1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

A stigma on secondhand dolls?

May 4, 2010

1. Honestly, the quality of these products seem to make for a very good second hand experience. My doll of choice is on Ebay right now. If I get the money while she's still there, I'm getting her. Some day, I want a Soom Glot, too. I'll probably buy that second hand as well. I would never look down on a doll for being secondhand. Honestly, a lot of rare heads and dolls can only be gotten secondhand these days and I may very well like them more than a lot of buy able dolls at the time. I feel no stigma towards second hand dolls.

2. What do you think of owners who own predominantly or exclusively secondhand dolls?
      I think they are thrifty and smart. Lucky too because I can't find what I want secondhand!

Do you think lesser of them or their dolls because they're not the original owners?
      Nope, not at all.

Is there a stigma to them, or are they differentiated in any way?
      I wouldn't think so, but I am new to the BJD community and can't speak for anyone but myself.

Are they portrayed in a negative light?
      Not that I am aware.

Are there any pros or positive points to owning secondhand dolls, whether having some in your collection, most of them, or almost all of them there?
      I would think that the big pro would be saving money!

3. I am still really new here, I do not own any dolls myself ^^; (still saving haha!)
      Anyway, I would buy a second hand doll in a heartbeat! Many of the dolls I want were limited, and no longer for sale... so if I ever want to own any of them, second hand if the way to go! Not to mention it benefits the buyer and the seller on a more personal level!
      I look forward to purchasing my first doll, she may very well be coming from someone elses home! ^_^

4. I would have no issue at all buying a doll secondhand. In fact, someone of the marketplace was offering an SDF Abadon, the sculpt I want, in the limited Spartan outfit, and it was at a great price too. The only reason I didn't go through with it is because I'm not quite ready to buy dolls on the marketplace...

5. I only have new dolls, but that's just me. I personally have nothing against people who have second-hand dolls. I actually think it's kinda nice, because otherwise those dolls might have to be thrown away or put in a box never to be seen again, and where's the point in that? The dolls are meant for enjoyment, be it from you or the person you sell it to. Besides, I've seen a lot of people get secondhand dolls, even ones with unique/memorable faceups, and they do such a good job changing the clothes/hair/general style that it's like a whole new doll.

It's also a pretty smart move for the buyer. Save on shipping, you often get some sort of freebie(s), and the base price is usually a lot less than what it is on the site. Of course, in the case of, say, SOOM dolls, the price reduction might not actually be so much as to make a huge difference hehe

So, yeah, I don't think negatively on it, even though secondhand buying doesn't appeal to me.

6. Is it just me, or do I feel like a "lesser" collector slash doll enthusiast because of my wanting to purchase secondhand dolls?
      I buy most of my dolls first-hand, but I do have second-hand dolls. I don't make any value or judgement calls when it comes to the two. There ARE differences, but none "bad/good" or "lesser/greater" as far as I'm concerned.
      Differences: Expense (sometimes less expensive, sometimes MORE!!!). You can usually get what default stuff you want when you order directly from the company, but second-hand you can also try and do that--but it's more difficult at times. You can get parts replaced if they are defective or broken when it comes from the company--or at least do it with less hassles... usually! Otherwise, geesh, if you can get a doll you want second-hand for less money, I say it's ALL GOOD!!!
      The thing about previous owner and Character "ghosts" is a problem only for you. Or maybe the previous owner, too. Because, truly, most owners make the doll their own--a change of wig and eyes and clothes is enough to totally change a doll, I think. So I never worry about that!!!
      "Old" dolls can happen with dolls bought directly from the company, believe me! I've got 'em going back to 2004. That's just life. Again, it is in your own mind, really.
      Be happy with your doll. Don't worry about what others may think! We aren't thinking much of anything, usually! So don't worry! :)

What do you think of owners who own predominantly or exclusively secondhand dolls?
      I would have no idea who they were because I can't keep track of where other people get their dolls, for one thing. And if I knew, I'd still think nothing at all of it. Why should it matter to me? And even if it did... the other person shouldn't be caring if I have bizarre opinions of stuff! People need to just enjoy the dolls they have and not worry so much about what others think! That way, everything is good! :D

Do you think lesser of them or their dolls because they're not the original owners?
      No.
      1) I own one or two second-hand dolls myself
      2) If you can get a bargain on a doll, I think that's SMART!
      3) All dolls are equal, as far as I'm concerned. It all depends on what dolls I wish to own for my dolls; for others--if they wish to own their dolls, it's all the same!
      4) I like it that there is a good after-market for dolls. It's healthy for those of us who need to sell dolls, as well as for those who wish to buy. Why would I look down on people who buy stuff from me?

No.
      1) I wouldn't know what dolls are first-owned or second-owned, so how could I know to stigmatize them???
      2) Even if I did know, I couldn't see how there could be a stigma to it... I certainly wouldn't want to think of any doll that I sold as being lesser in any way!!! (I have never sold a doll, but sold a head. It was perfectly new and I would hope I didn't give it any nasty cooties or anything by having handled it!!!)

