1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

A stigma on secondhand dolls?

May 4, 2010

1. What do you think of owners who own predominantly or exclusively secondhand dolls? Do you think lesser of them or their dolls because they're not the original owners? Is there a stigma to them, or are they differentiated in any way? Are they portrayed in a negative light?
      I think they're incredibly lucky sometimes. I met someone who got a good-condition Minifee in the marketplace for $80--yes, for the full doll! :O I think you're pretty lucky too. Buying directly from Volks isn't the most economical thing to do and I heard they don't mark down the declared value so you'll get charged by customs for the full amount. Sometimes I wish I was as lucky. Like Kirika Dawn I bought most of my dolls brand new because they were easier to get that way. I had no DoA marketplace access when I bought my first three dolls and when I fell in love with my fourth and fifth dolls they weren't in the marketplace. But my sixth doll is a SSDF Cane I bought from the marketplace and his body will most likely be bought from there too. I think I got lucky with the price of the Cane head but not as lucky as the girl who got her Breakaway for $80.

2. I certainly have no problem with secondhand dolls - most of mine were bought secondhand, either here in the marketplace or on ebay. In fact I'm waiting now on my first two "new" dolls coming direct from their companies (Iplehouse Tedros and Soom Chalco) so I have yet to receive a "new" one. I just got into this hobby last summer & fell hard for many limited dolls who were already out of production, mainly Soom monthly dolls, so secondhand was my only option for those.

I've also found some amazing deals on ebay for much less than original price - I'm still stunned my my latest find last week who arrived yesterday, an Iplehouse Chase Magician full set with all the bells & whistles (Chimera parts, white tails & top hat, face up & full body blushing on both heads & all pieces) for around $560 less than he would have been from Iplehouse for all of it (let alone saving on shipping since he came from the USA), everything was brand new and in perfect shape and I am still completely blown away!

3. i dont think there is any stigma in buying/owning second hand dolls. i am new to BJD but i have got vintage Blythe dolls and the history is part of the attraction.

4. most of my dolls were second hand even before i found this site (thank you ebay)

my first 3 were second hand and the two that followeds heads were prizes from a contest. the next 2 dolls were paid for striaght from the company as they were limited editions. and besides my 2 soom tinies and one soom md head, and i got a few puki parts in splits. (mostly clothes there anyway)

but i have around 25 dolls and i'd say around 90% were second hand. and i feel no lesser for it. plus alot of mine i got were damaged and needs some tlc, or missing parts.

5. ALL of my dolls were bought 'second hand' though i know they all have original company faceups and most were in 'as new' condition, and a couple were only pre-loved for a month or so
      i love the ones that arnt perfect though...one of my msd's has scratches around the wrists from S hook problems...my tiny came to me missing her little toe...to me...it means they've lived...they've been places...done things before i 'met them' i think i prefer that than being totally new..i find it easier to connect with :)

6. three of my five dolls are second hand.

there is a joy in recharactering a doll; in knowing that it had a past before it came to you, and knowing that you have the ability to change that past and story if you choose. maybe it's just the writer in me that enjoys the feeling of recreation that comes with second hand dolls.

7. I only have one secondhand doll; however I had no choice. Volk's Mihmi was first available when I was only just getting into the hobby, I had no money to buy her. I ended up buying her close to new on layaway. I wouldn't have been able to do that new, so I think it worked out for the better. :)

8. Well I don't think anyone would know unless you told them you bought your doll second hand, plus I know a lot of people who search on the marketplace. It gives an opportunity to buy a limited you just missed out on or you can buy a doll at a small fraction of the original price plus shipping is cheaper since you can search for a doll in whatever country you live in and I find doll owners are very sweet and give you an extra or two(like an old wig they don't use anymore or a pair of jeans so the new doll won't be naked) I find(with a few exceptions) that the buying experience is much more enjoyable buying secondhand since you could buy a doll and put it on layaway sometimes you can put the doll on a long layaway to make paying more manageable. Most of my dolls were bought secondhand and I just recently started buying dolls direct from the factory and I've found I'm a tad more stressed about it. I'm constantly checking to see if there's an update on my order and constantly wondering what stage my doll is in. At the same time it feels nice knowing that doll is being made specifically for me, to my specifications. I want this skin tone, it's made in that tone, I want this type of body it's made in that body. I know those workers are making that doll just for me which is nice, but at the same time a secondhand doll has more character, it's been through more and giving it a new lease on life is also a nice feeling. I guess what I'm trying to say is there are pros and cons to each a secondhand doll and a new direct from the factory doll. *shrug*

9. I have dolls I've bought straight from the company, and I have dolls I've bought secondhand. I'd have to actually sit down and think about which ones came from where, because to me they're all mine and it doesn't matter in the least where they came from. ^__^

10. My BBB Apollo was "adopted"/purchased from another member... here on DoA and he is one fantastic guy. Stood like a rock right out of the box from the seller and I never regretted the purchase for 1 minute. His character here is soooo different then from where he came from, and there are NO dresses for this man. All I can say is "THANK YOU, for selling him to me."

- ShadowHawke -

11. I have purchased many dolls second hand. The reason for me is they were limited and were not going to be reproduced. And companies like Volks where you have to enter a lottery for the chance to purchase a doll well, not everyone wins. I personally would like to win the doll direct from Volks because the after market prices for LE Volks dolls is well ridiculous.
      My only worry with buying second hand dolls is that I am very delicate with my dolls. I wash my hands before I handle them and I generally try and keep then very immaculate and well not everyone is that way with their possessions. I know people who have no issue leaving their expensive items on the ground. I am not one of them. All my doll clothing is bagged and put away, all my wigs stay in their originally containers. I know I am crazy but that is my thing. If people didnt sell their dolls I would not have gotten mine :)

12. I tend to think of it as an "adoption".

Since I've collected 1950's dolls for years, the fact that they had a history is part of the doll.
      My 2 new dolls from Fairyland are wonderful but my fairyland doll bought here on the MP is awesome also.
      If I can find what I want on the MP would rather buy there.

