1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

A Small Collection or a Big One?

Jun 11, 2012

1. I would love to keep my doll collection small and managable, but these dolls just keep showing up at my door (lol).

2. I just got my first doll and already he's taking up a lot of space with clothes, accessories, etc. So even one doll is a large collection to me. BUT, I keep looking at dolls and I know that eventually someone else will speak to me like my boy , Kell, did

3. What size do you plan to keep your doll collection and why?

I was hoping for one or two dolls. That plan only lasted a year.

Then I was hoping under 10 dolls. That plan lasted 4 years (not bad, considering).

After that--no plan and number of dolls has skyrocketed! *_*

I'd also like to know what you'd consider a big collection and/or small collection.

Hmmm... Small, under 5... or maybe 10? Hard to say. Big is 20 or more.

AND--no judging! Big or small--it's up to the person and there is no bad or good size other than how it's viewed by the individual.

--Planning... works for those who are disciplined enough, but I can't do it! I try. But eventually things crop up to mess with my plans! (Doll-wise, anyway.)

4. Hm, I really don't know where I might going with my collection since I didn't have the rule for just 1 Doll at the beginning, but I didn't expect me to re-sell the dolls ever, especially my smallest doll, but things sometimes just happen.

I "want" to keep my collection small because I really have a lot other hobbies... and sooner or later I have to safe money for a new car... I think if you really just haven't any other hobby at all, you'll soon end up having like 30 dolls (no offence). It's just 'natural' for a collector to collect I guess.

I currently have 4 SD Dolls and 1 MSD on the way, I used to own 2 other complete dolls and 3 heads which I sold.
      I did sell the others because either I didn't really bond with them and they were alot more different than what I expected, or their character didn't really fit the size any more (I'm bringing the one character back which was realized in a yosd doll now in a msd one) and not because they were too many...

I consider 5 or less as a small collection 6-15 as a medium collection 16-25 as a big collection and 25+ as a very big collection, and so on.
      But it depends a lot what you do with the dolls. If you have 50 dolls just for the sake of having it, customizing it and put it in a glass show case and never touch it, then you might be fine. But if you want to create characters, photograph, sew for them and play with the dolls I doubt if so many are even possible to handle. (I could be wrong tho, same here: no offence intended)

In the future I see myself buying more dolls, but I don't think I'll ever have more than 11 complete dolls. ^^

5. With my two incoming, I think I'll have nine dolls ^^;
      I didn't expect my family to end up so large (because I do feel slightly overwhelmed by resin, no lying), but I just kept falling for more sculpts, and I just...don't sell, even though I've thought of it.

I think a large collection really depends on the person collection. Somebody could have twelve dolls and not feel overwhelmed and be able to manage them well. Some people could have four and feel like they have to downsize.

For me...I'll probably just keep adding dolls to my collection. It's bound to end up huge for me. But right now, dolls are pretty much my only hobby, so I'm not really taking away from anything else :)

6. I think a collection of 5~10 is the best, therefore I can spend more time on each of them.

7. What size do you plan to keep your doll collection and why?
      I plan to keep my collection to less than 10, ideally no more than 6-7. I collect SD's which are pretty impressive on their own. Plus I tend to prefer fewer items to represent any collection. So even if I went with smaller sized dolls, I still wouldn't collect more than 10.

What you'd consider a big collection and/or small collection?
      Less than 4, I consider a small collection and 10 or more I could consider large.

8. I would love to have a large collection...perhaps one day

9. In the beginning I never thought I'd have as many as I do now. A friend and I joked that we should never have more than ten but I can't even get down to ten now without being rid of a doll I'd regret selling. I think I hover between around ten and fifteen-ish, but that number may have been higher at one time. Right now, I have 14 and that seems ok. If I can fit them on one shelf of my bookcase (outside of my Lusion Dahlia), I consider that a small collection, though others might say large. Actually, at other times I've thought that was a large collection, but I also think it depends on the dolls. I only have three large dolls right now, and so size isn't a factor on top of quantity. When I tried to only have larger dolls, and even though I like larger dolls better in some ways, it got more overwhelming faster.

10. Small, because I can pay more attention to each and every one of them. And I think that I can buy better things for them if they are a few (less than five). Maybe 1 couple (male and female) o 2 couples :) that's it.

11. The size of my doll family changes periodically, but I normally have between 6 and 10 dolls (all but 3 being 60cm or taller). I don't really think it's a very big group since most of them live in a two-story house my dad is helping me build for them in my living room. They just need a lot of bedrooms haha. My 70cm+ are the only two that really live in my world, and they get most of the attention hehe.

12. For me I'ld like to collect lots of dolls, the more the better. As long as I have space and love for all of them. I'm thinking that would be anywhere from 10-20.

13. I prefer a smaller collection. When the number of dolls starts to creep up, I sell the dolls I am less interested in. Owning many dolls feels overwhelming to me.

14. I prefer a smaller collection as they represent specific characters. I also happen to be very picky about the dolls I choose to bring home, and they are mostly SDs, and mostly girls ^_^;

As for the sizes - anything that is under 5-6 SD-sized dolls is a small collection. Everything that is over 15 can be considered a larger one.

15. My collection will probably be rather small. I'm a much bigger sucker for clothes/accessories than I am for the dolls themselves. Plus I don't really have lots of extra cash to spend on dolls, and doubt that will change anytime soon.

16. When I started back in 2011 I had planned on only 2 dolls, now I have 9.
      I need to stop. Well, maybe one more to make it an even 10 :)
      I don't want it to get so large that they become just furniture in the house. I want them to stay special and for me it's easier to do that with a smaller number.

17. having a large collection is nice but i rather keep my collection small as im afraid i cant manage to have so many dolls XD i think having 5 is enough for me.

18. I have 16, but I don't see it as a particularly large collection (I see it as medium sized, with over 25 as being a large collection but it's funny how perceptions differ :P ) and all of mine represent specific characters with their own intricate backstories. To be fair though, I create an entire world full of individual characters when I was a little girl, so I could never really have more dolls than characters to fill them.

I'm also quite picky about the sculpts I buy- I've got a whole list of criteria - but I tend to buy a lot of heads and get bodies later though. I think 5-6 dolls is a small collection coincidentally, although I do remember wanting 8 (my favourite number) when I first started out in the hobby. I quickly realised that having so few just wasn't working for me though, as it's a lot harder to sort out their backstories when 99% of the characters are missing.

(Didn't mean to pick on your post, but I thought the contrast would be quite interesting :) )

19. I currently have one on the way, and one on layaway. It'll probably stay like this for quite some time more, as few dolls interested me enough to buy. A large collection to me is 5 or more :I

20. Unless I move into a bigger space, which won't be for a long time if at all, I plan to keep my collection small. I may get more 27cm dolls or maybe try a tiny, but I should keep the big ones to a minimum until I have more space.