Not that I know of. Why should they be??? Poor things!

Are there any pros or positive points to owning secondhand dolls, whether having some in your collection, most of them, or almost all of them there?
      I do have one, maybe two or three secondhand dolls, depending on how you count it. Some have immediately been resold to me--not played with at all--so are new as far as I'm concerned. Some have been held onto a while. That just means some wear... maybe. The one I had came from a smoking home and she did smell of smoke for a while, but she's OK now...
      The 14 or so others were brand-spanking-new. But my dolls are all my dolls and it doesn't matter where they started out.
      I'm just happy to have them, whether I got them from the company or on the Marketplace!!! I'm happy there IS a Marketplace because several limited dolls I've gotten there--and I wouldn't have been able to have them otherwise!

PLEASE don't feel your dolls really are second-hand in value and worth because you aren't the first owner! I'm sure it's NOT a common viewpoint! Dolls are dolls! They are all wonderful to someone (to you, if you are the owner)--and that is all that matters! :D

7. What do you think of owners who own predominantly or exclusively secondhand dolls?
      Smart. They've probably saved significant amounts of money getting an essentially new doll. This is the case with my doll. There's no long wait for the doll to get to you either.

Nope.

Maybe I've not been a part of the community long enough, but this notion seems ridiculous to me. Why would there be a stigma?

I don't know. But if they are, they shouldn't be.

See first question.:)

8. My first BJD is third-hand (adopted from threadstarter delgadina!), and I seem to have this... penchant(?) for finding third-hand lovelies. In a third-world country, I think it's actually pretty practical to get dolls secondhand if possible. It's what I'm planning to do with my doll family, and I won't love anyone any less just because they're not brand new. :)

I don't feel any less of a doll collector because I've run off and adopted third-hand dolls, though I do feel pressured to love them more. :P I don't see second-hand doll owners as any different from someone who only adopts brand new. Sometimes it "can't be helped" due to the availability of a sculpt (my very first dream doll was phased out years ago, but I found her in the Marketplace), or sometimes due to financial restraints (not everyone can drop hundreds of dollars on a doll).

I'm aware that some people do look down on those who adopt second-, third-, maybe even eighth-hand dolls, but I guess it's just a matter of surrounding yourself with the right people who understand your situation. :)

9. Two of my very dear dolls are second hand and I will never EVER dream of changing them for new ones and let alone selling them! >_<

Needless to say, I do not think that a doll have less value just because it is second hand...the value lays on the owner, if it is important to the owner or not. I see all my dolls with the same eye and heart, I have basic, limited, second hand and new dolls...they are all equally important to me and if the owner loves his/her doll, that's all that matters.

Unfortunately, there are narrow minded people in this world who think that the brand name is more valuable than anything else and this includes whether something is new or not. Just ignore them, our time is not worthy of them.

10. No. I don't know anybody who puts any kind of stigma on secondhand dolls, and I've never heard of secondhand-doll owners ever being portrayed in any kind of negative light. The idea is ludicrous. We need the secondhand market in order to even acquire a lot of of these things-- especially rare, discontinued, LE, OOAK, or HTF dolls.

11. What do you think of owners who own predominantly or exclusively secondhand dolls?
      We're awesome. Just awesome. :D

No, considering I'm one of them! I am the owner of my dolls, and I don't care who originally paid the company to make them. They now belong 100% to me.

I have never ever seen that here or anywhere else. I think the opposite - people who buy secondhand get bonuses that firsthand owners don't!

No. Never seen it. Can't envisage seeing it. If I hadn't seen this thread I wouldn't have even thought of seeing it.

Loads! 1) Save money on initial cost
      2) save money on shipping
      3) save money on customs
      4) save money on shipping method
      5) it's much quicker
      6) problems with the doll's posing etc may have been ironed out by the last owner, saving you work/money
      7) you may get free things with the doll, from faceups to shoes to cute little gifts
      8) you get to interact in a personal way with the seller and even make friends in the process
      9) it's usually much easier to get in contact with a single person on DOA than a company through email or Q&A
      10) You're giving a doll a loving home!

Frankly I don't understand why some people choose not to buy secondhand. Maybe I'll start a discussion about it!

12. What do you think of owners who own predominantly or exclusively secondhand dolls?

They're no different from anyone else in the hobby. Besides, I think in a lot of cases, the only way you're going to get something (be it a doll, a limited outfit, etc.) is to purchase it secondhand. Companies discontinue sculpts, some even go out of business, etc., and I for one am glad for the option of being able to get a certain doll, even if it isn't available from the company anymore. Seriously, if buying secondhand wasn't an option, I myself never would've gotten my little paws on one of my most favorite dolls in existence (Unidoll Ark). Do I ever look at him and wonder if people are looking down on me because I didn't purchase him directly from Unidoll, when they were still in business? HECK NO. I look at him and grin like a maniac and feel lucky. ;)

Why would I? Why would anyone? Thinking 'less' of someone because they aren't the 'original' owner is ridiculously petty and childish.