13. I'm so happy, everyone has given such great food for thought! :whitetruffle I guess my self-consciousness came from the notion that every fandom has its own set of snooty people, you know what I mean? So I thought the BJD community would have something like that as well, especially since this niche hobby is expensive and very art-centric. I'm glad, though, that I haven't encountered any of those people here on DOA, and everyone's very supportive. :aheartbea

I never thought of it from the sellers' perspective. Putting myself in their shoes, if I sold a doll I couldn't bond with, I would be thrilled to see her happy in a new home! Reputable sellers in the secondhand market are those who take good care of their items, too. So, that's a big plus for me. :D

Thank you for everyone's well-thought replies! I love reading everyone's thoughts. Yay! :)

14. I feel much more savvy of a collector being able to wade through the multitudes of posts on the marketplace to find either great deals or an amazing doll that simply isn't available for retail any longer (Soom MD's are a great example.) So far I bought one full doll on the marketplace and one full doll from a company, and the one from the marketplace wound up being the one I think I'll keep forever! It seems communication with those on the marketplace is much more reliable, and you can always request things like additional pictures... I really love the process, and talking to former owners. I just bought pieces to build a new doll from the MP and am awaiting arrival--I guess in that sense I don't get the "box opening" experience I would since the head, costume, and body are coming from three different vendors, but in the end I think I made a great selection :)

15. This would seem to be more of a "debate" than "general discussion" topic, but I own some new dolls bought from the store, and I own some secondhand dolls that had one or even several owners and in some cases were knocked around quite a bit before coming to me, and I like them all (or I wouldn't have bought them) and don't feel any stigma.

There are some doll collectors, not just for BJD but for all kinds of dolls, who limit their collections to "mint in box" or "mint on card" dolls. Which is fine for them, if that's what they want. I like to play to some extent with my doll or at least take it out of the box from time to time, myself. Also, I have been able to get some good bargains on secondhand dolls and in other cases the customizations or history of the doll really added to its character in my eyes.

I just read on the thread in "Debate" regarding the term "Used" that some cultures view the new-vs.-used item difference as being quite important, and some do not. As I'm someone who used to enjoy shopping at the thrift store, as did all my friends, obviously I'm from the culture that doesn't care a whole lot. I'm sure there are people out there who just don't want anything that's not a brand new doll, but I wouldn't let their preference bother me - it's THEIR preference, not mine, and enough people buy secondhand dolls that you won't exactly be the lonely odd-one-out with your doll that's not mint in box new.

16. Almost all my own dolls are secondhand. So I don't look up or down on people who own seconhand dolls..
      And I don't value my own secondhand dolls less than my new ones.
      And it shouldn't matter if they're new or not, as long as the one who owns them is happy with the doll and has fun with the doll, new or not.

17. Haha, if buying second hand dolls has a bad stigma, I'm DOOMED, I have a vintage doll collection (not BJD) , my oldest doll is 51 years old American plastic doll born in 1959! I don't even speculate just how how owners she's got and I am number X??? I love the old classic vintage look and feel.

Back to BJDs, Volks does not sell directly to people living outside the USA and Japan, those of us who own Volks dolls and not living in the US or Japan must have acquired it second hand, or first hand through an intermediary or dealer. We would not have bought it from Volks. I always make it very clear to people I meet where and how my Volks dolls are acquired.

Having said that, I do own several one owner dolls, the oldest have been with our family for 50 years, these dolls belong to my mother when she was young. There is a sense of pride in one owner dolls, they are loved, treasured, protected by the same owner all their lives. I feel proud when I carry my mother's cheap plastic doll to non BJD doll meets, i introduce her like this: "She's a Palitoy of England, 1963, she belongs to my mother, we are her original owners". Unfortunately, I can never introduce my Volks Isao Nanjou in this way, I am his 3rd owner. In time to come, it is Soom Sphaler and Luts Howl who are destined to be one owner dolls. I bought them new from Soom and Luts. The Volks F38 is ordered through an intermediary, in Volks official records and his birth cert which I don't have, I am NOT his owner although I am supposedly his first owner.

OK....I like 2nd hand dolls, the advantage is that I can see owner photos before buying. I love my Isao dearly although I do think about the fact that he is not a one owner doll but now I don't care. He's gonna be stayin with us for LOOOONG time.

18. That whole Mint in Box tradition, thankfully seems to belong more to the Fashion Doll world where collectors see dolls as "things" to show off... one of the best things I found once I discovered BJDs is that collectors seem to have such a personal relationship with their dolls, they aren't "things" anymore. I think that totally takes away the stigma of second/third even tenth hand. If you truly fall in love you don't care about that person's past... it seems to be that way with these dolls too. They become something a lot more than just a piece of resin to the new owner, whether they come straight from the factory or from a previous owner. All my dolls, brand new or pre-loved, they are all just their own characters now and I love them all

19. I see no problem with buying a second hand doll. I'd say half of my doll family was purchased second hand. Good deals can be found along with dolls no longer available through the retail market. My most recent purchase was a SD10 Mimi from Mandarake for the sum of $340. Perfect condition, even got her default wig.

I don't think I've come across a person who had a problem with my second hand cuties. Then again I wouldn't care if they did.