1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

A stigma on secondhand dolls?

May 4, 2010

1. my first doll was a gift, my second I ordered from the company and my third was pre-loved, but I am having issues with him, so he will have to move on to his next home. (lots of trouble bonding, took about half a year to realize that) my last was also directly from the company, but he was an event head with a body that came later, I also still have a floating head that has no character whatsoever.
      I love the fact that dolls are easier accesable through the marketplace, secondhand stigma is non-existent to me. I may not buy a pre-owned doll, but its cool that its possible.

2. In some cases, there might be no other way to get or replace a particular doll. Lots of things in life come to us pre-owned, like house, cars, furniture, clothing, etc. It shouldn't diminish our regard. Some things become more interesting with a little seasoning. I think dolls should fall into that category.

3. the only things that bothers me about poeple who often buy second hand is that they often dont get what they want. ex: they can only find the WS version. then i'm like ''why dont you buy it new then?? you could get the body (MNF offers many body. B-line, A-line, big breast, small breast, muscular, etc.) and color you want!''
      other than that, i really dont mind poeple who buy second hand. and i buy second hand to sometimes. i prefer buying new for some reason but at the same time i hate waiting 2 months. when buying from the market place it takes 2 weeks so...
      maybe i prefer buyng new cuz then there is no faceup residue, it has the new resin smell and i get freebies from the company and things like that. and it also feels more exiting in a way ôo i dunno.
      but to get back on-topic, i really dont mind poeple who buy second hand (in fact, i love them since i sell dolls so often xDD ) and i dont get why poeple would go all ''you dont buy new! you stink!''

4. most the dolls i've bought (and most of my girlfriends) are bought second-hand simply because they're cheaper or were limited. i doubt any dollowners out there are going to look down on people for buying secondhand and even if they did they could go to "H" for being snobby!(but i would be suprised if someone did think that though) i love my secondhands as much as my only company bought one. i think most people buy seconndhand at least once in an awhile....

5. so far i have 13 dolls, and only 3 of the 13 are "new" dolls, I also have 4 more on the way, and all of them are second hand. actually i think 5 all came or will be coming from the same seller (she had most of my to die for dolls) I love getting second hand dolls, when they come to me I give them lots of love and care. they become part of a ever growing family. i see nothing wrong with second hand dolls, I truly love them all ^.^

6. Second hand is the only way I was able to obtain my bjd loving couple Volks SD16 "Olivia" & "Jo." They can be together with my small family of bjd's. Currently, I am working on new clothing and accessories for them as some of the second hand clothing I bought along with them didn't wear well. A few pieces I will carefully take apart, draft clothing patterns, and create new fresh clothing fo them. Some clothing, fabrics, can't be brought back with white vinegar, clorox, etc.

If I can afford to buy second hand bjd's, clothing, etc., in future, I won't hesitate because it could be my only opportunity to have the doll that fits into my bjd family.

7. I dont fell any differens abotu them. Well, when i got Shula she was brand new and all, but then again. It dosent matter in long run.
      And bying secondhand is kinda thrill in this hobby. There is so much limited dolls that you usually miss many those you want. Then there is thrill to find it in net and get it.
      And ofcourse, its green thing to do. :) No doll go in waste, they all get loved by someone.
      Then there is ofcourse custom fees as i see many pointed, if you find one close to your home, you dont pay them.

But summarum: There is no stigma imo!

8. After 3 pages I really want to see a picture of your pretty doll!

9. With BJD almost every dolls I love are LE and Sold Out, so I must buy it from second-hand market, so I don't mind.

10. This. All my dolls - my Peroth aside - are second hand and I never noticed any stigma. Much more the opposite when collectors have found their holy grail after years of searching. Second hand dolls is pretty much what you get when you're collecting rare molds.

11. I really don't see any stigma behind second-hand dolls. In fact, it's a lot like other things, I think it's fairly normal in a lot of hobbies to see second-hand or more things. I have a small collection of toys and figures, some of which were bought second hand, and being that I play with my things, instantly taken out of the box and loved on. Lots of normal stuff (at least in my experience) can be awesome second hand, like homes, antiques, cars (both of my cars have been used, while my sister has insisted on a new one *shrugs*), furniture, bikes. For the most part, I really like items with a bit of character to them, whether it's just their age or some of the wear that they've been through.