If there is, I've never, ever heard of it. In fact, it seems to be quite the opposite. Honestly though, what exactly are people supposed to do with the dolls they don't want anymore? If you don't sell them you're out an awful lot of money, and that doesn't make sense no matter how you look at it.

Again, not that I've ever heard of, and I do hope that nobody would ever feel as though there's anything wrong with buying secondhand. There certainly isn't.

13. I bought my first doll a bobobie because it is one of the cheapest dolls i could get and i liked the sculpt. My second doll is slowly being paid off and I'm buying her from a friend. I have mad love for people who are buying second hand. The person that got me into the fandom buys most of her stuff second hand <3!!

14. I bought my first 3 dolls from the companies, and am paying off my first secondhand doll. And after I finish this layway, I plan on buying my next doll second hand!
      I think it doesn't matter if they come from the company or secondhand, what matters is how you feel, and that u can give them a good home! :=]

15. So far all my dolls are ordered directly from the companies and it feels awesome that they were produced just for me because I placed my order. They were not around if I had not decided to get them.

On the other hand one main reason to get all dolls new was that I had no marketplace access and I won't buy from ebay. Now that I can buy on here I find a lot of secondhand dolls that I want and I am just buying my first secondhand doll these days. Mainly because she is sold out and I have no other way to get her. But I will keep on buying from members here, especially when they are from Europe because that makes it so much cheaper.

I don't have any problems with pre-owned dolls nor with their owners. As soon as I get her she is mine and I don't think about her former life.

16. I have bought both new and rehomed dolls. I have to say I don't feel different about them just because they were not perfectly new. All of the ones that are "second hand' cost me much more than the doll would have cost if I was able to buy it when it was originally released so I have not found any of my "secondhand" dolls to be less expensive. I purchased the "second hand" ones because I either missed them when they were released or discoved them later and HAD to have them.

I love then ALL but my most favorite is an off topic Kaye Wiggs doll that goes everywhere with me. She cost me over $300 more than her original release price of about $550 plus shipping from Italy to the US which was very expensive. I was considering buying a seond one but the one I found is even more expensive than the one I have. It would cost me over $1000 to get the same kind of doll from the person selling her now.I have decide that is more than I want to pay at this time since I have two dolls on layaway (both new limited dolls). In general it does not matter to me whether or not the doll is new or second hand. What matters is that I want them and love them.

17. I see nothing wrong or different with 2nd hand dolls except the age of the resin but clearly that does not really reflect how they are - new or old. However I guess I can't lie it feels a bit different with me when I buy a doll that has no clear character of their own. I seem to not bond to dolls that have had quite a bit of backstory or history because somehow they don't feel like 'mine'. Those that did not have much of a photo life or backstory I seem to bond to a bit more but that alone is still not something that determines who I can bond with or not.

To make it short, no, nothing wrong with 2nd hand dolls. 3 out of 6 of my dolls are 2nd hand. :)

18. What do you think of owners who own predominantly or exclusively secondhand dolls?
      I think that they don't have interest in any newly released dolls and the ones they wanted happened to be discontinued or not that easily to get otherwise.
      No.
      I hope not.
      I sure hope not.
      Since this hobby has a lot to do with collecting, there can also be limits to how many dolls a person can buy. So the second hand market plays a huge part for collectors.
      I also have a doll I bought off the MP, with a really original face-up and a lot cheaper, yet not yellowed and well cared for. ^^

19. Most of the dolls that I want are ones that for the most part I would only be able to get second-hand. I've never had any personal stigma against second-hand doll unless it was a matter of it being damaged.

Yes, of course I would like to get an item brand new because there is an appeal to unveiling the doll from it's mummy wrap and opening up all its pristine full-set company goodies for the first time. lol, sometimes I look forward to second hand then I don't have to go through the trouble of prying out that hot glue CEMENT that they use, plus you wait a week for the doll to arrive rather then months like when I got my full choice system girl and my 2 dolls I won off of Volksusa.

20. I haven't counted, but I'd say its safe to say my collection is about half and half. Really, it doesn't matter if a doll is new or second hand. It's still new to me! Sometimes, I want a doll that is out of production or limited or was available only as an event doll. The ONLY way for me to get these dolls are secondhand.

Price and layaway terms are often factors for me. If I have the money in hand and can buy a "used" doll off the MP for cheaper and faster than a new one, I will. Though lately I've been buying more from MoC, since I've wanted dolls that are in the $400 range and I don't have that kind of money to just pay out in one payment. It seems sellers on the MP have been saying no to layaway (or wanting short layaways of a month or less) more and more. I'm not able to do that, so in that case, I buy new from a dealer/company that has layaway terms I can commit to.

I don't buy fullsets or dolls with faceups, so that "brand new pristine, never touched mint condition" means nothing to me. I just get excited to have a new doll. :P

As to others who own secondhand dolls? Ummm...if you don't tell me, I'll never know. :P And people redoing my old characters? I'm fine with it! I have friends who have bought dolls from me. I think it's interesting seeing what they do with them. Once I'm ready to sell, that doll is no longer my character anyway.