 10 with one on layaway. Every one of them is spoiled rotten too, with elaborately furnished display spaces, 2-3 wigs a piece, perfect faceups to suit their personality, and their very own wardrobe. And I've been quite content to keep my numbers in that "around a dozen" range for the past few years. It's just where I'm most comfortable. The fact that they all have elaborate displays is a self-limiting factor that has really worked for me. I use the displays like one would utilize artwork in their home, so overall spacial balance is very important...one too many dolls in a display area sticks out like a sore thumb!

I'd consider a small collection to be 5 or less, a large one to be over 25.

14. I currently have 13 BJDs - 3 tinies, 1 SD + 9 MSD. I am planning to buy another SD soon and will probably get two more SD (as a couple) some time in the future. So, I hope to keep my BJD collection below 20 dolls. I think it's enough for me. Partly, because I have other non-BJD dolls as well - about 70 of them. And my main problem is space.

A small BJD collection for me is below 10, a large one - above 20.

15. when I first started in this hobby I wanted to have a huge doll family but now I want a small one (about 5 and even that seems pretty big to me)
      if there are less of them I can spoil them all more ^^

16. Do you plan to keep your BJD collection small or big?
      I've given myself a limit of 10 dolls (excluding tinies), because I live in a small apartment and I also feel some dolls would be left untouched if I had more. I have other hobbies and I don't want to dedicate all my spare time to one hobby only.

How many dolls would you determine as little or a lot?
      It depends on the space you have and the spare time you can give to the hobby. I feel 25+ is a lot but if you have a large home and plenty of free time then it probably won't seem excessive.

17. I'd say a big collectio is anything 8+. At the start of the hobby I wanted to have a big collection some day but now I just want to pour my time and efforts into my exsisting dolls.

18. At the moment I'm down sizing. I'm hoping ot get down to only three dollies. I feel like I got in to the i need this habit with out really thinking about why I wanted it and what was making me want it. Most of my dollies i bought out of sprites of stress, but I haven't really bounded with any of them sadly! There is one I will NEVER EVER SELL! But all the others I could part with.

19. I want to have a big collection. I already have seven on-topic dolls and plan on getting more. My wish list is quite long, but over time I tend to weed out some of them, but it still grows. Right now, the one on my profile is pretty long, but I bet I will never get half of them. I want to focus on the ones that I already have but it's hard when new sculpts are always coming out. >.<

20. Depends on when you would like to retire ... XD

I have just a handful left- two tinies and 2 minis. It helps that I can get them put away in a single drawer :D I think with less I can appreciate each one a little more than if my collection was larger.