That said, both my dolls were bought from the company, but I also ordered each of them the day the mold was released, so there was no chance they could have been on the second hand market yet. I think, if I eventually get more, they're likely to be second hand, however, I need to figure out what to do about Paypal. It's not the doll being second hand I have an issue with, it's Paypal and my dislike for how they work. I like their versatility, however I've hit snags that I did not expect because I never saw them listed in the contract, which has really disappointed me.

12. HALE no. Three of my dolls were acquired secondhand, and all three of these could no longer be bought from the companies in the first place. I have never encountered anyone who "looked down on them" for that, and I have never felt bad for buying them. <3 It's like adopting a puppy - how could you feel bad about that?

13. I've never heard of a stigma against second-hand dolls. Volks dolls seem to be one of the most commonly seen types on the second (or third, or fourth, an so on) market, and there is certainly no stigma against them.

Certainly there are apprehensions on buying on the second hand market due to all of the problem transactions and whatnot, and I would say there is more of a stigma on the market rather than the dolls themselves.

Only one of my dolls is "second hand." I am at least the third owner of the doll, but she's in mint condition, and I love this one soooo much! Since she was a Volks LE that was only released in Japan, there's no way I would have been able to get her without being second hand.

14. I do not understand thinking poorly of someone for buying secondhand BJDs (or a variety of other things for that matter).
      Perhaps a person does not have enough money to buy new dolls, so they buy second hand. Maybe they are good at doing repairs, so they buy damaged dolls and fix them. There are certain LE and discontinued dolls that can only be bought second hand now.
      Most of my dolls were purchased new; however, I have a couple whole dolls that are second hand and a few floating heads that are too. In the future, I will probably buy more second hand dolls because I am planning a few hybrids and I want some discontinued sculpts.

15. Heh. NO. The only doll I have is second-hand and I love the fact that he's second hand. If I ever am looking at dolls I always try to find them on marketplace because it's like re-homing an unwanted object and giving it a home where it IS wanted...

Actually, that's exactly what it is!! XD I would love it if the majority of my future-doll collection was second hand :3

16. The only doll I've ordered so far is a new doll, but I think a second hand doll is perfectly fine. I agree with the OP that having a history only adds to his/her story and makes them more unique.

17. I just ordered my first doll today secondhand. The seller told me he was never really played with, so he's still fairly 'new'.
      I personally like the idea of getting him from someone who owned him before and it's not just because I adore the modding they did to his eyes.
      I think it adds somewhat of a 'history' to him. Not necessarily to the character I'm giving him, but more to his persona and feel. To know that someone is letting you walk away with a doll they once wanted. It's like a second chapter in their life. :]

18. I have yet to order my first doll and haven't really decided whether I want to find it second-hand or buy brand new. The lower price or additional free "goods" do sound intriguing, as does not paying custom fees, but on the other hand... I'm not sure if I'll be able to love used doy the same as new. They are just too much like a real person to me, like an adopted child that will always remember it's parents.
      I want to feel the pleasure of opening the original box for the first time. What if the used doll comes to me with a face-up? I want to give her my own and would feel very guilty for destroying someone else's work. Or she may come already with name and character that just don't suit the one I envisioned for her.

There is nothing particulary wrong with a second hand doll. They are always (with very few exceptions) loved and taken well care of. I would love to give a new home to a doll that can no longer be with it's owner. I'm just afraid that I'll let doll's history haunt me and stop from reaching it's full potential...

19. I actually didn't ask about his old name or character. I'm curious, but I know it may be better for me not to know in case I feel guilty about changing it.
      But these people are also selling these dolls for a reason. In my case, the owner never played with him. I feel honored to be able to bring him to my home and put him back into action.

20. There's nothing wrong with buying a second hand doll, as long as it's in good condition. I think its easier, cheaper and faster especially when the doll is in your country, plus you have more of an opporitunity to buy limiteds or HTF dolls.